Chapter 8 - JaeYoon Couple

Seduced in Sleepless City Vol 1

"Oh goodness, its time already. I'll never make it on time."

I was making a mad dash to the snack food bar in Yongsan. Geez, I cant believe they picked today of all days for the editor's meeting to run late!

I should have gotten Hyun Joong's mobile number from his brother!

I checked my phone while I stopped at a traffic light but there were no messages from Hyun Joong. He wouldnt get mad and went home, would he?

Oh come on,turn green already you stupid traffic light!

When I enter the bar, he was there, seating near the counter.

"Sorry, I was late!"

"Oh Jiyoon. Not at all."

"The sudden meeting ran late. You must have been here for a while."

"Its no trouble. I enjoy waiting."

"You enjoy it?"

"Yes, its normal in business and dates. In fact both are alike, "he explained. "Waiting gives you time to reaffirm your true feelings."

"Your true feelings?"

"You keep waiting and of course you're happy when the other party shows up. It fills your heart with hope. But when the other party stands you up and never shows up, it hurts your feelings deeply. It drives home exactly what kind of person you were waiting for."

"That does makes sense."

"If one grieves over no shows, that shows how much attachment and care they have for that person and their business. And that right there makes me feel alive."

"I think I see what you mean," I smile at him. "So even when you get stood up in appointments with people who arent that attached, it doesnt disappoint you too much."

"Just so. My apologies for the old tangent," Hyun Joong said with a wide smile.

"No, no. That way of thinking really strikes a chord with me."

"I'm happy to hear you say that."

"By the way, what kind of street food do you like?" I asked.

"Lets see. I've always taken pork skewers on trips."

"Oh really, me too."

"I remember having plum candies a lot."

"Ooh!"

"The color would stick on your tongue when you ate them," he continued. "My mother forbade me from eating them. She was so angry. But of course I was a kid so I'd buy them on the down loe and eat them. Though I insisted I wasnt eating them with Joongie."

"Mhmm but the color of your tongue gave it away eh?"

"Exactly. Though at the time when Joonie and I would go, how'd she know. Then we'd see each other's faces and figure it out."

"You and Jae Joong must get along really well."

"We sure do. Speaking of Joongie, he's fond of broiled eel snacks. He used to carry one around whenever he went."

Street food doesnt really seem to be Jae Joong's thing.

"He said that when he grew up, he'd buy out every one of those snacks across Korea."

"I wouldnt put it past him now either."

"He'd probably scoff at street food these days."

"Still there's such a gap with the image of you and street food." But being able to quietly reminiscene about such things must be Hyun Joong's appeal. He's mature, sophisticated.....

After we tasted the food there, He offered to show me his favourite snack bar Nambu Makkuksu in Gangwon.

"Wow, this is some rough traffic," I said after gazing thru the limo's window.

"It certainly is for this hour even for the weekend."

"Oh is that it? "Something on your mind?"

"No, I just thought that they might be filming Joonie's drama."

"Huh?"

"I seem to recall some mention about an upcoming filming for the new drama. The catering for it was done thru my hotel."

"Oh, you're right. There's the drama filming crew!" I pointed out at the window.

"Then that explains everything. Sorry, that was my fault for neglecting that detail even after learning it." He look at me in regret.

I smiled at him. "Not at all. Oh there's Jae Joong!"

Oh, did Jae Joong just look back this way?

"I think he noticed us. Care to drop by for a minute?"

"S-sure."

But it would take a miracle to spot us out of such a huge snarl of traffic. Oh, maybe he recognize his brother's limo.

"Jae Joong! Hard at work I see."

He didnt look too happy to see us though.

"Why did you two get out of the car for?"

"Didnt you just make eye contact with me?"

He looks away. "Why would I do that. You arent imagining things arent you."

"You must have noticed my car," Hyun Joong said.

"You had a filming today huh? Why didnt you tell me your schedule?" I asked, feeling a bit upset.

"Why? You're on a date with my brother today of course."

"But it must have been fate that we happened to pass thru here! As long as we're here, can I snap some shots? For my story of course!"

"Hurry up and get going!" he said angrily to me.

"What?" I was surprised by his sudden outburst.

"You're on a date with my brother now. Stay focused?"

"Stay focused?" I raised my voice a little a him. " Dates arent jobs, you know. And this is not even considered a date!"

He look surprised at my tone. "Its rude to your partner to notice other men during a date."

"Other men? But this is you we're talking about, Jae Joong. And its for work..... " I cant stay angry at him that long.

He look so cute, so handsome too.

"If it was me you were on a date with and your focus is on some other guy, I'd be gone."

"Y-you dont have to take that tone.... " Why is he talking about that? Its making me feel bad.

"Now now, no need to get upset Joongie."

"Hyung, make sure you put a tight rein on this one. You have to watch out around her."he said before returning to the set.

Jae Joong seems to be acting really considerate of Hyun Joong. They're brothers but he still worries about work and private time.

"Jiyoon!" someone calls out to me.

I turned and saw Marsha approaching. We hugged.

"Hi Marsha!" "What brings you out here?"

She saw Hyun Joong behind me and looks surprised. "Oh my, and with Hyunnie too!"

Hyun Joong bowed slightly at Marsha. "Long time no see Marsha. I forgot there was a filming here and got stuck in traffic."

Marha look at us. "This is a couple I dont get to see everyday."

"We wanted to go to this little street bar in Gangwon. What about you Marsha?"I asked.

"Ooh, I want to go too!"she said excitedly. "Whenever I hear about street food, it brings me back to the days when I was still trying to act like a man. I'd wear tough guy school uniforms and everything!"

"Are you working on this drama too Marsha?"

"My style is all the rage in this drama. Oh and Joongie looks good in everything. Its so fun!"

Her words make me think of changing clothes on a doll.

Hmm? Over there, is that ? Its Hyuna!

"Is Hyuna in this drama too?"

Marsha turns her head around slightly, looking at where Hyuna is standing.

"She sure is though its just a cameo appearance. But I wont waste my time styling that vicious girl." She turn her head back and smiled wickedly. "I've got an assistant handling her."

"Oh but will that be okay?"

She smiles at me happily. "Oh dont worry hun, its fine. My assistant doesnt like her either so he said, he'd give her a look to do her justice."

Hyuna sure does seem to have a lot of enemies.

"It looks like the traffic has cleared up. Let's get going, shall we?"

I noded in agreement. "We'll be excusing ourselves then."

"Oh? Going so soon? Hold on, Joongie, Joooooonnnggggiiieeeeee!"

"Marsha, dont worry about it."

Jae Joong came over,"What is it?"

"These two said that they are leaving," Marsha informs him.

"Hmm."

"Thats a pretty curt attitide to take," Marsha teases. "You sure you dont want to throw in any parting shots? Like telling your brother to keep his hands off Jiyoon?"

I think Marsha is mixing up drama and reality.

"Thats for them to decide. I've got no reason to.intervene."

Jae Joong.....For some reason, his words struck me in my heart.

"See you around and keep your eyes open," he said before leaving us.

"Right," thats all I managed to say.

"Tch, tch, tch. There he goes again. He's just not honest," Marsha commented sadly.

"Lets be off then. Marsha, give my best regards to Joonie."

Jae Joong......

Marsha kissed my cheeks as goodbye before she went back to the set. Its a shame I couldnt get any shots of Jae Joong's drama filming set though.

We finally reached Hyun Joon's favourite snack bar but somehow my heart wasnt in it anymore for some reason.

As I nodded absently to Hyun Joong's talk on the drive to drop me off, for some reason, Jae Joong's face floated thru my mind.

 

 

 

 

Oh, I couldnt concentrate on my work. I was moody and my face is gloomy. I wont get any work done correctly if this goes on.

"Jiyoon!" Nicole appears next to my desk.

"Oh hi Nicole."

"Here I am! Jiyoon, are you free today. Please tell me that you're free."

"What? Why?" I dont have anything to cover on today so I am free I guess but.....

"I've made plans to go to a mi-ting after work today. So I was wondering if you wanna tag along"

My mind instantly flew to Jae Joong. If he knew I was going to a mi-ting, what would he think?

 

"Whats wrong? You're going right?"

"Well..... " What am I thinking? This has nothing to do with him. And why would he care anyway. Surely.

"Mi-ting and I dont really mix."

"Oh I get it. They never give you good memories, is that it? Dont worry, I'm sure this one will be a success!"

"Okay, I'll go but nothing more."

Nicole was so happy. "Great! Your partner today is a major businessman! He's also an amateur model at our magazine."

"Is that so?" I asked, pretending to be interested.

Nicole nods. " He's into women who would make good wives and wise mothers. I heard that he has good social skills even with foreigners."

" I see." "So you'll have to dress neatly buy stay in current fashion trends. I'll leave earlier and pick you up after work. So you'd better go shopping first."

"What? You want me to go shopping for a mi-ting?"

Oh, she's gone. Nicole really blows thru like a storm. I could go back home and change into something more appropriate . No,that wouldnt work. I'm not all that interested but staying single forever wont accomplish anything.

 

End of Chapter.

 

Text received ~ Jiyoon, Thank you for spending the evening at the snack bars the other day. You were so open hearted. It was a delight to speak with you. I'm grateful to you for constantly looking after my brother, though he does have some selfish tendacies and I hope he's not causing you any trouble. If the chances arises again,it would be my honor to have you join me once more. Do your best in your work. - Kim Hyun Joong