Overheard

When Your Boyfriend Got Married

“Argh! That was tiring! Is this really a field trip or internship for a week?!” Mark said as he plopped down to the couch in our hotel room.

 

“Yeah! Good thing we’ll be going back tomorrow!” Ivan added.

 

Tonight is the last night we’ll spend here in Japan. A week has passed and we were all tired. Whenever we come to visit a broadcasting station, we end up doing some work instead of just touring inside. We always run into some Korean media people who have work here and we also end up helping in their work. Who wouldn’t be tired from that?

 

We just arrived from another tiring work for one of the biggest radio station in the country. And as usual, we helped in the production of a segment. The six of us decided to chill in our hotel room. The two boys sat on the couch while us girls sat on our own beds.

 

“What time is our flight tomorrow?” Jinhee tiredly asked.

 

“About 4 in the afternoon.” Steph answered.

 

“Then we can have some fun tonight! Want to go to the rooftop?” Jinhee excitedly said, suddenly all the tiredness banished from her system.

 

We were all in shock by the sudden change of her mood, but we still end up agreeing to her suggestion.

 

We went up and was greeted by the loud music and dancing lights. There were a few people drinking and dancing. We even saw our other classmates here. Maybe everyone wants to make use of this last night.

 

We first headed to a vacant table and sat for a while, enjoying the view.

 

“I’ll just get us something to drink.” Ivan said to Steph, he gave her a quick peck on the lips before he quickly stood up and get some drinks.

 

I was shocked to see that happen in front of me. I guess my shock can be clearly seen in my expression as everyone looked at me weirdly.

 

“Why?” Steph asked worriedly.

 

“Uhm…are you two…” I asked confusedly, pointing at her and Ivan continuously.

 

 They all chuckled.

 

“Why? What am I missing here?” I asked slowly.

 

They continue to chuckle.

 

“You didn’t know?” Jinhee asked.

 

“No…so you two really are a couple?! Since when?!” I asked excitedly.

 

They laughed. Okay…why am I the only one left out here?

 

“About a month now! They told us the last time we were all together!” Mark answered with a laugh.

 

“Really?! Why didn’t I know? Am I not listening that time? Haha!” I laughed at myself.

 

“Yeah…I don’t know to you!” Jinhee said.

 

After a while of talking and laughing, we decided to go on the dance floor and have some fun. We were all laughing and dancing when suddenly Jenna was dragged out of our circle. I looked to my side and saw Minhyuk hug her tightly. WHAT? Are these two a couple too? And what is he doing here?

 

“Hey guys! What are you doing here?!” Mark asked excitedly as he saw the BTOB boys.

 

What are they all doing here?!

 

“So is this why you asked me the name of the hotel we’re staying at?” Mark asked Peniel as he gave him a playful headlock.

 

We all greeted each other and decided to go back to our seat to talk for a while.

 

“So, where you surprised?! Haha!” Peniel asked Mark as we sat down.

 

The brothers look cute together! :) They’re so sweet! Oh, I miss my sister!

 

“What really brought you here?” Jenna asked the guys, but had her eyes on Minhyuk who’s seated at her right.

 

“Well, we’re meeting some partner agency tomorrow. We might be debuting our first Japanese album!” Eunkwang said excitedly.

 

“Wow! Congrats!” everyone said and cheered to congratulate the guys.

 

“Wait, am I missing something again here?” I asked out of nowhere. “Are you two a couple too?” I asked Jenna and Minhyuk who’s siting in front of me.

 

Everyone laughed again. So did I not pay attention too when they announced it?! O.O

 

“What’s going on with your head? Short term memory?” Mark teased as he hit my head lightly.

 

I just looked at them confusedly.

 

“Jenna told us about it on the second day we were here! Haha!” Mark said.

 

“Really?! OMG! I’m so sorry! I don’t know why I’m like this!” I said apologetically.

 

Huhu…what’s going on with me? Am I not with them mentally when I’m with them physically?

 

“Don’t worry! I don’t mind. Just remember it this time. Haha!” Jenna said sweetly.

 

“So what else do I miss? Haha! Is there another couple in this group?” I asked jokingly.

 

All of them stayed silent and just smiled.

 

“What?” I asked curiously. Then I noticed they were intensely looking at me.

 

“What~?” I asked again in a whining tone. Com’on! Tell me!

 

Their smiles grew wider, still looking at me. Suddenly I felt a push on my side and I landed on Peniel’s arms. They all cheered and laughed loudly.

 

“What is up with you guys?!” I asked in a whining tone again.

 

Then I saw them making heart with their hands and pointing it to me and Peniel. Realizing that he’s still holding me, I quickly pulled away and sat straight. I don’t know why, but I feel my cheeks burn, maybe in embarrassment. Stupid friends! >.<

 

“We’ll get some more drinks!”

 

“We’ll go to the washroom!”

 

“We’ll be on the dance floor!”

 

All of them said some excuses to leave before they quickly stood up and went to different directions.

 

I was left dumbfounded. What’s going on?

 

“wth” I softly said.

 

Peniel laughed as he drank from his cup.

 

“Sorry about that. Were you too uncomfortable?” He asked, not looking at me.

 

“Well…” I don’t know what to say.

 

I heard him chuckle. “It’s because of Mark! He always tells the guys that we look good together.” He said.

 

“Pft. I knew it.” I said with a chuckle.

 

“So…how are you?” He started the conversation awkwardly.

 

“I’m fine, just the same.” I answered. It was a bit silent for a while so I decided to say something.

 

“You know, you and Mark look so sweet together! Haha! I’ve never seen brothers that close.”

 

“Well, that’s just how we are. We were partners in crime since we were young!” He said proudly.

 

“You two remind me of my sister. We’re also partners in crime! Haha!” I said jokingly.

 

“Do you miss her?”

 

“Yeah, I do. And also everyone and everything at home. It’s so difficult to live far away from home. I thought I’ll be alright because I have lived in a dorm for 3 years before I went here. But it still feels sad and different now.” I said. Then I realized, “Sorry. That just puts the mood down. Haha”

 

“No, it’s okay. Haha!” he said. After a while of silence, “You know I feel the same. You know that I grew up in States, right? And though I’ve been living here for some years now, it still feels sad. That’s why I’m really happy when Mark told me he’ll be studying here as an exchange student!”

 

“Do you already know Korean when you went here?” I asked, just curious.

 

“Not really. That’s why it’s still hard for me to talk to people here. Haha! You’re even better than me in speaking the language!”

 

“Well, we had a course about the language before I went here. Hehe. And, I also have some Korean friends.”

 

“But, isn’t it still better to talk to someone in English? Haha! That’s why I’m happy I’ve met you! I can speak freely!” He said.

 

“Haha! Yeah, but for me it’s still different. It’s not my first language, you know.”

 

Then all of the guys suddenly went back to our table.

 

“So, is there another couple in this group?” Jinhee asked us.

 

“None.” We both answered at the same time.

 

“What?! Nooooo.” They all looked so dismayed at what we said, especially Mark. But they all look funny so we just laughed.

 

~~

 

“I’ll head down first. Sorry, I feel really tired and sleepy.” I said as I said goodbye and goodnight to the guys.

 

“Where are the brothers?” I heard someone say, but I was too tired to come back and answer them. I don’t know the answer too, so there’s no use.

 

I went down to our floor and went straight into our room. I quickly plopped into my bed and tried to sleep. I didn’t even bother washing up or changing my clothes or even removing my eyeglasses. I’m that tired.

 

Suddenly I heard footsteps enter the room. Maybe it’s just the other girls. I was too tired to open my eyes so I just pretended to be asleep and didn’t move in my position.

 

“You like her, don’t you?” I was shocked. The voice was from a familiar guy.

 

“Tss! No! I think it’s you who like her. Am I right?” Another familiar voice teased the other.

 

“Com’on Mark. Let’s not lie to each other. This scene happened a few times before.” He told Mark in a stern but sad tone.

 

“What? What are you saying?” Mark sounds shock, and he chuckled nervously.

 

I heard them sat at the couch nearby.

 

“You always do this for, I don’t know, the past 4 years? You don’t have to do this, you know. You don’t have to feel responsible for my first heartbreak.” He said with a light chuckle.

 

There was no reply from Mark. So, Peniel continued with his speech.

 

“I’ve always known. I know the reason why you always push the girls you like to me. Thought I didn’t know, right? Heh. I’m not a kid anymore, Mark. And besides, don’t feel guilty. It’s not your fault that she fell in love with you before.”

 

I heard a chuckle from Mark.

 

“I don’t push away the girls I like. They are the girls I want for you. It just happens that whenever I act as the bridge between the two of you, I end up falling.” Then he chuckled again.

 

“That’s what happened to me and the-first-girl-who-broke-your-heart.”

 

WTH? Who’s the girl? Why’s there’s no name?

 

“Remember that time you had a fight and you don’t know how to gain her back? Through the times you asked for my favour, that’s when I fell for her. Didn’t know she’ll fall for me too. It’s my fault that I didn’t back out. Since then, I promised myself that I’ll always give way for your happiness.”

 

“If you thought that you’ll be a better brother by doing that, you’re wrong. Mina is a different story, so as Anna. If you like her, stop pushing her away. Don’t do the same mistake you did when you pushed Mina away just because of me.”

 

Tension can be felt with that conversation. I don’t know the whole story, but I guess they had a serious fight before.

 

Suddenly, I felt hands take off the eyeglasses off my face and put the covers over my body. Thank you.

 

“Yes, I like her. But she already has someone in her heart. And I know they are the one who’s meant for each other. I don’t want to be the cause of another relationship to break.” Mark said. And though I had my eyes close, I can sense that he’s looking and smiling at me.

 

Peniel chuckled.

 

“That’s why you always end up being alone! You’re too kind and giving! What if you’re wrong? What if you’re really the one for her? You’ll both end up unhappy. Stop thinking about other’s happiness for a while and consider your own happiness.”

 

His voice sounds near this time. Maybe he approached Mark.

 

“Let’s go. I think you already got what you came here for.” Peniel said as I heard footsteps drift away.

 

As I heard the door closed, I slowly opened my eyes.

 

What did I just heard?

 

~~

 

We were all ready to go, waiting at the lobby together with the whole class.

 

“When will the bus arrive? Argh… I want to go back home now.” Jinhee whined.

 

We tiredly and boredly agreed to what she said.

 

I’m playing 2Fuse in my phone to distract myself. I still can’t get over the fact that I overheard what the brothers talked about last night. I feel like I’ve robbed something from them and I feel guilty about it. I can’t even look at him straight. This is weird. *Tic*Tic*Tic*Tic* I tapped the screen of my phone quickly and hardly.

 

Yessss! High score! 698,385! No boosters! Yebaaaaah! xD

 

I got tired so I rested a bit and glanced at the people around me. Just in time my eyes landed on Mark who was seated at my right, he answered a phone call.

 

“Hello? Jang Hyun-ah? Why are you calling?” He then looked at me worriedly.

 

“You didn’t even ask us if it’s fine for us?! We also need rest! … Alright, alright. Let me ask her first.”

 

He leaned closer to me and put his hand on the end of his phone.

 

“Hong wants us to stay for another 2 days here. He said he needs help with a photoshoot. Are you in?”

 

I thought for a while. Though I really want to go back to Seoul, it’s Mr. Hong and his magical photography skills! I can’t say no to that! :)

 

“Yeah, no problem!” I said with a smile. He smiled and get back to his phone.

 

“She agreed. You owe us big time, man! You should pay for our—oh you already booked us in a hotel?! That’s cool! Alright, we’ll be there right away! Bye~”

 

He excitedly turned to me and told me about what they’ve talked about.

 

“He said he has already booked our hotel rooms! Let’s go! It’s an hour drive from here!”

 

We quickly said goodbye to our friends and teachers and went out of the hotel.

 

“How are we gonna go there? Do you know the way? And we don’t have a car, are we riding bus or train?”

 

“Haha! You have too many questions!” he said as he dragged me to a nearby car rental store.

 

We rented a small car and he started to drive off to i-don’t-know-where.

 

 ~~

 

The ride was rather quiet but not that awkward. I don’t know why but this feels like it already happened before. Haha.

 

“Will you agree to be the model again if the female model didn’t show up?” He asked out of nowhere.

 

“How did you know about that? I think I never mentioned that incident to anyone.” I said in shock but I chuckled after.

 

“Of course Hong told me right at the moment he decided to dress you up! Haha! He was just so happy that day to see you dressed up and model! Too bad I wasn’t there!”

 

“Tss. That Mr. Hong! He’s so talkative, he even asked me about my relationship to SHINee! … Speaking of which, I remember him telling me that you told him about it! What did you tell him, Mark?” I said and looked at him sternly.

 

“What? Ha-ha! I didn’t.” He sounded so nervous.

 

“Really?” I asked sternly again.

 

“Well, maybe something just slipped in my tongue, but I never confirmed anything!” He defended himself.

 

“Tch. Good thing you’re a dear friend, or else…tch.” I said and let go of the topic.

 

“But really, I want the model to ditch this project. So I would see the model in you!” He said after a while.

 

We just chuckled.

 

Soon enough, we arrived at the hotel. Mr. Hong is waiting at the lobby. He welcomed us with a hug and thanked us for coming with such short notice.

 

We didn’t even have time to go to our room as he dragged us with him, leaving our baggage to the hotel staff. We went to the rooftop where the set is already prepared.

 

“You!” he said pointing at Mark, “Help me with the lights.” He said strongly, but with a hint of teasing.

 

“And you, my dear, will help me entertain the guest and also help me with editing after the shoot.” He said to me sweetly.

 

We chuckled and talked for a while before doing what he told us to do.

 

“Please call our model, he’s at that tent. We’ll start in 2 min. Thanks dear!He said to me as he points the tent and started walking to the other staff.

 

I gladly followed his order and went to the door of the tent.

 

“Excuse me, Sir? Mr. Hong said that we’ll shoot in 2 minutes. Please, come out--” I was cut off when the door of the tent suddenly opened, and a familiar guy stood in front of me.


Hello~

Thank you for reading! <3