First impressions

We will find each other.

 

It‘s so huge and beautiful. Suzy thought to herself, standing in front of the big white building. Wearing her newly bought uniform and brown ankle boots she hesitated for a moment, looking back again over her shoulder to see her parents still watching her from inside the car to make sure she would actually go there. Even though Suzy had acted very happy and excited about going here they still wanted to drive her so she wouldn’t be scared or change her mind. Even if it meant they had to drive for an extra hour before reaching their work. Suzy waved one last time to her parents and showed them a bright smile,  trying to reassure them that she’s actually going before slowly starting to walk towards the building with confident steps.  She could do this now she said to herself as if she had to convince herself more than anyone else.
 
The park outside the school was very pretty and it reminded her of her hiding place up the hill, she thought about that hill once again and remembered why she had had to be up there.  She bit her lip softly and told herself that everything has its meaning and everything happens for a reason, and if she hadn’t felt the need to hide she would never have found that beautiful place. Her thoughts were interrupted by someone bumping into her. She automatically took a step back and bowed a few times saying apologising words.  
 
“chesonhamnida, chesonghamnida” the words were coming as a pure reflex as she was used to be bumped into as a way of being bullied in her last school. They would bump into her and when she was trying to ignore it they would start a fight,  claiming that she was rude and didn’t apologise.  So she just learned to say sorry for this no matter what.  Suzy was expecting some glaring eyes staring at her when she would look up but to her surprise her eyes instead met a smiling and charming face looking at her.  Who was handsome figure, standing in front of her and why wasn’t he yelling at her? 
 
“what’s with the bowing and apologizing? “ The boy chuckled.
“Nobody died” he smiled softly and opened the door to the school building, quickly disappearing from her sight.
She finally remembered that she wasn’t at her old school,  nobody knows about her here. She shook her head trying to get a grip of things and entered the school.  
 
Come on Suzy,  you know why you’re here and you have to make things work.  Besides, the people here seem nice.. She thought to herself, walking in the hallway of her new school, picturing the smiling face she just saw. Somehow Suzy managed to find her way to her first class in this actually huge school.  It was pretty easy since it was on the first floor and she only needed to make one turn before she was outside the lecture room. The inside of the school was actually prettier than the outside which she didn’t think was possible,  the walls were painted in a perfect shade of blue and to her liking it had a very modern style.  Before entering the lecture hall she observed the people talking and laughing together inside,  for a moment she really missed those times when she could do this with her friends, she actually missed it so much. She casually entered the room and took a seat a few lines down the lecture hall,  one chair away from another girl sitting alone busy writing something on her phone to notice me. Since her first lesson wasn’t in a normal classroom but a lecture hall she felt a bit relieved, she didn’t really want to be introduced to the class as the new girl just yet and she was happy she could breathe for a few moments.  
 
She placed her bag on the small table in front of her and pulled out her notebook from it. Everyone was talking an laughing, causing the volume in the room to be very loud and noisy. Suzy guessed it was since it’d just been weekend and there must’ve been a lot to talk about. Maybe they’re all laughing about the last big party or something in those lines,  she wondered if people were spreading rumours about someone innocent like her in this moment. When that thought hit her she felt angry and made fists of her hands. She caught herself doing this unknowingly and scolded herself in thought. You’re over thinking again Suzy,  you can’t be mad at innocent people because they remind you of some others. They aren’t the same Suzy, it’s not them. She calmed herself and nodded slowly. She must’ve looked ridiculous doing these things to herself, she thought and chuckled softly.  Yes Suzy laugh at yourself,  like that will make you look more sane.  Suzy glanced at the girl beside her to she if she had noticed her weird behaviour but what she saw wasn’t at all what she expected.  She had clearly been crying. She could tell by the messy makeup around her eyes and of course the sad expression on the girls face. She didn’t know what to say or do but suddenly she heard her own voice uttering words her brain hadn’t really had time to go through before they were said.  
 
“Excuse me,  I’m new here and my name is Suzy.  Do you know when the teacher is coming?”  Suzy could feel herself smiling at the girl.  
 
“Hey Suzy,  I’m Hyuna” the girl smiled at Suzy and held out her hand.  Maybe Suzy was wrong,  maybe this girl wasn’t sad at all.  Suzy shook Hyuna’s hand and smiled widely.
 
 “Nice to meet you Suzy” the girl grinned.  “Actually I’m pretty new here myself too so I’m not sure” she gave an apologetic look. “but I think the class starts at 8:30 so she should be here in any minute I guess” Hyuna said and chuckled softly. As Hyuna was saying this the teacher did indeed come and as soon as she entered the class turned from noisy students into really quiet ones sitting in their seats and listening to the teacher. It was amazing to watch really,  she hadn’t seen a class being so interested in what the teacher was saying,  there was nobody texting or talking during the class,  everyone was taking notes and asking clever questions. It was a good feeling and Suzy really liked it. Classes are for learning and nothing else.
 
When the class was over and the teacher left they were all rushing to go out to get some air and Suzy followed the wave of people,  she looked back to see Hyuna behind her,  showing Suzy her beautiful smile once again. They didn’t say anything then,  but both felt like smiling while looking at each other for some reason. During the break the girls talked about themselves and what they thought of this school,  Suzy tried to avoid talking about why she transferred and anything about her past,  but gladly Hyuna wasn’t so curious. Even though their talking was a bit awkward it didn’t feel weird at all,  Suzy felt like she was making a fair first impression and maybe, just perhaps she has found someone who may become her first actual friend at Byeolman Hakgyo. The girls were sitting at a bench outside the school, surrounded by others enjoying their short break before the next lesson. They continued talking about their classes and schedules and to their surprise they were almost identical, they were in the same classes except for their individual choices. They were interrupted by a sound of a text message notification and hyuna quickly took her phone out to read the message. Suzy was quietly observing the girl whose expression had gone from smiling to worried. Suzy hesitated to speak but thought she should,  once again the words came out from before she could think.
 
“Is everything alright?” Suzy mumbled quietly, seeing that Hyuna’s face had gone from worried to not really reachable. The same look Suzy saw when she first laid eye on the girl was back and Hyuna’s tears started falling. 
 
The moment I saw you I knew we were the same, if you let me in, maybe I can help..