Chapter 6 – Meeting up

"Within Our Hearts"

Kim: Hello

Ge: Hi Kim

Kim: Ge?

Ge: yes it’s me

Kim: (shocked and yet relieved to say the least) how are you?

Ge: I’m okay.  I was wondering if I can meet you tomorrow for lunch or something.

Kim: well tomorrow is Friday, and I have to meet with the manager in the morning regarding my lease papers.  I really don’t know how long it will take Gerald and I don’t want to keep you waiting.

Ge: I understand

Kim: but if you don’t have anything plan tomorrow night, I am free.

Ge: darn, sorry but I can’t do tomorrow night, I’m taking Cindy to a play.

Kim: Wow, play?! Interesting!

Ge: I know, it’s not me but she’s been bugging to go see it for a month and the last show is this Friday.

Kim: its okay Ge, you don’t have to explain.  Let’s just play it by ear.

Ge: okay Kim, have a good night and sweet dreams.

Kim: Thanks Ge, you too.

Gerald hung up and felt so numbed. He wanted to at least talk to her and see her just for a bit but I know that nothing it written in stones anymore like it was before.  Everything they did was always planned and always set.  If they had to change it, they always owe it to each other to make it up.  

Kim didn’t sleep that night after hearing Gerald’s voice on the phone.  It’s been a long time since she heard his manly man voice.  Somehow, she wanted to have lunch with Gerald and just talk about the good old times, as friends.  She doesn’t mind that a bit.

Friday night came and Kim felt exhausted.  Her friends called her to meet up and have dinner but didn’t feel like going out.  She just wanted to be alone that night and do some scrapbooking.  She was in her office when the door bell rang.  She looked at the clock and it read 11:30pm.  She wondered who could it be and felt a bit frightened.  She’s all alone since she gave her all maids and driver the weekend off.  She grabbed a bat and slowly creeping in the front of the door and yelled out loud when door bell rang once more.  “Hey Kim, it’s me, Gerald”.  With a sight of relief, she opened the door panting.

Kim: You scared the hell out of me. What in the world are you doing at this hour?

Ge: Sorry, Kim but I was about to go home and just decided on a whim to stop by.  It’s okay if you don’t let me in.

Kim: No, its okay. I just thought someone was pulling a frank on me or something.  Come on in.

Ge: Are you sure, I can come some other time.

Kim: Its ok, come on in.

Ge:  Feeling a bit shy around Kim. How are you?

Kim: I’m okay, let’s go to the kitchen and have some coffee.  Would you like some coffee?

Ge: Sure

Kim: How was the play? I hope you didn’t fall asleep. (She was being facetious.)

Ge: He knew what she meant and gave a wide smile at her. It went fine and yes, I fell asleep.

They both laughed.

Ge: How was the lease, everything went ok?

Kim: Yes, things are going according to plan.  I will be buying some supplies for the restaurant and will be hiring some people to manage.  By any chance, do you know anyone that I can trust and run a restaurant?

Ge: As a matter of fact I do. 

Kim: Oh yeah, who?

Ge: Fred

Kim: Oh my, Fred. Kuya Fred. How is he?

Ge: He is doing well. He has a family with 2 kids.

Kim: Wow, no way, glad to hear that.  Sure, give me his number and I will call him up. I did remember him saying that he will have his own restaurant

Ge: He manages my restaurant and 2 more of our friends businesses.  He won’t turn you down. He is good at it.

Kim: I will definitely give him a call.

Gerald looked at Kim on her shorts and white-T.  How he missed her actions, her smile, the way she talks.  Kim turned around and saw him intently staring at her.  She felt a bit uncomfortable but gave a big smile to him.

Kim: I remembered the good old days when we used to tease Kuya Fred and how gullible he was. 

Ge: He still is…LOL!

Kim:  LOL! She was laughing so hard that she almost forgot to breathe. Gerald came over to her and gave her a glass of water.

Ge: Are you okay, almost caressing her back?

Kim: she withdrew and went around the kitchen counter.  Oh yeah, I’m fine.  I was just having fun about the good old days.

Ge: Kim, I missed you.

Kim: Kim looked at him and took a quick sip of her coffee mug. Oh man it almost burnt my tongue.  Ge, it’s getting late, I think you should go.

Ge: He hesitated but retreated.   You’re right, I better go.

Kim: Thanks for stopping by. Drive safely.

Ge:  Thanks for the coffee. Good night and sweet dreams.

Kim closed the door behind her and Gerald stood outside a bit.  Gerald was hoping they will have a talk but he didn’t want to get Kim upset.  “I will need to find the right time and right place, Gerald thought?” It will take some time but I will get there.