Chapter 5 – Lunch

"Within Our Hearts"

Vangie was steadily and busy working up the lunch for Kim.  She wanted Kim to feel right at home and not only that, reminisce the old days when they were all together.  Vangie knew every thing about them two.  Gerald told her everything what had happened and sadly enough that they had to end the way it did.  She wanted Kim to feel that love again from her and praying and hoping that Gerald her son will rekindle their love for each other once more. 

Gerald left at 10am and Vangie didn’t get to his house until 10:30 so they missed each other.  Gerald texted his mom and told her to have a fun day with Kim and wanted to say something else but didn’t so but left it as that.  Vangie texted back and told Gerald, “don’t worry, I will definitely have fun with Kim today.” Gerald took a deep breathe upon reading the text and wanted to be there but couldn’t.

Doorbell rang:

Vangie: Kim! Wow you look so beautiful as always.

Kim: Thanks Tita V., you are looking good as well.

Vangie: Please come in.  It will be just the two of us so relax.

Kim: No worries, I feel good about today.

Vangie: Good to know.

Kim: I’m famished, when are we eating?

Vangie: Me too, it is all set on the table.

Kim: This place changed since the last time I was here.

Vangie: Ge decided to remodel a bit to start anew, he said.

Kim: Looking around the house for a picture of his new girl and found nothing.  She was thinking maybe it is hidden somewhere but didn’t really care. Why look for one anyway, she thought.  Stay focus she said to herself.

Vangie: That was a big lunch and dessert isn’t served yet.

Kim: Tita, I am stuffed.  I will gain 10lbs in a just one week…hehehe

Vangie: You need it.  So tell me what happened to you in the last 4 years.

Kim:  New York was good, finished and graduated with a BA and now I’m here. Nothing major happened in the states except I worked part time and school and that was it.

Vangie: Any boyfriend happened?

Kim: Believe or not Tita, I didn’t have time for that.  I was truly focused on studying and finishing.

Vangie:  That’s good Kimmy.  I love that about you, once you set your mind to something, you are well determine and job well done. I’m proud of you.

Kim: Thanks Tita.

As soon as they were about to have dessert, surprisingly, Gerald walked in.  Kim was startled and surprised.  His mom came and hugged him and gave him a nudge to say hi to Kim.

Gerald: Hi

Kim: Hello Gerald

Vangie: We are about to have dessert, you want to join us with coffee

Gerald:  Sorry, I just came to get something I forgot to grab before leaving for work.

Vangie: Okay son. I will see you later and drive safely.

Gerald: gave a glance to Kim and smile

Kim: bye

Gerald went upstairs to his bedroom with heart throbbing like a drum beat.  He felt so weak so hopeless.  “Why do I feel this way”, Gerald said to himself.  Gerald did forget his duffle bag and grabbed it and as he was coming down the stairs, he heard the infamous laughter of Kim that he missed terribly.  She sounded so happy, carefree and so lovable at the same time that he wanted to go to her and just hug her and never let her go. 

Kim left at around 3pm and went straight to her house.  She felt so lonesome but not alone.  She likes it when her siblings come for a visit from Cebu.  Her friends do stop by often enough to keep her company especially Maja. Maja is also the person that knows the real score between Gerald and Kim.  Maja was practically there most of the time when both of them were together.  She was always there for Kim.  Kim appreciated everything what Maja did for her. As a matter of fact, Maja was the one that told Gerald to take Kim out to dinner for her birthday when they were in New York.  As Kim was getting ready for bed, her phone rang.  The number wasn’t registered on her cell phone and didn’t really want to answer it but somehow compelled to.