Chapter 14 – New York

"Within Our Hearts"

Hustling and busy as a bee, the production is under way with excitement in the air.  Derek was having a meeting with the staff when he got a phone call from Kim that her plane is delayed.  Derek wasn’t worried since they won’t be filming until tomorrow.  Derek and Gerald had a heart to heart meeting when they were left alone.



Derek J: How’s it going with you and Kim?
Gerald: Everything is good, I think.
Derek:  I know it’s none of my business but what exactly what happened when you guys were here last in New York.  I know it’s almost 4 years ago but really curious.  You don’t have to tell me Gerald, I understand completely.
Gerald: It’s okay Derek. When we went out that night for her birthday, we really had a great time.  We had dinner, shopped and walked in Grand Central Park, reminiscing the old days.  We talked about our relationship as friends.  We really did hit it off and that night, we were acting as if we were boyfriend and girlfriend.  We hugged, kissed and we were all over each other until Kim told me she wanted to give herself to me.  I was overwhelmed with that feeling that we decided we should get a room.
Derek: Ha? Wow…
Gerald:  We were both emotionally involved when we got into the room but somehow, I had this conviction that I must tell Kim before going further.
Derek: Did you tell her?
Gerald: I told her that I was in love with someone else.
Derek: What in the world. WHO? This thing with you and the other person never did come out.  You guys must be really good because I’m shocked learning this now. What did Kim say?
Gerald: Kim was incredulous.  She cried, hit me, yelled at me and couldn’t comprehend was happening.  I should have told her from the start.  I for one didn’t want to keep anything from her but the timing was difficult.  
Derek: It sounded like you wanted both of them.
Gerald: I did and I was wrong.  I felt like I wanted to go further with Sara but wanted so much more from Kim.
Derek J: I’m sorry, did you say Sara G?
Gerald: Yes
Derek: How that happened?
Gerald: Both camp were so discreet, Sara and I didn’t go out on a date.  I would visit her house and that’s where we dated most of the time.  We didn’t go public places.  
Derek J: How long and why it ended?
Gerald: Since we started the movie together, it ended when Sara couldn’t compete with Kim’s attention.  I really thought I was in love with Sara but I was being pulled back being with Kimmy.  I was confused, didn’t know what to do.
Derek:  Gerald, this is amazing.  You were totally emotionally distressed.
Gerald: Before Kim left for the state to study, we had a major fight. She told me, the reason why she didn’t want officially to be his girlfriend was she didn’t trust me. She knew deep down that I will cheat on her and all the saying how “I was going to wait for her until she said yes”, was all a lie.  Kim really knew what kind of a person I was.  She told me she wanted much of me to be her boyfriend but held back because of the trust I showed her.  I was all talk she said.  
Derek: Was she wrong?
Gerald: She was right.  We were different in front of the cameras and different behind close doors.  I did love her with all my heart but I really felt like I was led on.
Derek: Gerald, she was testing of your love for her. She wanted something solid.  She saw this from her parents and she promised herself that it wouldn’t happen to her.  Kim is a strong girl.  You broke her heart but she still kept you.  But this thing you are telling me now, I think is an ultimate breaking point of no return.