Chapter 4 – Memories

"Within Our Hearts"

“Do you know that you are my first love”, Gerald said to Kim. They gave each other a kiss. They talked all night after the premier of “Til My Heart Aches, End”. 

“You know what I feel for you, Kim.”

“I am truly sorry for hurting you”.

“I know it is mostly my fault for you not confirming what you truly feel for me because of what I have done”.

 “I just want to thank you for not giving up on me and encouraging me and taking care of.”

Gerald looking at an old picture of Kim, he felt like yelling to the world what he really feels for her.  But it’s too late, he thought.  Kim was indeed there for him.  Her words weren’t expressive enough for the world to know what she feels for Gerald. Kim’s actions towards Gerald were her words.  Gerald knows that Kim loves him by giving him much attention when they are together, way of taking care of him, texting and calling him without saying “I love you”. Nobody knew that better than each other.

 Kim would have been a good girlfriend and even a good wife to me, Gerald thought. “But everything I did for Kim wasn’t good enough, Kim wasn’t satisfied to give me a chance and to prove to her how much I loved her,” Gerald talking out loud to Kim’s picture.  As he was staring at the picture, his cell phone was ringing.  He picked it up, “Mom, why are you calling so late, everything okay?” 

 Mom: Everything okay.

Gerald: What’s going on, mom?

Mom: Why, is there any reason I wouldn’t want to call and see what my son is doing?

Gerald: Its 1:30am, mom?!

Mom: Oh, is it? I didn’t even notice the time.

Gerald: Well, spit it out mom?!

Mom: I called Kim earlier and she told me that she just finished watching a movie with her friends.

Gerald: and?

Mom: Well, I’m going to have lunch with her tomorrow since I’m going to be in Manila. I invited her to come over to your house and I told her that I will cook for her. 

Gerald: What she say?

Mom:  She hesitated at first because she didn’t want to impose but I told her you won’t be home anyway for lunch since you will be working and will be on the set.  I didn’t want her to feel awkward you being there.

Gerald: Thanks mom.

Mom: Well what will you have me do, invite you, your girlfriend for lunch and have four of us all in one roof?  Awkward, don’t you think?

Gerald: I guess you are right.  I will be out all day and night anyway so tell Kim she is safe not seeing me in the house until after midnight. (Wishing he would be there to see Kim at least and hug her once more, he misses her dearly)

Mom: Good, that is good to know, son.  You know I love you. I will leave some leftovers for you in the fridge.

Gerald: I love you too mom. Good night.

Mom: Good night, bye.

That night, Gerald didn’t sleep well. Knowing Kim will be coming over, Gerald erected from his bed and did some cleaning up in the house.  He took off a couple of pictures of him and his girlfriend in the living room and one in his bedroom.  He didn’t want Kim to feel unwelcome, then again, why am I thinking this way, Gerald thought.