Chapter 34

Next Stop, Your Heart

Taeyeon's POV

My head hurts. I shouldn't have taken the cold shower last night. I have got myself into a big flu and have to stop going to work for three days. Great. But lying in bed is not a bad choice. I haven't been able to get much rest after I came back. What's more is that, I drown myself in piles of work just to forget about her. My body is tired and heart is rather numbed. But I can't deny the fact that I look forward to her voicemail everyday.

After taking a short nap, I wake up feeling pain all over my body. A sign of fever. Even though i didn't turn on the air-con, I still feel cold. Life is miserable when you are sick and no one is around.

I close my eyes again to rest as my eyelids feel to heavy to lift. Then my phone vibrates under my pillow. I didn't open my eyes to check who is it and just answer it, thinking that it won't be Jessica since she usually calls me around her night time.

"hello?" I mutter breathlessly. It is such a chore to even speak. "Hello?" No answer. Is it a prank call or something? I pull my phone away and place it on the nightstand without ending it, because I can't figure out where's the end call icon, so I just leave it there, thinking that the caller would end it if he wants to.

"ahh..." My head suddenly throbs again and I hit it hard, hoping that it would take away the pain but it doesn't. Whatever, I shall sleep back.

 

 

A Month Later

No one's POV

"It's good to have you back here Taeyeon." Mr Jung pats Taeyeon's back and gives Taeyeon a welcome hug. Taeyeon smiles back warmly to Mr Jung, her teacher for life who teaches her how to handle business and tackle the market. He is the man behind everything, after all. "Are you fit to go to the company for awhile?" he asks as they get into the car. The chauffeur helps to put the luggage and the two wait for him.

"Sure. Why not?" Taeyeon says confidently and Mr Jung beams a huge proud smile.

"I will give you a week off to get you adjusted back to Korea. Then, you'll start working. Is that okay with you?" Mr Jung asks as the chauffeur starts driving.

"It's fine." Taeyeon smiles. Taeyeon has finally returned back to Korea after her three years in London. She looks forward to a new life in Korea even though a part of her is missing now. She is wondering why hasn't Jessica been leaving her voicemail last month. It ends so suddenly and she has no idea why. Is it because Jessica has given up already? Or is it because Jessica knows that she's coming back?

"I've assigned you a secretary." Mr Jung says after noticing Taeyeon's troubled look.

"Really? That's great." Taeyeon smiles, not really in the mood to know more.

"Well, you'll have to communicate in English with her. I am sure you can do it right?" Mr Jung jokes a little.

"Of course I can." Taeyeon replies in English and chuckles,

 

 

"Alright, I've gathered everyone of you here today because I need to introduce someone who is very important." Mr Jung claps his hands together as he announces to the key personnels in the company.  "Come in please." Mr Jung says loudly and the door swings open. There stands a confident looking girl who is dressed up casually. She bows to the people looking at her and proceeds to stand beside Mr Jung. "Introduce yourself." Mr Jung pats her back again and Taeyeon nods firmly.

"Good afternoon everyone. I am Kim Tae Yeon and I am 21 year old. I know that I am young but age is just a number. Let's work together and I hope that I can learn a lot from you." Taeyeon makes it short and simple. Mr Jung smiles at her approvingly and everyone claps for her.

"Taeyeon, let me show you your office." Mr Jung says and walks out of the conference room. The moment they leave the room, Taeyeon can hear buzzing sound from the room and she makes a mental note to herself. "Your office is on the 26th floor. Just two levels below mine." Mr Jung presses the lift button and they wait patiently. A few people who walk past them greet Mr Jung and they disregard Taeyeon. Taeyeon tightens her jaws and continues to put on her best smile even when her soon-to-be superiors show her straight face as she walks past.

Ms Kim Tae Yeon - Director

The nameplate states and Taeyeon grins as she surveys her office. It is huge. There's a television at the side of the room, a huge desk, a huge cabinet, a huge sofa and etcetera. Taeyeon's jaw almost drops onto the floor as sees her office. It is even bigger than the office she had in London. "Thank you sir."

Mr Jung chuckles and says, "You deserve it. Come to work next week. Don't be late, kid." He leaves Taeyeon in the office who continues to gape at the office in amazement, she is still a kid after all.

 

 

 

 

A week later

Jessica's POV

I hate to do this, but I have to work. Dad said that no matter what happens, life goes on. He saw me crying that day after he came back from work. That day when I called to Taeyeon and she finally picked up, but she was doing something with someone else. It hurts. But dad is right, I have to be strong if I still want her back. I don't really mind if she had done it with someone else too. But I just hope that she wasn't doing it with her new lover.

I don't know why, but I can get over the heartache pretty quickly this time. Maybe it is because I know I have hurt Taeyeon the same way when she thought I had a thing with Yoona. Maybe that gives me a kind of strength to pick up myself again as I know I have to be stronger than that if I want to have Taeyeon back. They don't know why did I cry. I didn't tell anyone.

"C'mon," dad urges me again when I have finally put on my highheels. He just asks me to be a secretary. A freaking secretary. I am his daughter and yet he asks me to work for someone even though he/ she is under him. But I remember dad said that Taeyeon would be general manager after she returns to Korea, am I working for her..?

"Dad, who am i working for?" I ask. I totally have no idea who I am working with, because dad just puts me in his work a few days before without giving me detailed information. I don't really care, because as long as I have something to do, i am fine.

"Director." Dad replies and signals the chauffeur to drive.

So... it isn't her? "D-dad?"

"Yes?"

"I-is Taeyeon back?" I ask meekly. He turns and looks at me from his phone.

"Yes." Then he looks back to his phone and my heart skips a beat when I know that I will be working in a same company as her. Maybe we'd bump into each other and maybe it'd be like those drama, my files dropped and she'd help me to pick them up and many more... but the sad thing is, I am not working as her secretary. Because a director is obviously not a general manager.

 

 

 

I knock the glass door a few times and walk into the huge office. I didn't know that dad's company is this huge. My eyes almost fall out when I even see a mini golf set beside the desk. "Uhm hello. My name is -"

"Why are you late?" A strong British accent wraps her voice and it sounds quite nasal. So my new boss is a female and she is a caucasian?

"I am sorry. I promise this won't happen again." English is not a problem for me. She is hid behind the tall swivel chair and her back is facing me. Her face remains as a mystery for me.

"Get these papers printed and send them to the sale department. Call the manager of advertising department to meet me at 1pm later. Make me a cup of coffee afterwards and get this pile of papers shredded."

What? I can't catch anything! I wasn't even prepared and she just gives me orders like a bullet train? This is unfair. "Erm... I am sorry. C-can you please repeat it?"

"Get out. You're fired since you don't show me any capability of being a good secretary." she sayssternly and points her finger straight to the door.

"Excuse me. All I did was to ask you to repeat what you've said and you want to fire me?!" I ask in a voice higher than my usual voice. Even though it doesn't really make any difference.

"Is this the way you talk to your superior? I said get out!" she shouts and it makes me a little shock, but that's all.

"I will tell dad about this!"  I say and walk towards the door, hand on the handle, ready to pull it and out I go.

"J-je.. sica?"

"First, you have no right to call me by that name because only someone who is very special to me can call me that. Second, you asked me to leave, then why are you calling me back? Third, I didn't tell you my name, so how did-"

I was blabbering on and on without turning back and when I finally couldn't take it anymore, I turned around and ready to shoot the arrogant director my icy glare. "T-taeyeon?" I cannot believe what I am seeing right now. This feels like a dream. She is standing right in front of me, dressed up in suits, her hair is blonde now and it just makes her pale skin even paler. But her lips look even more appealing.

"Y-you're my secretary?" she asks me carefully in Korean. Her face shows disbelief and she blinks a few times to make sure what she is seeing is real. I find it cute though.

I nod and stand there quietly. I don't really know what to say. Suddenly, that phone call replays in my head. Her moan. Does she have a girl or a boy now? Why is she looking at me like that? Is she thinking that she was so stupid because she doesn't know what she saw in me?

"S-sorry, I didn't know." She says softly and walks closer to me. I step back, as if it was a reflex action. "Sica.."

 

No One's POV

"sica..." Jessica hears the voice that she has been missing the most calling her out by her nickname. She misses the voice so much. Her subconscious mind takes over her body and she runs towards the girl she has been missing. She hugs Taeyeon around the neck tightly, so tight that it makes the girl can't breathe properly. "Air s-sica."

Jessica pulls away and blushes as she realises how close their bodies are. Taeyeon smiles a little to herself when she notices Jessica's red cheeks. "I... take back my words." Taeyeon says and walks back to her desk.

"What do you mean?" Jessica asks curiously and follows after Taeyeon. She just wants to be around Taeyeon now and never leave her side.

"I am not sacking you." Taeyeon states and looks through the files. She takes a piece of blank paper and jots down some words. Jessica watches Taeyeon in admiration. Her serious face when she is working makes Jessica's heart beat fast and her eyes travel around the features that she has missed the most. "These are the things that I want you to do. Get them done and... yeah it will be good." Taeyeon says and hands over the piece of paper to Jessica. She coughs when she realises Jessica is still looking at her intensely.

"Oh I am sorry. Ok, i will be right back!" Jessica says cheerfully and takes the piece of paper as she skips out of the office.

Taeyeon was about to call her back as she didn't take the file with her when Jessica suddenly appears in the room again. "I am sorry. I forgot about this." she picks up the file and smiles to Taeyeon. Taeyeon feels butterflies in her stomach and her heart stops when Jessica suddenly gives her a peck on the cheek. "And this."

Jessica hugs the file closely to her chest as she smiles so widely to herself after she turns around from Taeyeon. When she is about to leave the room, Taeyeon calls her again. She turns around immediately and Taeyeon chuckles which makes her blush again. "Lunch later?" Taeyeon suggests and looks elsewhere, she is afraid that Jessica might have asked someone else to have lunch already.

The smile on Taeyeon's face only grows wider when Jessica nods cutely and leaves the room. She can hear Jessica giggling even when the door is close. She definitely wants this girl back. She is right. They needed the time apart to sort out their feelings. After all, absence makes heart grow fonder

 

 

 

 

TBC. Last chapter next :D