Chapter 26

Next Stop, Your Heart

3 months later.

 

"again?" I ask when I see Jessica coming in with a sulky look. She sits down on my laps and leans her back against my chest. "I don't know why but they don't seem to like me." she says, disappointed. I laugh and wrap my arms around her waist to draw her closer to my body. "You're a silly girl. You know that they're not easy to get along, then why bother trying so hard?"

Jessica turns around and slaps me on my shoulder. "Yah, if i don't make an effort to get along with them, how am I supposed to work?" I pucker my lips and look away. Of course, I feel bad about making her work for us. We are out of Ottawa and have moved to Toronto because BoA unnie couldn't help us anymore. The woman seems to have track us down so quickly and we ran away again, without notifying uncle Jung. Hence, he can't transfer money to us and we have to work. But... I can't speak properly English, so Jessica has to take on the burden.

"Don't work there anymore?" I suggest and she shakes her head. "Can't. Who's going to pay the rent here and what about food? Daily expenses?" She moves away and sits beside me. "I don't mind working, really. But it is just hard that I can't interact properly with my colleagues." She takes my hand and plays with the fingers as she continues, "there are times when I wonder why am I doing this. But then I think of you, so I feel energetic to work again." She smiles and pats my cheeks.

I give her a bitter smile. "I will think of something so you don't have to work so hard anymore. Okay?" She just sighs and nods. "Dinner?" I ask her and pull her up from the couch. "The least I can do for you is to prepare a sumptuous meal for you after a long and tiring day." I grin.

"Mmmm looks good. You're the best." She giggles as I pull out the chair for her. "Enjoy~" I coo.

 

 

 

*knock knock*

Strange. It is 11pm and someone is knocking on our door. The knocking is consistent and Jessica looks at me fearfully. Could it be them? "Don't worry. I will go and check." I say and pat her head but she holds me down. "No don't. What if it's them? I don't want them to hurt you." She hugs me tightly, not letting me move an inch at all.

However, the knocking continues and I really have no other choices. "Please sica. Let me do this. We'll face them sooner or later. I will deal with them. I will be safe, I promise. Lock yourself in the room. If necessary, escape from the window, follow what I have taught you before, okay?" I say firmly and make sure my eyes are convincible. She nods reluctantly and I get up swiftly as soon as I feel her grip on me loosen. "I will be back." I say and open the room door. I make sure she locks the door first before I open the front door.

To my surprise, three figures are standing in front of me and one of them tackles me down. "Yah oppa!" Krystal hugs me tightly and jumps onto me.

"Krystal?! Uncle Jung?! and you are... you must be Sica's father right? Good evening uncle." I greet politely and make sure I bow properly. The man chuckles and pulls me into another hug too. "You're Taeyeon? Well well. I have heard a lot about you. Come on, let's go in and do some catching up on what we've missed."

I am too stunned to even respond properly and I just let them in. "Sooyeon ah!" Uncle jung shouts and I see the room door creak open slowly, revealing a scared girl who is peeking through the small gap. "Come on, we won't hurt you." Uncle Jung laughs and Jessica looks surprised to see them here. "Uncle?! Dad?! Krystal?!" Same reaction as me.

"Come and give daddy a hug, my girl." Mr Jung opens his arms and waits for Jessica to run into his embrace. I just stand there awkwardly as they reunite.

"Your girl is cute." Mr Jung teases and I am embarrassed. "Yah dad, don't . She's just a kid." Jessica whines and gives me a hug around the shoulder. "How did you find us?" She asks and I nod along.

"Easy. There's nothing that I can't do." Mr Jung chuckles manly and then sits down on the couch. "The place you are working at... I invest in it too." he says and shrugs as if it means nothing to him. "I was looking through the employee's list and see a Jessica Jung under the list. That's why I fly over, with them. With my family."

Jessica and I nod in amazement and we are still quite overwhelmed of what's happening. "w-what about her?" Jessica asks meekly. She is still scared, I think. I hug her around the waist securely, making sure that she knows she's safe in my embrace.

"We're divorced. A month ago. I can't stand her anymore. I gave her nothing. She still has another man, anyway." Mr Jung says casually and dusts off the dirt on his trouser. "Anyway, how are you?" He looks at Jessica softly

"I... I am fine? But dad, the workers are so rude. They always treat me coldly when I try to talk to them." Jessica complains and folds her arms in front of her chest.

"That's because they know that you're the boss' daughter but still works with them, it is like mocking them. Don't mind them. How are you, with Taeyeon?" He asks again.

"We're.. good? These three months are hard but... I enjoy every moment with her." she says sweetly and looks at me. I can only smile back at her rather stiffly as her father is here with us. What do you expect me to do? Give her a kiss in front of him? I don't want to be dead so young you know. Even though he seems nice, I still have to watch myself.

"How about you Taeyeon?" he asks me and looks at me. I can feel that he's eyeing me carefully, see if I am good enough for Jessica or not.

"I-I am fine. I... am sorry that I have to let Jessica to work to support us... I-"

"Very well. So are we going back to Korea soon?" he cuts off my sentence and asks. I gulp and am actually contemplating on whether to return to Korea or not. I have to face my parents. I have to explain to them about my sudden departure. I have to explain to them about my relationship with Jessica. I am stressed out.

"I... don't know." I answer. Jessica takes my hand in hers and looks at me worriedly. "Why Taengoo?"

"I don't know how to face my parents. I... I don't know." I say. My tears are gathering in my eyes and I hate to show my weak side in front of her father. What if he, too, thinks that i am not good enough for Jessica?

"You," her father points at me and says sternly. "are not good enough." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC . I am sorry. I think this chapter is rather lousy. I'm not feeling very well, because you know, Singapore is so hazy now. Take care my fellow Singaporean readers :-) Anyway, as you can see, this fic..... is coming to an end soon too. What kind of ending do you guys want?  Or maybe... some (M) chapter? HAHA! :P