Chapter 24

Next Stop, Your Heart

Jessica's POV

The pain behind my back has already lessened after quite awhile, but it still hurts a little whenever I try to move too much. The person sleeping beside me is the one who gives me the strength to carry on. Without her, I think I would have just given up on trying to recover quickly. "Taengoo," I coo and her sleeping face. Her face scrunches lightly when my finger brushes against her nose, that makes me giggle softly. She stirs and then stretches, sending her arms straight up against the bed post, "ouch!" She must have hit it too hard and it wakens her up immediately. "That hurts.." She mumbled and rubbed the red parts on her knuckles gently. "Let me see," I say and take her hands in mine. She seems to be a little surprised that I am beside her, "you slept over last night, remember?" I chuckle and caress her knuckles. She nods and rubs her sleepy eyes after she pulls back her hands. "Where's Krystal?" she asks and looks around the room. "Oh my, has she been sleeping there at the corner since last night?"

I watch as Taeyeon jump out of the bed, rushing towards my sleeping sister. She must have felt guilty for making Krystal sleeping on the floor instead of the bed. "Carry her here." I say and Taeyeon nods. She tries not to have too much movement as she scoops Krystal up gently. "Damn, she's quite heavy." She huffs when she places Krystal beside me.

"Yah, don't be so mean. She's just a baby." I say and laugh when Taeyeon gives me an unbelievable look. "Well, she is a baby but she isn't as light as a baby then." Taeyeon chuckles.

"Now, my baby." She says as she walks over to my side. "I have already planned everything nicely, all you have to do is wait for me. You can trust me." She says earnestly and my hair with her gentle hand. I can only give her a light smile as I am uncertain of what is going to happen ahead. "I gotta go home now and pack up. Uncle Jung will be helping you. Will you explain to Krystal when she wakes up?" I nod and she holds my hand in hers. "I love you." She whispers into our hands and kisses my hand a few times before she stands up to leave.

"Taengoo." I call out when she is about to shut the door.

"Yes?" she peers through the gap and asks

"Be safe." I say and smile at her genuinely

She nods and chuckles loud enough for me to hear. "I will. See you soon."

As much as I don't want her to leave, I have to bear with it for awhile before she returns to my side again. Is running away an absurd act? But what will happen if we don't run away? I can only stare at the ceiling as I have only very limited movements. My sister is still sleeping soundly beside me and I can hear someone coming up the stairs. It can't be my mother, she has been out for work very early in the morning. Yes, she is that competitive. 

"Sooyeon?" I hear uncle's voice. "Can I come in?"

"yes." I say loudly.

The door swings open slowly and I see uncle holding onto a tray of breakfast. "Ahh, soojung is still sleeping? Is she that tired? It is already 11am." He puts down the tray on the desk and walks over to the bed. "Soojung-ah." He shakes her shoulder gently, trying to wake her up. I close my eyes for a moment to get rid of the tiredness in my eyes.

"Finally," uncle chuckles when Krystal sits up. "Go and help Sooyeon to wash up and have your breakfast too." Then he sits on the edge of the bed after Krystal goes to wash up. "Sooyeon, you know what is going to happen right?" he asks me and looks at me intently.

I nod and he continues, "great. I will help you to pack up later. We must leave before 5pm. She is coming home with your dad. But they're not on a very good term right now, as you can see."

It is expected. Dad and mom are never on the good term. They always fight or have cold war, we are so used to it already and dad is seldom at home. "Is it really okay to leave Krys here? What if she does something bad to Krys? I don't want her to get hurt too."

"She won't. Trust me. If you're lost, she won't have the cheek to bring Soojung to America because people will ask her where are you. She will be too embarrassed to even do that. And, I will look after Soojung, don't worry."

"I don't want her to get hurt, uncle. Please take extra care of her, if necessary... bring her away too." I say worriedly

"I know what to do, Sooyeon. Don't get too worried about it. I've already booked two air tickets to Ottawa. There's a friend of mine living there and she will help the both of you. Keep this with you." He says and hands me a folded envelope which he takes out from his pocket. "It has her address, her name, her phone number, her photo - just in case you don't know how she looks like."

"Uncle... really thank you very much." I sigh and can feel my eyes getting wet. "I never thought that I would have to leave Korea like this one day. I... don't know what to say."

"You're leaving Korea?" Krystal is standing by the door, holding a washbowl and a towel on her arm. She walks to us, confused. "Why are you leaving? With who? Are you going to leave me alone here?"

I knew this is going to happen. Krystal will not be too happy that I am leaving her alone here. "Krys..."

"Soojung-ah. Sooyeon has to leave. She's leaving with Taeyeon to Canada. If she doesn't, your future will be ruined in your mother's hand." uncle explains slowly and rubs his face. "If she leaves, your mother won't bring you to America, because she wouldn't want people to laugh at her. You will be safe and your sister will be safe too."

Krystal's lips quiver and her eyes are b with tears. "But, I don't want unnie to leave me." The tears trickle down her cheeks and I swallow the lump in my throat. "Can't you bring me too?" she asks me.

"I... I hope I could. But, I don't want you to suffer with us, Krys." I say apologetically.

"She can't bring you with her. You have to stay. You have to look after this house. I will explain everything to you later. Please, help your sister to wash up and have breakfast first." Uncle says sternly and Krystal can only obey. My heart pains when I see her wiping away her flowing tears.

"Krys.." I call out and hug her when she sits down next to me. "I won't leave forever, I wil come back. I promise." She nods sadly and I kiss her on the cheek.

 

 

 

Taeyeon's POV

Appa, Omma,

I will have to leave Korea for I have no idea how long. Don't worry about me and don't be angry at me. I am sorry that I let you down. I have to leave because I have to save the one I love. Omma, do you remember Jessica? She's my girlfriend. I am sorry for being a disgrace to the family because I like a girl. I am sorry.. But I promise I will come back and explain everything to you thoroughly when everything is over. We're having a hard time right now. Don't bother to find us, because it will only put danger to our lives. Please. I promise to email you every week. I promise. I will miss you, appa, omma.

Taeng

 

I look at the letter that I have written just now and fold it nicely. This sudden departure will sadden my parents for sure and I am sure they will be shocked to know about the relationship between Jessica and me. Nonetheless, I place it on the dining table and look around the empty house for another time before I pull my luggage. The cab that I have called is waiting outside my house and the driver helps me to put my luggage in the compartment at the back. "Where to?"

"Incheon Airport." I say and look at my house for another time as the cab accelerates.

To be honest, I don't have much money with me. Even though I have some savings, I doubt we can survive for a week in another country. I still have no idea where are we going to but I am sure Uncle Jung will make everything the best for us.

Are you there already? -Uncle Jung

I am on the way. Why?

Nothing. Be safe. We are reaching soon. -Uncle Jung

Okay. Please be safe too.

 

I hold onto my phone securely and pray hard that nothing will happen to us. I am very nervous and scared. This is my first time leaving Korea to an unknown place and I have a huge responsibility with me. Jessica is under my care and I have to make sure that she is always safe. Can I really do it? Suddenly, I feel so dizzy as all the thoughts flood my mind. Everything happens too fast and the next thing I know, I have arrived at the place where I have to take over Jessica. I thank the driver and hand him the money.

"Kid!" Uncle Jung calls out when he sees me dragging my luggage across the huge hall. I fasten my pace and my heart beats quickly when I am nearing the three people whom I am thankful for.

"Oppa," Krystal greets me sadly and I pat her head. "Please take care of Unnie and come back soon." She says and looks down.

"I will. I hope that everything will end quickly so that we can come back soon." I say and give her a hug. She smiles when I pull away.

"Kid, your tickets. Did you bring your passport?" He asks and I nod. "Good. Your plane is going to take off soon. Now, go. Be careful though, Sooyeon is still weak." I nod again.

They help me with whatever necessary things I have to do in the airport and finally, Krystal passes Jessica to me. I wrap my arm around her waist while holding on to our documents with the other. "Thank you so much. We will... leave now." I say and bow to them.

"I will miss you unnie." Krystal says and hugs Jessica for the last time before we go into the departure hall. Jessica hugs back with all her strength and gives her sister a peck on the cheek. "I will miss you too Krys. Take care of yourself and... be good. Ok?" Krystal nods and tries to fight back the tears but it doesn't help at all when we finally enter the departure hall.

"Do you really want to do this?" I ask her as we walk with the people.

"As long as I am with you." she replies weakly. I smile and nod.

"Where are we going to by the way?" I ask after I realise I still don't know where are we flying off to.

"Canada, Ottawa." She says and looks at me. "You don't know?"

"I... don't know. I just go with the flow." I say sheepishly and she giggles. It is good to hear her giggling again after so long. "Do you think... everything happen too quickly? We just met and got together for a month, then now we have to elope." I say jokingly.

"Maybe it is our destiny. We are made to be together and run away together." She replies back, jokingly too.

 

 

The plane took off and I wanted to listen to some music, but I realise I have left everything trackable behind at home. Just in case the woman is able to track us down. "Sica," I call out. She stops looking out of the window and focuses on me. "I am scared." I confess.

She chuckles softly and touches my cheek,"don't be scared. You have me and I have you. I am contented already." Then, she plants a soft kiss on my nose. "Thank you Taengoo." she whispers when our foreheads touch.

"What for?" I ask. Our eyes are shut as we enjoy the touch from each other.

"If we didn't meet, I bet she would want me to marry off to America too. She lied when she said that she actually declined it. She just wanted to do it to save her business. I know everything. Uncle has explained to us." she says softly. I can hear her hurt tone.

"Are you sad?" I ask her.

"For? That she isn't my biological mother? Not...really. I just feel betrayed. You know the feeling when you thought that your lover loves you but actually she loves someone else?"

"Uhm... nope. I didn't have other lover before you." I joke and she chuckles. I can feel her breath on my lips.

"Well, just... the feeling isn't that nice. I am sad because I finally know why she always treats us like . I am sorry for being rude." She says and pulls her head away from mine. I look at her and she smiles at me weakly.

"It is okay. She treats you like , but I will treat you like a princess. You have me," I say and grin at her. She flashes me her huge grin when she heard my cheesy words.

"I am worried." she says after awhile.

"Of?"

"Krystal. Uncle. Dad. Almost everything."

I frown and nod. "I am worried too, for my family. And my biggest worry is I don't really know how to speak English. How am I going to survive in Canada?"

"Yah... you have me, remember? I know English." she whines a little and pushes my shoulder.

"What if... you found a handsome guy over there and left me alone? I wouldn't know how to book an airplane ticket back to Korea using English, you know?" I joke and she slaps my arm. "Ow."

"That's very funny Taeyeon. Listen, I will never leave you. I promise you. And... i hope you won't fall for other hots girls over there too.." She mumbles the last few words which I caught it.

"I won't. You're the one I set my eyes on. I don't even care about other girls." I say sincerely.

She blushes faintly and then looks out of the window again. "Our new lives, can you believe it?"

"Yeah. Just me and you. Who would have thought that I will leave Korea with the stranger I met on the bus one day?" I sigh and everything flashes through my mind again.

"And who would have thought that we will fall in love so deeply that we are willing to elope? That sounds so cheesy but... I love it." she says and intertwines her fingers with mine.

"I love you." I whisper

"I love you too." she smiles

"Aren't we getting corny here?" I tease. She ignores me and looks out of the window again.

The flight from Korea to Canada is about 14 hours 30 minutes and I have all the time to rest or look at the girl beside me. She's so mesmerizing, even when she is staring out of the window. "Do you need anything, miss?" the stewardess asks me, as I sit near the aisle. Here comes my biggest nightmare. I nudge Jessica with my elbow and she looks at me. "I don't know how to speak English." I say to her sheepishly and she only nods.

 "Yes?" Jessica asks which I totally understand ok.

"Do you need anything, miss?" The stewardess repeats and smiles at Jessica.

"Do you want anything?" Jessica looks at me and asks. I shake my head and Jessica replies politely, "It's fine, thank you."

The stewardess walks away and I can feel my cheeks burning. "I am embarrassed." I say under my breath

"You have to learn some English from me soon." Jessica teases and caresses the back of my hand with her thumb.

"Thanks." I say and close my eyes.

 

 

 

 

TBC