Chapter 30

Next Stop, Your Heart

"Happy anniversary." Taeyeon cheers when Jessica finally picks up her phone after a few rings. But all Taeyeon gets is giggling sound and random screams, she assumes that Yoona is over at Jessica's house again and that they're playing around. She waits patiently for Jessica to return to her phone as she looks through her notes for the day. It is 10pm in London and 4pm in Seoul, she knows it is a little late for her to wish but it is her only free time.

"KYA!"  Taeyeon smiles when she hears her girlfriend screaming again and then the line goes dead. She frowns and pulls the phone away from her ear, to only realise that Jessica has ended the call. The phone screen showing Jessica's smile in Taeyeon's embrace.

"Argh..." Taeyeon groans and then lies her back on the bed, her eyes staring at the ceiling, wondering why has her girlfriend forgotten about their second anniversary. They have been apart from each other for about one and a half year now. Everything has been fine, they are still on the phone like almost everyday. But sometimes Taeyeon will miss some calls from the girl and the girl will skip it. But they are still in contact.

Taeyeon has grown a lot. From a girl who always follows after what others have said to a girl who gives order to people so that they can operate efficiently. Mr Jung has especially entitled Taeyeon to take over a small business over in London, it is part of her learning. Taeyeon has a lot more work to do now, since she has to handle both her studies and the business. Even though it is small, Taeyeon can still hand in a remarkable result to Mr Jung after her first month of work. Mr Jung is impressed and he told Taeyeon that he might consider to let her come back for a small vacation, which Taeyeon has been looking forward to. So she makes sure she works extra harder so that she could impress Mr Jung even more and get her vacation as soon as possible.

The girl she knows has somehow changed. Unfortunately.

Jessica has graduated from her university but she isn't working, yet. Her father doesn't let her work for others and he insists that she should help out in his company first but the girl refuses again and again. She stays at home to relax, does manicure, does facial treatment, does body spa massage etcetera. Her life is good and she gets pampered too much. Yoona is her one and only best friend now, somehow she and Seohyun have drifted apart ever since she started dating with Kyuhyun. But Jessica doesn't mind, because they'd still talk.

Back to now. Taeyeon closes her eyes as she recalls her last videocall with Jessica, it was two months back. They haven't seen each other's face for two months! Their phone calls are short, but Taeyeon understands. She hopes that Jessica would understand too. Her eyelids get heavier and then slowly, her body relaxes and breathing gets slower as she falls into deep slumber.

 

 

 

 

Jessica and Yoona are playing around in the room, they have just gotten back home after a long day of shopping. "Yah! Don't touch my shoes!" Jessica warns and grabs her new shoes when Yoona is about to snatch them away. Yoona falls backward and claps as she laughs hysterically. "You're such a baby. Look at your face! Oh my god!" Yoona teases and continues laughing.

"Hmph." Jessica huffs and gets up to place her shoes nicely on the shoe rack. "My face is awesome. Get away from my bed idiot." She shoos away Yoona and jumps into her bed too as her body is tired. Yoona makes space in between the two and she turns to her side to face Jessica.

"Sica unnie, have you called Taeyeon to wish her happy anniversary?" Yoona asks and plays with Jessica's hair that is sprawled on the bed. Jessica suddenly bolts up and takes out her phone, ", i haven't! But it is 5pm now, she is sleeping already I guess..."

Yoona sits up too and takes Jessica's phone away from her. "Type this."

Happy Anniversary Taengoo! I love you and I miss you so much. Sorry I was busy just now :( I hope you are doing okay! Come back soon baby

"That's what you said." Jessica says and presses the send icon. She lies back again and sighs heavily. "Why didn't she call me? Does she know that it is our anniversary today? Or does she not care about us anymore?"

"Yah, she cares. I know she cares. But you know, she has to work and study, maybe it just slips off her mind..?" Yoona suggests meekly and she coughs when she sees Jessica's upset face.

"Am i having too much fun?" Jessica asks and runs her hand through her hair.

"Why?" Yoona asks and tilts her head to the side.

"Because I am laughing like almost everyday while she is working so hard. And I am spending too much time with someone else." Jessica says and feigns a disgusted tone at the last sentence.

"Yah, are you trying to say that you don't want to spend time with me?!" Yoona protests and jumps onto Jessica, ready to tickle her.

"Get off me you idiot!" Jessica hisses and pushes Yoona off but Yoona stays on top of her. They laugh when Yoona starts tickling her on the waist and Jessica is squirming under Yoona. "Y-Yoona!!!" Jessica screams and then giggles as it really tickles her. She slaps Yoona randomly and accidentally hits Yoona right in the eye.

"OW!" Yoona groans and falls to her side, cupping her aching eye. Jessica is shocked and she jerks up quickly to check Yoona. Her face hovers on top of her and tries to pull Yoona's hands away from her eye but Yoona will not budge. "Yah let me see..." Jessica whines and Yoona slowly pulls down her hands. She peeks at Jessica using her uninjured eye and chuckles when she sees how worried Jessica is.

"Still laugh... I am sorry.." Jessica says timidly and her head bows lowly.

Yoona gets up and looks at Jessica, with only one eye. It is so funny that it makes Jessica laugh out loud. Yoona pouts when she sees Jessica laugh but she doesn't care as long as the girl doesn't feel guilty anymore. "I am really okay you see?" Yoona assures and Jessica nods with her stifled smile. She is trying very hard not to laugh hysterically at Yoona's comical face.

The two fall into silence and they just keep looking at each other. Funny how it isn't funny at all. Jessica feels her heart getting heavy the longer she stares at Yoona. She doesn't know why. When was the last time she ever looked into someone's eyes and someone else looked into hers? Loneliness has got her bad.

Meanwhile, Yoona has no idea what Jessica is thinking so she thinks that Jessica is playing with her by holding a staring contest. She plays along and moves closer to stare nearer at the dazing girl. Jessica doesn't realise that she is moving forward too and before she knows, their noses brush against each other's and Yoona opens her eyes wider to stare into Jessica's eyes more intensely, it is all meant to be a joke for Yoona but not for Jessica.

Desperately, she lunges forward and her lips touches Yoona's chin. Just chin. Yoona's eyes widen in surprised and she doesn't dare to move. "I miss you taengoo.." she hears Jessica whisper after she pulls away. Jessica has both of her eyes close and Yoona just looks at the girl blankly, not knowing what to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 Months Later

"I am back!" Taeyeon cheers happily when she steps into Jessica's room. What shocks her the most is right in front of her very own eyes. Jessica and Yoona push each other away nervously and Yoona stays away from Jessica while Jessica slowly moves towards the stunned girl who is standing by the door, with her arms still in the air.

"Why were your reaction so big?" Taeyeon laughs and hugs Jessica who is feeling guilty.

"I miss you Taengoo." Jessica mumbles into Taeyeon's shirt. After 2 years of not seeing each other, they can finally touch each other without having to touch the laptop screen for some comfort. Taeyeon is finally back for a short vacation and surprisingly, she doesn't have to take 5 years to complete all the course. She just has to go back to London for another one year to complete the final course and she can then return to Korea for good.

About what she saw just now when she opened the door. She tries to put that to the back of her mind and just enjoys the warmth from the girl in her embrace. She really misses the girl.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUESS WHAT