A mini adventure

The Time Traveller

 

Friday morning is finally here. Onew has set the alarm one hour ahead so that he will have plenty of time to re-check everything. By the way, mummy’s boy has told mother that he will be heading over to Jonghyun’s for a sleepover. He guessed that it should be the same if he spend five days in alternate universe, then it should be five days in reality too.

 

Knock knock knock! Incessant banging can be heard on Jonghyun’s door as Onew arrived at his hostel. Jonghyun answered the door in only his grey pyjamas long pants, baring his top for all walking by to see what the commotion was about. He sure has a great body, like you could easily count out his abs. He obviously just woke up not long ago and was brushing his teeth. Key has stayed for the night, but was already dressed well and had prepared breakfast for the four.

 

“Aish Jonghyun! Today is such an exciting day! Why are you up only now? Go wash up quick!” and with that Onew gave a little push with his right foot kicking into Jonghyun’s toned . Yes, even his .

 

“Morning Onew hyung! You look so refreshed, hope you really did sleep well last night!” Key chirped cheerfully walking past Onew into the kitchen to grab more food out.

 

“Morning Key! Well, not really. I only slept 4 hours, but I’m just too excited today.” Onew’s eyes twinkled as he replied.

 

Before Onew fully closed the hostel door, he felt a strong force pushing it open from the outside. There was a panting Minho, hair barely combed.

 

“Hi hyungs! I’m sorry, almost late. Had a couple of talent scouts chasing after me just as I stepped out of my door.” Minho could barely explain his story, still gasping for air. He was really frustrated. He’s getting enough love in school just from being on the school’s magazine. He didn’t need the whole nation’s girls coming after him, waiting outside campus.

 

The older three just laughed. Onew welcomed him in and they sat around the dining table, the morning sun shining glaringly through the white translucent curtains, brightening up the dining room.

 

“How do you even manage it Jjong hyung?” Minho added shaking his head as Jonghyun stepped out of the bathroom and took his seat.

 

Because Jonghyun was a pretty renowned fashion model.

 

“That’s because I have Key!” Jonghyun replied cheekily.

 

“Who dares to even lay an eye on my boy, much less a finger? Hmph.” Key retorted triumphantly, pleased to know of his faithful lover.

 

They exchanged light kisses on the lips as Key sat down beside Jonghyun, handing him an extra-large glass of milk. For calcium, he says. The other two blushed and roll their eyes. Onew however, felt a tinge of envy.

 

After breakfast, Onew quickly set up a makeshift lab room out of Jonghyun’s walk-in closet and started working. The latter doesn’t really use that though, his clothes are usually left in the washing machine, picked only whenever necessary. Key always nagged, but nothing’s changed, yet. Not until Key officially moves in.

 

With the large metal plates that Jonghyun managed to lug home from the junkyard, Onew easily construct a simple machine body, as illustrated on the yellow paper. He took the toolbox that Key brought in last night and continued to plug in all the wires, red, blue, yellow. Then he fixed the buttons, and a clock to manipulate the time. Then he built a little box for the neon blue stone.

 

It will work as such: it has the same functions as his vacuum jar just that with a little opening door to slip in the stone. When the door is left open, the stone will absorb surrounding vibrations and energy will build up. When there is enough power to even start the engine, the door will be slammed shut so that the stone doesn’t absorb past its threshold. That sounds a good plan.

 

For extra protection, Onew fitted a mini alarm that will beep and glow at the same time onto the small vacuum box.  A little tip written on the yellowed document. He couldn’t argue that grandpa was a genius indeed, but not cautious enough.

 

“I’m done!” Onew heaved heavily after a morning of hard work. Though it was barely tiring for him, he enjoyed it. If he had to compare, he would rather do this for three days than clean his room out again for three hours.

 

The trio came into the closet for a peak and was amazed, jaws dropped, as if they saw something peculiar. The time machine was circular, slightly bigger than the bath stall, with a hood on top. It was modern with a sliding door instead of one that swings. Jonghyun rubbed his eyes in disbelief, the junk he brought back was rusty as hell. How did it turn out to be all silver and shiny now? Key, a little more daring, stepped into the machine. Pretty good, he thought. Though as a fashionista, the inside could’ve have been more fanciful.

 

“Jonghyun, science .” Onew said with a smirk, too proud this time.

 

The four cheered and danced around in circles, holding hands like little girlies. They are really going to start on their mini adventure. All their empty talk on Tuesday had become a reality in front of them. Frankly, all Jonghyun wanted was to comfort his dubu friend.

 

They really didn’t know what they were in for. A mini adventure? Not even once.

 

“For the last time, are you all sure you want to do this with me, for me?” Onew asked for the last time, beginning to doubt if this was really a good idea.

 

“Yes Onew hyung. We all want to do this with you, for you. Grandpa Lee has always taken care of us like his own grandchildren. You have always taken care of us like a true friend.” Minho assured Onew, pretty convinced that the other two felt the same way.

 

“Yah! Then let’s do this!” Jonghyun bravely commanded and walked into the metal hut.

 

Key followed, then Minho and finally Onew. The last slid the door shut behind him and operated the buttons in the machine.

 

“Like grandpa, for experimentation purpose, we’ll go back 5 days before alright?” Onew spoke rhetorically. Not as if they had a choice, the instructions only allowed for a 5-day back-travel and Onew didn’t know how to circumvent that.

 

The trio nodded. The four held their breaths as the machine started to come alive, working its magic. The inside of the hood started spinning and the patterns formed a kaleidoscope. It got faster, faster and faster….and it out. The four boys out. 

 

 

 

 


Heya! Still a bit dry up still now, but do go on because these form the basis for the rest of the story! Taemin will appear next! ♥ Thanks for reading!