Chapter 34

The Time Traveller

Outside, Taemin led the sea witch to sit on the sandy beach. He didn’t want to carry on walking further with her slimy tentacles in his hands. He found comfort in the cooling sea breeze, quivering a little at the cold.

 

“Taemin-ah, why don’t you stay here and let me take care of you forever? I’ll make you immortal!” The sea witch said lovingly to Taemin.

 

“I don’t want to.” Was all of Taemin’s curt reply.

 

“Why? I’ll give you anything!” The sea witch raged.

 

“You can’t give me Onew hyung!” Taemin yelled.

 

Onew. That boy with the gold. Where is he? A trap. This is a trap!

 

The sea witch realised the two boy’s intentions and turned red with anger, the sea becoming rougher with her rising fury. She quickly waddled back as fast as her eight tentacles could go, slapping sand at the chasing Taemin with each shuffle. The sea levels became higher and higher, drowning the beach.

 

Taemin ran up away from the shoreline, up to safety.

 

“Ah found it!” Onew heaved a sigh of relief.

 

“Onew! Get the out of my cavern!” The sea witch fumed.

 

“, !” Onew realised he was found out, he dashed straight to the cave door.

 

But it was too late, the witch was already in his face. Her skin was red like a cooked lobster with piercing eyes. Onew hid the bottle behind his back.

 

“You scum! You think you could trick me? Now pay the price!” The sea witch wrapped her strong tentacles around Onew’s skinny waist and threw him into the sea.

 

She let out a loud eerie crackle before heading back to her cave, satisfied at taking yet another life.

 

“Onew hyung!” Taemin saw Onew being thrown into the wide open sea, he was horrified.

 

The sea was calming down with the sea witch’s mood, the tides continued to crash but the sea levels already died down.

 

Taemin sped to the shore waddling into the sea, tears streamed down his lost face as he searched relentlessly for Onew.

 

“Onew! Where are you! Answer me!” Taemin was engulfed in fear.

 

The starless night was only supported by the beaming of the moonlight. It wasn’t very bright too, reflecting the gloomy happenings tonight. Taemin went deeper and deeper in the ocean, ignoring the rising sea levels to his waist. He dived into the dark sea without a second’s thought, hoping to save Onew with his amateur swimming.

 

Taemin not prepared for the rough seas, choked on the salty water and started to drown himself. He told himself that he wouldn’t want to live anymore if Onew was dead. The sea could easily swallow Onew hyung mercilessly.

 

“Taemin! What are you doing?” Griffin screeched as he pulled Taemin out from the waters by his strong eagle claws.

 

The beast laid Taemin on the soft sand, watching him choke and spit out the salty water.

 

“Onew! Onew is drowning!”

 

“Taemin, Onew hyung has been saved, by that mermaid there.” Griffin pointed with his claws.

 

Taemin turned to see a beautiful young mermaid tending to a shaky Onew. Her human fingers delicately caressing Onew’s face, her gaze stared adoringly at his angelic face. She was so charmed by the handsome human. The little mermaid puckered up and lowered herself to kiss Onew on his lips.

 

“Onew hyung’s mine!” Taemin pushed the mermaid away, holding Onew in his arms.

 

“I’m Onew’s benefactor. He should belong to me.” The mermaid said in disbelief of Taemin being so rude.

 

“No! He already belongs to me!” Taemin wrapped Onew closer, staring fiercely at the provocative mermaid in her shells.

 

“Go. You do not possess him.” Griffin flew down to reach the three.

 

The little mermaid, defenceless against the great lion-eagle hybrid, quickly retreated into the sea, disappearing from sight. Taemin gave Griffin a grateful nod, if not for him Taemin would not be able to fight against the mermaid for Onew.

 

Taemin shook Onew, assuring that he is safe and they are going home. Onew’s hand held so tightly to that bottle he’d managed to steal from the sea witch. That night, Griffin flew them home safe.

 

“Taemin! Where were you, we were so worried!” Eve ran out of the door as she saw Griffin touch down.

 

“Sorry Umma, we went to get Appa’s voice back.” Taemin explained meekly.

 

Adam and Eve were amazed, he went to the witch and got Appa’s voice back just like that?

 

Taemin and Onew sat down, explaining the night’s queer events to Adam and Eve. They were grateful but chided them for their hastiness. If Griffin wasn’t there tonight, both Taemin and Onew will be lost forever, emphasising the seriousness of it all.

 

Onew handed the bottle of air to Adam.

 

He took it, opened and gulped down completely.

 

He just stared blankly at his family; they were all expecting him to say something. But what?

 

“Thank you, Onew.” Adam said finally, deciding that that was the best he should say now.

 

“You are very welcome, ahjussi, it was nothing compared to what you’ve done for Taemin.” Onew replied politely.

 

The trio, quite excited at the thought of going home tomorrow, was already fast asleep all cramped in Taemin’s room with his tokki. Did I mention that the tokki was going too?.