Chapter 33

The Time Traveller

 

The two boys, with the help of the shining moonlight, found their way into the deep woods to call for Griffin. Glowing pairs of eyes could be seen as they walked in deeper, they clung onto each other tighter.

 

“Seonsaengnim Griffin!” Taemin shouted to the sky, a few crows emerged from the tall trees and flew away, crowing in annoyance.

 

Within a few minutes, Griffin found Taemin with Onew, hand in hand, waiting for him.

 

“Ssam!” Taemin was overjoyed to see his favourite teacher in the world, he ran forward to hug him on his feathery neck, “Ssam! Can you bring us to the sea witch? I need to get Appa’s voice back.”

 

“Taemin, what do you mean get your Appa’s voice back?” Griffin asked, slightly confused, Adam was well when he saw him just yesterday night.

 

Taemin explained to Griffin all that has happened this morning, how Adam lost his voice and Eve lost her hair for Onew. He told how Onew feels sorry and would like to exchange his gold for Adam's voice back.

 

"Taemin-ah, do you honestly think the sea witch would you so kind to do a swop?" Griffin warned, "The sea witch was already very generous to your father."

 

Taemin wondered what that meant. Why is Griffin so serious?

 

"We'll have to try, Ssam." Onew said with determination.

 

"As you wish, Onew-sshi. I will take you there, but I can't stay. Water is not exactly my type." Griffin complied and lowered himself to the ground for Taemin and Onew.

 

Onew climbed up clumsily, plucking a few feathers on his way. But Griffin was stronger than that. Taemin, however, was graceful in his mount, familiar with his actions.

 

As soon as Griffin lifted off, Onew tightened his grip on his flight's feathered neck. Taemin only laughed and hugged his lover closer to him, offering comfort.

 

The sea wind was strong tonight as large waves crashed the beach harder, bringing in a higher tide. It was a threatening night for sailors and ships. Griffin landed softly on the sand and lowered himself for the two boys to dismount.

 

"Thanks Ssam!" Taemin was thankful.

 

"I will come when you call for me again." Griffin took off saying.

 

"Ooh Taemin-ah! What a surprise! Have you come to take my hand in marriage?" The sea witch screeched as she waddled out of her cavern.

 

"Over my dead body!" Taemin spat.

 

"Omo, both father and son, as stubborn as ever." The sea witch crackled, the crashing tides laughing with her.

 

"We're here to exchange for my father's voice back." Taemin said bravely.

 

"What do you have to offer?" She challenged.

 

"I have a golden amulet for you." Onew took it out of his pocket and showed it to her, he had been carrying it with him.

 

"That's only a small nugget," She says, uninterested in Onew's offer, " I want Taemin too."

 

"No! Not Taemin. Never in a million years." Onew hissed at her greed.

 

"Then no deal Onew-sshi." She turned and waddled back.

 

Onew looked at Taemin apologetically. There was no way Onew was going to let Taemin go, not this way against his will.

 

"I have a plan, Taemin-ah." Onew said seriously, "But you'll have to trust me completely on this one."

 

Taemin nodded his head, of course he'll trust his Onew hyung. Onew promised to protect him.

 

"Minnie, I need you to seduce that old witch." Onew instructed in a whisper.

 

"What, wae?! I don't want to do that to her. Yucks!" Taemin didn't like this plan.

 

"Please, Tae. It's the only way. She likes you. Just bring her out of her cave." Onew pleaded with a bit of aegyo.

 

Taemin gave in. He swore no one would be able to resist that look from Onew, and he had to trust him.

 

"Thanks Minnie! But reject her advances, ara?" Onew said sternly.

 

Taemin blushed at Onew overprotectiveness. Well, the older couldn't be too sure the old hag won't touch him. Those lust in her eyes when she saw Taemin.

 

So Onew hid behind some small shrubs as Taemin went forward to knock on the witch's door timidly. The door flung open and boy was the sea witch excited to see Taemin, inviting her for a romantic stroll down the beach under the stars.

 

She slid her slimy tentacles into Taemin's small delicate hands as they waddled away, forgetting to shut her cavern door.

 

"Very well, everything is going according to plan. I'll just sneak into her lousy cave and find Adam's voice." Onew rubbed his palms together.

 

He imagined Adam's voice to be contained inside a bottle, like in The Little Mermaid.

 

As soon as he saw Taemin bringing her far enough down the shore, Onew bolted into the cavern and stopped midway.

 

The cavern looked small on the outside, but humongous on the inside! It had many shelves made of rocks, aligning nicely on the inside of the cave. On it there were many variations of bottles of different shapes and sizes, each glowing of neon colours. Onew was dazed. In the middle of the cave, he saw a large black cauldron with dragon claws as its legs. The cauldron was boiling with green liquid, glowing as well with little bubbles forming and popping. It felt like his bedtime stories were coming alive before his very eyes.

 

With no time to lose, Onew quickly darted searching high and low for Adam’s voice before the sea witch comes back. Though Onew thought that it would probably take a while, because the witch wouldn’t want to leave the beautiful Taemin who was now in her hands.