Farewell, Mr. Kim

First Love

"OH! I'm so excited!" Sulli exclaimed. She put down the crate of balloons and streamers. As she stretched, her "Man in Love" ringtone could be heard. She answered with much cuteness and got out of the room to get some privacy.

"So jealous. I want a boyfriend like that too," Jiyoung blurted suddenly. She never said such honest thoughts before.

"Is Hyunwoo really that great?" I asked. Seemed like my question was out of topic. Lee Hyunwoo is the nicest guy on earth, and no one can deny such. He gave everything to Sulli, anything she wanted, that's how big his love is.

"Why? Is Myungsoo better? Well, I guess. Since his dad is a doctor, he should be pretty rich," Jieun said sarcastically. She gave me a smirk, a meaningful one.

"I told you there is nothing going on between us,"

"Denial mode on," Suzy started to join the whole 'gang up against me' conversation.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged off the tease. I brought the frozen snacks to the fryer and began cooking. I pretended to be engrossed in the work to ignore all the unnecessary teases and sarcasm from my friends. The door banged open and our teacher entered the room, now appropriately decorated to a 'farewell party.' Yes, this is a farewell party my friends and I thought of, to celebrate Mr. Kim who is leaving soon. He looked pleased with what we had prepared so far. I guess throwing parties and events is kind of my thing after all.

Sulli entered the room again, smiling ear to ear like a little girl. She was a little shocked to see Mr. Henry in the room and she quickly put her hands behind her back, hiding the phone. I assumed Hyunwoo must have done the right thing, again.

"Where did you go Sulli? Are you really that happy I'm leaving?" Mr. Kim noticed her blushing and looking a little frightened now.

"You know that's not true, sir. We do this because we love you, right girls?' Sulli tried to hide her excitement. She was sad that our beloved Mr. Kim is moving, but he was going to further his studies, so that was a good cause. I assumed Hyunwoo is probably coming to the farewell party today. Maybe that's why she's so happy. Though, I don't know how he is going to enter this party since no one but only Class 1 students are allowed in this party.

We all prepared with thorough check-ups on every detail of the decorations, food and music. Everything was great. This party was ready to get started, and it was a matter of time that Mr. Kim would walk in and get this party started, in a cool way like he always did. He was liked because of this reason I guess, cool. He had that cool attitude, and the same brain of a high schooler. He thinks like us and was not strict like any other teacher. Well, that earned him a decent party for his farewell.

"Thank you for making my stay here a wonderful one. And lots of gratitude toward my lovely girls for throwing this party for me. Thank you," Mr. Kim ended his short but heartwarming speech. He would always have a place in our hearts. 

During the party, he gave me one of his most treasured books. "That's a keeper," he said. I examined the crumply edges and the harsh pages of the book. Although it seemed old and worn out, I knew that this book had a special meaning to him. This book would continue to be treasured by its new owner, me. A bit of memory for me to keep even when he's away.

"What are they doing here?" Jieun tilted her head to the door entrance, signalling someone crashed this refined party.

I averted my gaze toward the direction she was signalling to. I rubbed my eyes and yes, my eyes were not fooling me. There he was, barging in with a puzzled look on his face. 

"Kim Myungsoo! What the hell are you doing here? You know this is for us, Class 1 only," a girl from my class yelled.

"Soojung! Get your boyfriend out of here," another girl fussed while rolling her eyes in disgust.

I felt like fire was about to burn the inside of my body. What was he thinking? Crashing a party? Way to go, Myungsoo. Now everyone thinks I invited you. And that just confirms every rumour in the school.

"Hey relax. I'm sure Mr. Kim wouldn't mind, right sir?" Sulli tried to calm down the situation. Thank goodness, he nodded. He didn't seem to care who was there, maybe he thought, the more the merrier?

Like green light, as soon as Myungsoo's appearance was acceptable, the other Evolutions appeared behind him. As if they were only waiting for Mr. Kim's approval. Even Hyunwoo joined in. He was always a fan of Evolution, one of those Evolution wannabes. 

"Hyunwoo!!!" Sulli hugged him with a huge smile painted on her face. It was like they haven't seen each other in months.

Myungsoo made his way pass through the crowd and walked straight toward me, attracting attention from everyone at the party. I could see their hush whispers and deathly glares as if I committed a huge crime. 

"Hey, Soojung," Myungsoo greeted as if he was immuned to the gossips.

"What are you doing here, party crasher?" I retorted.

"Relax, it wasn't my idea. The guys just thought of swinging by in one of your awesome parties. Us Evolution would not wanna miss the fun"

"It's a farewell party for a teacher"

"I know. It's always fun when you are there"

"People are watching you know. Your crazy fangirls are giving me weird stares. And I hate that," I pouted. But Myungsoo just smirked.

"I know that too. But who cares? This is what you pay for getting involved with Evolution"

"I never want to get involve"

"Look, haters are gonna hate. They just hate you because they would kill to be in your spot right now. That's life, okay," he gave me a reassuring smile as if everything's going to be okay. There is something in his eyes that soothe every last fiery I had in my body just minutes ago. Something tranquil and peaceful.

"So this is your new girlfriend, Myungsoo?" I turned around and saw Mr. Kim approaching us. Great, now EVERYONE thinks we're dating.

Myungsoo just gave an awkward chuckle, worsening the situation.

"What are you talking about, sir? We're not dating," I tried to sound convincing.

"Really? That's a shame. You guys look good together. Reminds me of my first love," Mr. Kim closes his eyes as if trying to reminisce the old days.

"You think so too, right?" Myungsoo spoke up. Evolution and Mr. Kim had been like best buddies instead of teacher and students. They cliqued quite well. 

Suddenly, Jonghyun called Myungsoo over. He bowed to Mr. Kim and gave out a 'I'll call you later' signal. Real nice, Myungsoo. Well played.

"You like him don't you?" First love" Mr. Kim startled me with those words. First love?

He continued, "Don't regret like I do later. First love, the first time you fall in love you know? The sweetest moment in your life."

"What's your point?" I asked.

"My point is you kids should experience love like all of us did. First love is the best of all. But, few people made it till the end" he sighed.

"Then why bother if it's not going to last? What's so sweet?"

"The first time there are butterflies in your stomach. That moment when your heart beats so fast, as if it's going to fall off. The exact time when you experience something called love"

"That's lying. Love can kill you, you know"

"How do you know young lady? Believe me, no matter how much it hurts, it's worth the ride. You know it's not going to last but you yearn for more love"

Mr. Kim was a wise person, I knew that. But this thing called love, it seemed like he mastered every part of it, the good and the bad.

"But don't be disappointed when you don't end up with your first love," he continued his fatherly advice.

"Why? Don't you need to be with that person to be happy?" I asked, still confused.

" You don't always end up with your first love, but you'll always end up remembering them. They give you sweet memories to cherish and a lifelong experience to treasure. Isn't that lovely" he smiled in the most convincing way possible.

For the first time, he felt more like a father to me rather than a teacher. I could feel the warmth he was trying to offer. It was comfortable and felt like home.

I thought more about what he said and my eyes caught Myungsoo. If only there is a way to confirm my feelings. 

'Is this love?'

 

 

NEW CHAPTER UPDATE! KINDA LONG BCOZ MY BRAIN IS OVERFLOWING WITH IDEAS. OH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOYA! SAENGIL CHUKKAHAEYO LEE HOWON :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPsmE3R9yVBFQ0fBRzRz0

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZD6JLCfdSIp9PCN5R2_i

 

AND A BIT OF L. HEEHEHEE :p

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2PW2idz8EY6l9jt9QbLe