Winter Dance

First Love

I sauntered into my class only to find Sulli talking excitedly with Minho and Yoseob by his side. The weird thing was they stopped talking abruptly after I took my seat which was behind Sulli's. They had been doing this for the past few weeks and it was making me even more annoyed than ever. It was like they were hiding something from me. 

"So...the dance is tomorrow. Got any dates yet?" Sulli shifted her attention to me, deliberately changing the subject.

"No, I told you I don't have time for that," I retorted, not bothering to look at her reaction.

"Really? What about that hot freshman?" she kept on pestering me.

"Too young."

"The journalist guy from Class 4?"

"Too short."

"That senior with the red Ferrari?"

"Too obnoxious."

"The transferred dude from Japanese?"

"Too...out of my type."

Sulli sighed. "Soojung! How can you afford to be picky at times like this?"

"At times like what?" I blinked innocently at her.

"It's the Winter Dance!!! It's the most awaited dance for any girl that goes here. You didn't get to go last year since you were dead sick but now's your chance!"

"Don't worry. It's a once in a year kind of thing. We're sophomores, I'll get another chance."

"Then what about this? I have this friend who still doesn't have a date and if you're interested..." Yoseob chimed in. Geez, what was wrong with everyone? Me without a date was like the end of the world for them.

"And this friend is?" I asked suspiciously.

"He's great. Really. Good looks, good manners, perfect."

"Oh, just accept it Soojung! You will look absolutely pathetic Miss Planner," Sulli said hopefully.

I stared at my friends, they were so enthusiastic about this dance than I am. But what's the harm? What I meant, it was just one date. To a school dance.

"Okay."

Yoseob and Sulli high-fived each other and Minho smirked. 

"On one condition, make sure he's perfect Yoseob, or else I'll kill you myself," I warned.

He made an okay sign with a wink. This better not be one of those choices I would regret later.

The big night finally arrived and my friends said we would all go together. Jonghyun said that he rented a limo for all of us to fit in one vehicle.

I straigtened the edges of my dress. It was a one-shoulder violet chiffon dress with a sprinkling of white glitter over the bodice and along the hem. I decided to put my hair down for the event, leaving my long brown locks resting on my shoulders. I finished the whole look with simple makeup; a little bit of mascara and eyeliner, pink tints on the cheekbones and some gloss smeared over my lips.

Satisfied with the way I looked, as if on cue, my phone rang. The caller ID was Jonghyun.

"Hey, Soojung. We're down here already. Get down will ya?" 

"Okay, okay." I hang up and went downstairs. My mother who was watching her favourite actor Jang Dong Gun on his famous drama, completely diverted her attention to me. My dad did the same and they seemed awestruck. 

"Wow, my daughter looks so beautiful!" my mom stood up from the beige sofa she sat on earlier with pride.

My dad walked towards my mom and said, "She reminds me of you back in the days." My mom blushed. 

"Mom! Dad!" I cringed at them. Even at times like this they could act all lovey dovey in front of me.

Just then, the doorbell rang. As I opened the door, I could see Myungsoo standing right in front of me all dressed up in a black tuxedo with purple vest and bowtie. He looked kind of hot. Wait, what did I just said?

"What are you doing here?" I asked straight ahead. I didn't want to be having high expectations here.

"Picking up my date."

"I thought you're going with some girl who's been crushing on you since like forever?" I raised an eyebrow.

"That's right. She's standing right in front of me."

I scoffed. "You wish." In the background, I could hear whispers from my mom and dad. Something about how lucky I was to get such a handsome date. I was pretty sure Myungsoo heard it too because he immediately greeted them after that. Way to go in making the situation awkward, mom!

After that, we got into the limo which was already parked right in front of my house. All of my friends were already there alongside Evolution. Fancy dresses, fancy suits, fancy limo. Jonghyun sure did pump up the mood for the night.

"So I guess you guys should be thanking me if a new couple appears by the end of tonight!" Sulli wiggled her eyebrows towards Myungsoo and I. Everybody laughed as they all understand what Sulli meant perfectly.

"Hey, hey, I played my part too," Yoseob blurted.

"You?" I asked at first. Seconds later, everything started to come together. Myungsoo being my date was their plan all along! So this was what they were hiding from me.

"Sorry Soojung. But you do realize at school, Evolution are my only friends. Who else do you expect to show up at your front door?" Yoseob chuckled. That mischievious little brat.

We all entered the gym, the place where the Winter Dance was held. It looked perfect. I was very proud that I was the one to make this happen. A fantasy turned reality. All of us had a great time talking, dancing and just enjoying time. Some of them were still giving wary glances to us, hanging out with Evolution, but most of them didn't react because of the whole Jiyeon incident. They even stopped all the whispering and gossiping. It felt much better.

Soon, Evolution was called upon the stage to perform. Everyone cheered massively. They performed an awesome rendition of I Hope by FT Island, followed with Jaywalking, an OST for a drama.

I was sitting at a corner and unexpectedly, I saw a familiar face dancing in the crowd with a girl. Lee Hyunwoo. Even that name sounded almost strange now. It was ridiculous that him and us were practically strangers now.

"Hey, what are you staring at?" Sulli took a seat beside me and trailed my gaze to Hyunwoo. Immediately, I could see a change of expression on her face. 

"Sulli, are you okay?" I asked concernly, feeling sorry towards her.

As usual, she put on her best smile and said, "I'm okay."

"How could Hyunwoo do this to you? Aisy, I thought he is nice but he is a total jerk now."

"It's okay, Soojung. It's my fault anyways. I turned him into a jerk."

I silenced, knowing it was true. 

"But what can I do? It's too late now. It was my loss dumping him. And I could'nt even tell him how I really feel. Now serves me right. I guess karma is showing its powers to me," she let out a chuckle, restraining from crying.

"Oh well, I don't want to cry tonight! This is supposed to be the best night ever right? I'm gonna go dance, you?" Sulli got up.

"I'm fine." I smiled at her. Partly was because I felt sorry to her. Partly was I admired her strength and will to remain composed when I knew she was shattering on the inside.

She walked a few steps away and turned again towards me. "Oh, and don't make the same mistake I did. You don't even wanna know how regret feels like." And with that Sulli left me alone and walked towards the dance floor.

After Evolution finished performing, Myungsoo grabbed my hand and dragged me somewhere. I kept on asking along the way but once we arrived at the rooftop, I was instantly sent back to the time when he first brought me up here. It was almost like deja vu. Only this time, it was snowing a little. 

The two of us remained silent for a while. Strangely, it wasn't the awkward silence that we always had, but more like a peaceful one. It was comfortable, despite the coldness that seeped into my bones. Myungsoo noticed that I was feeling cold by the second and he took off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. I was stunned by his action.

"There's something I've been wanting to tell you," he finally broke the silence.

"What about?" I gulped down hard. Was he trying to...

"I'm leaving," he calmly said.