Chapter 5

Reminiscence

 

Chanhee ran and ran, never to look behind. Over again and again, he has been tricked by the people he thought he could trust. Every time a problem occurs, the blame is always on Chanhee. But he never learns his lessons, because Chanhee is just too kind. He would never turn down a reasonable request, and would help anyone who needs his, even if they are just playing a prank on him.

He could feel warm liquid slowly trailing down his cheeks, an after effect from sadness. As his stamina runs dry, his speed slowed to a stop. He desperately wants his tears to stop flowing. He never knew that a broken heart would hurt so badly, what’s more his first. He starts hitting himself, pinching himself as punishment for being so naïve. “Stupid Chanhee… Idiot Chanhee…” Chanhee scolds himself.

Although he had only met Byunghun just that day, he knows that he has a special connection between them. Although the first impression isn’t all as perfect as Chanhee had imaged it, their short two hours date was the most enjoyable outing Chanhee had ever been to. Other than Minsoo, Chanhee doesn’t really have friends, because they all took advantage of him – of his naïve personality, his intellect. And for the record, Minsoo isn’t a very bubbly person who would make all outings enjoyable.

As he continues to self-torture himself, Chanhee found his hands being grabbed hold on, denying Chanhee his punishment. It is Minsoo. “Stop doing that to yourself!” Minsoo commanded, voice filled with an authority of a senior. But Chanhee wouldn’t want to listen. He just wants that pain in his chest to go away. He wants to mask it with pain itself. Chanhee struggled within Minsoo’s grip, trying to get himself free. “L-Let go! I want to punish myself!” Chanhee voiced out.

“No! It won’t do you good! You’re already hurt! Stop hurting yourself more!”

“THEN TELL ME HOW TO STOP THIS PAIN RIGHT HERE?” Chanhee shouted, while pointing to this chest where his heart resides. “It hurts Minsoo… It… hurts so badly…” Chanhee muttered weakly, with tears that never seem to stop flowing. Minsoo envelop the younger boy in his arms, filling the younger with warmth. “Cry. Cry your heart out. I’ll be here for you. Always.” Minsoo replied. And so, Chanhee did. He cried all his agony out, the feeling of hurt from his first, and quick ended love. He cried till he could no longer produce any and till his energy ran empty.

Yet, Minsoo continues to have his arms around the now sleeping boy, unconsciously comforting the younger with a small smoothing rub on the other’s head. Seeing how the sun is setting, the elder decides to take the younger one home. As an act of safety, he would bring Chanhee to his apartment, instead of his own. He made sure that he contact Chanhee’s foster mom to ease her worry.

He lifts Chanhee over his back, piggybacking him to his apartment. Occasionally during the journey home, Minsoo could hear soft sobs from the boy. The sadness from the younger boy pierces Minsoo’s heart like a bullet. Chanhee’s joy is his joy, and similarly, Chanhee’s sadness is his own as well. He always would protect Chanhee from harm, because Minsoo loved the other. But Chanhee has never seen Minsoo that way before. Minsoo doesn’t have to ask, because he knows. He knows that he would be hurt by the answer Chanhee give. He doesn’t want to experience that.

He laid the younger on the bed, brushing aside the sleeping boy’s fringe. He hoped that a new and better day would come tomorrow – one that Chanhee can enjoy again. It would take time, but scars will eventually heal. Minsoo kissed Chanhee on his forehead, wishing him a ‘Good Night’ greeting before leaving the room.

-

But Chanhee’s life did not get any better. It got worse. Pictures of the kiss between him and Byunghun spread like wildfire. Almost everyone in the campus would have seen the picture once. What’s worse, that the pictures were tagged as: Bakery boy seduced Campus’s most popular boy with a kiss!

Chanhee had seen this coming. For someone else’s fame, he became a scrap goat of humiliation. Chanhee’s expression turned into a frown, reminiscing the painful memory once more.  But the chain reaction did not stop there. The Bakery suffered as well. Their customers circle became smaller and smaller, until there are days where there literally has no customers at all.

But this isn’t the worst from the aftermath. As false humiliation rumors spreads, haters became more aggressive. On many occasions, when Chanhee arrives early in the morning to open the story, he would be ambushed by masked people. The bakery would occasionally get vandalized. His life turned into a living hell.

But Chanhee never said a word, neither did he complain at all. He had experienced this many times before, and he knows that ignorance would bring him bliss, which is something he sought for. However, he wondered – when.

Like many other days, he comes to open the now customer-barren bakery. But before he can open, he has to remove the vandalism made by his hate fans. It used to be once in a while, but now it became an everyday thing. He takes a bucket of water, along with an old rag and started scrubbing the glass windows. Minsoo would help him when he followed in the morning, but today Chanhee is all alone.

In the middle of cleaning, he could feel another presence, assisting him with the cleaning as well. Knowing that the stranger couldn’t be Minsoo, he turns his attention the helper. Of all people he expected, he did not expect Byunghun to help him out. After all, he is the cause of his misery.

Chanhee approach the shorter boy, snatched the spare rag from the other’s hand and gently push him away. “Let me help Chanhee…” Chanhee stopped the other, with a raised palm. Chanhee had his eyes shut, indicating he wanted no more from Byunghun. “I know you’re doing this on pity. But I do not need it.”

“It’s not pity! I-I’m sincerely apologetic about this whole incident! I’ll fix it!”

“But it won’t change anything. You played with my feelings, and that’s something you cannot fix.”

“Please! Let me give me a chance and also to ease my… guilt.” Byunghun replies, with both hands on Chanhee’s shoulder. Chanhee tensed from the touch, slightly recoiling. He thought that he would have already got over the other, but apparently he did not. “I…” Chanhee stammered. As much as he wants to decline away, his kind counterpart is soon resurfacing.

Before Byunghun could get a reply, he was harshly pushed aside by Minsoo. “Yah! What are you doing here! Scram you bastard! Haven’t you hurt Chanhee enough? Have you come back for more?” Minsoo sneered, feeling all pissed just seeing the presence of Byunghun.

“I just wanted a chance to correct my mistakes. Why wouldn’t you guys just give me a chance?” Byunghun reasoned. Minsoo scoffs, laughing darkly away. “I know you have never been heartbroken before and if you want to correct yourself don’t show yourself in front of Chanhee again.”

Having lost the debate, the blonde boy trudged off dejectedly. After the younger boy is no longer in sight, Minsoo suggested to Chanhee to take a day off, to rest his stressed mind. He deserves a good rest, after today’s revelation. Chanhee nodded hesitantly, half-heartily agrees that he needs a rest.

-

“Damn that guy. I’m so close in asking for forgiveness, when that guy has to appear.” Byunghun muttered. “No, I have to try again. If not, the guilt in here-” Byunghun places his hand on his heart, “-would never be eased.” He walks back to the bakery, but finds it empty to his disappointment.

As he once again takes his leave, he stepped on to something hard. It’s a cellphone. Not knowing who this phone belongs to with just an external inspection; Byunghun decides to take a small peak at the phone’s wallpaper, in hopes that he could pinpoint the owner.

Hopes it is, as the wallpaper showed a face he forever would recognize. It belongs to Chanhee. Having a reason now to find Chanhee once more, he gathered enough information from his friends to pinpoint Chanhee’s house location.

“Wait for me Chanhee. I’ll make sure to make things right, even if I have to beg for it.” 


A/N: I did not update on Sunday, because I had a report and a test that is dued on Monday. So I was rather busy. But! Here's today's long awaited chapter!

Chapter BG Song: F.T Island - Missing You 

Note: To be honest, i would have wanted to save this song for a certain chapter in the future, but i think it suits best here. :)