Chapter 43

Reminiscence

 

The day Chanhee dreads is finally here. He gets off his bed and heads for the bathroom. He pauses and looks into the mirror, reflecting his own tired expression with black circles slowly surfacing below his eyes. He sighs as resume his washing up. He has already made his decision and should not think any more about it. After all, in any relationship, there will have no good ends in a triangle.

He showers and allows himself to savor the warm water trickling down his slim body. It’s been quite a while since he ever had such a comforting shower. Feeling satisfied, he turns the shower off and wipes himself dry and puts on clothes. He makes sure to put something presentable since the meeting place will be at a central area.

He grabs what he needs and heads to the hospital. Ricky will be discharged today and he promised the boy that he will take him out for a lovely lunch as a celebration of his release. He chuckles to himself when he recalls all those moments Ricky would whine and complain how dull and tasteless hospital foods are.

He hails for a cab and leans on the door as the vehicle departs for his destination. He watches from the window how other couples hold hand in hand enjoying their dates. He also sees couples fight in the middle of street and Chanhee will do a quick prayer for them, in hopes that they will make up and be well again. The scenes makes him thinks about the choices he has to make once again. He shuts his eyes and sighs to himself, trying to push out all those thoughts. Just for now, Chanhee just wants to have some fun time with his son, and leave that matter for later.

He pays the driver with slightly more tips, feeling generous before alighting. He walks to Ricky’s room with no possibility of getting lost as if he already knows it by the back of his hand. He smiles when he arrives at Ricky’s ward, seeing the boy eagerly packing his stuffs into his bag, almost ready to leave any time.

“I see you’re all pack up!” Chanhee says.

“Of course! I want to leave this place. There are just so many monsters moving around and Ricky doesn’t like it. They will stick pointy things into Ricky and make Ricky eat small circular and powdery things that makes Ricky want to sleep.” Ricky exclaims as he pouts.

Chanhee chuckles at the young boy’s cuteness and ruffles his hair before picking up Ricky’s bag. He grabs the little boy’s hand and both of them make their way to the main counter to check out of the hospital. Ricky hides behinds his father all the way while Chanhee completes the procedure. Once out, Ricky quickly moves away from the hospital’s entrance, clearly disliking the place.

“So where are we going daddy?” Ricky enquires.

“Somewhere fun I guess. But for now, let’s go for lunch. I bet your tummy is craving for some food that isn’t from the hospital!” Chanhee exclaims as Ricky beams at his father on the mentioning of outside food.

Having arrived in Seoul, Byunghun had given Chanhee some money for him to spent while his time here. Yet despite this is money that is willingly being given away, Chanhee just didn’t want to owe the younger male so much. He even promised the other to return and insist of doing it when Byunghun rejects the idea.

Chanhee brings Ricky to a fast food restaurant where he knows Ricky has long wanted to dine there. He orders a children’s meal for Ricky and a regular one for himself. Ricky could not restrain himself but to squeal every now and then. He tells himself that he must be dreaming to dine in such an establishment and that one of his life achievement has been completed. Chanhee will then laughs slightly before hushing the kid to lower down his squeals to prevent annoying other customers.

Their lunch is a quick one and quick expected – seeing how Ricky practically inhales his food down into his tummy. Thankfully, he did not choke on his food; otherwise it will be another trip to his most dreaded place. From there, Chanhee brings Ricky to another place where he knows the little boy will enjoy to most – an amusement park.

Chanhee didn’t have much time to bring Ricky out for fun times due to his commitment in work to support the family. He will make empty promises to Ricky that when he is free and saved up some money, he would bring the younger to one. Today is the day where those empty promises he made comes to life.

Ricky could not love his father more than he already did. He has never thought to visit an amusement park. He only hears those stories Changjo tells him when his younger friend visits and would come back and share his experience. But those are just words and now, he truly understands what Changjo meant when the other says that amusement parks are paradise. It is a place every kid would dream to visit.

Of course, he could not experience the entire park due to his age. He will love to take on those high rides such as roller coasters and the haunted house but his height and age prevents him from doing so but Ricky did not feel down at all. Instead, he puffs his chest out and proclaims to Chanhee that one day he will return to conquer all those rides he has failed to do so today.

But time is not on their side when Chanhee’s watch strikes six. He has one more hour left before the meeting time. He sighs to himself as he watches from a slight distance Ricky having fun in the kid’s area. He smiles when Ricky walks out from there, feeling all sweaty and tired from the fun games he played with the other kids.

“So did you have fun?” Chanhee asks.

“Yes I did! Thank you so much Daddy.” Ricky says as he hugs Chanhee by his legs.

Chanhee picks Ricky up into his arms and wipes sweat beads off Ricky’s face. He hails the cab again and departs straight for the central shopping area. When he arrives, tiny droplets of snow begin to fall. Chanhee looks puzzled at the sky as despite the season now being autumn, it could be a little bit early for winter to arrive. He wonders if this is a good sign.

“Daddy, where are we going now?” Ricky asks.

“We’re going to meet someone. Let’s go… this way.” Chanhee says as he points to a particular direction.

The central clock that stands in the middle of the shopping district strikes seven as loud bell sound echoes throughout the area. To some, it may be something normal but for Byunghun and Minsoo, it certainly is not. The meeting time is now and they are fidgeting on their feet, unsure if Chanhee will come.

The clock slowly ticks forward as time quickly passes and soon it reads 7.59 p.m. One more minute left before the sign telling them that Chanhee is no longer coming but it certain did not have to wait till that point when someone taps both of their shoulders, causing both Byunghun and Minsoo to turn around looking at the person who has tapped their shoulders. But for only one man, his dreams and wishes come true.

“Chanhee…”


A/N

Holy Moly Cheesecakes! It's almost a week for the update! I'm so sorry if i kept you guys waiting >_< 

I'm still not yet going to reveal (It will be in the next chapter anyways) 

Next chapter will be an epilouge (I think so) 

I'll try my best to reply to all those comments in which I'm over-dued in replying! 

Anyways, I'd like to thank you all for all the support you've given me whilst i wrote this story! It certainly is a very fun and exciting time! 

I'm already on my next story (In which i realise i can't handle 2 fictions at a time) 

If you're interested in Fantasy or Infinite or both, go to:

The Chosen Seven

[Sorry for the shamless advertising >_<] 

Until next time! :D