Chapter 30

Reminiscence

 

The walk back home is a rather quiet one, or instead Chanhee is the quiet one. Ricky is unsure what has occurred but his instincts tell him that he should keep quiet for that moment. When they got back home, Minsoo is already back from his work, captivated by the television.

The elder turn his head towards the father and son, and yelled out a ‘welcome home’. Having kept quiet for so long, Ricky instantly ran up to Minsoo and release all his inner noise that he kept in. Minsoo grinned at the little boy and ruffles the younger’s hair, before bring him in into a playful hug.

Chanhee did not pay attention to what’s around him. The only thing that is in his mind now is Byunghun – Their past, their memories and their love. It played on repeat in Chanhee’s mind. “Hey watch out!” Minsoo yelled out, before pulling Chanhee back. The sudden action brought him back into reality and realizes that he nearly walked into the wall. “Are you okay? You seemed occupied.”

Chanhee gave a small smile and shook his head. He shrugs of Minsoo’s hands and proceeded to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Minsoo watches as Chanhee retreat further into the apartment. He isn’t like that this morning, or for the benefit he looked more cheerful in every other day. Ricky came next to Minsoo, and tugged the other’s pants. He gave Minsoo a worrying pout, before turning his head to Chanhee.

Ricky has felt the differences between today’s Chanhee and the other day’s one. Minsoo gave an assuring pat on Ricky’s back before gently guiding him to the dining table. Minsoo’s expression turned to a confusion one when he only saw two bowls of rice, instead of three. He looked at Chanhee, looking for answer. “I’m not eating. I didn’t have the appetite.”

“If Daddy isn’t eating, then Ricky is not eating as well.” Ricky announces, before placing back down the utensils. “No Ricky, you have to eat. I don’t want you to whine later that you’re hungry afterwards.” Chanhee replied that came out liked a sigh. But despite his father’s intention of wanting his son to ingest, Ricky blatantly continue to refuse. “No I won’t eat.”

“Don’t be stubborn Ricky! When I tell you to do something, you do it!” Chanhee yelled out, face distorted with anger. Ricky whimpered slightly at the scolding, before looking down. He could feel his tears forming at the sides of his eyes, and Ricky tried his best not to cry by biting his lower lips. This is the first time Chanhee have every shouted at Ricky, with that much anger.

“I hate you daddy!” Ricky screamed, before dashing away, presuming into his room. Chanhee shuts his eyes and released an estranged sigh as he fell limp onto a nearby chair. “What’s wrong? You never shouted at Ricky. I know something’s on your mind. Please tell me, I want to help.” Minsoo pleaded, crouch next to Chanhee.

Chanhee let his gaze drift to Minsoo’s own pair of eyes, before lowering it back to his lap. His fist clench tightly on his pants as his vision starts to blur with tears, and them dropping and staining on his pants. “I saw him…” Chanhee muttered softly. “I saw him” He repeated, mouthing the words without any voice.

“Who did you saw?” Minsoo asked in a louder tone, desperate to find out the cause of Chanhee’s current predicament. Chanhee shook his head, not wanting to say the other’s name. Just saying his name brings only pain the Chanhee. Minsoo bit his lower lips, as he muttered his question. “Is it… him? Is it Lee Byun-“

“Don’t say his name!” Chanhee interrupted with a yell. His tears flowed more intensively, as he palms his own eyes, trying to stop all the tears from flowing out. “I-I’m sorry.” Minsoo said, before pulling the younger to a hug, lending the other his shoulder.

Chanhee immediately grab the fabric beneath him as he cries on the other’s shoulder. “Why must he come… why must he come back to my life…” Chanhee cries out, pausing slightly in between sobs. “Just when I’m trying my best to forget him… he just has to come back… why…?” Chanhee questions bitterly, as he wrap his arms around Minsoo’s neck, pulling his own face deeper into the fabric.

Minsoo listened and felt his anger rise. He is angry for many things – For stealing Chanhee’s heart, for stealing Chanhee’s love, for making Chanhee cry and for making Chanhee suffer so much. He wished so many times how Chanhee should have never met Byunghun. If they didn’t, Chanhee could still live a normal life.

He tilts his head slightly and glances at the crying individual. It hurts him so badly to see the other in pain. At that moment, Minsoo felt so helpless. He couldn’t do anything to ease the pain of Chanhee. He wraps his arms around Chanhee and rubbed and patted on Chanhee’s back, letting his small gesture calm the other. For now, this is as much Minsoo can only give.

-

Byunghun waited till Hyuna falls asleep before sneaking into the room where she kept her documents on Ricky. Having known her for years, it didn’t take Byunghun long before he found it. He scanned through the documents, in hopes to find valuable information but it doesn’t seem to be working. What’s written here is exactly the same as what Chanhee have told him – which is a lie.

“There has to be some connection…” He muttered, before placing back the documents from where he has obtained from. But as he places back, a certain comment Hyuna have written caught his eye.

Rare occurrence of DNA similarity between two individuals that is not related by blood.’

This must be referring to Chanhee and Ricky. But shouldn’t family members have such similarity?’ Byunghun questioned in his own mind. ‘Perhaps it wouldn’t do harm to do some scouring around the neighborhood, or the local hospital. The people here might know something that Hyuna and I don’t.’ He continued to piece his thoughts.

Ricky should have been born here. This town is small and isolated, and it takes too long to travel from here to another town or city. If Ricky is four years old as stated, then it must have occured four yours ago-

-When Ricky is born’ 


A/N

Kya ~ ! 30 chapters already! Longest yet, and the story is still have more to go! 

I think I'm awful with detective stories :/ I have so much trouble thinking how to end this chapter! 

This chaper however, concentrated more on Chanhee's wellbeing of course. :X 

Well, Byunghun is almost there, but finding out the truth won't be that easy >:D! 

Anyways, do drop a comment, do not be afraid - I don't bite! 

Until Tomorrow!