Chapter 41

Reminiscence

 

Chanhee gently pats on Ricky as he lull the little boy to sleep. It is a good thing that there is no much effect from the incident despite the overwhelming blood lost. The doctors praised Ricky for being so strong and held on even though he is on the verge of losing his life. Ricky simply grins widely as he rubs his nape in embarrassment. Chanhee could not be happier to see Ricky’s condition improving by the minute. Past reports states that such cases normally would cause patients to fall into coma due to insufficient blood sent to their brain. Fortunately, Ricky’s case is not classified under the ‘normal cases’.

When Chanhee finally deduced that Ricky is in deep sleep, he left the boy’s ward, to let him sleep peacefully. He won’t be leaving Ricky side that often, but even said – Chanhee is human after all and needs to take care of his own needs. He quietly closes the door as he walks out from the room. He spots Minsoo sleeping outside of the ward, with two Styrofoam boxes beside him. It seems that the older male has waited a tad too long for Chanhee to start their dinner. Despite his initial plan to let the other sleep, the muscled male needs food. He gently nudge the older awake and quickly enough, Minsoo shot straight up in his seat, with a confused look on his face. Chanhee chuckles as he ruffles the elder’s hair and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Minsoo blinks quickly a few times and is snapped back into reality when Chanhee pointed to the food Minsoo himself have bought for both of them.

As they eat, they initiated small talks in which most are related to either Ricky or how Chanhee is after all the ordeal. Minsoo did not push his luck further then asking those ‘safe’ questions as he anticipates the scolding that is to come from spilling too much of the beans to Byunghun that other day. As the silence drags on, Minsoo’s patience began to falter and soon enough – he could no longer bear with the silence.

“Why didn’t you scold me?” Minsoo blurts as he bowed his head with guilt. “What are you talking about?” Chanhee replies back in a monotone voice – a sign to Minsoo that Chanhee did not want to speak of the topic. “You know what I’ve did. I blurt it out to Byunghun about almost everything!” Minsoo exclaims as he turns his head to Chanhee, looking for answers. Chanhee sighs as he shakes his head. “What’s the use now – he has remembered everything.”

“What? His memories …. Returned?” Minsoo gasps as his eyes widens with unbelief. Of all kinds’ fear one might possess, Minsoo feared losing Chanhee the most. His mind seems to pause for a moment when Chanhee reveals to Minsoo that Byunghun has recall back those memories he lost. Now the question is to Minsoo is what will Chanhee do? Will he leave him and return to Byunghun like the old days? Or will he stay with him?

Part of him wished that it would be the later, but when Minsoo analyzes Chanhee’s expression when he mentions the recall, a soft and relief look appeared on his face, one that Minsoo has never ever been shown that side of Chanhee before. “Do you still love him?” Minsoo asks with eyes still locked on Chanhee. The younger male shook his head with force, trying his best to convince the elder that he no longer love Byunghun – but it did not work. Even a child is able to see the desperate action Chanhee put up.

“I have no more feelings for him but only for you.” Chanhee confesses as he moved closer to the elder and wraps his arms around Minsoo’s neck and shoulder, leaning forward to the embrace. Minsoo return the embrace as well and he could hear his heart throb in pain.

Those words are partially truths and lies. Chanhee still loves Byunghun but yet he also loves Minsoo as well. “Am I… holding you back?” Minsoo ask as he frowns. Many questions came across Minsoo – What if Minsoo has never confessed to Chanhee, will his feelings still all belonged to Byunghun? What if Minsoo is the one that is causing Chanhee to be with Byunghun once again?

When Chanhee returned his one-sided feelings, part of Minsoo’s mind screams out that he could be just been used by Chanhee to forget about Byunghun but Minsoo ignores those warnings. He did not mind being used by the younger male because he loved him so much to the point he is willing suffer the hurt in place of Chanhee. It will not matter to Minsoo himself as long as the one who is safe is Chanhee.

“N-no… what are you talking about? I l-love you…” Chanhee exclaims as he pulls away from the embrace to look into Minsoo’s eyes – to show the concern and sincere in his words. Minsoo chuckles painfully as he closes his eyes, letting those stray tears fall from the edge of his eyes. “I know you do, but you loved Byunghun more. Your expression shows it all, Chanhee. No matter what I do, my position in your heart will be second. I know you want to return to Byunghun’s side, to be back with him once again but the only reason you did not – is because of me.” Minsoo exclaims as more tears flow from the elder. Minsoo has never cried in front of people, let alone Chanhee before. To make the tough guy tear up, it simply shows how hurt Minsoo is and how much he cares and loves Chanhee.

“Go back to Byunghun. I’m breaking up with you, Chanhee. And… be happy.” Minsoo exclaims as he excused himself and walks away, not turning his head back. Chanhee could help but start crying as well. “I’m sorry, Minsoo. I’m sorry.” He chants as he let himself drown in his own tears. What Minsoo has said is all spot on. He is simply using the older for his own personal agenda, and has never thought of the consequences of it. He hurt Minsoo – the man who gave all his life to pull Chanhee up when he fell, supported and cheered Chanhee up when he felt depressed and sad and without him, he and Ricky would not have made it this far. He owed Minsoo way too much.

While Minsoo is still within his line of sight, he dash up to the elder and tackle Minsoo into a bear hug. “Please don’t leave… I may not love you as much yet but please don’t leave… please…” Chanhee begs as he cries through the fabrics of Minsoo’s shirt. Minsoo pulls Chanhee’s arms away and turned around to look at the younger male. “I don’t want you to regret your decision. You have a future with Byunghun, but not with me. I’m just… a poor and uneducated man. I can’t support you and Ricky but Byunghun can. He is able to give you a life which I am not able to give.” Minsoo explains as he fakes out a smile. Chanhee shakes his head as he grabs on to Minsoo’s shirt, refusing to let the elder leave. Minsoo sighs as wipes away Chanhee’s tears with his thumb. “I tell you what – I’ll give you three days to think through it. I’ll meet you at the west gate of the central shopping district. If you made up your mind to be with me by then, then come and see me. I’ll be there at seven and I’ll be waiting there for only an hour.” Minsoo exclaims as he pats Chanhee’s head with affection before walking off.

As Minsoo leaves, he saw someone dashing past him towards Chanhee. It is Byunghun. Minsoo smiles bitterly as although he gave the younger a possible chance to be with him, he knows that his chances are going to be slim and all, or possibly impossible. What happens then, he’ll let the fate decide for him.

Byunghun stops in front him and his hands hovers awkwardly all over Chanhee, not knowing what he should to calm the elder from his tears. “A-are you okay Chanhee? Why are you crying?” Byunghun asks as he tries to show his concern look at Chanhee’s bowed head. When the elder got enough waiting for the hug that never came, he pulled the younger into a hug and cried his remaining tears on Byunghun’s shoulder. Byunghun frowns a bit before embracing back and patting the elder’s back whilst drawing small circles at the same time to soothe the elder.

For a few long minutes, they stayed in that position before Chanhee pulls away, no longer crying. Although he may have some sniffs once in a while, he felt sufficiently composed to start another conversation. “Why are you here…?” Chanhee asks at the eyed the younger with his puff ones.

Byunghun averted his gaze to the floor. This is the moment in which people would say – it’s do or die. He has this one chance left to get Chanhee back. He spent days to rehearse his speech and in hopes that he would not stutter and make himself look embarrassed. But yet, he did not have the confidence that Chanhee will choose him again.

“I... uhm… have some things that I wanted tell you. I know you probably have made up your mind but I just have to tell you this otherwise I would never forgive myself for my own cowardice. I love you Chanhee. I may have once forgotten about you, but my body did not. Each time I see you, I crave for your kisses and hug that I’ve missed so much. I understand that I will be marrying Hyuna soon, but I… just want you to give me one more chance to fix this. This is an arranged married after all and Hyuna will understand. I want you to walk beside me down the aisle when we get married in the future, Chanhee. And, I’ll be a good father! Ricky is my kid isn’t he? I should have discovered it earlier but I hope it is still not too late for me to take my position as his dad. I want to be there for you and all, Chanhee. Let’s make up for the four years gap with a new start, shall we?” Byunghun confesses as he held onto Chanhee’s hand. Chanhee bit his lower lip, wondering how he should answer.

“I… uhm…I….!” Chanhee stammers not knowing what to reply the younger with. Byunghun chuckles before smiling it out. “Don’t worry. You don’t have to reply it now. Take your time to think it through okay? I can at most give you only three days. Come meet me at the east date of the central shopping district. The time will be at seven in the evening and you have till eight to give me your answer alright? Please do come, Chanhee.” Byunghun pleads as he hugs Chanhee once last time before taking his leave abruptly.

Chanhee leans on a nearby wall and slowly allowed himself to slide down, till he is sitting on the ground. He wonders if this is the crossroad in which he has to choose. Should he choose the man that is with him no matter where Chanhee is, supported him with all his might and owed so deeply with in or the other man whom he once used to love so much that he simply could not live without with and the father of the child? He has feelings for both of the male – both that have done a great deal of things that moved Chanhee’s heart. But he can only choose one.

Byunghun or Minsoo


A/N

I overtyped "accidentally" and managed to come to such a ! 

I can sense plenty of readers wanting to kill me for leaving such a suspence!

But unfortunately, that has to wait till the next update! 

I would like to see you guys comment on who Chanhee should pick! 

Until then! :D