Chapter 37

Reminiscence

 

Chanhee paces back and forth, with a quick glance at the clock, before back at the lighted up sign that said “In Operation”. He couldn’t help but worry as time continues to drag on, longer and longer. Ricky is his only son and all, and also the only one left he can truly love with no hesitation. He sighs to himself, and repeats the cycle and paces once more.

“Chanhee, please sit down. You’re going to tire yourself out from all those walking.” Minsoo requests softly as he tugs the younger by the sleeve. He gave a worried look, showing the concern he has for Chanhee. Chanhee returned with a pain expression, before leaning towards the older male for an embrace, where he started to cry silently. Minsoo frown in sadness as he watches the man he loved cry. He Chanhee’s hair gently and rubs small circles on Chanhee’s back to soothe the younger boy. “I’m sorry Chanhee. I should have been there. If only I didn’t go out to buy those necessities, Ricky would have been alright. If anything happens to Ricky… I’ll-“ Chanhee shuts the older as he palms the older’s lips. “Please… don’t say anymore…” Chanhee mutters that sounded cracked.

Minsoo nods slightly, before going back to show small and soothing gestures to Chanhee. In times like this, he has to be strong and protect Chanhee, and as well in the future. He turned to the aged lady, and saw a guilty expression on her face. Even though she has been through the most, he couldn’t help to find out why. “What happen? How did it end up like that?” Minsoo mutters softly, though it sounded more like a spat.

“I… I though he is just a delivery man. I didn’t know… I’m sorry but… It’s all my fault. My fault…” Michelle cries as she buries her face into her hands. Byunghun embraces his mother to a hug and gave the muscled man a glare. “Can’t you see that she has already enough of it? It happened in front of her eyes!” He barked fiercely, as if challenging the older, and Minsoo did.

Minsoo releases Chanhee and grabbed Byunghun’s collar and pulls him up to eye level. “This wouldn’t have happen if we didn’t come here. It would not happen if you did not enter our lives. So what if you lose your memories, what you’ve done or rather - your mother have done is unforgivable.” Minsoo replies harshly as he glared at the younger male. “Then tell me what I did. Tell me what I’ve forgotten so that I can correct it!” Byunghun argued.

Minsoo release the younger and scoffs. “You think that you can easily correct it just because I tell you? No. I’ll let you suffer with amnesia. You’ll never remember and live in regret for how you destroyed our lives.” Minsoo seethes with malice. Byunghun’s patience and mood is not getting any better as well. He’s flaring up with anger too. “You’re just afraid that if I know, you’ll lose. Am I right?” He challenges.

“Stop it!” Chanhee yelled out loud, unable to take the fight anymore. “Please… stop it…” He cries as he falls on the ground, sobbing uncontrollably away. Minsoo gave the younger male one last glare before he return to attend to Chanhee. He pick up Chanhee and loan his shoulder to the younger.

Just when the tension between them begins to thicken, the sign’s light switches off, and the door swiftly open. Instead of a white robed individual, an operation nurse exited instead. Based on the worried expression she wore, Chanhee knows this would not do well. “Nurse, what happened? Is Ricky fine?” Chanhee quickly asks. The nurse shakes her head. “The operation is not finished.”

“Then…?” Minsoo asks in curiousity – why would a nurse exit from this door, if the operation isn’t completed. If she would have wanted things for the operation, there should exist another door for it. “Ricky’s blood is a rare type of blood, and we’re running low on it. It will take a long time for the blood bank to transport that specific blood here as well. Ricky’s blood type is AB-, thus is there another with bloody type of AB-, A-, B- or AB-?” She asks.

“I’m his father; I should be able to donate. I’m A-!” Chanhee quickly answers. “I’m sorry, but parents cannot donate to their kid. A third party is the only way.” The nurse replies, as she gave an apologetic look to Chanhee. “Is there anyone else? The patient is not faring well with the blood lost.”

“I’m AB-!” Byunghun calls out, but he is not the only one. “I’m a B-.” Minsoo calls along. They both look at each other as they try to compete who to donate their blood. “I’m AB-, I would be more compatible with the kid since we have similar blood types. Take mine.” Byunghun replies.

“No, Byunghun cannot donate.” Chanhee blurts out all of the sudden. Byunghun turns his attention to Chanhee, as he watches the younger with wide eyes. He did not understand why he did not allow him to donate – they both have the same blood type. “Take mine Nurse.” Minsoo exclaims and follows hurriedly with the nurse into another room.

“What do you mean I can’t donate? I am a better chance in saving Ricky! Tell me why?” Byunghun yells out as he shakes Chanhee with both his hands. Chanhee refuses to look into Byunghun’s eye as he let his gaze fall to the ground. “I… I do not want to owe you anything. We have troubled you enough already.” Chanhee mutters his reply.

“I don’t believe you. We’re talking about a life at stake here! You’re lying.” Byunghun scoffs as he retreats backwards. His face bore a pissed off expression as he punches on the walls. Somehow, unable to donate his blood fueled his anger. He felt so useless. He couldn’t understand why. If it is somebody else, he probably wouldn’t feel this way

But when his offer is rejected, by Chanhee above all – his heart aches a little. When he couldn’t save Ricky – his heart aches a little more. He tries his best to rack his brain of the connection between him and Chanhee but his lack of memories prevented so. He’s missing a very vital link that links everything together.

He turns his head towards his mother. She knows his past, and Byunghun is no longer willing to wait any further to find out. 


A/N

Some readers have already guessed what might come out in this chapter but here it is nonetheless

I find it a little bit awful :( However. Did not proof read this one. 

But much more has been revealed and he will discover soon. 

Anyways, Enjoy!