hello and goodbye

As He Sleeps

 

If there is anything in this world that Sungmin is most curious about right now, it will be KRY. Who they are and how good they are made him think that Hyukjae has kept a lot of things during the three years they are together. He wanted to ask him about the new group and how high is the expectation. Sungmin has been away for three years and these years have taught him a lot of things. He stood up on his own without relying to anyone. How Kyuhyun is and what is he doing right now, has been the last thing in his mind. He hasn't forgotten the younger one but being away has taught him a lot of things. Many things.

Kyuhyun is not his oxygen and he can live without the other. Kyuhyun is not his life because he is still alive without the other beside him. He might have suffered the first 2 months of not being with him. He must have suffered some sleepless nights, he might have spent tears until he fell asleep, he must have dreamt of him for a number of times, he must have called Kyuhyun's name while he was asleep but he has gotten a grip of it. He hasn't thought that much of Kyuhyun for the past 3 years. He busied himself with his work. He didn't pay much attention to the need to be in Kyuhyun's arms, he endured cold nights without him and now everything needs to be paid off. He needs to know how much this group can offer because all the sleepless nights and his effort to create this kind of show matters to him. He didn't leave Korea and Kyuhyun to fail.

A VCR was set to play before KRY performs. Damn Hyukjae was clever enough not to let Sungmin go to their dressing room. What is so special about this group that even he can't meet them beforehand?

"I know you too well, Min. If you see them, you'll definitely make them like you and hate me. I have my own ways of training our talents."

He remembered Hyukjae say. Hyukjae is very strict with the talents' diet and practice and lessons. He wants everything polished. Yes, Hyukjae is this cool guy who seemed too loose when it comes to his personal life but everything is different when it comes to work. He doesn't accept excuses; he doesn't enjoy artists having bad popularity. He wants everything straight and polished.

But well that's not the point. The point is that those shadows on stage are KRY and he can't believe that after all this time he's the only one who hasn't seen their faces.

The crowd applauded, but who wouldn't the only face familiar to them is the recently very popular solo balladeer of the company.

"Kim Jongwoon..." Sungmin whispered. He closed his eyes and looked at Hyukjae. "Are you crazy? He is already a solo artist, why the hell did you put Yeusng in a group?" Hyukjae smirked and didn't pay attention to Sungmin.

The lights on the stage are low but are bright enough to see the silhouettes of everyone on stage. There are three guys including Yesung; one tall guy and another short guy in the middle. "Yah, Lee Hyukjae you-“

Sungmin heard that voice. That voice that he thought he would never hear again.

Nan hangsang ganghan chukman hajiman [I always act strong, but]
Pyungseng nuh hana jikil jashin oebso ddoehnan [I didn’t have the confidence to protect you forever and left]
Bigeobhan namjaya [I’m a cowardly man]

“Kim Ryeowook.” He whispered. For the second time, he looked at Hyukjae who looks so serious while watching Ryeowook on stage. Sungmin’s mouth hung for a moment. What on earth does Hyukjae have in mind? How could he manage to do such thing? He looked at the man on stage for the second time. Ryeowook is standing on his own again. He didn't realised that his heart would skip a bit upon seeing his former bandmate on his own feet and is crooning at the audience with his heartfelt voice.

“Yesung, Ryeowook…” he looked down. The last person in the dim light, he’s already assuming who that person is. That silhouette is the most familiar to him ut he wouldn't want to assume anything because of the past...

Nuhman barabogo nuh anim an dwesuh [One who looks at only you and needs only you]
Harudo mot buttil mankeum [Can’t go a day without you]
Saranghae jooneun saram manna jebal [Please meet someone who loves you so much]

“C-cho Kyuhyun.” He said. He looked down and then up to the performers yet again. KRY. Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Yesung. Why and how is this possible? How is it possible to see Ryeowook and Kyuhyun standing on one stage and singing the same song again and under Hyukjae's care? Hyukjae hates Kyuhyun and Ryeowook hates Hyukjae. How did this happen that everything is in one big event and is working as a team?

But that's not the issue anymore. His heart beats so fast as he looked at his favourite singer. Kyuhyun is standing on the stage and singing just like before. Kyuhyun is singing on stage again. Sungmin freed a deep and quick sigh. He has never expected to see this again and for the record in front of a big crowd. His tears crawled up and his breathing heavily. His feet unintentionally made a step and yet another one. 3 years has gone and he has missed the younger one. He has waited for a long time to see his beloved once again. Kyuhyun is singing on stage again. It has always been a dream, an almost impossible prayer. He stepped yet again until he felt a hand in his arm… and then around his body. He tried to turn to Hyukjae but the other one is holding him from behind. His head rested on Sungmin’s shoulder.

“Don’t go to him just yet.” He whispered.  Hyukjae’s eyes are closed and his lips folded together.  His grip is tight around Sungmin’s body.  “The show is not over yet.”

Sungmin looked at the stage as the song ended. Can he come to Kyuhyun now?

Doobun dashineun majoochiji malja [Let’s never meet again]

There is yet another song and Hyukjae hasn’t let go of him yet. What is wrong with him? “Hyukjae ah…”

“Shh…” Hyukjae said. “If I don’t hold you back, you’ll run to him.”

Sungmin crossed his eyebrows for a while and then just looked at the stage and let Hyukjae hold on to him. Hyukjae is not breathing anymore, trying so hard to control something inside him that is bursting pretty soon. 

Eonjebuteo yeohneunji ijeosseoyo [How it had all started, I’m not sure]
Naega wae ireoneunji nan moreujyo [Why am I like this? I don’t know]

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun through the big screen. His confidence in singing has never changed and his voice has never lost its charms. How happy is he now that he is fulfilling his dreams once again? He wants to know everything. He wants to see Kyuhyun looking at him and smiling at him and singing for him. Yes, he has learned that Kyuhyun is not his oxygen, he can breathe without Kyuhyun. He is not the world, he can live without Kyuhyun. But he has also learned that Kyuhyun will always own his heart; no matter how far Sungmin may be, his heart will always stay with this person. He can breathe, he can live but he cannot love without Kyuhyun.

Hansun hando jiulsu eobneun geumoseubeul [I can’t erase the memory of you even for a second]
Nan geujeo geudaemaneul saenghakhajyo [I can only think of you]
Eojjeol suga eobseoyo Amugeotdo mothago[I can’t do anything, nothing is being done]
Ideodin shiganeul shikyeobojyo [I can only watch the time slowly passing by]
Eodie ihtdeunji [Where are you?]
Mueoseul hadeunji [What are you doing?]
Ojikhan saram maneul saranghago ihtgie [All because I only think of one person]
 

Hyukjae watched them quietly, proud of himself. He knew Sungmin will love his creation. The song that he wished never to end has come to an end. Time has come to stop holding on to Sungmin and to let him go. A tear crawl up his eyes. “Before you ran to him…­ smile at me.” Sungmin crossed his eyebrows and turned to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae looked down and tears just came out of his eyes. Sungmin wondered what is going on. Hyukjae is never the type who sheds tears. So this man in front of him is indeed a human, so he can shed tears. Hyukkjae chuckled and wiped his eyes with his thumb and pointer. Sungmin just watched him. His friend breathed in deeply before meeting his confused eyes.

“I wanted to give you more than this.” Hyukjae started. He chuckled and looked down as he shook his head. “But this is all of me.”

“Hyukjae ah…”

Hyukjae blinked his eyes more trying to stop more tears from coming out. “I’ve always wanted to win your heart but I always seemed to lose to him.”  A bitter chuckle. “I’ve imagined you coming to me and embracing me when you see them again on stage. Hyukjae ah, how can I ever thank you for this? But you almost stepped out to the stage just come to him.” He nodded; his face slightly bitter even with a smile. Hyukjae looked down and gave a straight smile. “I can’t do this anymore, Lee Sungmin. I can’t keep myself from being like this anymore. I need to stop loving you.” His eyes are red as he looked at Sungmin.

Sungmin was confused with what Hyukjae is saying. Hyukjae breathed in deeply and looked at him. “I knew I made the right decision to bring this along.” He took out a white envelope and handed it to Sungmin. A resignation letter.

“Give it to our boss, he knows what this is.”

“Hyukjae ah, what are you talking about? Me wanting to go for Kyuhyun shouldn’t be a reason for you to leave the company… You know that we need you here. Y-you can’t just leave the company like that.” Sungmin was so confused and in panic, in need to reason out for Hyukjae to stay. “W-What about our dream to conquer the world? To make more songs? Are you just going to leave those dreams?” Sungmin asked.

Hyukjae chuckled. “Our dream?” he shook his head. “The only dream I have is to make you happy. And to fulfil my dream I have to keep hurting myself to see you happy.” Sungmin looked down and then to Hyukjae. “We never shared the same dream, Sungmin. I was never part of your dream. And that I have to live with.”

Sungmin looked down and realised all the things that Hyukjae has done to him from the very first time they met. That foolish reaction Hyukjae had. The silly songs they’ve made together, the kick- songs, the confession. He remembered the time when he accompanied Sungmin in Jung Yunho’s fan signing. He remembered how Hyukjae took care of him after the accident that happened to Ryeowook, how he covered the other’s eyes so as not to see Kyuhyun and Ryeowook rekindling when the other woke up. He remembered the world tour, how Hyukjae would cook him some home food when he’s feeling home sick. What has he done for Hyukjae? What has he done for his best friend in return to all this kindness?

Sungmin was so selfish not to even realise all of this until now. No, he has realised all of this from the very start, he has just never value them. Now that Hyukjae is leaving, what is he going to do?

Another set of tears fell on Hyukjae’s eyes but he just let them fall. “This is the last thing I can do for you, Min. I think I’ve done enough.” Sungmin just looked at him as his own tears fell down. He walked towards Hyukjae and hugged him tightly.

“I’ve been so selfish, Hyukjae ah… but believe me, I’ve always been thankful for your existence. You’ve always been a good friend to me and I’ve always been so selfish not to return back your affections. I’m so sorry for always hurting you. But just so you know I’ve always been thankful that you are always by my side… so thankful that I selfishly neglected your own feelings. I’m sorry that I can’t return you any of these. But… I am sincerely thankful for this friendship. You will always be a part of me. You will always be my best friend.”

He breathed out heavily and held Sungmin’s arms. He smiled and wiped the tears on the other’s eyes. “You already know what my dream is, now fulfil it.” He looked at Sungmin as if it will be the last time. “Be happy. Please be happy.”

Sungmin crossed his eyebrows and looked down. Guilty as he is, he wouldn’t stop Hyukjae in finding his own happiness this time. Hyukjae doesn’t deserve this. He doesn’t deserve to be unloved. But he knows very well he can’t push himself to the other… because a certain Cho Kyuhyun holds his heart dearly.

Hyukjae straightened up and looked in front. Sungmin looked at him and followed his sight. There Kyuhyun, Yesung and Ryeowook standing. Yesung busied himself in removing his microphone while Ryeowook went to stay beside him and Kyuhyun just stood there looking at Sungmin and Hyukjae standing together.

“I’m done here.” Hyukjae said. Kyuhyun saw the white envelope in Sungmin’s hand. Hyukjae turned his back but before he made a step.

“Do you really have to leave?” Kyuhyun asked. “I thought you said you want your best friend back?” Sungmin looked at his side, to Hyukjae. “How can I repay my best friend for doing all these?”

Hyukjae’s tears fell yet again. A friendship that has been destroyed all because everyone wants to seek happiness has gone through a long journey and what else can he ask for but to preserve it and be one of their source of happiness? He smiled widely and turned. “I won’t be away for long. I’ll come back more handsomely and make sure to steal this guy away for you for real.”

Kyuhyun chuckled and smiled. He stepped forward and reached for Hyukjae and hugged him. “I’ll never forget this, Hyukjae. I’ll wait for you to come back. Not to take Sungmin away, but with someone who can make you happier than you’ve ever been.”

Hyukjae smirked at him. “We’ll see about that.”

Kyuhyun tapped him on his shoulder and smiled at him. All this time, Sungmin was in the middle while Ryeowook quietly walked behind them.

Hyukjae was about to turned his back when… “Hyukjae ah…” Ryeowook called. The shorter man ran shortly towards him and smiled at him. “Thank you for this.” Hyukjae smiled at him and nodded.

“Take care of yourself, Ryeong.” Ryeowook nodded and smiled at him as he turned his back.

Sungmin stood beside Kyuhyun as he and Ryeowook watched Hyukjae walked his way out of the backstage. Sungmin looked down when a hand reached for his hand; that calloused hand that always warm him, that perfect hand that always fit his own hand, Kyuhyun’s hand is finally one with him… the long wait to be together is over.

Ryeowook turned to Kyuhyun and noticed his hand is together with Sungmin. He smiled and approached the older one. “Sungmin hyung…”

Hyung? Ryeowook called him hyung again? Sungmin’s eyes widened when Ryeowook bowed lowly in front of him. “In behalf of this group, please take care of KRY.”

Sungmin’s mouth hung as he watched Ryeowook lowering himself, more so when Kyuhyun bowed lowly as well. Hyukjae might have created this and now it’s his turn to nourish this group. This is his dream group; to have Kyuhyun and Ryeowook working with him again. He will wait for Hyukjae to come back and have the former Rookies like that 10 years ago.

Sungmin smiled and nodded.

------------------

The concert’s after party is over and now it’s time for them to all go home. They need to rest for a day before getting ready to fly to America. Sungmin was in the bus stop just near the company building, it’s quite cold as the winter season has begun. He tightened his scarf around him and pull up the hood of his jacket over his head. Kyuhyun was standing there watching him. He looked down and walked slowly towards the older one.

“Don’t you have a car?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin shook his head. “You know I’m never a good driver. I always rely on Hyukjae to drive me here and there.” Kyuhyun pouted while nodding. Sungmin looked down and hesitantly looked at the side of the younger. “How have you been?”

Kyuhyun looked down as well and looked at him. How has he been for the past years without Sungmin? Does he have to count the sleepless nights without the other man? Shall he count the lonely mornings and shall he tell Sungmin how he tried to make himself busy with school and training just so he can stop missing him for a while? How has he been?

Kyuhyun didn’t answer anymore. He just got the tail of Sungmin’s scarf and pulled the older guy towards him. He readily leaned his head and reached for those dried lips. They stayed like that for a while. Their lips are together and their hearts beat as one, their eyes are both closed as if only heaven sees them. When they separated, Kyuhyun looked at him.

3 years had passed by and both of them realised how independent they can be without the other. But at the end of the wait, they still choose to be together, to depend on each other. Not only because it is a promise they need to fulfil but because they both know from the beginning when they first met, they belong to each other. One can't be without the other, this is them.

Sungmin looked back and saw himself in those eyes. He saw himself in those dark eyes yet again; his favourite reflection of his will always be in those dark eyes. He smiled widely and the younger did the same. Why does it feel like its their first kiss? It's like they met again for the first time. Kyuhyun pulled him closer for an embrace. Their bodies are together yet again and what else is there to ask for?

 

 

 

“I miss you…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Author's note:
Woohoo!! The end. 
Nope, not yet. I'm going to post a bonus chapter for everyone. Pfft...
Your author is guilty of not posting for a long time and letting everyone
wait. I'm so sorry for all these. but still I'm very grateful that you came back
and continued to read. Thank you so much!

I seriously have no attachment to this story hahaha, it's quite stressful and 
upsetting for myself because I can't keep the ideas going. This story is the most
challenging of all (After LTS, yes, LTS) but well, I did it. hahaha...

Again, thank you so much for my readers; those who reads and comments, those
who reads silently, those who waits for everything to finish the story before reading, and 
everyone who subscribe and follow not only this story but all my stories. Thank you
so much friends!

Songs;
Let's Not
The One I Love
Credits to the translators  in youtube!