Guarded

Is this...love?

 

The rain splattered on the pavement as Chorong began her solitary walk home. Solitary. Alone. She sighed to herself and looked skyward, feeling the raindrops landing on her face.

 

‘I miss you guys,’ she whispered, struggling to hold back her tears.

 

 

-flashback: a year ago-

 

“Don’t trust any guy.”

That was what her mother told her.

 

Between her cheater father and her consequently temperamental mother, Chorong grew up in a messy and stressful home.

 

One day in the car, her parents were in a heated quarrel as usual. In the midst of it they failed to notice the red light and her father continued driving while yelling at her mother, ignoring Chorong’s frantic cries for them to stop the car.

 

The car crashed.

 

Safely strapped in the backseat, Chorong survived…to watch her parents die right in front of her eyes.

 

-end of flashback-

 

 

Chorong shook her head and tried to clear her mind from the painful memory.

 

“Park Chorong, you relocated to a new town to start afresh, you shouldn’t think about the past anymore!” she told herself.

 

She continued walking in the rain but it was not long before she was stopped by a figure in front, blocking her way. She looked up.

 

“Why didn’t you bring an umbrella? I’ll walk you home,” Woohyun appeared with an umbrella and promptly sheltered her from the now pouring rain.

 

“Why do you care?” She continued walking.

 

“You’ll catch a cold.”

 

He put his arms around her shoulders, forcing her to walk beside him. She struggled for a second before giving up, realizing how big the downpour was.

 

Woohyun smiled, “That’s a good girl.”

 

She said nothing.

 

“Don’t trust any guy.”

 

“He’s the kingka and the most famous playboy in our school”

 

Her mother’s words and Bomi’s words replayed in her mind. He does seem nice…but I must keep my guard up, she thought.

 

A sudden bolt of lightning followed by a loud rumble of thunder startled her and she jumped slightly. Woohyun tightened his grip around her shoulder protectively.

 

“Its okay,” he looked at her. I'll protect you.

 

She averted his gaze, feeling a slight fluttering feeling in her stomach. Park Chorong, your feelings can’t waver over such a little thing! she reminded herself.

 

They arrived at Chorong’s doorstop after a few minutes.

 

Finally, she thought.

 

“Gomawo,” she thanked Woohyun softly, impatiently wanting to enter her house and get away from him.

 

Woohyun grabbed her hand. “Aren’t you gonna invite me in?”  He asked.

 

“Whatever for?”

 

I want to talk to you more, he thought.

 

But to Chorong, he said, “Shouldn’t you invite me in for tea or something? I saved you from the rain.”

 

“No need for that.”

 

“Why? Are your parents home? Afraid of getting caught doing something naughty?” He asked cheekily.

 

“My parents are dead,” she said coldy.

 

Woohyun’s smile faded. “Mianhe, I didn’t know…”

 

“Its fine.”

 

“Chorong-ah, I-“

 

“Woohyun-shii, you should get going.”

 

With that, she disappeared into the house, leaving him standing at the sidewalk.