Chapter 5

Heart and Soul

PARK VILLA

 “live here all you want, but don’t expect everything to go smoothly.”

aish…”

Kim taeyeon shook her head vigorously at the thought of leeteuk’s words echoing in her mind. If not only for her job and the opportunity, she wouldn’t be bothered by the statement. Somehow, the words got entangled in her mind that she had to think it over, if the sentence really meant exactly as it wanted to convey. it might meant real, for someone like Park Jungsu.

Kim taeyeon pressed her pink blazer to her white ruffled blouse as she look at herself infront of the full length mirror. It would be her first day as a returning student, and first job as leeteuk’s observer. Excited to be a returning student, but not as an observer. To be an observer of someone who seem so mysterious and powerful, she might get easily trampled on.

Taeyeon laughed at the thought.

“what are you talking about kim taeyeon, you have the wits.” She reminded herself. It was properly enough of her to be equipped.

“taeyeon ssi?”

Taeyeon looked at around to find a man clad in black and white suit.

ne?” she leaned her head in proximity to her shoulder, wondering why the guard approached her.

“mister park told me to give you some materials that you will need when observing mister jungsu.”

“really?” taeyeon forwarded to retrieve the materials packed in a maroon backpack from the guard.

“these look like students notes.” Taeyeon smiled while opening the contents.

ne, so it wouldn’t seem suspicious for mister jungsu.”

kamsanida.” Taeyeon bowed. She looked at the notes again. the Park’s family history, Map of the estate, assets and other backgrounds related to the family were scribbled in ink and were arranged neatly in order. She would be reading all of it to keep up her work.

unni, we have to go!” taeyeon heard tiffany calling her form downstairs.

ne, I’ll follow!” taeyeon put the notebook inside her backpack and went outside her room.

------------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

I spotted tiffany and kangin getting inside the car as I closed the wooden main door of the villa behind me. for the moment, I thought it looked surreal seeing the three of us getting ready for school. When I stopped for a whole semester last time, i was the only one going to work; the two enter their own universities.

“its nice for mister park to lend us a car.” I told my siblings as I ushered tiffany to move at the passenger seat.

unni, you’re not going to ride here.” She blinked, shooing me away.

I cringed my eyebrows in question.

“what are you talking about? We have the same university.” I said, pushing her. Tiffany pouted but didn’t budge.

Kangin cleared .

 “taengoo, mister park called me, he said, you go with the car over there.” He pointed to another black car situated infront of the manor. Two guards were already outside its entrance and looked at me as if waiting for me to come over.

“two cars, same color, what’s the difference?” I said, shaking my head. Kangin laughed at me and closed the car door. That’s it, no chance, I have to follow the middle aged man’s orders.

“taeyeon ssi, this way please.” Another guard in a white and black suit ushered me. aish, is it a part of my job to ride another car?

I followed the guard and made a bow of thanks as he opened the car door at the back.

And there was leeteuk inside with a newspaper in his hands, crossing his legs, sitting comfortably. I knew it, this is going to be the start of my job as his father’s agent.

annyeong.” Of course I greeted him, taking another little bow. Starting my day with Park Jungsu, aka leeteuk. I didn’t know nightmares do extend in the morning.

He glanced from the newspaper he was reading and looked at me from head to toe as I hopped inside and invaded a space beside him.

 “you look amazingly human today.” He smiled.

“so are you, less evil.” I smiled back. but really, true to be honest, business attire and specs suited him well.

Leeteuk winked at me and continued reading his newspaper. Aish, what’s with this guy winking in the morning.

I shook my head and proceeded entertaining myself by looking outside the tinted window to catch a view of my surroundings. Brown leaves looked like they shed more as our car passed by the rows of trees. I wouldn’t usually notice it since I was used to blending myself with the environment of the city by being in a hurry everytime at work.

I glanced again at leeteuk and took a particular interest to some information of his paper. I’d better start conversing with him or I wouldn’t have anything to report.

“your father must have liked me that well to let me ride in your car.” I blurted as i made a glimpse at his reading material.

“or… maybe you need someone to talk to that’s why he had me here. ” I continued, laughing at the thought. I knew he will be asking himself why his father tasked me to ride with him, and it will be nice to divert the attention to something else.

Leeteuk flipped the newspaper to the next page.

“really?”

REALLY? Really, what a reply!

I cleared my throat to start another conversation.

“I will be your classmate from now on so I’m letting you be my friend.” I said nosily, trying to change the topic. It wasn’t that hard emphasizing my words since leeteuk and I were only separated by his leathery messenger bag in the middle of the car seat.  “you should be nice to me so I’d let you.”

Leeteuk looked at me for a second and smiled.

“I’m not applying, honey.” He replied, reading the contents of the paper, up and down.

Aish..

“then when will you be nice to me, at least?” I asked, suppressing a smile. Lesson one, kim taeyeon, keep your guard up.

“when you’re gone, I think.” He chuckled.

Aigoo, park jungsu. This maybe is the reason why your father kept hiring new agents.

“that’s fine, then I won’t be that nice to you either.” I said politely, composing myself. I returned to my previous pacing to the window on my right side. leeteuk didn’t respond and seemed like he wasn’t paying attention anymore so I just took out the notebook the guard gave me to have a light reading about the only son of Park Kyuwon.

“park jungsu.” I mouthed, scanning through the pages of the notebook. Leeteuk’s face and information immediately popped out at page 23. I should be memorizing this information so that even leeteuk couldn’t give me a false statement about his background. It will be also a good way to start snooping without him noticing.

Some more information… I found the other details boring and pushed through my readings at some other interesting facts. He plays the piano and the violin and he sings too. I wonder what the voice sounds like. He watches foreign movies particularly horror, oh yeah, he looks like one. Loves listening to musical solos, etc etc. aigoo.. more information to stack up. This will be more challenging when my college course comes in the way.

After a few more minutes of deafening silence, we finally reached the university. I glanced at the window again as the car passed by the rows of pine trees and oak trees. An immensed coliseum sized building greeted me as the chauffeur parked the car infront of it. The building was a mix of grey and white paint, and appeared very modern and up to date. Several buildings surrounded it too, the green and white painted library on the right side, the hospital on the other, a carpark building on the back, and and sports buildings on the left side.

The main building appeared bigger as I stepped outside the car. To estimate, ten to twenty floors up. So a school like this exists and little in my lifetime, I didn’t even know something about it.

I didn’t notice leeteuk was already standing beside me as I continue admiring the façade of the building. The chauffeur sped up leaving only the two of us in front of the school.

“surprised? I think the classroom is bigger than your home.” he mused.

“yes, I think it’s the size of your ego.” I agreed, winking at him.

Leeteuk laughed and headed towards the grand stair.

“you’re really interesting.” He smiled as he climbed up the stairs.

yah, wait for me! ” I called out.

It probably took us three minutes until we reach the final step of the stairs and I pretty leveled up with leeteuk because he looked like he had difficulty going up.

“is it going to be like this everyday?” I huffed, easing my breathing. I pushed my bangs outside my eyes to cool my forehead. Leeteuk wasn’t responding but it seemed that he was more exhausted than me as he leaned his head on the pillar beside the main door.

“that’s the problem of you rich kids who only use elevator than the stairs.” I joked, fixing my backpack.

I suddenly stopped kidding around when I heard him catching up with his breath.

“are you, are you  okay?” I asked, inching towards him. Leeteuk raised his palm at me, signaling me to stop.

“do you need water, do you need something?” I asked again. I saw him shaking his head in reply as he zipped open his bag, taking out a batch of yellow colored medicine.

It took me a minute before realizing what’s taking place. He probably swallowed three pills, choking at every swallow with sweat dripping at the side of his forehead.

“isn’t that too much?” I queried, maintaining my distance. I knew he wouldn’t let me interfere with his present condition, signaled by the hand sign he made earlier.

“I forgot to take vitamins.” He said, placing the medicine on his bag. I cringed my eyebrows in confusion. It wouldn’t take someone to swallow three vitamin pills just to keep up with a tired lung and it wouldn’t be a vitamin for medication either.

Leeteuk cleared his throat, fixed his blazer and the loose ends of his hair for a bit and acted like nothing happened as we went inside the building.

“what’s your previous course?” he began to ask me as we moved inside the hall, diverting the attention. I looked at him in shock.

“um,, tourism?” I said, keeping up with his pace. I was dreaming of becoming a flight attendant when I was young. I used to look at airplanes in the sky everytime I play outside the house.

Leeteuk nodded and exhaled forcefully as we walked a few more steps before the elevator.

“why ask?” I said, stopping in my tracks.

“nothing, just counting the days til you drop  out.” He smiled and moved forward.

What the----

yah, park jungsu!” I said, keeping up my pace. He seemed so quick in an instant as he disappeared via the elevator that closed immediately after he went in.

“hey, I’m new here, I don’t know the place!” I said, biting my lip. Aish.. this guy, really.

--------------------------

Business and Politics Classroom, International Students University

Leeteuk took a seat beside Siwon and gently took out his glasses before his eyes.

“wake me when the professor comes.” He told his towering friend as he closed his eyes and kept his head down at the table. He had wondered why the grand stairs began to be a challenge for him, making him almost lose the rhythm of his breathing.

“hey, what’s with you, you ran out of air again?” siwon asked, putting his hand on his forehead. “you’re so cold, I think you need to go to the clinic to check.”

Leeteuk shook his head.

“I’m okay.”

“really? you don’t look okay.” Leeteuk’s smiling friend, Eunhyuk chimed in.

“you’re late again.” siwon noticed as eunhyuk took a seat at the table on leeteuk’s left.

“it can’t be helped.” Eunhyuk grinned, rubbing his nose. He looked at leeteuk and poked his head. “yah, look at your face, it looked like you saw a ghost.”

“shut up.” Leeteuk whispered.

aish, not even thankful when someone worries.” Eunhyuk mumbled.

“who told you to worry.” Leeteuk said back.

He knew that he was tested for oxygen supply, but he didn’t realize that it would be promisingly fatal even when just climbing fifty steps of the stairs. He would be probably consulting doctor song after class.

Siwon scratched his head.

“teukie, tiffany told me that her sister will be our classmate, is that true?” he asked as he kept on staring at his friends paler face. “i was only told yesterday about the news that they moved into your place. Its so weird, having my girlfriend and her siblings stay at a friend’s home.”

“hyoyeon told me too when I called her.” eunhyuk said. “I was surprised that the one were just talking about is actually related to tiffany.”

“it must be a really huge coincidence.” Siwon added. “its so nice imagining stuffs like that which only happens in the movies.”

“movie buff.” Eunhyuk smirked. It had been a habit of siwon to relate their life events with movies and Leeteuk has been teased often with movies relating to protagonists with heart diseases.

Leeteuk coughed and continued sleeping.

“I went here with her.” he said matter-o-factly.

mwo? then where is she?” siwon looked around the classroom but didn’t notice any new looking face at the audience.

Leeteuk sat up and rested his head on the soft leather chair.

“at the groundfloor, looking for this classroom.”

aish, you call that being a gentleman?” eunhyuk bit his lip and started poking his friend with a fist. “yah, speak for yourself park jungsu! we’re fifteen floors up!”

“that’s not my problem anymore.” Leeteuk stared at eunhyuk innocently with his enlarged eyes. He couldn’t help but to smile at the thought of taeyeon searching frantically for the classroom.

--------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

Aish… that guy. Map says that the classroom is at the fifteenth floor. And I’m here at the fifteenth floor, surrounded by so many fully furnished wooden doors queuing at the hall. the problem is, which door to open. If I open one door, of course all the students will look at me. what more if it’s the wrong classroom? Aish..

“you need help, miss?”

I looked up and noticed a fragile looking man with a pink folder in his arms.

“um, I don’t know where the classroom of business and politics is.” I said, scratching my head. I was amazed by the flawless appearance of his skin which can almost be comparable to a model’s , and the way he carried his suit in a prep up style.

“is it concidence? I’m heading for the same room too.” He smiled at me. “and since you look like you’re new here, I’ll be escorting you there.”

He held out his hand, and ushered me to move.

“thanks.” I muttered keeping up.

“I’m lee sungmin by the way, you can call me Minnie.” He said as we move towards the hall.

“kim taeyeon, you can call me taeng.” I said back. If all people here are much like sungmin, then I would be really happy to get to know them all. “Minnie’s a nice nickname, I’m a fan of mickey mouse.”

 “haha, that’s so cute, were destined to meet then, taeng.” sungmin said. “what brought you here anyways? You got bored by your previous course?” he asked.

annyeo, someone sponsored me to study here, I was late by a semester.” I confessed. I knew I sounded pathetic at the mention of the “sponsor” but he didn’t seem to mind. He just kept nodding, absorbing the details.

“if I were you, I would be asking someone to especially if I am a new student here at this university.” Sungmin said. “I’m amazed that you reach the fifteenth floor quite easily.”

“um, map.” I answered, showing him floor plan of the building. Good thing, mister park prepared me a map or I’d really be busted. I can already imagine leeteuk laughing at me for being lost and I could also imagine myself giving him a nice whack at the back of his head.

“that’s a good detailed map out there.” Sungmin noticed. “how did you come here anyways? Its hard to commute at this place.”

“I was with leeteuk earlier.” I blurted. I would really be getting back at him for leaving me at the ground floor.

Sungmin cringed his nose.

“come again? did you say leeteuk?” he asked, stopping.

ne. why?”

“you’re his girlfriend?” he gaped at me.

“ah, no you got that wrong.” I said, defensively, raising my hands.

“don’t deny it, you actually look like a cute pair.” Sungmin smiled.

The thought of leeteuk as a boyfriend? Nope, not a good idea.

“his father sponsored me to study here, and since we have the same course, we came together.” I said, fanning myself. thinking of that idea dilated my blood supply all of a sudden. “actually my siblings too, they’re sponsored but they rode a different car upon going here.”

“wow, talking about five star treatment.” Sungmin gushed, pinching my arm. “sorry, I really thought you were his girlfriend. It would really be big news if it turned out to be.”

 “what do you mean?” I asked, wondering.

“you actually don’t know anything about leeteuk yet, do you?” sungmin smiled. “I guess you have to find yourself out.”

Day by day, I’m getting more riddles about leeteuk. And day by day, it seemed that I need to consult my notebook right away.

I touched my cheek with a hand, still in confuse of the thought.

“here we are, room 15-43” sungmin said, opening the door.

The place appeared like a mini convention area with huge leather cozy chairs and long wooden tables in front.

“you sit beside me so I can orient you.” Sungmin said, holding my hand. I nodded and followed him as we descended the stairs. The more we descend, the more it reached the teacher’s table.

About thirty people I think, were present. And I can already see leeteuk at the left side, leaning comfortably on his chair.

Sungmin waved at leeteuk.

annyeong, hyung.” He smiled.

Leeteuk nodded, meeting my gaze.

“you’re dead meat.” I mouthed at him, causing a huge deal of laughter to the boy beside him whose gums really appeared visible everytime he shows his teeth.

I was surprised that Leeteuk smiled too and even winked at me.

aigoo.” I mumbled.

“looks like leeteuk has found his playmate.” Sungmin laughed, ushering me to sit.

-------------------------

Business and Politics class

Taeyeon’s POV

boring… I would really doze off right now, if this professor continues to tell us about economics. Already four hours of sitting and jotting down notes would do the trick, spared by the free internet I can do with my cellphone and observing leeteuk’s habits of listening in the class. Leeteuk, without a doubt, is a good student. The only thing I can see on him, is his way of crossing his arms as he listens to every discussion the professor makes, and ignoring his trusty sidekick who would always throw corny lines at every lesson.

“already with leeteuk for 4 hours, nothing major happenings.” I texted mister park. I knew he would be happy that his son is not cutting classes.

I looked again at leeteuk and noticed him swallowing another medicine. I noticed that he would swallow one every 2 hours, which is undoubtedly weird.

yah, what does he think of medicines, candy?” I poked sungmin who was turning off his voice recorder at the moment the professor stopped talking about surplus supplies.

“that’s for his heart.” sungmin whispered.

booya? Heart?” I poked sungmin again but he wasn’t paying attention to me this time because the professor started another topic. It seemed like there was something with leeteuk that I need to know and it bothers me so much as I look at him leaning at his chair.

yah, sungmin, tell me.” I made another poke, this time, twice the failure for my seatmate shushed me out with a finger. I rolled my eyes and turned my direction towards leeteuk again.

I noticed him muttering something to siwon and he headed out of the room in a couple of seconds.

-----------------------

Leeteuk opened the door on the fire exit and leaned himself against the wall as he drank a huge amount of water. he didn’t like the shortness of breath he was experiencing all of a sudden and the dizziness he felt ever since he walked the grand stairs. Four hours of non stop listening to the professor also added an additional damage. He had been in the bathroom before heading the area to wash his face to provide a cooling sensation to his head.

He put out a cigarette box on his pocket and a lighted a stick. He knew it was a bad habit, but he cannot stop surrendering himself from such acts whenever he gets anxious.

“smoking is prohibited in this university right?” he heard someone say. Leeteuk looked at his left and noticed taeyeon standing in the same area as him, cringing her eyebrows.

“why, does it bother you?” leeteuk asked, inhaling the stick. He immediately coughed at the strength of the smoke invading his nose.

“it does, because were going home together and  I don’t want to smell like nicotine.” Taeyeon blurted, stealing his cigarette. Leeteuk watched as she disposed the stick on the nearby trash can.

He smiled and went to descend more steps.

yah, where are you going?” taeyeon asked.

“to a taeyeon-proof place.” He chuckled.

“you mean, smoke in the restroom? No way, I’d tell your dad that you’re doing it.” taeyeon said.

Leeteuk shrugged and descended himself.

“you are really so rude.” Taeyeon stared in shock.

“thank you.”

aish… I doubt a girl even liked you for behaving such.” Taeyeon snapped when leeteuk continued walking.

He immediately stopped his action and faced her direction, looking up.

“what?”

“if a girl even loved you, she just wasted her time. I doubt one can stand someone like you.”She continued, crossing her arms.

-------------------------

Fire exit

Taeyeon’s pov

“if a girl even loved you, she just wasted her time. I doubt one can stand someone like you.”I called out.

I wouldn’t be blurting such things if he could only stop being rude at me. I doubt it that he had a proper relationship anyway.

I stared at him, hands on my hips as he stared at me back with a somewhat pained expression in the eyes. I immediately halted myself when I saw him biting his lip and touching his heart.

“don’t tell me------“

And my voice was cut off when I saw leeteuk passed out infront of my eyes.

-------------------------

Emergency room, Seoul Hospital

“please be seated miss kim.”

Doctor Song took out his clipboard and placed a clean sheet of pad paper.

“my name is doctor song by the way, I’m leeteuk’s doctor.” He said, smoothing out the paper. “you’re leeteuk’s classmate and mister park’s savior, I believe I’m correct?”

“you’re so quick in getting that information.” Taeyeon said, amazed.

“I’m a park family physician for years, I know everything that goes.” He smiled. “shall we start the interview?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“I didn’t do anything, he just passed out.” she looked down on her lap, embarrassed. she had already reported to mister park about the incident and the latter replied by following after an on-going board meeting. She didn’t know that leeteuk would easily faint.

Leeteuk was currenlty being treated by nurses at the next curtained space beside the two.

“yes, you believe that you didn’t do anything.” Doctor song agreed. “did you by chance, told him anything that made him be in the condition that he has now?”

Taeyeon’s hands curled into a fist as she smoothen the creases of her skirt.

“I just told him about me doubting that he had a previous love life because of his attitude.” she blurted, recalling the events. “why? Something wrong?”

Doctor song shrugged.

“there are things that could trigger a person to faint and one example are powerful words.” He said, jotting down the details.

“how?” taeyeon scratched her head. “those are just simple words.”

Leeteuk might only be kidding, he’s very good at acting, she thought.

“did you notice anything peculiar with him since morning?” doctor song asked.

“we went up the grand stairs earlier before class, and I noticed that he was really tired afterwards.”

Taeyeon exhaled heavily.

“I don’t get it, doctor. Is there something wrong with park jungsu?” she asked, uneasily.

Doctor song nodded and sighed.

“leeteuk has a con heart disease, his valves are not functioning properly.” He replied. “and any hurtful memories he could recall can damage his heart in a matter of seconds.”