CHAPTER 22

Heart and Soul

Leeteuk’s Private room, Seoul Hospital

Taeyeon’s POV

“good thing you were able to bring him early.” Doctor song said as heechul and I glanced at the sleeping leeteuk on the hospital bed. Leeteuk was easily admitted to the hospital when he collapsed due to his incident with heechul, his body covered in mild bruises especially at the chest. The purplish color of the blotches was a not a good sight, as I would easily look away just by imagining how many strong punches have landed on that chest. I was scolding heechul on the way to hospital, with him, nervous about what’s taking place. He obviously didn’t know and I had no choice but to explain to him everything regarding leeteuk’s condition.

That leeteuk has a con heart disease and valvular insufficiency, making his breathing irregular and shallow.

Doctor song gave me some medicines for leeteuk’s treatment. All about treating bruises. Good thing he just collapsed because of breathing issues, as I would be more worried if it concerns the heart. it concerns the heart, because of the oxygen supply, but it was all because of fighting that he wasn’t able to catch up with his breath properly.

Good thing it was really a mild condition or I would imagine myself going berserk over a whole idea that my boyfriend had been easily beaten upon by an effeminate looking guy.

“I’ll just buy these at the pharmacy, can I leave you here for a while?” I asked heechul, who, was biting his nails unconsciously. Heechul had been walking to and fro at the leeteuk’s private room, stealing glances on him at the bed. Doctor song had immediately left the area to tend to his other patients.

“no, I’ll just be the one to buy it.” heechul volunteered, and I agreed in instant. He must have felt really guilty to the way he treated his brother. If I wasn’t there he could have killed him.

Sometimes I would think of why leeteuk didn’t even dare to tell him about his sickness when they were fighting . I guess he does not wanted to have his pride disdained.

Heechul darted off the room as I sat near leeteuk’s bed, watching him breathe through the oxygen tank. The green oxygen tank would supply his breathing for a while, since his heart cannot pump and supply much blood due to the calming effects of the drugs that had been put on it.

“the bluish coloration to the side of his lips explains the blood supply lacking to the other parts of his system.” It was all what doctor song told me when I asked about some changes in leeteuk’s body.i remembered leeteuk had complained about it at the mall, and I was making things easy by telling him that its all fine.

Even if it worried me a lot, and scared the hell out of me.

 I was advised that he should take surgery as soon as possible. And I haven’t even called a single heart center.

I decided to spend some time dialing a prospect heart center in yongsan gu to check if they have a heart compatible with leeteuk’s blood type. The nurse that had answered sounded inviting that it was easy for me to tell what I was looking for.

“type AB negative?” said the nurse through the speaker. I nodded and gave her more details concerning leeteuk, such as any allergies or any phobias in surgery.

“I’m sorry dear but majority of the hearts here are for types A, B, and O. “ she said.

“even AB there’s none?” I asked, feeling hopeful. Sadly, what I don’t want to hear immediately popped out from her voice.

“there are other heart centers that I think will have that kind of blood type compatibility.” She suggested, and I scribbled down some numbers for me to call later.

“okay, thank you.”

I put off the phone and sighed. And decided to dial another number.

“yes, my name is kim taeyeon.” I said as I took some orange from the bowl. I groaned when they told me that they don’t have a compatible heart and suggested other centers for me to call.

“ugh, I guess I have to dial all heart centers.” I muttered taking a bite from the fruit. I was gazing down the floor, shaking my head, when a view from leeteuk’s pale hand slightly jerked.

“teuk?” I said. I almost stood up, losing my balance. leeteuk opened his eyes slowly and winced through the bright light surrounding the hospital private room.

“wow you’re eating.” He noticed because I have a half chunk of orange to my mouth.

 Is this a proper greeting from a patient?

yah, don’t move easily, you have bruises.” I said when he was about to get up. Leeteuk nodded and opted to recline the bed instead.

I ate another orange as we locked eyes for seconds, probably because he was too amused to watch me eat.

“how are you feeling?” I asked.

“painful.” He said.

“do you want a pain reliever?”

“I just need you.” He said. I don’t know if I should laugh or be touched of what I heard.

I pulled the blanket to the level of his exposed bruised chest to prevent him for feeling cold.

“heechul went to the pharmacy to buy you something for your bruises.” I said when leeteuk rested his head deep to the pillow.

“heechul?”

Yes I know, he will be surprised that his brother felt guilty for having a fight with him. And we both had a conclusion that heechul was really clueless about the reasons of his inheritance.

“he and I brought you here.” I explained. The estate was too big that the guards around the place didn’t notice two boys fighting. “you should talk to him, I think he doesn’t know what’s going on.”

“maybe I should.”

“that oxygen supply, to your nose, how does it feel?” I asked curiously, diverting both our attention to  the plastic tube on his face. I didn’t want to talk about the fight anymore, I was too preoccupied with it on the way to the hospital because of spending too much time lending my ears to heechul’s side.

“you want to try?” he was about to remove his oxygen supply when I shrieked in panic. “what, taeng?”

“don’t take that off, you’re still in treatment!” I blurted. I sighed and slumped on the chair as leeteuk laughed at me for being so paranoid.

“honey, its just like an inhaler.” He said, composing himself. “I can still breathe without it, its more like an aid to have a better circulation.”

“okay, fine.” I said, even if I don’t know how an inhaler works. All I know was that those supplies are of great help.

“I heard you talking to heart centers.” Leeteuk said.

mwo—you’re awake then?”

This surprised me a lot.

“your voice woke me up.” He confessed. Leeteuk looked at me with his deep chocolate eyes, somewhat concerned.

“are you tired?” he asked.

I wrinkled my brows in confusion and noticed him really pitying me.

“why are you talking that way.” I laughed, realizing what he meant. He was probably worrying about the way I reacted about the two centers that do not have a heart compatible with his blood type. “I still have a lot to go. There are many heart centers here. I bet you, we can have a heart donor in a matter of days.”

Leeteuk bit his lip and touched my hand.

“I’m sorry that you have to go through this.” He said gently.

“hey, I chose to take care of you, I love doing this.” I said, patting his cold hand.

Even if takes me sleepless nights just finding the right hospital, I’d do it for the sake of him.

“if I’m already tired I should have left you and search for suju leader.” I added.

Leeteuk wrinkled his nose cutely in disgust as I laugh carelessly on my seat.

“I’m jealous, can you stop mentioning him?” he asked, looking at the ceiling.

“why should i?”

“because you’re mine.” He pouted.

“are you like this all the time?” I rolled my eyes but definitely smiled at the thought. he must have been really possessive with ga-in unni during their relationship.

But Leeteuk shook his head innocently to my surprise.

“I’ve never been jealous.” He said. “but when you’re liking someone I just felt it.”

I made a slight pinch on his hand to wake him up for submerging into a thing that he doesn’t have to even put an effort thinking about.

“you have nice features, you’re smart, you’re rich, you have a fan club and you have a very cute girlfriend who would willingly stay up all night to check you up.” I blurted, making him smile. “everyone should be jealous of what you have, not you.”

“should I take that as a compliment?” he giggled.

“yeah, except that suju leader is smart too and is linked to a very pretty girl in snsd.” I continued. Leeteuk squeezed my fingers a little irritatingly.

“fine, no mention about it.” I laughed.

---------------------------

Heechul’s POV

“is this all?” I asked the pharmacy lady. I fumbled for money inside my pocket and paid the waiting cashier nearby. That leeteuk. He has to put all of this because of me. i didn’t know that he’s sick. He should have told me when we were fighting. But then again he won’t be able to show his manly side, and I am definitely sure that the guy definitely wanted to beat the hell out of me.

I stuffed his medicines to my pocket and made my way to the corridors of the hospital, thinking of what to do next. I know that the moment I go inside the private room, kim taeyeon would ask me a lot of questions. Come to think of it, she’s curious as well of my existence.

A lot of questions fill in my head. Why did father never mention anything about park jungsu’s condition? Is this a plan from the very beginning that’s why he sent me to good business schools? And why did leeteuk never wanted me to go near his siblings? I scratched my head, thinking of every possible answers I can decipher. I’m intelligent enough to know all of this on my own, but I also think that hearing other people’s sides would benefit. Is it possible that my siblings never knew about my existence that’s why leeteuk wanted me to avoid them? This one I have to find out.

I was about to touch the knob to the door of leeteuk’s private room when a blonde girl in pink cardigan and tight jeans came rushing towards the same direction as well. She noticed that I am about to open the room and she gave me a quick icy stare. She was carrying an enormous basket full of fruits and other items and it must have been heavy for her.

“are you coming inside also?” I queried, trying to be a gentleman.

“isn’t it obvious?” she snapped back. Oh my. She answers just like me.

I smirked, opened the door and let the blonde girl made her way first inside the room as I observe some details in her physical aspect. Not bad. Her looks were definitely a plus.

yah, jessica, good you came.” Taeyeon blurted, getting the basket from the girl.

“its raining! Good thing I was able to get a cab.” Jessica rolled her eyes as she placed her bag to the table. taeyeon looked at me and I quickly notice that beside her, leeteuk is already awake.

“um..” I didn’t know what to say. Suddenly, all I heard was silence and all the people are staring at my direction, including Jessica, who was giving me a tremendous glare. What’s with this girl? She knew already that leeteuk and I had a fight?

“sica, let’s go outside for a dinner, I’ll treat you.” Taeyeon got hold of jessica’s arm and dragged her towards the door.

“but I have to talk to teukie opp—“

“you can talk to him later.” Taeyeon said. she turned to leeteuk and waved. “babe, I’ll see you later.”

Leeteuk nodded and watched as taeyeon pulled Jessica out of the room, leaving only the two of us behind.

Before I would just take this silence as nothing, but somehow today, became a lot different. My heart was pounding so fast and I seemed very nervous as my half brother stared at me in silence spared upon by the sound of him eating a bowl of oranges which appeared like his girlfriend prepared for him.

“take a seat.” He ordered me. I quickly obliged and made my way towards his direction. This is probably my first time obeying someone who’s older than me in months.

“oranges?” leeteuk offered when I sat down. I shook my head and placed the medicines to his sides.

“you can pay me later.” I kidded as he bowed his head and observed the pain relievers and creams that I bought.

And I still have the time to joke around. what’s with me.

“thank you.” Was all he said. I rested my back comfortably on the chair and crossed my legs.

“about the fight earlier—“

“its not your fault.” Leeteuk cut me off as he ate another batch of orange. I looked at him surprisingly, my jaw almost hanging from the thought.

“you’re not blaming me?”

“no.” leeteuk said. “if I was in a good condition, I would have considered that as a good fight.”

I chuckled unconsciously and flipped my black hair backwards.

“you owe me an apology for being rude though.” He said matter-o-factly, with a voice that was so serious and gentle at the same time that I didn’t hesitate to bow my head.

“I’m… I’m sorry.” I said.

Leeteuk nodded and chewed another orange.

“father didn’t tell you about my condition, am I correct?” he asked.

“he didn’t.” I said, remembering that father only told me that I am replacing leeteuk because of his bad habits.

“he must have told you that I have a bad lifestyle.” Leeteuk said.

“that you drink, go to clubs and other vices, yes.” I said.

It was leeteuk’s turn to chuckle, only that the oxygen tank supplying him made it a little difficult for him to express his laughter.

“that’s actually true.” He said, pointing an orange at me. “but that was before I met my girlfriend. Change of plans you know. Suddenly you are in love and all you can think about is to give her a better future.”

I imagined leeteuk dropping all of his bad habits because of taeyeon. That small but terrible girl in skimpy skirt appeared like she won out of lottery for stealing the heart of this  man.

“but.” He continued, turning serious again. “father told you that I have bad behavior to mask my sickness. So it may seem that he’s still telling the truth but partly.”

Leeteuk looked at his oxygen tank and winced as he tried to rest comfortably on his reclined bed.

“so its because you’re sick that father wanted me to replace you?” I asked.

“not really.” leeteuk said.

“but he sent me to business schools in Ca—“

“he has many plans.” Leeteuk corrected me. “he must have envisioned my condition a  long time ago that he sent you to good schools that just incase, you will replace me. but at the same time, he wanted me to respond to treatments that’s why I have surgeries every year. “

I bit my lip and cupped my head, with my elbow resting to leeteuk’s bed.

“I looked like a back up.” I blurted.

He is the legitimate after all. I was just accidentally brought upon this world by a ridiculous one night stand.

“I looked more like the back up.” leeteuk ate another orange. “it looked like he’s more keen on replacing me because definitely you’re in a good condition.”

I glanced at leeteuk’s eyes and he stared at me back with a compassionate look that I forgot I had a recent feud with him.

“heenim, I’m dying.” He said gently. I was really surprised that he called me by my nickname. He must have been observing me for a long time. “but I want to live because of a girl who made me realize that I have to move forward. So I’m taking all the chances I have.”

“if you cooperate with me, and when the time comes that I’ll be in a better condition, we’ll talk about the inheritance.” He continued, placing the bowl of oranges to the table. “you really wanted to be a part of it, right?”

“honestly I was blinded by the opportunities of getting your wealth.” I confessed. But now that the more I think about stealing his properties, the more of guilt embraces me. I was not really destined to get them all. It belongs to him.

My brother.

“I’m not getting your inheritance.” I decided and leeteuk looked at me again.

“but I am giving you a part of it.” he smiled.

“I don’t deserve it.”

“but you are my brother.” Leeteuk said. “but first things first, do you really want to meet our siblings?”

Our siblings…

I felt my eyes twinkling, as if a dust has been caught between.

“please give them time, to meet you.” Leeteuk said. “they don’t know anything about the extended family.”

“but you knew.” I said.

“because I saw your mom.” Leeteuk said, reminiscing on the lady at the funeral. “forgive me, I was really nosy back then.”

I giggled and sighed.

“it looked like you really know a lot about me.” I confessed.

“but I do.” he said. “so it will be easier for you to get along with me.”

I smiled and realized one thing. I guess there had been a hyung watching me all this time.

-------------------------

taeyeon’s POV

I know that heechul and leeteuk had a lot to talk about so I treated Jessica for a quick dinner at the hospital canteen. Good thing sica didn’t ask any further questions about the two. I knew that she’s not ready yet to recognize heechul as leeteuk’s brother, although she discovered that the two had a fight. She was really furious at heechul for beating leeteuk up, but I would always come to a defense that the half brother didn’t know any single thing about my boyfriend’s condition.

“good thing he brought oppa to the hospital or else.” Was jessica’s line when I told her everything about what happened earlier at the estate. She could have beat the hell out of heechul, since Jessica is an avid supporter of leeteuk and would not want anything harmful for him. I was fortunate that she acknowledged me as leeteuk’s girlfriend, I thought she would be mad but it was exactly the opposite.

I guess everyone wanted leeteuk to be happy. Especially at what he’s experiencing at the moment—battling his sickness.

I opened the door and found leeteuk and heechul still talking about something, although leeteuk was more of resting now since he was closing his eyes. heechul was mentioning something about his childhood, or it appeared he was telling his brother more information about him. I cannot describe the scene, a guy at the hospital bed, and another guy on the chair looking at him sincerely. It was more like a feud didn’t exist at all.

“um, should I go out?” I suggested, thinking I’d destroy their moment. Leeteuk opened his eyes and motioned me to come over.

“I guess you two are okay now, huh?” I asked while I lay next to leeteuk at the hospital bed. I smiled at the empty bowl next to him on the table, where traces of oranges are nowhere to be seen.

“teuk told me a lot about you.” Heechul suddenly blurted.

I rested my head on leeteuk’s broad shoulder.

“what did you tell him?” I asked, sounding like a police investigator.

“what do you think?” leeteuk smiled at me.

I rubbed my nose unconsciously while swaying my dangling leg at the side of the bed.

“if he’s telling you about my attractiveness its fine with me.” I told heechul who immediately laughed at my words.

“ah, so this is the funny taengoo that you mentioned.” Heechul looked at leeteuk.

I sat up and stared at the two.

“what funny taengoo?” I queried.

“its between us guys.” Leeteuk said. “sorry.”

“what? I’m your girlfriend, you should tell me.” I said, poking his chest. I forgot that he had bruises there. “hey, I’m sorry, I forgot---“

“looks like teuk will be beaten up when he’s okay.” Heechul laughed.

I rolled my eyes and went to sit on the couch at the edge of the room.

“hey, why are you there?”

“you guys are having a moment, I’m  fine here.” I said to leeteuk who was pouting.

KNOCK KNOCK

“must be the nurse.” Heechul stood up, opened the door and watched as a tall beautiful nurse entered the room, carrying a tray of medicine kit on both of her hands.

Wait, she is a nurse? That tall white blonde beauty who looked like she went on a cosplay by dressing up as a nurse?

“hello, I’m nurse Nana, I will be mister park’s nurse for the night.” Nana smiled with a deep set of dimples showing up. Heechul looked at leeteuk as if the latter won a jackpot.

“let me recline the bed for you mister park.” Nana maneuvered the remote for leeteuk’s bed to recline more.

“nurse Nana looks like a Korean model.” Heechul blurted out when the blonde haired nurse started checking for leeteuk’s blood pressure.

Nana smiled at him as if the praise definitely hit her at the heart.

“people say that all the time.” She mused, checking on leeteuk’s oxygen tank too. “how old are you mister park?”

“twenty five.” Leeteuk said.

“I’m twenty five too.” Nana said. I looked at her in shock. Are nurses supposed to be like this?

“I’m twenty five too.” Heechul joined.

“oh, I’ve mistaken you as older.” Nana noticed and I laughed immediately at heechul’s sudden awkward look. “you and mister park are brothers?”

Heechul stared at leeteuk.

“were bestfriends.” Leeteuk said, partly amazed at Nana’s statement. I was bit of surprised too.

“I see.”  Nana put out some creams from her kit. There were probably three creams in separate white tubes only covered by pastel colored caps. “there was a craze at the nurses station, apparently all the young nurses wanted to be in this room.”

Leeteuk and heechul looked at each other.

“mister park’s causing a quite stir to the female nurses.” Nana continued. “lucky I was destined to be here. I guess its really true that you are good looking.”

I raised my eyebrows in shock and stared at heechul who was shrugging his shoulders and laughing at the same time.

“it looks like he’s having a fan club soon.” I blurted sarcastically for this nurse to hear.

“oh he will be.” Nana nodded. “I shall be the president when that time comes, what do you think, mister park?”

Leeteuk saw me clenching my teeth at the corner and smiled as if telling me that there is nothing to worry about.

“I’m sorry?” leeteuk paced his attention towards Nana.

“just kidding.” Nana pulled off his blanket a little notch lower. “I will be applying your healing cream, mister park.”

Nurse Nana gently pulled leeteuk’s top to the side, exposing his chest.

The scene alarmed me like a blast and I didn’t know whether its proper for me to hit a laughing heechul at the corner who looked like he was observing my reactions all the time. I made a face towards him and groaned at the floor, noisily tapping my shoe. It didn’t appear like the nurse noticed for she was still talking to leeteuk and treating him, as if the two of them only existed.

“where do you study?”

“I study business.”

“you must be a good businessman.”

“not really.”

Nana kept distracting leeteuk with a lot of questions that really bugged me. what’s this? I don’t like this at all. I hit my cheek with a fist, maybe I should stop feeling like this. She’s a nurse, what’s wrong with me?

Leeteuk gazed at my direction and noticed me constantly hitting my cheek.

“taeng.” He mouthed. He must have been telling me to come over but I was shaking my head in response.

“a lot of girls must be swooning at you at school, its not hard finding your ideal girl.” I heard Nana talk again to him.

“taeng.” This time, leeteuk was not mouthing my name. how will I go there if she keeps talking to you?

Leeteuk smiled and rolled his eyes.

“have you met my baby?” he asked the nurse.

….

“she’s over there at the couch.” Leeteuk pointed at me and motioned me again to come over.

Nana looked at me in surprise.

“she’s your girlfriend?” I swear I saw her eyes twinkling in amazement, making the scene appear as if things were unbelievable. “I thought she’s your sister.”

“they say that people who look alike end up being together.” Leeteuk beamed as I hesitated to come over but finally gave in. leeteuk wrapped his arm around my waist as nurse Nana started packing up her materials.

“why did you say that?” I hissed at him.

“because you’re not talking to her that you are.” He whispered, smiling. I groaned and pursed my lips as nurse Nana darted off the room. I glanced at leeteuk again and poked his nose.

This guy can definitely make me feel good at myself in all aspects.

------------------------

Leeteuk’s POV

Heechul had left the hospital at midnight leaving the private room to only taeyeon and I, in search of father, who, I don’t know what deal will take place. All I know was father wanted to talk to him after finding out about the fight.

And the old man, didn’t even make a visit.

My sisters, hyoyeon and Inyoung must have been aware of the fight too. And one of my concerns when I go out of this space is to find a way of telling them how I entangled myself with the situation. Especially to hyoyeon who always like to ask certain questions.

Time is both my enemy and friend.

I watched taeyeon sleep beside me at the hospital bed, her face and body motioned towards me. her closed eyes amidst of the goddess-like features appeared tired and swollen under the lids, appearing that she must have accompanied herself staying up late. Staying up late because of studying, and now staying up late because of watching over me. I felt like a huge burden towards my baby.

Taeyeon slightly jerked her head when I glided my cold hand across her face. I hate the fact that I have cold hands, made by the less blood supply that my arteries cannot help but to constrict themselves so that my blood circulation will be kept normal.

If taeyeon and I find a heart soon, then my physical weakness can be replaced by a strong version of me and she doesn’t have to be like this forever.

Only time can tell.