CHAPTER 11

Heart and Soul

STONE FOUNTAIN, PARK ESTATE

Leeteuk graciously breathe in the fresh air that surrounded him while sitting at the stone fountain of their family’s estate. It had been a long time since he spent moments outside doing nothing but just to sit and stare at the clouds, like he and his mother used to do. it was always comforting for him to look for the odd shapes that it can form. and the sound of flowing water from the fountain added the effect, like a nature’s musical from within.

How he’s doing it again, he had no idea. Its just that he felt doing the same things he used to do five years ago. He even had a change of wardrobe, opting for lighter colors just for today.

Leeteuk played with his keys unconsciously, undmindful of taeyeon emerging from east wing of the park manor. The east wing of the park manor leads to the direction of the stone fountain area, which separates the villa from Park family’s own home.

“oh, hi!” taeyeon waved upon seeing him.

Leeteuk’s head made a slight bow and resumed toying with his car keys.

“you’re going out?” taeyeon noticed when she neared towards him. Leeteuk looked up and saw taeyeon staring at him as if she’s seeing a renaissance made statue. “I thought I saw an angel, looks like it was just you in a white outfit.”

“are you flirting with me?” leeteuk smiled.

“so you’re affected?” taeyeon smiled back. Leeteuk laughed as she made a slight pinch in his arm.

“you better eat, you’re so thin!” she mused, letting go.

“ah… okay.” Was his only response.

aigoo.” Taeyeon pinched him again. “I’m going out too. Can you give me a ride?”

Leeteuk was obviously surprised at her statement.

“you have an appointment?”

“appointment? What am I, a businesswoman or something?” taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I’m heading to an apartment of my friend.”

“apartment, you say.” leeteuk repeated, staring at taeyeon’s unusual habit of swaying her bag.

ne.” taeyeon sat down too. She cannot tell him about her plans for today because he will be involved in all aspects.

“you’re going to an apartment in a condition like that.” leeteuk was talking about her arm.

Taeyeon smiled and sprayed simultaneous little amounts of water from her hands to leeteuk from the fountain.

“ugh, that’s dirty.” Leeteuk darted off.

aigoo, you’re such an obsessive-compulsive person. its been a week, and I told you, its completely healed.” Taeyeon mused, looking at the bandage. “next week I’m going to the doctor to have the stitches removed,  you want to come?”

“i’m getting my blood test results nextweek so probably, yes.” Leeteuk said.

“good then, saves gas.”

Taeyeon fumbled for some materials at her fuschia colored bag.

“before I forget everything.” She said. “I’m giving you this coupon.”

Leeteuk retrieved the coupon from taeyeon’s hands and read the contents.

“free hair spa and body massage.” He blurted.

“I got that from sunny.” Taeyeon smiled. “we should go there, you know. Bonding time. Talk about things and stuff.”

“you’re not thinking of me as a girl, are you?” leeteuk blinked.

“ahaha, annyeo, I just want you to detoxify since your body’s too contaminated.” Taeyeon said, rubbing her cheek. “and we could eat ice cream after that or something cold.”

“I’m not allowed to eat ice cream.” Leeteuk said innocently.

Taeyeon gasped.

“for real?” she gaped, putting her hands at her hips. “park jungsu, just what are you missing?? Okay, fine, don’t worry, I’ll treat you to a non fat ice cream parlor later so be sure to go home early.”

“okay.”

“see, perks of being friends with me.” taeyeon smiled. “we can try things you haven’t tried before.”

“something wrong?” taeyeon noticed the Park sibling staring at the clouds.

“someone told me that before.” leeteuk chuckled, referring to ga-in.

Taeyeon knew about ga-in but she felt that it wasn’t the right time for leeteuk to discover all the information she knew about him and his history.

“that’s okay, that person must have been itching to let you explore the world.” She smiled, patting his back. “hey, thanks anyways for the notes, I think I will score higher than you in the coming exams.”

Leeteuk nodded and leveled up his gaze.

“I’ll anticipate that.”

“you should be.” Taeyeon winked as she stood and pulled him by the arm. “let’s go, you give me a ride.”

-----------------------

FALLEN ANGEL’S FANS CLUB, Jessica Jung’s apartment

“you can’t quit right now, you just applied the other week ago.” Jessica told taeyeon when the latter visited her for a talk. The fan club president had never experienced somebody quitting the fan club for real and it really disturbed her when taeyeon personally asked her permission to leave the club.

Taeyeon shook her head at the sight of Jessica walking back and forth the living room.

“I didn’t actually apply, you hired me.” she corrected her. “I don’t want to spill anything related to leeteuk at home, it will ruin his privacy. In the school, maybe yes, you can still spy or observe him or whatever but please give him privacy when he’s home at least.”

Taeyeon had realized how leeteuk would feel so scandalized if he found out that the club is crossing the boundaries to their home. leeteuk had been with every major trauma one cannot even decipher—knives, burglars, laceration, living without a mother, and a dead first love.

“I cannot believe this.” Jessica crossed her arms. “we made a deal and you’re ruining it.”

“hey.” Taeyeon crossed her arms too. “even celebrities are given privacy at their home. if you really are fans of leeteuk then you should be understanding this too.”

“I want to know how oppa eats or even sleeps, or how he takes the shower.” Jessica pouted. She had been a follower of leeteuk ever since her mind could remember but the security system around leeteuk and his coldness towards other people made him distant to others.

mwo, and you still even think that I’ll observe him in the shower? You’re nuts.” taeyeon laughed at the thought.

“you just can’t quit, we already have a pact to be fans of oppa for all our lives.” Jessica interjected.

yah, sica.” Taeyeon scratched her head. “is leeteuk some kind of a Buddha or a god that we need to worship? He’s a human being too like us who needs space for himself.”

Jessica pouted even more as taeyeon returned their fanclub journal back to her hands.

“I know that.” she said, looking at the pink laces around the journal which she made by hand herself. “its just, it’s a big chance, and now I’ll still be in stuck of my imagination of how oppa behaves at home.”

Taeyeon didn’t know whether to feel sorry to her actions or tolerate her idea of leaving the club at the first place.

“hey, have a life!” she laughed, poking her rib.

“okay.” Jessica cleared . “we may discard observing oppa at his house but you remain our treasurer. Because we need someone to take care of our funds.”

“please, unni.” Jessica pleaded, clasping her hand.

aigoo, I don’t like people pleading towards me.” taeyeon said. “I find it hard to resist.”

And Jessica fell to her knees and started bowing even more.

“yah, sica!” taeyeon pulled the fan club presiden’ts hand and ushered her to sit. “seriously?”

“I’m doing this for oppa.” Jessica said, embarrassed.

Taeyeon huffed and realized that she needed to make a decision quickly.

“okay, fine.” She agreed. “but promise me boundaries at home. you may be the club’s president but I’m still older than you.”

“I’m fine with that.” Jessica immediately smiled with her lips almost touching the corners of her ears.

“seriously, you really like leeteuk, huh?” taeyeon smiled too.

ne.” Jessica nodded. “but we all know how much he loves ga-in unni all his life, so I pretty much know where I stand.”

Taeyeon nodded too. Ga-in was really the perfect girl for leeteuk. Someone who’s older and more mature suits him perfectly well.

“how about you unni.” Jessica looked at her with her round sparkling eyes. “you hesitated observing him at home. and its more than just liking oppa for that kind of move.”

“I just want him to have some privacy.” Taeyeon muttered defensively. She took the fans club journal from Jessica and started fanning herself.

“why is it hot all of a sudden, is it summer already?” she continued, brushing her long hair out from sticking at the sides of her neck.

“you know, some girls do not even realize that they’re in love until they notice themselves sacrificing most of their possessions just to protect their loved ones.” Jessica smiled at her. “just tell me when you feel that for him, okay? I may cry at first because of jealousy but if oppa likes you back then I have no choice but to be happy for him.”

Taeyeon laughed.

yah, you sounded as if we’ll hit off together.” she mused, shaking her head. If leeteuk fell inlove with someone who’s almost close to perfect then it wouldn’t be ideal for him to level down to someone who couldn’t match ga-in’s charm.

“its possible, really.” Jessica crossed her legs. “because you guys live at the estate, and you have chances of talking to each other. You can actually help oppa heal.”

“you’d think I could do that?” taeyeon asked, softly.

Jessica held taeyeon’s hand.

“of course you can.” She said in support. “if only I live at the villa, I could have done that myself.”

“I’m sorry if I misunderstood you at first.” Taeyeon said. “I now see your motive as his fan club president. Just keep going and I’ll support you.”

“thanks unni.”

Jessica broke off from taeyeon’s hand and started kneeling at the floor to look for dvds.

“hey, why don’t we watch some chick flicks out here, I have lots.” She said when taeyeon decided to sit at the carpet too. “I have legally blonde, confessions of a shopaholic, Barbie movies, what do you like?”

“all pink??” taeyeon laughed. “that explains your apartment resembling Barbie’s. lets watch shopaholic, I’ve never watched that yet.”

---------------------------

CHO KYUHYUN’S CONDOMINIUM

RING!!

jagiya, someone’s ringing the bell from outside, can you look who it is?” kyuhyun called out from the kitchen.

ne.”

“its leeteuk oppa.” Seohyun looked from the monitor.

“let him in.” kyuhyun said.

Seohyun opened the door and bowed at the sight of leeteuk meeting her at the entrance. She was partly surprised that leeteuk was wearing an unusal off white outfit that opposed his natural likeness to dark attire.

annyeong.” She smiled, sheepishly.

“kyuhyun’s here?” leeteuk asked as he took off his loafers. Seohyun wiped her hands off her apron as she showed him the way.

ne, he’s in the kitchen.” She said.

Leeteuk nodded and followed seohyun to the kitchen area. It had been ages since he last visited kyuhyun’s condominium. Ever since kyuhyun’s parents paired him up with seohyun, leeteuk had been distant to his friend’s love matters.

“I brought meat, kyu told me he wants meat.” Leeteuk said as he placed the stuff on the table. He noticed kyuhyun’s blue apron laying near and the latter must have been cooking an early dinner.

“you really are spoiling him.” Seohyun noticed, looking at the plastic.

Leeteuk graced himself by sitting at the stool.

“how are you by the way?” he asked seohyun.

Seohyun looked around herself before turning her attention towards him.

oppa, are you talking to me?”

“am I talking to someone else?” leeteuk asked.

“it’s a first time I hear that from you.” Seohyun smiled, embarrassed. “I’m okay, kyuhyun and I are still doing your experimental trials.”

“you don’t need to hurry.” Leeteuk assured her. the mention of the experimental trials made him remembered that he was scheduled for an appointment with his cardiosurgeon next week about the results of his blood test.

Kyuhyun entered the kitchen and clapped his hands at the sight of meat.

“I love you.” He told leeteuk. “you’re the best. And…. Hmm.. boy, you look unusually white today.”

“I like it.” Leeteuk shrugged.

“it matches him well.” Seohyun added.

Leeteuk bowed and watched as kyuhyun resumed wearing his apron.

“I’m stewing vegetables, what else do you like?” kyuhyun asked. “my treat for bringing you meat.”

“as if you really wanted meat.” Leeteuk smirked.

bwo, I haven’t eaten proper meat in a while because seo’s dieting.” Kyuhyun said while stirring the soup. “ne, seo?”

ne.” seo nodded again in embarrassment.

 “don’t lie to me, kyu. I’m also here for someone else.” Leeteuk said, looking around. “you’ve been hiding him from me. I want to see him now.”

“what are you talking about?” kyuhyun smiled nervously.

Leeteuk smiled and faced his friend.

“you know how eunhyuk is easy to spot when he’s babbling. its okay. I just want to get this burden out of your shoulders.” He said.

“he’s not that a burden.” Kyuhyun defensed. “well, a bit, maybe. Or half. Because he eats most of our food.”

“see.” Leeteuk mused. He always knew when his bestfriend hides something from him. And the unusual clutter in the kitchen supported it.

leeteuk faced kyuhyun’s room at his back.

 “donghae- ah, , I know you’re here, you don’t have to hide from your cousin.” he emphasized. “you’re such a burden living to your dongsaeng’s home, get out there. Face me.”

hyung, I think he’s sleeping.” Kyuhyun whispered.

“let him wake.” Leeteuk said. “donghae, my fireplace is in need of wood for burning but I think I can use your rack of shoes for a spare.”

The door leading to kyuhyun’s room immediately opened and leeteuk’s cousin immediately emerged, panting.

“you don’t have to say that.” donghae pouted.

“oh, good, you’re really here.” Leeteuk turned his direction towards kyuhyun again. “pack your bags, I’m taking you to the estate.”

Leeteuk’s cousin groaned and stomped his feet all the way to the kitchen.

“ah, I think my fireplace is really ready for some converse, DC and Vans.” Leeteuk chuckled upon his cousin’s actions.

“give me a break.” Donghae spat.

“you know what I can do.” leeteuk teased back.

“but hyung, I don’t want to go there, you know how much the ahjussi wanted me to pursue business and politics.” donghae muttered, referring to mister park. Leeteuk’s father had been in custody of donghae eversince the latter’s single parent mother left him in search of greener pastures in japan.

“you tell him what you want to pursue instead of running away.” Leeteuk said.

“can you just tell him that I want dancing arts?” donghae pleaded. “you haven’t seen me in five years, I’ve been doing jobs for musical shows and its really cool.”

“ah yes, like pulling down the curtains when the production ends.” Leeteuk nodded. donghae pointed a finger at him and cursed.

“how did you know?”

“I was there when you dropped the curtains accidentally at the the scare crow on wizard of oz.” leeteuk stared at him innocently.

aish.”

“gosh, I missed this bromance relationship.” Kyuhyun gushed.

donghae sighed and mumbled words that leeteuk could understand.

“tell him that yourself.” Leeteuk said.

“but that ahjussi is such a bully, I’m just a nephew and he seemed very much in control of my life.” donghae groaned.

“because you have no other family beside us.” leeteuk interjected. “sit here and eat your dinner.”

Donghae pouted again, took a seat and stared at his cousin with goggling eyes.

“what?” leeteuk asked.

“I left your home five years ago. since when did you start being normal again?” donghae wondered.

-------------------------------

Taeyeon wandered around the streets and amused herself by indulging to street food. She missed eating every single piece that reminded her of her estranged apartment and the odd jobs she took when she was making money for her siblings.

ahjumma, can I have more topokki?” she pleaded.

Taeyeon smiled and clapped at the enormous plate of topokki reaching her hands.

“I’m always eating meat and potatoes, its good to eat street food for a while.” Taeyeon confessed to the seller. How she loved the spiciness of the food touching her palate and satisfying the hunger pangs she felt in the stomach from watching dvds with Jessica most of the afternoon.

Jessica hesitated to accompany her to the streets but she invited to dine with her via food delivery service.

“rich kids do not know how to eat good food.” Taeyeon complained, remembering jessica’s jaw dropping at the mention of the word “streets.”. 

“maybe you need to bring the food to them.” The ahjumma symphatized. “usually that’s the case.”

Taeyeon’s eyes sparkled from the idea.

“that’s a good idea!” she smiled, taking a bite. “ne, ahjumma, is this food high in carbohydrates?”

“its all rice, I think it is.” The seller nodded.

“hmmm…” taeyeon cupped her chin. “if this is white rice, how about brown rice, that’s more nutritious right? Maybe its more than just carbohydrates.”

“you’re talking really different, lady.” The ahjumma noticed.

“I have a friend.” Taeyeon continued, as she fed herself. “who doesn’t eat this kind of stuff but I think he’ll loved it. I’m just worrying if he’s allowed to eat many. He’s actually sick. He’s got this heart disease that was passed on by his mother. It’s a pity, really. But making topokki from brown rice, I think it’s a good idea right?if its all about fiber then he’ll just dump it out.”

“you could ask his doctor.” Said the ahjumma.

ne.” taeyeon agreed too. “I’m thinking of letting him try out different kinds of things. Can you imagine being stuck in a place whole day with nothing to do but to swallow pills?”

“ugh.” Taeyeon continued, feeding herself more.

“your friend, sounds really important.” The ahjumma butted in.

“life is important.” Taeyeon blurted through a spoonful. “I just don’t want him missing out on things he’ll regret in the future.”

-------------------------------

Leeteuk’s Room, PARK MANOR

bwo--- your room looks darker as usual.” donghae gasped at the surroundings.

Leeteuk gently kicked his cousin’s bags at the side and walked towards the room.

“you sleep here for the meantime while your room is being renovated.” He told donghae. “I think for a week.”

“that’s okay, I can manage that.”

Donghae went to leeteuk’s full length mirror situated at the foot of the bed and stared at his image like a proud businessman. He raised both of his hands, imitated a fish swarming at the sea and tried mimicking popular dance routines of kpop idols of the generation.

“so uncle knows that I’m already here?” he asked as he kept himself busy doing dance routines.

“pretty much.” Leeteuk said. “you know father’s agents, even if I hide you here they will still know.”

aish.” donghae sighed. “that old man is really crazy.”

“tell him that when he meets you later.” Leeteuk smiled, heading to his closet.

Donghae watched his cousin getting out of his view and he decided to head towards the bed area.

“I think I missed out a lot from here eversince I left this place.” He threw himself at his cousin’s bed as leeteuk checked out his clothes. “you tell me everything before you sleep, ne hyung? we could talk all day.and sleeping together is a good idea, we could cuddle while we talk stories of our own.”

Leeteuk touched his throat from almost choking at the statement.

“I think I’m changing my mind.” He said, rummaging through his coats.

“aww, hyung, I missed you so much. You tolerated this before.”

“get a girl.” Leeteuk said.

aigoo.” Donghae laughed. “as if you didn’t miss my hugs. You’ll get one tonight, ne?”

He crossed his arms towards his chest and imagined leeteuk sandwiched from his affection.

“ah, I missed my hyung.” Donghae smiled.

“shh, be quiet.” Leeteuk said.

yah, I think my account’s out of money.” donghae called out, changing the topic. “can you help me fill it in? you have your own business anyway.”

Leeteuk squinted on a piece of paper lying at the foot of the coats.

“nothing’s going to succeed without hardwork.” He said as he checked on the material.

aigoo, park jungsu hyung.” donghae mumbled. “your account’s flowing with cash, share your blessings.”

“can we eat at the diner later? I miss drinking milkshake even if you’re not allowed to have one.” donghae continued, playing with his feet.

“okay, fine, we go somewhere else if you think I’m mocking you.” donghae smirked when he was receiving no replies.

Leeteuk’s cousin could only hear his breathing emanating the room.

yah, teukie hyung? Are you dead?” he sat up from the bed and looked towards the walk in closet.”hyung?”

“park jungsu? Ghost? Marilyn Monroe?” donghae called in again.

Leeteuk emerged from the closet carrying a crumpled paper in his hand.

bwo—I thought you passed out again, you scared me.” donghae touched his heart. “where are you going?”

“I’ll see you later.” Leeteuk said, closing the door.

-----------------------------

STONE FOUNTAIN, PARK ESTATE

Taeyeon’s pov

Whew… I didn’t know that watching chick flicks could be so entertaining! I think Jessica and I really bonded through the movies even though its all about pink and girl stuff.

Plus talking about what we could do for leeteuk’s welfare. I told Jessica about me and leeteuk’s improving relationship and she seemed happy about it too because she could finally have the chance to talk to him. I am so excited to tell leeteuk about his fans club, I don’t know what his initial reaction would be but I’m guessing that he’ll accept it. the guy can be weird but who wouldn’t want a fans club?

And roaming around the streets after that, made me miss my old home less. At least I have sunny and ryeowook at the villa, we can make local dishes through mister park’s permission. All we need to do is to buy the right ingredients. I can’t help but to be excited of the thought of the three of us doing the groceries.

I took out a styro from my bag and smiled. I just bought my new friend leeteuk a non-fat dark chocolate cake that he would absolutely love. I knew he had a taste in sweets ever since he tried out my oreo cheesecake at the café without hesitation. Though his health could not tolerate it, at least he could still try the chocolate cake that I had difficulty searching.

“ah you’re here.” I blurted when I saw leeteuk heading out from the east wing of the manor.

Leeteuk took his seat beside me at the stone fountain and heaved out a sigh.

“what’s wrong?” I asked, bending my head to catch his view. I was hoping that he’d ask about the styro but his appearance didn’t look like he was interested at all.

There was something in his face that tells me that I have to be careful with him at the moment.

“hey.” He said, gently. “you owe me a very big explanation.”

“about what?” I asked, wrinkling my brows. “yah, I brought you a cake by the way, its non-fat and less in calories. I really had difficulty searching for this so you have to----“

“taeng, please.” Leeteuk closed his eyes.

“okay, sorry, what is it? I’m listening.” I put the styro away from us and faced his direction.

Leeteuk heaved out a deep breath and placed a crumpled paper to my palm.

“what’s this?” I asked, unfolding the paper. I saw my name and signature plus the floor plan of the Park Manor. “oh my gosh.”

“leeteuk I’m sorry.” I said, meeting his gaze but he looked away.

“that’s a family map, that only agents could own.” Leeteuk said, as I stare at the paper in disbelief.

I closed my eyes, crumpled the paper I was holding, and felt an intense heat seeping through my heart. My lids were twitching in reflex, as if pushing me to tell him what I know.

I opened my eyes and found leeteuk’s expressionless stare greeting me.

“you tell me.” he said as I stared at him in panic. “are you my father’s agent?”