CHAPTER 9

Heart and Soul

UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Taeyeon’s POV

Ever since Inyoung unni leaked most of the information about leeteuk’s past, I became more curious towards the guy. I have never felt so overwhelmed with so much curiosity in my life, like a drug that you would always want to plunge yourself into. And with that, I had always made sure to allot my time to know more about him with his sister’s help. Come to think of it, I don’t need to really snoop around him, I just have to ask his sister instead. Only of course, she’ll be curious too on why I was so keen to know about her brother and I can’t really tell her that I was her father’s secret agent.

So it’ll be like 50-50. Ask and snoop.

I was not only interested to leeteuk’s history, I was also interested to his hobbies and lifestyle. Especially how he would obtain good grades even if the only thing he does in the morning is to read and watch the news. I seldom see him reading our subject books but he does go to the General Information Area of the library to read more newspapers. And because of this, sungmin and I would spend most of our time spying on him there.

“oh, look, he’s opening a book.” Sungmin whispered. We were situated at least ten tables from him and he cannot see us directly because he’s busy listening to some songs on his mp3 and as if he would care looking around at people noticing him.

I glanced at leeteuk’s direction and came to agreed on my friend’s observation.

“I’ll be back.” I said.

There are tons of book stands that separate our table from leeteuk so it wouldn’t be easy for him to notice us there. Leeteuk had always liked to sit on a solo table to the farthest edge of the area, where he could enjoy the space only to himself. No one even bothered to sit next to him, as if they were afraid that they might disturb him.

“is that a dictionary?” I mouthed when I split up two atlas books in front of my face. What is he doing exactly with an English dictionary? Good thing he’s keeping himself busy with songs and the atmosphere around us is really not that quiet.  Yes it is a library, but because of girls who would spend time gossiping-while-studying, it has become quite noisy. And to think that the librarians would just tolerate the idea of students murmuring and whispering to each other.

“you’re spying on him aren’t you?”

Huh? I froze in my own tracks. I turned around and saw three girls staring at me, crossing their arms. Two tall girls with dark hair and a blonde little girl about my height in between. All seem wearing different uniforms. The two tall girls who wore matching black sweat suits were from dancing arts while the other one with a yellow blazer and blue scarf had a present course in fashion designing.

 I cleared my throat and tried to tone down my voice, just in case leeteuk would be sensitive to hear.

“no, you’re getting the wrong ide—“

“welcome to the fallen angel’s fans club!” said the tall girl who shook my hand vigorously with hers.

 I bent my head in confusion as I stared at them back with a hint of puzzled look in the eyes.

“what are you talking about? Fans club?” I asked, scratching my head.

 I didn’t quite believed at the idea at first but when I saw them wearing circular pins with leeteuk’s face embedded on it, then I guess a fan club does exist.

“impressive.” I blurted.

“we saw you’ve been here for a while in this section so we are concluding that you’re a fan too.” The blond girl muttered. There’s a sense of iciness in her attitude but I think it suited her appearance just right.

“a fan? No way.” I laughed, biting my lip. omo,  do I really look like a stalker?

“I really think you’re getting the wrong idea, you see we kind of, know each other in a way.” I explained. Leeteuk and I had this kind of relationship that even I cannot decipher. Most of the times we would fight verbally with small things but I always ended up having a soft spot on him and he too, would tolerate my airiness as if he completely understands me well.

“yes, you were the girl who saved his father.” Said the other tall girl with long hair. Huh? They actually know everything about me. I guess I wouldn’t have to bother telling them something about my profile.

“look at the people around here.” Said the blond girl.

“all girls, except sungmin and the librarian.” I shrugged, scanning the area. “what’s the point?”

“do you even think that people will go in this area just to read dictionaries and maps?”

I stared at the girls in disbelief.

“don’t tell me this is a fans club den?” I gasped, cupping my mouth. “oh, wait, did I just answer my own question?”

“you’re  funny.” The blonde girl smiled. “I’m Jessica Jung, president of leeteuk oppa’s fans club and this is my vice president Im Yoona and secretary Choi Sooyoung.”

Jessica extended her hand in which I didn’t hesitate to shook.

“we’ll be happy to have a treasurer in our fans club.” Sooyoung chimed in. “can you join us, taeyeon unni?”

“treasurer? Seriously, you need funds?” I gaped at them in awe, especially at the mention of sooyoung of my own name. “actually I’m not really a fan. I cannot even believe that the guy has fans.”

Jessica, yoona and sooyoung looked at me for a minute and I immediately realized what was taking place.

“okay, erase erase.” I said, raising my palm to stop them from making an impression out of me. “so he’s got a fan alright. But really, I’m not interested because I have other things to do. sorry, but thank you for the invitation.”

I was about to leave when yoona caught my arm in her own long hand.

“It seems that you want to know something about him.” She interjected, tightening her grip. “we’ll be happy to give you all the information you need.”

“really?” I said.

“anything about oppa that you want to know.” Sooyoung smirked.

That’ll actually be a good idea, if these girls can tell me what I want to know about leeteuk, then there will be less snooping around and more time making conclusions about his character.

“in exchange of that, you have to tell us what you know about oppa in the house.” Jessica said. “since we know that you live with him at the estate.”

“you girls are really scary.” I laughed at the thought. “okay fine, deal. Since both of this would be a benefit for us. I’d join your club.”

“yes!” sooyoung clapped her hands in triumph. “welcome to the club!”

“but seriously, fallen angel?” I mused, pursing my lips. He’s more like the less intoxicating version of Hell boy.

---------------------------------

UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Taeyeon’s POV

When I told sungmin about the fallen angel’s fans club, my cute friend quickly dismissed me with a funny expression that says.

“you’re the only one who doesn’t know.”

And since I am a transferred student, I defended myself by telling him that I am just a newbie in search of more information.

Sungmin and I transferred to another area at the second floor, the social science section, since we’ve been polluted with leeteuk’s fans from all courses at the ground floor and I really don’t want to contaminate myself with too much information. I’ve been having dreams of leeteuk catching me as a spy and it obviously didn’t have any good scenario in it. all of it ended by leeteuk sending me to jail, whipping me with a stick, and drowning my face to a pool of water.

We stayed, studying for four hours until I heard my friend’s stomach rumbling in the presence of a silent atmosphere enveloping us.

yah, taengoo.”

Sungmin looked at me with a tired expression in the eyes.

“can’t we eat? I’m starving.” He said.

aish, are you for real?” I asked, pinching his hand.

Although it seemed like forever browsing every different books and surfing the internet for current politics, it was not yet enough for me to settle down.

“just for a minute, okay? I can smell muffins nearby, yum.” Sungmin’s nose twitch in anticipation at the image of food flashing to his hungry mind. “let’s eat please!”

“okay, fine, stop that aegyo.” I said, covering my ears.

And we stood up.

The university library has its own coffee shop at the ground floor. Before, I wouldn’t really customize myself to this kind of lifestyle, drinking coffee while you study. But because of my allowance nowadays plus the salary from reporting leeteuk’s habits, I almost get everything what I want. Except that I’m still a bit stingy and would prefer picking out cheaper coffees than the expensive ones.

“black coffee please.” I told the server.

aigoo, aren’t you trying the other ones aside from that? I can easily make black coffee from a sachet.” Sungmin pouted.

“I like cheap things.” I mouthed, smiling at the server who obviously doesn’t know what’s going on.

Sungmin tapped my shoulder.

yah, taengoo.”

ne?”

“look who’s here.”

I glanced around the area and found leeteuk outside the coffee shop, sitting under the huge red umbrella which covered a part of his body from the prickly afternoon sun rays.

“we’ll go there.” I told sungmin.

Ever since that leeteuk found me hiding under his bed the other day, he tried every way just to let me tell the truth which of course I wouldn’t want to expose because he will know everything including his sister’s story about his past. His history though, settled me down for a bit from teasing him because I really pity the guy so much.

“what a coincidence, we were just having a break from studying too.” I smiled as sungmin and I took a seat just a table away from leeteuk. He on the other hand, acted as if he didn’t hear a single thing and resumed looking at a distance.

I cleared my throat.

“exams are nearby, does that mean that you’re studying here too?” I asked. I cannot help but to sound nosy at the idea of him studying.

Leeteuk sat up straight and looked at our direction for the first time.

“I beg your pardon?”

“you’re studying here too?” I asked again. gosh, I don’t know if this guy is slow or he’s just pretending that he didn’t hear me or he was not really in the mood to exchange in a proper conversation.

“what’s that thing?” he asked, changing the topic.

Aigoo

I looked down my food and noticed at my side that leeteuk was staring at it too.

“this is cheesecake.” I said. he really didn’t know this? Or poor thing he must have been prohibited to eat one.

“this is an oreo cheesecake, high in calories and fats.” I continued, taking a bite. “this is not good for the heart.”

Leeteuk stood up, went towards our table and touched my food with the fork I just used.

yah, I used that already.” I blinked.

“you got a problem with that?” he stared at me as he tried on the cake. I heard sungmin giggling in the background and I was just in time to kick his shin.

aish, mixed saliva, not a good thing.” I told him, raising a finger.

Leeteuk his lips and placed the fork down my plate.

“mmm… just like kissing you, what’s wrong with that.” he said and went back his table.

I really cannot believe this.

yah, isn’t this prohibited to you?” I asked, erasing my own thoughts.

“one bite isn’t.”

Leeteuk crossed his legs and took out his cigarette. Park jungsu, is this for real? the last time you inhaled a cigarette, you were immediately transferred to an emergency room and I was put at fault because of mentioning something that almost triggered you to a heart attack.

I looked at sungmin and pretended to choke down at the smell of cigarette reaching our nostrils.

“sungmin, I can’t breathe.” I acted, fanning the fumes away.

ne, its so polluted here all of a sudden.  Didn’t mr. Jung told us the importance of environmental awareness?” sungmin interjected.

Leeteuk laughed and smoked out more fumes to our direction.

“what? Hey.” I stood up from my seat and sat opposite to leeteuk.

“didn’t you say you can’t breathe?” leeteuk asked.

I was so furious. I didn’t know why I was hot blooded all of a sudden but I managed to steal his cigarette away from touching his lips.

“this.” I pointed to the cigarette stick. “is what kills you if you don’t stop smoking.”

“stop that.” leeteuk said when I started scrunching the cigarette pack with my own foot.

“no. isn’t it ironic? You’re blaming me when you almost got a heart attack and now you’re telling me to stop destroying your supplies as if continuing to smoke will not send you to the hospital again.”

Leeteuk sighed and leaned back on his chair.

“stop telling me things that you don’t even care about.” He said.

“of course I care!” I blurted. I almost shouted these words with sungmin staring blankly at me and leeteuk facing me with a shocked expression in the eyes.

“what, don’t you hear people telling this to you?” I asked, taking his lighter gently from his hand. “stop acting so pathetic and ruining your life. you don’t know how many people are hurt because of what you’re doing.”

This guy should be going to a rehabilitation center to stop his addiction. I threw the scrunched smoking device at the waste bin and immediately pulled sungmin by the arm.

“sungmin, let’s go.” I said.

I didn’t know if leeteuk talked back when my friend and I walked away but I do notice him staring at me until we disappeared.

-------------------------

BUSINESS AND POLITICS CLASSROOM

Taeyeon’s POV

Our professor in Current Issues of Korea(CIK) tasked us to do a one day project proposal in reference to the school anniversary to be held next month. Students were used to doing projects inside the school facility but I decided to propose one idea that could best suit our subject.

“why don’t we sleep one day in the slums so we could embrace the culture of the poor people?” I asked when I was called for a suggestion. I knew everyone was shocked upon hearing this but rich people aren’t supposed to be confined on a nice place at all. “it’ll be better if we immerse ourselves to this lifestyle for a day so we know how to strategize businesses and share this insights as a political perspective right?”

“isn’t it dangerous to live one day in the slums?” my classmate, eunhyuk butted in.

“it won’t be dangerous if we blend ourselves with them.” I said. “live like the poor, live on a daily budget. Like for example, only one thousand won a day.”

mwo?” eunhyuk scratched his head.

“I know it sounds weird but living there one day would incorporate all our subjects that we’re having in this room.” I continued, ignoring him. “and its only for a day professor Kang, all we have to do is to go in groups of two. Pay a family living in the slums to rent for the place, and live like them for a night.”

I tried looking at leeteuk’s direction but he seemed preoccupied with something else.

“what do you think mister choi?” professor Kang asked siwon.

“it’s a good idea.” Siwon smiled at me. for a moment I felt a little triumph creeping towards my system. “it’s a good overview to what reality is.”

“I don’t see any wrong with that proposal too.” Professor Kang, wrote my suggestion in the board for voting in oppose to doing a business project in the facility.

I mouthed my word of thanks to siwon as he sat back on his chair.

“I have a question to miss kim.” Leeteuk said when I was about to sat down too.

“yes, mister park, what is it?” professor Nam asked.

Everyone went silent and looked at him with an utmost curiosity.

“how does this girl make sure that the area is safe?” he said, avoiding my gaze. I knew it. I knew he would bring his personal issues regarding the slums.

“ we could rent a small area in the slums, install guards outside the area.” I said.

“there are still people who die even with the tightest security system.” Leeteuk said.

I know that this guy is afraid to be in a place full of people with knives. And I can’t blame him for that. but he shouldn’t be too personal. One out of many students is out of the question.

“I think we’ll  just have to vote to see what really matters.” Professor Kang decided as I took down my seat.

And For the first time, leeteuk’s stand was disregarded and my proposal won an immediate landslide victory.

“yes!” I mouthed, raising my fist.

“let’s pick out your partners.” Professor kang took out two pieces of papers and jotted down names. “you will see your partners later after an hour.”

-------------------------

PARK VILLA

Unni, its dangerous to bring leeteuk oppa to the slums.” Tiffany said.

Taeyeon packed all her needed materials to her backpack before turning her attention towards tiffany.

aigoo, there’s nothing to worry about.” She said, hauling her bag. “we will just check the area and then we’ll go back here like nothing happened.”

“but unni, we all know that oppa’s girlfriend was killed by burglars from the slums. Can’t you be more sensitive?” tiffany crossed her arms in worry. She knew everything about leeteuk from Siwon, and her boyfriend have always reminded her of leeteuk’s behavior towards the people.

“he’s with me, don’t think of something else.” Taeyeon shook her head. “and besides, his father has agents.”

Tiffany’s elder sister paced towards the door but faced her sister before going out.

“ready your phone in case something happens.” She blurted.

-------------------------

SLUMS

Taeyeon placed her backpack to her front and watched as leeteuk emerged outside the car.

ahjussi, we’ll be back in an hour, can you make sure to park the car somewhere distant? I’ll just call you when you’re in need. Kamsamnida.” Taeyeon told the driver.

Leeteuk looked around the area. Scattered cans and plastics were everywhere the walls, rotten fruit peelings and vegetables lay on a heap contaminated by flies. Everything appeared unpleasant and filthy.

“if you have dressed more properly, no one will notice you.” Taeyeon told him when she realized that he was still wearing nice clothes.

“I really don’t like this idea of yours.” Leeteuk said.

aigoo, how will you experience being normal if you’re not accustomed to this?” taeyeon gripped his wrist and moved forward.

Leeteuk and taeyeon toured around the area and searched for a place to rent for a day.

“I bet our classmates didn’t do this searching area.” Taeyeon smiled as leeteuk cautiously look to his sides. “you’re lucky were partners, you will really get a high grade because of me.”

Leeteuk ignored his partner’s remarks and focused on the road instead.

“you must be really mad at me.” taeyeon noticed. “hey we’ll be back soon, don’t worry.”

“I really don’t like this.” Leeteuk said when they both stopped.

“oh, here it is.” Taeyeon scanned her notebook for information. “ahjumma Kwon, the vegetable seller house. Wait here for a second.”

Taeyeon lose grip of leeteuk’s wrist and paced towards the shabby looking apartment with rusted roof and off-green painted walls.

“I’ll talk to the ahjumma from here and we will see if they allow us, okay?” taeyeon put her hands at her hips while taking time to scan the area. Next to the apartment were a mini vegetable garden and an abandoned garage area that resembled their own back at their old home in seoul.

“it sure brings back some memories.” Taeyeon smiled at herself. If leeteuk and she could experiment selling vegetables for a day, taking the ahjumma’s job by themselves, they would probably get a nice grade for immersing themselves to the poor people’s situation. Taeyeon turned around to see her partner’s reaction towards the area.

“what do you think lee---?”

Taeyeon’s mouth immediately shut down from the sight she saw.

-------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

“don’t move.” Leeteuk told me when a skinny looking man with tattered clothes, placed a blade on under his chin.

yah, what are you doing, let go of him!” I yelled. I tried coming closer to the guys, but the more that I near leeteuk, the more that the homeless man would stick his blade to his chin.

“just give him money.” Leeteuk ordered me and closed his eyes. it was my first time seeing him so afraid but remained calm by limiting his actions. This is really my fault.

“I--- “ I fumbled for my wallet but I found nothing.

“I forgot my wallet.” I stammered. “do you have something there?”

“I left it at the car.” Leeteuk said.

Aigoo..

yah, ahjussi, we’ll make a deal.” I said, trying to move closer. “how about you let go of that guy and I give you his watch? That’s more than what you want to have.”

Its really more than what he wants to have.

“d-deal. B-but you remove the watch from h-him.” The man ordered.

“fine.” I said, getting near leeteuk.

“leeteuk ssi.” I whispered, when I let go of your watch, you run, okay? I’ll just follow you.”

“are you out of your mind?” leeteuk hissed back.

yah, remove that knife from his chin, I already have the watch.” I told the man.

And just in time he easily untangled himself from leeteuk’s neck. But I clipped the watch back from leeteuk’s wrist. Did he really think I was giving away his prized possession?

“run!” I pushed leeteuk.

I always assume that I have wits over guys. But it seemed that I was late to respond to this man’s tactful response.

“taeyeon!” leeteuk shouted.

The environment suddenly felt humid upon noticing the stinging sensation of the man’s blade sticking to my forearm with bright blood sipping outside my lacerated skin.

I wasn’t really accustomed to the appearance of blood on my own.

“oh no.” leeteuk went towards me and stared at the rusty blade with a horrified expression.

And before I knew it, everything went black.

-------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

I opened my eyes and found myself lying on the back seat of the car, with leeteuk at the floor, checking my pulse.

“how come?” I asked, surprised at the sudden change of setting.

“father’s agents came. we’ll be there at the hospital in ten minutes, just hold on.” He said.

I looked at my forearm and was shocked to see the blade still intact.

“its still here?” I placed my fingers on the blade but leeteuk removed my hand from doing so.

“don’t touch it.” he reminded me.

“its just a cut, I don’t need to get hospitalized.” I said.

“don’t say such things. You rest, please.”

I was about to say something when I noticed that leeteuk’s reaction towards my condition was unexplainable. It was a first seeing him so troubled and worried. The sweats from his forehead were already dripping down to the sides of his face.

“if only I can pull that blade, I could prevent the rust from getting inside your skin.” He muttered, staring at the wound.

I looked at my savior and he stared at me back too.

“aww… leeteuk.” I whispered. Just when did my heart started to skip so badly? This guy had a major trauma with sharp objects, more especially at the appearance of laceration but he was still determined to get the blade out of my skin.

“its okay, you don’t have to take it out.” I said, holding his hand. leeteuk nodded and squeezed my fingers gently with his.

“Please head to the emergency room.” he told the driver.