CHAPTER 3

Heart and Soul

Hyoyeon’s POV

“come in.”

I tiptoed, biting my lip as I slipped inside my brother’s room to see him. He was there, in the chair next to a table, doing something with his laptop. Coming late at night to continue celebrating eunhyuk’s birthday, I was surprised that my brother really stayed awake just to see me. It looked like he was really upset about the one million won he just gave in.

The dark Victorian setting of his room gave bad vibes, sending goose pimples to my skin. I shouldn’t have decided to come here at the first place, or to even think of bumping myself onto him.

“sorry, me and eunhyuk went bar hopping.” I said, pushing a strand of hair behind my ears as I stand infront of my sitting brother. He on the other hand, looked like he was about to ignore me as he continue gazing at his laptop.

leeteuk then, started staring at me.

“where’s the one million?” he asked, placing the laptop to the table.

“one million?” I scratched my head. So, The one million incident thing really didn’t evaporate in his senses at all.

oppa, I don’t have one million, you must be kidding me.” I said smiling. He didn’t get the joke. He really didn’t.

“I wouldn’t get robbed if you just sealed your mouth at the first place.” He said, fixing his sleeping robe. “so as a punishment for my little sister, I guess its just right to get back the one million I lost.”

He looked at me and flashed a smile. It didn’t look pleasant at all. Even the dimples made it all look sinister.

oppa.” I said, nearing him. I stopped when I noticed that he had some trouble breathing. Must be because of how I smell from the club hopping--- mixed cigarettes, beer, any other scents.  “I only live by father’s allowance. You know that.”

“makes more sense for the punishment, then.”

“but I don’t have a cash with that amount.” I defended myself.

Leeteuk nodded and reached out for his cigarette.

“one month of your allowance, in replacement of the one million.” He said, lighting the cigar.

yah, no way, you can’t do this to me!” I could feel my voice rising.

“really?one million isn’t even enough when you go shopping, what’s the difference anyway.” He said, crossing his legs.

“but its more than one million.” I stammered. I tried making a face that he could even pity at least. but he just kept on doing the sardonic smile that irritates me.

 I watched as he flipped open his phone.

“yes, this is park jungsu, cash transfer please of park hyoyeyon’s monthly allowance to my account.” Leeteuk said while looking at me.

“you are so dead when I tell this to dad.” I said, pointing a finger at him.

“wow, I’m scared.” He laughed, closing his phone.

yah!” I reached out for his box of cigarettes and ripped open the container into pieces.

“go on, I have another set anyway.”

aish.” I really couldn’t beat my brother when it comes to negotiating.

“I’ll return, watch me.” I dared him as I stormed outside his room.

I could hear him laughing through closed doors.

---------------------------

KIM APARTMENT

“remind me not to talk to her.” tiffany told kangin as she and taeyeon entered their apartment.

“her? why, what happened?” kangin suddenly asked. He was up all night watching an old sitcom in their black and white tv when his sisters returned home.

 His eyes suddenly popped out from the huge strawberry shortcake that taeyeon brought.

“I’m not talking to you guys.” Tiffany entered the bedroom and closed the door shut.

aish, what’s the problem with her.” taeyeon shook her head as kangin neared her to open the cake container. Taeyeon quickly slapped his hand away. “yah, did you wash your hands?”

mwo, you’re talking to me as if I’m not older than you.” Kangin said, taking a piece of strawberry. “hey, what happened to her?”

Taeyeon smiled and took out a piece of paper from her bag.

“read this.” She said.

“one million won?” kangin couldn’t believe his eyes.

ne.”

“for real?” kangin read the words again. his eyes weren’t deceiving him this time. “wait, park jungsu? Who is this guy?”

Taeyeon’s memory of a pale guy with brownish auburn hair dropped into her mind.

“I robbed that guy.” She smiled, winking. Kangin gaped at her.

“that’s one heck of a guy that is easy to rob then.” He said.

Taeyeon laughed and smacked his head with her fist.

“silly.” She said, biting her lip. “I didn’t really rob him. Fany got a fight with his sister so as a punishment I made him pay for the damages. I asked for that amount.”

“that’s easy on him then?”

“well, because the guy plays a lot with cash.” I said, going to the refrigerator to preserve the cake.

I stopped and leaned my head at the cupboard as I pour myself some water. the scene where leeteuk handed out the check really made me smile.

yah, that creepy smile, don’t tell me you like that guy?” kangin headed towards me and started poking my nose. I darted off to avoid his touch.

“nah, not my type.” I said as I playfully splash some water from my drink.

-------------------------------

Seoul Hospital, eighteen years ago

8:07 am

Leeteuk’s POV

My father told me to sit outside doctor song’s room while he talks to him for some matters. It really bores me a lot to wait everytime I finish visiting the hospital for check ups. They would really take some time off just to discuss my progress which I found ironic because I don’t see any achievements regarding my condition. All I know is that it is a heart disease that is con and genetic. I got it from my mother who passed away easily some years after my young sister hyoyeon was born.

I zipped open my bag to get out my gameboy. It helps fighting off the boredom.

“is this seat taken?” just as when I was about to turn on my gadget, a girl inched towards me to catch a glimpse of my face.

“no one’s sitting here.” I said, ushering her to seat.

She looked beautiful tying her hair in a high pony. I thought I was in daze all of a sudden.

“han ga in.” she said, holding out her hand.

I reached for her hand to shake. “park jungsu… um leeteuk.” I smiled.

“that’s a cute nickname you have there.” Ga in smiled at me.

“my mother gave it to me.” I said, blushing a bit. Why, Thank you mother.

“your mom’s inside?” she asked me. I shook my head.

“she’s dead.” I said blankly.

“oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

“its okay, I’ve moved on.” I said, turning on my gameboy. Ga in looked at me, confused, and because I don’t want her to think that I’m not paying attention, I just placed the gadget inside my backpack.

“you’re visiting a doctor too?” I said, changing the topic.

Ga in nodded.

“I just went to my pedia but mom says that I stay here while she go see her doctor.” She said, pointing to another room three doors away.

“why are you here?” she turned to ask me.

“my doctor’s inside this room.” I tapped the brown door next to me.

“a cardiosurgeon?” ga in leaned her head. “why?”

“heart problem.” I said, flatly. “con.”

“oh.”

“don’t look at me like that.” I smiled at the way she cringe her eyebrows in pity.

“its just, its so sad, being that way.” She said, which surprised me. “well, I don’t mean too, its just, it must be hard going back for check ups.”

“you bet.” I said.

Ga in touched my hand.

“lets be friends from now on.” She said, patting my shoulder.

------------------------------

Taeyeon felt uneasy as the old lady looked at her in the eyes. The resume she did this time was more coherent and realistic. It would really be upsetting if she didn’t make it.

“does that look mean I’m accepted?” she asked as the old lady kept on looking at her resume and at her, back and forth.

“your resume says that you’re 24, aren’t you suppose to be in school yet?” the old lady questioned.

Taeyeon bit her lip.

“I’m a working student.” She lied. It was all bogus, she stopped going to school last semester because of tiffany who’s tuition fee demanded more attention than her college course she’s taking.

Maybe saying that she’s a working student would at least melt a person’s heart.

“it also says here that you do computer works?”

ne.” taeyeon agreed. “its easy really, I can even do photoshop.”

Yes, photoshop with her picture and a famous guy on a background.

“I’m really the best when it comes to those stuff.” Taeyeon emphasized, crossing her legs. “you should hire me.”

The old lady closed taeyeon’s folder.

“I’m sorry, but we only hire full time working people, not part time students like you.” She said, which surprised taeyeon.

“oh, sorry, it’s a mistake, I’m not really a student, I stopped because of financial crisis.” She said, trying to return the folder to the old lady. The latter hesitated.

“lying to your employer, is a number one enemy.” Said the old lady as taeyeon shook her head in embarrassment. “there might be other jobs waiting for you, but I’m sorry, I can’t accept you here.”

-----------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

I can’t believe that they didn’t hire me. I always knew that they’d hire working students. Well, to lie at least, I’m not. I already lost one semester because of my sister, who’s course is about fashion designing. I don’t even know why I allowed her to pursue that course. And kangin who’s taking engineering. Yeah, the amount of money is too much too.

If only I could tell kangin to stop school so I would atleast continue with mine. But I think that would be unfair since I’m more experienced and intelligent. I doubt kangin being employed at different odd jobs, his temper would be a nuisance.

I became a medical representative, a saleslady, a market vendor, a patisserie worker, a shoe store person, a pharmacist, a umm… a night club lady, what more should I go for?

I walked onto the streets to look for more signs of employers wishing to hire workers. I should take at least one job. The one million I had with me isn’t enough to pay for the family’s expenses. Not to include unpaid loans.

I walked into an empty and alley and was surprised to see two men ganging up on one middle aged man who’s attire didn’t match the other two’s leathery jackets. He looked like he was being robbed.

yah, what do you think you’re doing?” I asked them.

----------------------------

Seoul Pharmacy

“hey, don’t rely too much on beta blockers, too much does not do good too right?” cho kyuhyun placed two packs of betablockers on a plastic and handed towards leeteuk’s palm.

“its better than having a restless organ.” Leeteuk said, placing the medicine on his chest pocket. he had been relying to beta blockers ever since he had anxiety attacks.

He was in relief enough that his friend kyuhyun owns a pharmacy. at least he wouldn’t be in trouble when doctor song questions him on his medicine intakes.

oppa, medicine for your rhinitis.” Kyuhyun’s wife, seohyun handed one small amber bottle to his palm. Leeteuk nodded and handed her his payment.

“no you don’t have to pay on this, we were more glad that you agreed being under our experimental trial.” Kyuhyun returned leeteuk’s money.

“really?” leeteuk raised his eyebrow and stared at the amber bottle in amazement.

“perks of undergoing a trial.” Seohyun smiled at him.

“if you say so.”

Leeteuk took a seat on a stool opposite kyuhyun and seohyun, watching  as the two continue talking to each other.

“married life, did something good to you, huh?” leeteuk suddenly blurted at kyuhyun. The two have been childhood friends, together with Siwon and Eunhyuk.

ne.”

oppa, have you decided to get married too?” seohyun suddenly asked.

Leeteuk looked at her, surprised.

“did you see me with a girl recently?” he turned to ask her.

“well, I’m just thinking, since you’re in your twenties…” seohyun was cut off by kyuhyun.

“love, we don’t talk about relationships with leeteuk, okay?” he smiled at her. seohyun nodded and took a seat too, bowing her  head down.

“its okay, I’m good.” Leeteuk stood up and headed for the refrigerator.

“can I drink this?” he raised a can of soda for the two to see.

“just make sure that its not caffeinated or your beta blocker won’t work.” Kyuhyun reminded him.

Leeteuk nodded.

“seohyun, marriage is not my thing.” Leeteuk said as he drank on his soda. Seohyun looked guilty for propping such a question.

“really sorry, oppa.” She blushed.

“well, why not… maybe the right girl for me enters this pharmacy right away.” Leeteuk joked sarcastically.

A gentle hustle of wind invaded the atmosphere as a girl suddenly entered the shop.

mwo—“ leeteuk almost choked down on his drink.

“are you okay?” kyuhyun looked at him. “yes miss, what are you here for?”

“do you have a first aid kit?” taeyeon asked. She noticed a  pale and slim person staring at her and she was shocked to find leeteuk in the same area.

“what the---“ she didn’t know whether to run or hide. She promised herself to never see the person again or she wouldn’t really imagine herself with him right now in a pharmacy.

“first aid kit right here.” Kyuhyun placed the red bag on the counter and stared at the two.

“you know each other?” he asked, scratching his head.

Taeyeon bit her lip.

aish… how much is this anyway?” she went to focus  on kyuhyun instead.

“that’s thirty thousand won.” Seohyun smiled at him.

wae? That much?” taeyeon fumbled for her pockets and placed ten thousand won on the counter.

“I only have this.” She said, embarrassed.

“well, I’m afraid you can’t get the kit.” Kyuhyun said.

Leeteuk leaned closer to taeyeon until their faces almost touched.

yah, booya?” taeyeon asked, astounded.

“you’re lying, you have one million.” leeteuk stared at her as he wiped his lips with a tissue.

 “aww.. so you really know each other.” Kyuhyun looked at them.

Taeyeon sighed.

“but I really need it, someone needs that kit.” She said, rather uneasily. She would have pinched leeteuk for being so intruding but its not a part of her agenda right now.

“someone got hurt?” seohyun asked.

ne.” taeyeon hauled the kit to her arm. “can I just make installments, like pay later? I just need to get back to the----“

Kyuhyun retrieved the kit back.

“I’m really sorry miss, we have a policy here.” He pouted.

“aww..” taeyeon bit her lip.

“charge it to me instead.”

Leeteuk rolled his eyes and placed thirty thousand won on the counter. “just give her the kit.”

Kyuhyun gaped at his friend in awe.

“don’t stare at me like that.” leeteuk told kyuhyun. He looked at taeyeon, bending his head.

“what are you still doing here? Go.” He ushered.

Taeyeon bowed and quickly made her exit.

“something smells fishy around here.” Kyuhyun smiled as leeteuk returned to sit on his stool.

“don’t start that topic on me.”

“aww… she left some of her money here.” Seohyun gazed at the ten thousand won bills lying untouched.

Leeteuk looked in the same direction too.

“she’ll get it back.” He said.

----------------------------

Taeyeon’s POV

I didn’t know that the guy has a gentle heart. well at least. he knows what situational an emergency really is. I came to find the man I helped awhile ago, still at the area where I left him in the alley. He was hurt badly, or knocked down badly should I say. Good thing I was there before he collapsed. At least i had guts to scare off the two guys trying to rob him by telling them that there’s a policeman nearby. Wits. Only use wits.

I placed some hint of ammonia in a cotton to his nose so he could at least get back in his senses. I didn’t become a medical representative if I didn’t know proper first aid.

“what smell is that?” I heard him mumble. I laughed. So this is the first thing that a middle aged man would say after he receives his first aid kit.

He looked at me and was shocked to find himself lying on my lap.

“oh, I’m sorry.” He said, sitting up. The immediate response suddenly made him dizzy.

“well, you shouldn’t be moving so quick.” I told him, assisting him to lean on a rusty looking drum nearby.

The old man laughed as I threw the ammonia dipped cotton to the trash can beside him.

“I thought I would be really killed.” He smiled. I opened a pack of gauze pad so I can put it on to his injured forehead.

“I guess its not your time yet.” I joked, cutting the pad.

A tinge of red immediately appeared on the gauze pad as I placed it on his skin.

“I think you should go to the doctor too, for check up.”

“did they hurt you?” the man asked.

“me? Of course not, I’m a tough girl to deal with.” I told him. I was never called the wise and practical kim taeyeon for nothing.

“I’m so thankful, you saved my life.”

“I just don’t like seeing other people hurt.” I bit my lip. I always had a soft spot for people in pain. It has been a reflex of mine to do something. If the police station only allowed someone like me to work for them, maybe I would.

The man noticed my folder lying somewhere within our midst.

“you’re applying for job?” he asked.

“ah ne, but I wasn’t accepted.” I lowered my head and was embarrassed for opening up easily to this man. I guess its because he was asking too much questions and I really like talking to people.

“I really don’t know how to repay your kindness.” He blurted.

I looked on to his attire. Black and velvet. It appeared showy and glittery on the rays of the sun. I am not just talking to an ordinary man.

“I always accept cold cash.” I smiled at him. Another reflex of mine. I didn’t know how money could be so interesting to my life.

I finished tending on his wounds and I helped him stand up.

“I could help you get a job.” He said. “I just don’t want you to receive cash.”

But cash is better if I ask for a bigger amount. Aish, kim taeyeon, what are you thinking?

“really?” was the only thing I could say.

“yes, I think I could use this advantage since you are a girl and you’re young.” The man smiled.

“ah, no, no more night clubs.” I told him. The last time I was there for a job, it got me into a huge deal of fight because kangin found out what I was doing and he was pretty mad at it.

“not a night club.” The man laughed and shook his head. “I am hiring you as my agent.”

Agent? Like the secret spies of Russia?

“agent?” I asked, leaning my head.

“yes, agent for my son.” The man replied. “you see, I don’t see all activities of my son. He has found out about my other agents surveying him. And since you’re a girl, practically young, I guess it wouldn’t be bad if I ask you to follow him out. I just had difficulty watching over his lifestyle nowadays.”

“so you mean to be on the same school as him, to get to know him as friends?” I asked. What an easy job.

“how much?” I asked, thinking of the catch.

“free board and lodging, I could get you and your siblings to a good school, same as my son, and an allowance of two million per week.”

Two million a week??

“you shouldn’t be kidding me or else I would take that really seriously.” I said, imagining tiffany and I going into some department store to buy toiletries.

“I’m really not kidding.” The man laughed. “I will be contacting my place so they could accommodate you right away. Are you okay with my offer?”

He extended his hand on mine.

“that’s the best offer I’ve received.” I smiled, shaking his hand. “it’s a deal, um, sir----?“

Park Kyuwon.” He smiled at me. “I’m Park Kyuwon, owner of the Park Steel and Oil industries.”

---------------------------

Seoul Pharmacy

jagiya, teukie oppa was nice earlier wasn’t he?” seohyun asked. “Its my first time seeing him like that.”

ne, its because you only came to know him when I married you.” Kyuhyun winked.

He has been friends with leeteuk since childhood but he didn’t dare tell him about seohyun because he knew how leeteuk could be so sensitive with love and marriage matters.

“so he’s not that bad after all.” Seohyun concluded when kyuhyun placed a “close” sign on the door.

Kyuhyun nodded.

“when you get to know him better, you will know the real leeteuk.” He smiled at her.

“so he’s the fake leeteuk?” seohyun scratched her head.”I don’t get it.”

Kyuhyun laughed and placed an arm around his wife’s shoulder.

aigoo, i didn’t really notice how my wife could be so intruding.” Kyuhyun touched her cheek. “leeteuk is sick, and for that, you could imagine how his life was about.”

“lonely and empty.” Seohyun said.

“not really.” Kyuhyun massaged her shoulder. “um—how do I say this, there was a point where he acknowledged his sickness, he even complied with his medicine and treatments well but when something happened to him, everything turned upside down and things became in the opposite just like the recent.”

Seohyun was always afraid of leeteuk but she didn’t try to show it because leeteuk had been easy on her.

“I want to know the past leeteuk then.” Seohyun looked at kyuhyun.

“love, it’s a long story.” Kyuhyun laughed. “but if you really want to know the details, I’ll tell it before you sleep.”