CHAPTER 24

Heart and Soul

Taeyeon rested her head comfortably to the passenger seat and gazed outside the darkness, her eyes darting towards the row of cogon grasses blowing gently against the wind. It was probably an hour past since she and leeteuk left for the resort, an hour passed since she ranted about his father who was rooting for them to break up just because of leeteuk’s current situation in his family business. Taeyeon sighed and cupped her cheek with a hand resting to the side of the car door while listening to the classical music playing on leeteuk’s stereo. It seemed that the dark road before them was endless, and all she can think about as she drifted herself to silence was to cope with the hullabaloo she was in.

Leeteuk had been silent too as the car went down along the road, only spared by the sound of him when shifting gears. Its been a while since he drove that long, and it didn’t even tire his calves a single bit. he must have been listening intently to taeyeon complaining about his father that he didn’t mind extending his hands and stirring the wheel all throughout. To leeteuk, the commotion regarding his father was unacceptable too. he cannot believe that the old man would do such a thing. But for the sake of business, after all, anything can happen, and relationships are just some of the things that needed sacrifice. That even mister park’s favorite girl taeyeon would be asked to back off for the sake of the growing business empire. Rubbish was the words encircling in his mind upon hearing the words of breaking up. No one couldn’t do it. not even his father. for him, taeyeon is an important property that he got a chance to hold of, and he would do anything just to keep her.

After two hours of endless driving, music and a little chat along the way, leeteuk and taeyeon reached the resort successfully. It was leeteuk’s self-owned resort at the province. The appearance of the place was fantastic. Rows of bulb lights greeted them as they went out the car, the breeze reminded them of a typical salt smelling ambiance, the sound of water splashing nearby was ecstatic, and a row of men in Hawaiian shirts humbly asked for their belongings. Taeyeon was even given a coconut drink which was, according to her, helpful for soothing her nerves due to confronting mister park.

Leeteuk immediately went to the counter to ask for room keys and together with the baggage boys, escorted taeyeon towards her room.  The Hawaiian men were just so ecstatic to see their boss, probably waiting for him to be visible after a short while of disappearance. Leeteuk, since Han Ga-in’s death deprived himself on good  places such as a resort.

“here’s your key.” Leeteuk said, after taeyeon gave her baggage boy a tip. She raised the key infront of her eyes and pursed her lips.

“so where are you staying?” she asked him back.

Leeteuk casually pointed to the room just parallel to her own.

“its weird that you don’t want us to share a room.” taeyeon blurted.

“your privacy.” He smiled back. He wanted to give her a space, after all, the encounter with his father was one of the worst moments of her day.

leeteuk gripped on to his bag and opened the door behind him. The lavender scent of the room really just invited him to sleep.

“you just beep me when you need me okay?” he told taeyeon.

ne.” taeyeon yawned and opened her door too. “you call too when you can’t sleep.”

“I’d probably sleep well today, I drove for three hours.” Leeteuk rubbed his eye with a hand. taeyeon nodded and leaned towards his boyfriend for a kiss.

“goodnight babe.”

“love you.” Leeteuk pecked her cheek.

“see you tomorrow, better get up early so we can collect sea shells.” Taeyeon raised both of her fists, imitating a “go” sign.

Leeteuk smiled and watched his girl enter her room before heading towards his.

---------------------------

Leeteuk’s room, Park Resort

Leeteuk woke up upon hearing a pair of fists banging to his door step.

“seriously?” he yawned, upon seeing taeyeon in white ruffled dress and brown straw hat.

“I told you we’re going early.” She beamed. Leeteuk looked up at the rattan clock hanging above his bed.

Five thirty in the morning.

“taeng, I need sleep, my head hurts.” He said, going for the bed, but taeyeon quickly got a hold of his wrist and tugged him out of his room.

bwo—you get out in that pajamas or else. “ she kidded.

“but dear, three hours?”

“I want to pick up sea shells.” She pouted.

Leeteuk bit his lip. Taeyeon’s cuteness and aegyo, how could she do such magic that even a powerful young man like him cannot resist?

“okay, fine, I want to see the sunrise with you so I woke you up.” She said. “and I couldn’t sleep well because I’m thinking that you might had a hard time sleeping.”

“I slept well.” Leeteuk assured her. “it must be because of the sea that I didn’t have a hard time breathing.”

“well, its good then, that means you’re ready to go out.” Taeyeon tugged him again. leeteuk pulled her inside the room and pinched her nose.

“stay here, I’ll get dressed.” He said, motioning towards his suitcase.

---------------------------

Jessica Jung’s apartment

Heechul cannot believe that he personally agreed upon taeyeon’s request to deliver her pink notebook to someone he didn’t even know how to show his face. how could taeyeon do it? he didn’t really know. It must be because of his growing fondness to her and his care for leeteuk that he immediately agreed on her request. And probably because he was also curious to visit the person he’d been dying to get to know more since he caught sight of her beauty.

Heechul found himself staring blankly at the pink door embellished with a cute mistletoe that must have been a left over last Christmas. What to do? what to do? he thought aloud, raising a fist to knock but also felt a huge desire to drop the course. Should he just place the notebook on the door step and ring the doorbell instead? The person might find it rude though. He couldn’t really believe that it was his first time feeling so disturbed at bringing just a material to a girl. He’d been in past relationships with foreigners, how come a simple Korean girl could do this to him?

At last, heechul had built himself some courage and rang the doorbell that produced a somewhat annoying tune to his ears. He stepped back, fearing that he might be too intruding, and waited for a couple of seconds as a pair of feet immediately opened the door.

“you?” Jessica was shocked to see heechul at her front door, holding a pink notebook that reminded her of who was the culprit.

“t-taeyeon.” Heechul gulped. “told me to give you this.”

With trembling hands, and irritated at himself for such reflex actions, heechul handed Jessica the notebook.

“where’s unni?” she asked in a tone of iciness that reminded heechul of his own self.

“she went to a vacation.” He said, looking behind Jessica. The pink room was just amazing, and the color of the notebook that taeyeon owned just matched with it.

“vacation?” Jessica questioned. Then she realized that taeyeon might have been in a vacation with leeteuk so she didn’t dare to ask for more. It was already an automatic reflex for her to respect leeteuk’s schedule.

“well, I’ll be going.” Heechul broke off her thoughts. “I don’t want to disturb you or something. And I still have classes in an hour.”

He bowed, which was unexpected of him, and situated himself for the exit.

Jessica bit her lip.
“wait.” She said, motioning heechul to stop.

“do you like some tea before you go?” she asked.

----------------------

Business and Politics classroom

Sungmin stared blankly at the board when his ultra pink phone rang loudly enough for him to situate himself outside the class, partly embarrassed for not turning the gadget into a silent mode and for using a ringtone that he didn’t expect to hear.

“you changed my ringtone?” he asked a giggling sunny as he closed the classroom door behind him. He cannot believe it. she had actually made a time to change his ring tone to singing bunnies when he was out with her last week.

mianhe, oppa.” Sunny said through the speaker. “I called to tell you that taeyeon unni and leeteuk oppa cannot make it to the class for a week.”

“for a week?” sungmin’s voice almost echoed through the wall. Embarrassed, he shielded his face from the passersby and focused talking to sunny. “where are they anyways?.”

“they didn’t tell, taeyeon unni just said she needed vacation.” Sunny explained. She came to ask herself too how come taeyeon would feel that way when she cared so much going to classes.

“well, that’s weird.” Sungmin said. “knowing that taengoo is a grade freak.”

“she might be needing rest from calling heart centers.” Sunny said. “you know, issue with oppa’s survival.”
taeyeon always had the attitude of keeping her sentiments with her that it was impossible for sunny and ryeowook to know what’s going on to her mind. Even tiffany, her sister, didn’t know what taeyeon feels towards the heart centers that called up in return, telling that no organ was available for compatibility.

“anyways.” Sunny said. “she did tell me that you have to come by the villa at weekend to let her copy all the notes.”

Sungmin nodded and looked at his watch.

ne, I’ll compile all my notes.” He said.

“thank you oppa, such a great friend.” Sungmin heard sunny making an aegyeo.

“in exchange for that you go with me to the amusement park though.” He said, imitating her aegyeo too. sunny chuckled on the receiver, acknowledging his wish.

“make that at weekend.” She said.

--------------------------

Beach area, Park resort

Taeyeon was amazed to see herself with leeteuk spending time worrying about nothing as they took a stroll to the beach. It was really a good idea of her to think of the resort as some place that she needed to blurt her thoughts aloud, as seeing a nice scenery would just really calm her and can make her think of ways how to cope with the current situation she was in. the white sand beach, the blue green sea and the palm trees that gently swayed as the wind glided was too surreal for her, and all she could think of was to savior every moment she had with leeteuk.

Taeyeon’s thoughts about leeteuk’s condition really made her worry. Up to this point, there were still no heart centers capable of selling heart organs that could match his negative blood type. Although she cannot visibly see what leeteuk was feeling, because he looked really fine and well today(the sea must have been really good in making his respiration normal), she was still in worry that any point in time, leeteuk’s heart would just stop beating.

And she really didn’t know what to do if that time comes because imagining him separating from her would be painful.

Leeteuk splashed a hefty amount of water to taeyeon’s face.

“hey, what are you thinking?” he asked. Leeteuk had been observing taeyeon when she took a rest by sitting at the shore, as he would look for a starfish of her choice. A silent taeyeon really seemed to bother him, as he was always used with taeyeon ranting and talking.

Taeyeon wiped the water off her face and decided to evaporate her ongoing thoughts. How could she? She was enjoying the moment with leeteuk, she must nor ruin the vacation.

“I was just wondering.” She said. “how come you bought a resort?”

“resort?” leeteuk seemed to be thinking too. “um..I bought it as a supposed-to-be present.”

He absentmindedly ran his hand to the water that leveled his abdomen and squinted to the presence of sea creatures below.

“present to?” taeyeon asked.

“to ga-in.”

“ah.” Taeyeon only said, and continued to brush some sand to her feet.

Leeteuk noticed taeyeon was more silent upon mentioning his past love.

“she loved the sea.” He said gently. “so I bought this place for her years ago.”

“are you okay?” he asked.

“I will be lying if I told you that I’m not jealous.” She smiled weakly. The thought of leeteuk purchasing a part of the sea just for ga-in really made her heart wince. “but its okay, maybe I’m just too emotional right now, you know, my issue with your father really just bothered me.”

She had already told herself not to get too emotional with the vacation they’re just having. And now she was ruining the moment again.

Leeteuk motioned towards her at the shore and sat up with her.

“do you think that I love her more than you?” he asked her.

“well, its obvious right?” she replied back.

“how could you think that way?” leeteuk said gently.

Taeyeon sat up straight and pushed her slightly wet hair behind her ears.

“first of all, you only knew me for months.” She reasoned. “and ga-in unni, you knew her for years. You were good friends before you pursued a relationship with her. and it really made an impact on you when she was taken away.”

“and us, we haven’t reached two months, teuk. You cannot tell me that you love me more than her.” she continued, looking at the sea.

“taeng.” Leeteuk reached out for her hand. he tried to make an eye contact with her but taeyeon was focusing herself to the horizon. It had been four hours since they went out to the sea to stroll, and it was new to him to see taeyeon so emotional and silent.

“just let it out.” Leeteuk said. “what you’re feeling right now.”

“I envy her that she had the longest time with you. I’m scared of what will happen to us in the future.” Taeyeon blurted. “with your surgery, and the zero possibilities of heart donors, and your father trying to break us apart. I’m sorry if I’m telling you all of this right now. I don’t want you to feel burdened with everything, I want to tell you that I’m fine even when I’m really not. But I’m also human, and I cant just take everything with a good flow.”

Leeteuk sighed and patted her shoulder when tears started to stream down her cheeks.

“I’m just scared to dwell in the possibilities of losing you.” She said. there, she said it. and she knew right now that leeteuk must be really thinking of himself as a burden. But she didn’t want him to feel that way, accepting him was her choice, and she must always be dwelling with possibilities to cope up.

“i’m supposed to be the one apologizing to you.” leeteuk sighed. if only he was not sick, he wouldn’t have let taeyeon be in a situation that is too hard for her to handle.

“please, don’t think that way.” Taeyon looked at him.

“I just don’t want seeing you cry.” He said.

“crying is a therapy.” She smiled, wiping her tears. “I’d be fine later, I’m telling you. Maybe I’m just so vulnerable today. Later I’d be paying you back. I’m sorry.”

Later, she promised herself, she would be paying more attention to her boyfriend, and not towards herself. Taeyeon stood up and brushed the sand off her legs.

“I’m going to my room.” she said, pressing her need for time alone. “I’m sorry, I just need to think out, I guess.”

“I understand.” Leeteuk said. taeyeon patted him at the back and headed towards her suite.

---------------------------

Cho condominium

Seohyun didn’t know what to do.

She had been sitting up for about a time now, waiting for her husband cho kyuhyun to finish cooking their lunch. The smell of beef seeping up her nostrils was just fantastic, and she knew how much kyuhyun would always want to eat meat. Seohyun stared at the clock hanging at their living room and waited more until kyuhyun finishes preparing their food.

She just had an appointment with her doctor today. The doctor was just as excited as she was, telling her of the results of her blood test. The blood test was a confirmatory test, enough for her to know what’s going on, enough for her to wait patiently for her husband until he has the time to talk to her.

Cho kyuhyun on the other hand didn’t know that his wife was just sitting at their living room, waiting for him. Weirdly enough, he closed the pharmacy earlier today, for seohyun had been bugging her to do it, because partly, she was not feeling well. Although, a tension of worry had been piling up on his system, kyuhyun managed to calm himself by preparing their lunch. He knew that she went for the doctor today, but he didn’t know exactly why. Is she sick? She shouldn’t be. Kyuhyun does not want to be paranoid, he had been paranoid with leeteuk’s condition, and he had always checked upon him. Luckily enough, leeteuk got himself a girlfriend that kyuhyun had devoted more time to his wife.

jagiya, lunch is ready.” Kyuhyun approached seohyun in the living room and extended his hand to pull her up. Seohyun, on the other hand, remain seated and only looked at him with her big goggling eyes.

“what’s the matter, are you alright?”

“please take a seat first.” Seohyun said. kyuhyun’s heart raced as he took a space beside his wife.

“is this the result of your blood test?” he asked.

Seohyun nodded and went to fumble for a piece of paper inside her bag.

“I’ve been wondering for more than a month now, you know.” She said, as her hand traveled all the way to the piles of documents inside her bag. “jagiya…”

aigoo, Cho joohyun I don’t like feeling nervous.” Kyuhyun confessed. Seohyun laughed at his notion and held his hand with hers.

“I’m okay.” She assured him. “read this.”

Kyuhyun retrieved the paper from her hand, and within a couple of seconds, tried to divulge himself to details. Weirdly at this point of time, his nerve cells didn’t appear like it wanted to function normally.

“is this what I think it is?” he looked at seohyun.

“what do you think?” she asked.

“I’m going to be a father?” kyuhyun wanted to have this statement confirmed and seohyun immediately nodded and seemed like she just granted his wish.

appa kyu, I’d like to call you that from now on.” She said.

“yes!!”

Kyuhyun raised both fists in the air and embraced seohyun with his arms.

“can I tell my friends, can i?” he smiled, so wide, it could almost reach his ears.

“well, you have to tell your parents first.”

aigoo, this is the best day ever.” Kyuhyun said, taking out his phone. “I promise you, I’d work harder from now on. I may even extend working hours at the pharmacy so we could sustain the baby’s needs. Aigoo, what will the baby’s name? will he/she be like you or me? aigoo.”

Seohyun didn’t know if its just her hormones that do the work or she was just so emotional and happy upon seeing his husband totally in game of the pregnancy.

jagiya.”

“yes, eomma seo?” kyuhyun said, upon texting. There, he had sent the baby news to everyone he knew, starting from his and seohyun’s family. seohyun smiled upon his calling and cutely pointed her head towards the kitchen.

“mommy’s hungry.” She smiled. “needs to eat.”

--------------------------

Arcade store, Seoul

“seohyun’s pregnant.” Hyoyeon looked at eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk wrinkled his brows and peered next to his girlfriend’s phone. a message from kyuhyun.

“did I get one too?” he started to ask himself, and true enough, the would be father sent him a message too. “aigoo, this is a surprise.”

“well, they’been married for over a year now.” Hyoyeon explained. She smiled and crossed her arms at the thought of kyuhyun jumping for the news and seohyun innocently acknowledging the notion.

“we have the same age as them.” Eunhyuk said. “do you like to get married too?”

aish, you talk as if marriage is simple!” hyoyeon slapped his shoulder.

“but teukie hyung, he said he wanted to marry taeyeon .” eunhyuk cupped his mouth immediately for spilling such news.

But hyoyeon didn’t appear to be taken aback at all.

oppa loves taeyeon unni.” She said. “I will accept if that happens.”

“and don’t think that I’ll marry you sooner!” she laughed, pinching his puffed cheeks. Eunhyuk hid his eyes by placing a cap over.

aigoo, this is what I don’t like for having a girlfriend tougher than me.” he said.

--------------------------

Beach area, Park Resort

The sea didn’t appear cold that night when leeteuk swam to the darkness with only the moonlight shining above him. The sea was warm, almost embracing every inch of his body, adhering to his clothes. It didn’t appear cold at all and only salty must have been the right word to describe such. Leeteuk situated himself behind the large irregular rocks that shielded the resort’s view from him, and brushing his hair away from his eyes, stared at the illuminating light passing through the waters. How could he discover a place such late? If only he knew that staying at such place would be convenient, he would be wasting hours driving just to get a sight of it.

Leeteuk had missed seeing taeyeon the whole afternoon, since the latter was busy resting herself from the issues regarding him and his family. This must be the reason why he felt swimming, for thinking about it too would be paining him, and he wouldn’t want to be a burden to taeyeon. She, checking up on his medicines, dialing up heart centers, and watching his every step was already too much, she might have felt fatigued, and all he can do was just to let her free her mind off him for a while.

Maybe a vacation right now is really the perfect timing to settle things straight. When taeyeon could discuss matters with him, maybe he should tell her about his plans regarding the after effects of the surgery, the thought of passing his surname to her by marrying her. if the surgery goes well and the plan of marrying taeyeon pursues, the better. But if only the marriage goes well and not the other one, maybe that will be one of the things he will be worrying. Even if he gave a part of him to taeyeon, the thought of leaving her will haunt him forever.

Leeteuk’s thoughts were interrupted upon seeing a peripheral view of taeyeon at a distance looking out for him, and with a hand raised, he called for her too. he might not be discussing some issues with taeyeon right now, but at least the thought of asking her of her condition would be of benefit. He watched her swam towards him and greeted her with a smile when taeyeon appeared right in front of him, brushing her hair out of her face. she just really glowed, and her creamy white skin under the light of the moon illuminated her all through out.

“I knocked on your room, you weren’t there.” She said. “have you been swimming all the time?”

“an hour maybe.” Leeteuk said. he spent most of the day walking and discussing some matters with the manager at the resort, telling him about the possibilities of opening up the place to tourists.

“don’t do that, you’ll tire yourself.” Taeyeon said.

Leeteuk chuckled.

“I’ve been fine since I woke up.” He assured her. three hours of sleep. What was he thinking?

“how about some medicines?” taeyeon stared at his eyes. “have you taken them?”

“yes.” Leeteuk said. “I’m fine, I told you, the sea does good for my breathing.”

Taeyeon bit her lip as leeteuk leaned himself on the piles of rock that shielded them from the view of the resort.

“I’m sorry for locking myself the whole afternoon.” She said gently. “I’ve been thinking lately, maybe I was just really caught with the moment.”

“of?”

“I just realized that I just have to enjoy this vacation and not to think of something else.” She said. “after all, this is the reason why we went here.”

Leeteuk stared at her with an “I told you” expression and crossed his arms as taeyeon genuinely made a smile.

“can I ask you a question?” she suddenly asked.

“what?”

“how much.” Taeyeon continued. “do you love me?”

“more than I can tell you.” He said.

“okay.” Taeyeon leaned closer.

“how much do you love me?” leeteuk turned to ask her too as her eyes, nose and lips leveled with his. Her aura was really a sight to behold, and she looked like an ethereal beauty, a princess from the sea with beads of water forming on her skin. Taeyeon pressed her nose to his and with a whisper, told leeteuk about her certainty.

“its more than I can tell you too.” she said.

And he kissed her.

Leeteuk cupped taeyeon’s face with his hand and shoved his lips towards her, slowly, in a manner of relinquishing every energy he has at the moment. He just really missed her, and she must have been feeling the same way too, because she had entertained his gesture, running a hand at his back and pressing his body towards hers as the waters silently cripple around their chest.

One, two, three… five minutes had passed and they just cannot dare to let go of each other. If eternity has bound them, it may do so, for leaving one another would bring despair. Leeteuk buried his lips to taeyeon more as her hands traveled all the way from his chest to his abdomen, ing his white long sleeved polo, revealing a toned man that lay beneath. Leeteuk ran a hand on taeyeon’s , and with both skins exposed, pressed her more to him. The skin colliding with each other was just perfect, and the warm water brought about by the sea just enhanced everything. Leeteuk cradled taeyeon in his arms, and with a whisper to her lips, told her that everything will be alright.

-------------------------

Leeteuk’s room, Park Resort

Taeyeon opened her eyes the next morning, feeling a drain of energy had just made it out away from her system. she placed a palm on her head, felt warm heat coming out from it and made a slight jerk as rays of the sun creep themselves at leeteuk’s room. taeyeon scanned the ceiling above, and the whole room afterwards. Leeteuk’s stuff was just around the corner, his suitcase lay near the full length mirror and his medicines atop the bed side table. taeyeon turned her head to the right and saw drips of water trailing from the door step all the way to the carpet before the bed. Leeteuk’s polo and her swimsuit lay on pile near the bathroom, and other stuffs just scattered themselves around the place. She turned her head to the left and found no traces of him beside her.

Leeteuk?

Taeyeon squinted her eyes only to see leeteuk outside the room separated by the glass door, reading a newspaper. There was a pitcher of orange juice on his table, and next to it was a plate of breakfast meal that she’d desire to eat. Her stomach made a reflex pang, only if she’s feeling more energetic, then she would easily dart off to get her food.

Leeteuk, even when separated from taeyeon by a glass door, noticed his girlfriend staring at him and with a graceful move, closed his newspaper to approach her. taeyeon pouted at the notion of leeteuk waking up earlier than her, the guy had always seen her sleeping.

“goodmorning.”he said, kissing her at the forehead. Leeteuk smiled to a still sleepy taeyeon and sat next to her. she could smell a bath soap that already landed on his body, and it appeared that leeteuk was really up early to bathe and prepare her breakfast.

Taeyeon rubbed her eyes and made a slight yawn.

“how are you feeling?” leeteuk asked her.

“like I wrestled.” Taeyeon chuckled. It was not a joke, for she could really feel her upper and lower limbs, sore from the activities they did last night. Her arms felt like they pushed a wall and her legs just felt as if she ran for a mile. Only her heart didn’t feel exhausted, it felt relaxed, just like the ocean waves passing and leaving the shore.

Leeteuk smiled again and reached out for a pill next to her at the table.

“pain reliever.” He told her, handing her the white and blue pill. “you drink this. But you need to eat breakfast first.”

He nudged his head towards the glass door and pulled the blanket up to her exposed back.

“okay.” Taeyeon liked the idea and stretched herself slightly before sitting up. “teuk.”

“yes baby?”

Taeyeon craned her sore neck and pointed towards the door.

“can you do me a favor?” she sat up. “can you bring my suitcase? Or just pick me some clothes.”

She laughed at herself for feeling energy drained, and could not really believe herself that such possibility can occur. leeteuk too cannot control himself from chuckling at her state.

“anything else?” he asked, cupping his mouth to hide his giggle.

yah, what are you laughing at!”

“I’m sorry, did I tire you that much?”

yah, hurry up, I need to eat.” Taeyeon laughed and pushed him out.

She watched as leeteuk obliged with her favor and motioned towards her room.

Taeyeon rubbed her sore neck and quickly made a realization over all things that took place.

That what just happened was above his limits, showing that leeteuk really loves her more than anyone else.