CHAPTER 8

Heart and Soul

LEETEUK’S ROOM, PARK MANOR

Taeyeon’s POV

Since part of my job is to intricately observe leeteuk, his behavior and his actions, I decided to visit his room once more to check onto his past.

It was a week ago when leeteuk came home from the hospital due to his collapsing incident and it was the same week ago that I retrieved my bracelet back, still unsure on how he found out that it was mine. I was hoping that he wouldn’t find out the holding hands part, but my undeniable stupidity and garrulous tongue of answering him caught me off guard. The moral lesson of the story: kim taeyeon, think before you speak. Especially to Park Jungsu, the superior witted human being.

When leeteuk was back to the university, things were back to normal as it is, although it really didn’t change since the school must have gotten used to his habit of passing out. The physically weak leeteuk was really the subject of pity to every students and faculty alike, but they don’t show it much since they know this man doesn’t let himself get weakened on others.

Truth to be told, leeteuk was still undeniably one of the best students in class, with sungmin and I really determined to beat him down. We were so obsessed spending hours in the library just to be equipped with knowledge in business and politics, alas leeteuk would still beat us down with his knowledge in recitation and quizzes. And I hate it. I don’t even know if he studies, I just know that he reads newspapers a lot, which means a deafening silence between him and me everytime we go to school.

“why do you always get the highest grades?” this was one question that I asked of him at the car on the way home when I found out that he beat me by one point in social science.

“maybe because you aren’t just that intelligent enough.” He chuckled, playing with his hair.

mwo, I lack sleep because of studying, you have no permission to tell me that.” I said airily. I could have pinched him really, but ever since the touching incident which gave me unexplainable warmth, I didn’t bother.

“then sleep for eight hours.” He said.

And I stopped talking to him that day.

 

I think I was the only one who didn’t know something about his past. Everyone knows, and sungmin wouldn’t mention a thing to me every time I poke him at class which sends me to sleepless nights thinking about it. I don’t even know why I pay too much attention on this thing. Its either I am determined to do my job well or leeteuk is an interesting jigsaw puzzle that I need to decipher.

So here I am inside his walk-in closet taking my time to look at his secret drawer which sunny found by accident. Pictures of him and the girl are everywhere, and evidences such as very old pictures must have suggested that they were childhood friends. I was careful to sort out the pictures, because I know he will find out if there are slight arrangements.

“there must be letters around here.” I thought aloud as I swarm my hands through the pile of papers at the left side of the drawer. If only I can take this pile of papers at the villa and spend my whole time reading about it.

Then I saw a mini sized homemade scrap book at the bottom of the pile.

“a gift to teukie from Ga-in, happy birthday.” It read. I opened the book to the next pages and found more pictures of leeteuk and the girl at the succeeding. So the name of the girl is Ga-in. and she must have really spent time making the gift. There are so much information on this scrap book, such as the girl’s basic information, the places where she and leeteuk went, and the dates. I wonder if I can take this to the villa, would leeteuk ever find about it? and I wonder if where is this girl right now that caused him a major pain. The scrapbook entails the period of their friendship from the nineties until 2006.

I opened my cellphone and took pictures of ga-in’s basic information, just in case I would have trouble taking the scrapbook to the villa.

“I’ll learn more about you.” I spoke to gai-in’s picture at the opening page. 

Click! Click!

Hah, technologies nowadays are really useful.

I put the cellphone at my pocket and suddenly heard a closed door from outside this area.

“what the---.”

I quickly placed the scrapbook back to the drawer and frantically looked around the room.

oh no, where to hide. Ah.. the clothes!

I know that hiding myself behind a row of hanged clothes is not a good idea but I am thankful that leeteuk’s coats are long enough to even hide my feet. The footsteps appeared louder as I squeezed myself more at the back.

“I’ll call you later.” Leeteuk? I thought he had French lessons today, what is he doing in this hour?

I looked at my watch and found out that the time stopped ticking at eight and I quickly reached for my cellphone to check the real time.

Past ten in the morning. So that explains why he’s here.

“yes, I can’t find my blue blazer can you ask the nanny if it has been ironed already? I finished bathing and it’s still not in this room yet.” leeteuk said through the intercom. I slightly parted the two black coats and nearly jumped at the sight of leeteuk wearing only a white bathrobe.

Aigoo..

Then leeteuk noticed his drawer slightly opened.I cupped my mouth when he took time glancing at his secret drawer. Oh no, please don’t look at it.

Ring! Ring!

Ah, intercom, bless you!

“yes, the blue blazer, I need to have it in my room now.” Leeteuk spoke through the receiver as he began entangling his robe.

“no!” I mouthed covering my sight. I wouldn’t want to see this guy as the first undressed person contaminating my pure and innocent eyes!

I heard the bathrobe slamming gently to the carpeted floor. Should I look? what am I thinking? Maybe I should squint, just once, with my one eye, just to be cautious. Aish, why is the environment intensely warm all of a sudden, did leeteuk raise the heater?

I squinted, using one eye, to check on leeteuk. Ah, in loose boxers then, good thing. I must have been completely nuts thinking of something else.

Leeteuk turned his back on my direction as he check upon himself at the full length mirror. I didn’t notice that he had broad shoulders, wide enough to accentuate his thin waist. And I didn’t know that he has biceps, he always appeared somewhat skinny to me. Are those tribal tattoos inscribed at his upper back? I can’t deny that it appeared good on him, like a gangster. This guy is a way out of control.

Then leeteuk turned around and paced towards my area. Ack! No don’t look at your coats! I don’t want to be caught, oh no. it seemed that my prayers where immediately answered when he stopped and just glanced at the other parts of the wardrobe, with hands at his hips.

Having too many clothes must be fun for you to spend time thinking about it, huh? Everytime leeteuk would glance at the coats in my direction, I would squint my eyes to check the very visible scar above his toned abs, right exactly at his chest. His ribcages must have been forcefully cracked open everytime he undergoes surgery. Poor thing. The scar is so long. But like the tribal tattoos, the old wound looked good on him too. Am I actually thinking about this?

I tiptoed as fast as I could when leeteuk went out of the closet and watched closely as he moved towards the bathroom. Good! I’ll take this time to leave. But how do I leave? I was stuck at his room, scratching my head. If I close the door, will he hear? I can’t go out that easily, he must leave his entire room for real.

I decided to hide under his bed and wait until he leaves his place.

I am proud of myself for being so small to hide myself completely. Good thing, I was born to be five feet and a little inches. I saw leeteuk’s feet walking in and out of the closet, preparing his attire. I sighed as I waited for more minutes, only seeing a pair of feet. Then the body part suddenly vanished as I placed the phone back in my pocket upon checking the time.

I was late to realize that a pair of hands suddenly pulled my left leg out.

------------------------------

KITCHEN AREA, PARK VILLA

“where’s taeyeon unni?” sunny asked as she and ryewook were preparing their food for lunch.

“you’re the same room as her, why are you asking me?”

“after breakfast she told me that she’s just going out for air.” Sunny blinked. She looked at the clock hanging at the top most area of the kitchen wall. “its been hours and she’s not back yet.”

“want to tell kangin hyung to look for her?” ryeowook asked as he dip a large fish on the frying pan.

Sunny watched as the fish glimmered at the presence of hot cooking oil.

“they’re not on good terms yet, ever since the cook rivalry incident.” She whispered.

 “that’s the problem with taengoo, she’s too harsh.” ryeowook smiled, watching the pan simmer in hot oil. “even tiffany’s patience belittles everytime she’s mad.”

“you can’t blame her, she’s been the breadwinner ever since we can remember.” Sunny said.

Ryeowook nodded and silently praised taeyeon for being the family’s only source of income.

“I think she was back at the manor, she’s been suspecting something for days.” Ryeowook changed the topic. Taeyeon already told them about her job as an agent and the reason why they were living at the villa.

“you mean leeteuk oppa’s past?” sunny raised her head. “yeah, she’s been talking about it for days.”

---------------------------

LEETEUK’S ROOM, PARK MANOR

Taeyeon’s pov

I closed my eyes as a pair of hands forcefully dragged me out under the bed. I felt like a roman soldier being carried away by a mighty lion.

“ack!” I gasped, shielding myself with my arms.

“I thought I heard a mouse making tiny noises in this room, looks like it was just you.” I heard leeteuk speak.

I opened my eyes and found myself under this half dressed man cornered by his hands and legs.

booya, what are you, caging me?” I huffed.

“why am I finding kim taeyeon under my bed?” leeteuk’s eyebrows cringe in confusion.

“i- I….”

Oh no, what do I do?

“It didn’t seem to think that you just dropped by here.” He rationalized as I bit my lip in worry. “I think you were up to something. Are you telling me what it is?”

Aigoo.. I can’t tell him that I am after his past. I don’t want to lose a hefty amount of salary, aish.

“I’m not telling you anything.” I stuck my tongue.

“really?” leeteuk raised his eyebrow.

I closed my eyes again as water from his hair dropped into my face.

“you’re not really telling me anything?” leeteuk poked my forehead.

yah! No!” I said, shielding myself.

Leeteuk sighed and pulled me up, dragging me towards the bathroom.

yah! What are you doing, yah!” I said, yanking away. Leeteuk’s grip on my wrist was so powerful I that he was able to get me inside.

“now, speak.” Leeteuk locked the door and raised the shower hose in front of my face.

“you’re not going to use that on me are you?” I stared at the object in shock.

Leeteuk smiled and teased the shower in front of my face

“if you tell me what’s going on I won’t.”

yah!” I said, trying to break free.

“I’m waiting.” Leeteuk stared at me innocently as he gripped firmly on my wrist.

“pft!”

araso.” Leeteuk sprayed water generously on my face.

yah, I can’t breathe!” I gasped.

“this is what police officers do to torture an unwanted mouse.” Leeteuk smiled as I tried to move my head away from the splashing waters.

aish! Help!”

“area is soundproof.” Leeteuk said.

yah, park jungsu, don’t do this to a girl!” I shouted. Leeteuk laughed and sprayed more water to my face.

“beast!” I shrieked.

Leeteuk sighed and placed the shower hose on the sink.

“see what you did to me, see!” I said to him, showing my clothes fully soaked. “aigoo.”

I splashed a hefty amount of water to his entire floor that made his eyes popped in shock. I looked outside the bathroom and took a glance at his shiny bed room floor.

I smiled at him.

“no, not the floor!” leeteuk shouted as I ran away outside.

“take that, take that!” I said, shaking my clothes at his bedroom floor.

Leeteuk bit his lip at the sight of his room contaminated with bathroom water. he caught my hand and dragged me towards the main door.

“I don’t think this conversation is going somewhere.” He said, pointing his head to the entrance. “out.”

-------------------------

KITCHEN AREA, PARK VILLA

Ryeowook and sunny saw taeyeon entering the kitchen area.

“can I have water?” taeyeon asked, fanning herself.

Ryeowook took some water from the purifier .

“you’re sweating in a cold weather like this?” he laughed as he handed her the drink. “what happened?you’re all wet!”

“he caught me.” taeyeon huffed, referring to leeteuk. “water torture.”

Ryeowook and sunny exchanged glances.

unni, you shouldn’t take too much risks like that, it’ll trouble you.” She said, sitting down. “look at yourself, it’ll look like he’ll bug you to death when you don’t tell him the truth.”

“I know, I know. I’m really just curious about his past.” Taeyeon said. “he’s like a jigsaw puzzle, you know I love things like that.”

“did you see something then?” ryeowook asked.

Taeyeon triumphantly took out her celllphone.

“pictures.” She said, praising herself for her plan B.

“as always kim taeyeon.” Sunny sighed, stealing her gadget.

Taeyeon smiled at her victory and almost ignored a tall woman with very straight black hair entering the kitchen area.

“I heard you make a delicious carrot juice, can I have some?” the woman asked ryeowook.

Taeyeon looked at the woman and noticed a striking resemblance of her features with someone she just met a while ago.

“miss park?” she asked, astounded.

ne.” the woman smiled. “I’m inyoung, the eldest daughter. I heard you talking about my brother before I came in.”

Taeyeon looked at sunny and swore she could have slapped from being too nosy.

“its okay, really.” Inyoung smiled as she took the seat next to taeyeon. “what do you want to know about my brother? I can tell you.”

--------------------------

FRONT PORCH, PARK MANOR

Leeteuk closed the main door behind him and paced towards the black car that he usually uses every time he goes out. For now he was prohibited to use the car alone, ever since his incident at the hospital.

A man in his twenties was waiting at him near the passenger seat.

annyeong, I will be your temporary driver for today sir. mister Han was not feeling good today.” He bowed.

Leeteuk nodded.

“what’s your name?”

“kim kangin.” Kangin placed both of his hands under his back and stood erect as leeteuk began scanning his features up to down.

“you’re kim taeyeon’s brother?” leeteuk asked.

“elder brother sir.”

“you certainly don’t look very much alike.” Leeteuk mentioned as he entered inside the passenger seat.

Kangin bowed and immediately followed.

“sir, are you not using the back seat?” he asked when leeteuk put on his shades.

“I don’t see why I have to be seated there.” Leeteuk said.

“ah, ne.”

Kangin the engine and sped the car forward.

“how are you today sir?” kangin asked as the car moved down the road.

Leeteuk smiled and leaned himself comfortably on his seat.

“you must have heard a lot.”

 “ne, but I am a good person to rely onto, sir.” kangin said, clearing his throat.

Leeteuk didn’t appear listening and instead focused his sight on the car breaks.

 “What happened ?” he asked as he bent his head to catch a glimpse of kangin’s tattered shoes.

“ah.. this, I’ve been using it for years.” Kangin blushed.

“very sentimental.” Leeteuk concluded, leaning back at the car seat.

annyeo, shoes are just expensive nowadays, sir.” kangin scratched his head. But in reality he really wanted to buy a pair of shoes. Only taeyeon would insist that he has to work in order to buy a new pair.

Leeteuk nodded.

“head to the left.” He ordered as the traffic light suddenly went green.

 kangin was surprised upon leeteuk’s order of changing roads.

“sir? don’t you have a meeting today?”

Leeteuk sighed and looked at himself on the rear mirror.

“I want to buy a shoe.” he said.

-----------------------------

KITCHEN AREA, PARK VILLA

Inyoung inhaled a deep breath before beginning her story.

“well… how do I say this.” She began, looking at the ceiling, cupping her chin. “jungsu, doesn’t really have a nice past compared to others. You see, our mother passed away when hyoyeon was only two years due to the sickness like what jungsu has today. Jungsu by the way, was the only one affected by the disease. So when eomma died, father hired all the best doctors to make sure that jungsu wouldn’t fall the same fate. That includes endless surgeries and medications. Just imagine jungsu undergoing the knife three to five times a year.”

Taeyeon could imagine the pain of opening one’s ribcages before surgery and leeteuk’s scar on his chest that became the mark of the operation.

“so jungsu, goes in and out of the hospital just to visit his doctor.” Inyoung recalled as everyone listened intently by huddling together. “there he met han ga-in. Ga-in is a very sweet girl by the way, three years ahead of jungsu’s age, almost same as mine. Ga-in and jungsu were inseperable eversince, ga-in would come over the manor to play games with him, to take care of jungsu at least because he wasn’t allowed to go out. of course during his puberty age, he did come to notice that he has feelings over her so he courted her and they became a couple when he was I think, fifteen years old. “

“and ga-in unni was eighteen? She was so mature by that time then!” sunny said.

ne.” inyoung laughed. “but jungsu is a mature person too, they almost have the same level. They always look ahead. I can say that ga-in was the best part of jungsu’s life because she made him take medications and surgeries with courage and determination that he would be fine when he reach the age of his twenties. Five years of being together, celebrating their major anniversary until ga-in was the only one left in the house on the summer of 2006.”

Taeyeon could feel her heart beating irregularly. This is it.

“jungsu doesn’t want ga-in alone in a house every time her parents are away but ga-in is a strong person and wouldn’t want even jungsu to stay. She wanted jungsu to be prepared for the operation that he will be undergoing the next day, which is a prelude before his heart transplant. The heart transplant that time is our only hope for him to be treated and to live his life normally just like the others. But then we didn’t know that ga-in’s incident will be the major cause for jungsu to stop undergoing surgeries.”

Sunny’s jaw dropped.

“what happened?” she asked.

“ga-in was attacked by burglars from the slums the night that she was alone. She was stabbed several times.”

Inyoung sighed and could almost feel water welling in her eyes.

“so.” She continued, breathing deeply. “when jungsu saw her at the emergency room, that was when he decided not to undergo surgeries anymore, because it was instilled in him that knives killed his girlfriend.”

“like this?” ryeowook asked, raising his knife. “yah, taengoo, you can show him this knife before he takes the exams, maybe you can beat his grades.”

“don’t talk like that.” taeyeon shook her head. “that was so terrible, unni.”

So that was the reason why he issued an order not to undergo surgeries, she thought.

“I know right?” inyoung sighed. “and after that, ever since this day, we weren’t able to properly talk to him. He kept distancing himself on us and even on his friends. And I really am sorry if you experience a very bad attitude from him once in a while. Father and him really had fights over treatments. We wanted him to be alive but he’s just killing himself because of his lifestyle.”

“he should be thinking about his family.” Sunny said, patting inyoung’s shoulder.

“I think he does, he’s just having difficulties for the moment. If it takes years to heal its fine, I just hope that he realizes how important it is for the people around for him to be alive.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“I’ll be back.” She said, heading outside.

Taeyeon closed the door of the kitchen area, heaving out a deep breath.

So this is what goes on about his life, and his father’s mission of hiring agents to protect him against his lifestyle, she thought.

Taeyeon couldn’t explain the feeling of her heart banging inside her chest.

She cried.

-----------------------------

SHOE SHOP

Kangin looked around the shoe shop and was amazed at the rows of branded sneakers.

“wow, everything is just awesome.” He scratched his head in awe. Sneakers were arranged into their own colors and everything stood out in their own stylish way.

“can I have this at size ten?” leeteuk asked the sales lady.

Kangin took a seat beside leeteuk, continuing to admire the place.

“I’ve never been in this place, you’re lucky to have everything in you.” He told leeteuk. “ I mean, sir.”

Kangin looked at his own shoes. He hoped that he would buy his own someday. The tattered look and the grayish appearance of his sneakers really appeared bad.

“this is size ten?” leeteuk asked as the sales lady gave him the box. He inspected the shoe from all sides and nodded.

 “try this.” He told kangin.

“for real?” kangin cannot believe his own eyes.

leeteuk leaned his back comfortably on the sofa.

"I’m lazy to try it.”

Kangin nodded and tried the shoe.

mwo, it fits exactly.” He mused.

“what do you think?” leeteuk asked.

“its nice.” Kangin blurted. “I mean, every guy would kill for this shoe, I think.”

“miss, we’re getting one.” Leeteuk gave his card to the sales lady.

Kangin watched as the saleslady placed the shoes back to the box and headed towards the counter.

“you’re really lucky that you can buy almost everything.” Kangin gaped at leeteuk in awe. “if I was born to rich parents, I would be buying everything too.”

“thank you for buying sir.” the saleslady handed leeteuk the plastic with the newly bought pair of sneakers.

Leeteuk gave the box to kangin.

“huh?” taeyeon’s brother stared at the Park family member in shock.

“what?” leeteuk blinked.

“this is for me?” kangin blurted.

Leeteuk smiled and rolled his eyes.

“get it before I change my mind.” He said, pacing towards the exit.

----------------------------

TAEYEON’S ROOM, PARK VILLA

Taeyeon saw kangin passing by the study hall.

yah, kangin!”

ne?” kangin peek his head at the door of taeyeon’s room.

“what’s that?” taeyeon pointed to kangin’s feet.

Kangin entered the room and looked at his own white shoes.

“nice, huh?” he commented.

mwo, who told you to buy one?”

“I didn’t buy it.” kangin stared at her blankly.

“huh?” taeyeon jumped off her bed and headed towards her brother’s direction.

“I didn’t know that you have a good taste in shoes.” Taeyeon laughed as she inspected kangin’s feet.

“I didn’t pick it either.”

Taeyeon cringed her brows.

mwo? Who’s the santa claus then?” she smiled.

“teukie hyung.” Kangin smiled too.

Taeyeon’s smile immediately faded at the mention of leeteuk’s name.

“teukie hyung? Who are you to call that guy?” taeyeon slapped her brother’s arm. “wait, wait, how come he bought you shoes?”

Kangin shrugged.

“he must have noticed how old my shoes were.” He said. “Yah, you’re eyes are like puffy, have you been crying?”

“no.” taeyeon lied, looking away.

“really?” kangin teased.

aish, don’t look at me.” taeyeon shielded her eyes away.

Kangin blocked his sister’s view.

“the last time you were like that was when your ex dumped you for his sugar mommy. Who’s the lucky guy?” he asked.

aish.” Taeyeon bit her lip in disgust. “no one, go away.”