CHAPTER 14

Heart and Soul

Business and Politics Classroom

Taeyeon’s POV

The results of the exam…

I squeezed myself to the number of students eagerly looking at the results and the topnotchers of the class. The board area situated outside the classroom became an instant celebrity of the day, as professors alike posted the results on the place. I was so small that it wasn’t difficult enough for me to squeeze in through the small gaps of the people who have the same curiosity as me.

“number one is…” I said, squinting my eyes. I jumped to my area in surprise. “ah! Its me! sungmin I’m number one!”

I accidentally pushed a lot of my classmates upon making my way to sungmin waiting at the back.

“you’re number two!” I told sungmin and my pink lover classmate immediately jumped with glee.

We were probably doing ridiculous jumps, pumping our fists in the air, clapping our hands noisily until I realized that one person was missing from the list.

“leeteuk? He wasn’t there.” I blurted, scratching my head. I left sungmin and made my way inside the class.

And leeteuk just sat there, in a crossed legs position, resting the back of his head. He was probably there all the time even if others were already piling outside the room.

yah, teuk!” I called out. I ran all the way, descending my steps until I reached his area.

“you’re not on the list how come?” I asked.

“why are you wondering?” leeteuk asked back. He smiled and closed his eyes. “I need to rest, just enjoy yourself. Congratulations.”

bwo-“ I tugged his sleeves and sat infront of him at the table. “I don’t get this, you always defeat me in class how come?”

aigoo, I failed again at business psychology.” I heard eunhyuk babbling with siwon. I was crossing my arms in disappointment because leeteuk won’t tell me anything about the results.

“taengoo, congratulations.” Siwon smiled at me. I forced a smile as they too joined me and leeteuk at the table.

“what’s with the face, you’re supposed to be rejoicing.” Eunhyuk poked my arm.

How should I rejoice when a friend of mine wouldn’t explain to me what just happened?

“she’s probably wondering about leeteuk not being on the list.” Siwon grinned.

yah, you guys know something I don’t know.” I said, pointing a finger.

Eunhyuk flashed his gummy smile.

“you didn’t ask sungmin?”

“I left him outside.” I said.

“you should have waited for his answer when you’re asking him.” Siwon said.

Eunhyuk cleared his throat, eased the creases of his pants and stood infront of me, pointing at the sleeping leeteuk at his chair.

“this teukie hyung.” He began. “is immortal.”

Bwo-- Immortal?

booya?” I mouthed.

“his name won’t show in the honor roll but in the hall of fame.” Sungmin joined. “he was always at the top of the honors’ list that the school decided to put him on the over all university’s hall of fame. So he’s the current lead at business and politics.”

“and you’re actually number two.” Siwon butted in.

What?

I kicked leeteuk’s chair and he opened his eyes in surprise.

“ouch.” He acted as if he’s hurt.

“and I always thought you’re just being humble, aish.” I said, starting to kick him in the shin.

Leeteuk caught my feet and pouted at my sudden gesture.

“stop doing that.” he said.

“you’re not telling me anything about it, I’m supposed to be number one!” I said, yanking away.

“you’re number one.” Leeteuk cradled my shoes on his lap. “in the honors’ list, you’re not satisfied?”

aish.” I said pushing his chair.

I walked out their area and went to the nearest washroom.

“what’s with her?” eunhyuk mumbled.

---------------------------

Washroom

Taeyeon angrily washed her face and submerged herself more on the pool of water at the sink. She really couldn’t believe that leeteuk would land on the hall of fame although it is not impossible if it does happen. And it did, all the while she thought that she had beaten him at last. Taeyeon bit her lip. To think that she was actually number two kept on messing up her thoughts. She studied hard, and she even knew that she had more hours of studying than leeteuk. But how come? Kim taeyeon shook her head and tried to erase her thoughts.

But then again, they are friends. And she has to understand the school policy for the students. Maybe because leeteuk spent more time at the school than her. she was a transferee after all, and he was already four years specializing in the area. So, to sum it up, to transfer and get good grades at the same time is already an achievement.

“taengoo.” Sungmin called out. “taengoo are you there?”

Taeyeon didn’t want to respond but she’d pity sungmin if he waited for her.

“I’m here.” She finally said.

“are you okay?” sungmin blurted. “taengoo, he’s really good at these course, we have to do nothing but to maintain good grades.”

“you’re not helping.” Taeyeon said. she was envying leeteuk more.

“taengoo.” Sungmin smiled. “he’s already your friend. Are you still thinking that way?”

“friends and grades are different, sungmin.”

aigoo.” Sungmin scratched his head. “you’re such a competitive person.”

Taeyeon pursed her lips and checked on her phone.

“I’m coming, wait for me.” she called out too. Taeyeon wiped her wet hands to the tissue she retrieved from the sink. She suddenly remembered that she will be having a scheduled meeting with leeteuk’s fans club.

--------------------------

University Park

unni.” Jessica pouted. “I thought you’ll be bringing oppa here.”

Taeyeon crossed her arms and kicked the table infront of her. she was still disappointed of leeteuk not telling her anything about the hall of fame even if sungmin already explained about the school’s mechanics when it comes to topnotchers.

“if he’s on the hall of fame then how many points should I cover? Aish.” taeyeon shook her head in disbelief.

“is this about the grade results?” yoona sang.

Taeyeon bit her lip in fury and nodded at the tall vice president patting her back.

“that’s what you’re missing, you didn’t actually look his status at the school.” sooyoung butted in. “good thing you’re in the club, you’ll really know everything about him starting now.”

“I’d be willing to tell you anything you don’t know yet.” Yoona winked.

Taeyeon shrugged.

“no thanks.” she said. she won’t want to have anything leeteuk related for the moment. Not until she accepts her defeat. She always knew that he has better grades, but the school policy really irritated her.

Jessica opened a brown box that lay infront of her at the stone table.

“who wants teukie teuki plushies?” she smiled, showing a chibi dark brown haired leeteuk in a white polo and slacks. yoona and sooyoung immediately raised their hands and Jessica didn’t hesitate to give them each.

“its so cute.” Yoona gushed, raising chibi leeteuk’s fist in the air.

“I actually have five teukie plushies here plus plushies of ourselves.” Jessica continued as she gave taeyeon her own version of a stufftoy. taeyeon squinted at the plush due to its long cute brown hair, big eyes and button nose. It really resembled her in all aspects.

“it looks like me.” she blurted.

ne.” Jessica smiled, waving the blond stufftoy. “these are just sample items that we will show the other members of this club. If they all agree to having these plushies then I guess we have to fix our budget for  it. the own versions of us in plushies are just a plus and the members could have them too if they want to order for themselves.”

Taeyeon played with her toy and sighed.

unni.” Jessica looked at her. “you should be bringing oppa here so we could give him his stuff toy as a gift.”

“why don’t you give it to him instead?” taeyeon suggested. She really didn’t want to personally give the toy to leeteuk, not until she has cooled herself from being beaten at the grading.

“I’ll give it to him.” Yoona volunteered.

Taeyeon looked at yoona and nodded. She closed her eyes and poked the teuk plushie’s head with her fist.

“so childish.” said a voice whispering in her ear.

Jessica, yoona and sooyoung gaped at the sight of leeteuk leaning over at taeyeon’s side.

“hi.” Leeteuk bowed, taking a seat beside taeyeon. Yoona and sooyoung’s jaw dropped from the sight of him in a light blue polo and grey slacks. He was so near to them, almost near to touch his hair glittering in the sun. leeteuk bent his head, noticing that they weren’t talking.

“are you guys okay?” he asked.

“hi.” Jessica was the only one who could reply.

“hi.” Leeteuk said again.

He looked around the table and caught the attention of a teukie plush dangling at the box.

“oh…this is me?” he asked, waving the toy.

ne.”

Taeyeon snatched the teukie plush on his hands.

“this is mine.” She said. “I paid for it.”

aigoo, unni.” Jessica hissed. Leeteuk looked at her from head to foot and shrugged.

“my name is Jessica jung.” Jessica extended her hand and blushed from leeteuk’s sudden stare. “I—uhm, I founded your fan’s club. And these are my vp and sec, yoona and sooyoung.”

Yoona and sooyoung extended their hands in an instant.

“park jungsu.” said leeteuk, shaking everyone’s hand.

“aka leeteuk.” Sooyoung said dreamily.

“wow.” Leeteuk smiled, amazed.

Taeyeon bit her lip and poked leeteuk’s shoulder.

“you’re still disappointed?” leeteuk stared at her.

“honestly?” taeyeon rolled her eyes. “yeah.”

She hit him with a taeyeon plush instinctively on the head to dispose her grumbling. Leeteuk bit his lip and grabbed the toy, amused at its striking resemblance with taeyeon.

“I like this. Can I have?” He asked, looking at Jessica.

“that’s unni’s actually.”

“oh, then its okay.” Leeteuk cradled the taeyeon plush to his chest, rubbing the head gently with his hand.

Taeyeon cringe her brows at the sight.

bwo—who said its yours?” she said, trying to steal the plush.

“me.” leeteuk blinked. He leaned at taeyeon and pinched her nose. “taeng, order me a cheesecake. I’m hungry.”

bwo—then eat by yourself. Yah, can’t breathe! ”

Leeteuk laughed, stood up from his seat and pulled taeyeon by the hand.

“nice to meet you by the way.” Leeteuk bowed to Jessica, yoona and sooyoung. “I’m borrowing your treasurer for the moment, can i?”

aigoo, let go.” Taeyeon tried to yank her wrist free but his grip was so powerful that she can feel her blood flow stopping to the upper part of her hand.

Leeteuk raised his brows and wagged a finger infront of her face.

“ I borrowed you.” He told her. “so you’re mine.”

“what are you talking about you----“

Leeteuk looked at the girls and flashed his smile.

“sorry for the commotion.” He apologized. “bye girls.”

Jessica dropped to the bench, amazed. She watched leeteuk dragging a helpless taeyeon towards the library café.

“he… he…” she stuttered. “he smiled at me.”

---------------------------------

Seoul Pharmacy

“is this the sample?” leeteuk looked at kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun nodded and pushed a bottle of water into his own hands.

“you try.” He said.

Leeteuk stared at the white colored medicine for the moment before swallowing. The mixture of a bitter and sour taste of the pill immediately slid down on his throat.

“what do you think?”

“is this more organic?” leeteuk asked.

ne. devoid of chemicals aside from the makings of the pill itself.” Kyuhyun said.

Leeteuk nodded and heave out deep breaths.

“your breathing.” Kyuhyun noticed the hoarse sound of his throat everytime he respires.

“you noticed it too?” leeteuk shrugged. “I’m having difficulties for the moment.”

“maybe you should go to your doctor.”

“I already did.” Leeteuk said. “I’m just waiting for more results.”

Kyuhyun touched the back of his hand. he was always the first to notice his difficulty, and he really didn’t like it everytime leeteuk would tell them that he’s okay in the opposite view of things.

hyung.” He said. “we can’t just rely on experimental trials. You need to go surgery yourself.”

“you know that I’m not doing that.” leeteuk said firmly.

aigoo.” Kyuhyun pouted. Even he cannot understand leeteuk’s suicidal tendencies.

 Leeteuk noticed kyuhyun’s face frowning from his sentence and he began to clear his throat to dismiss the topic.

“don’t worry I’m fine.” He said, patting his hand back. “I’ll be fine.”

--------------------------------

Taeyeon’s Room, Park Villa

Taeyeon’s POV

KNOCK KNOCK

“who could that be, a visitor late at night?” I mouthed as I jumped from my bed, drying my hair with a towel. I just had my night bath, a usual routine I do before sleep to detoxify and to get rid of bad spirits according to my tradition.

“leeteuk?”

Leeteuk greeted me in a black super hero shirt and white shorts. He wasn’t holding a notebook so I was assuming that his visit was unplanned.

“you’re sleeping already?” he asked, looking around the room. then he stared at me and noticed that I was patting my hair dry. “hmm..I guess your not.”

“what are you doing here?” I turned to ask when he went inside the room. does his siblings know that he’s wandering aroud? Late at night?

“I can’t sleep.” He said, jumping at my bed. He must have noticed the softness of the cushion when his body landed on the surface because he smiled. Aish.The sight of leeteuk at my own room was giving me a weird feeling.

yah, don’t mess up.” I said to him as he rolled over the sheets.

Leeteuk stopped what he was doing and sat up instantly.

“maybe I should sleep here.” He suggested, patting the bed.

I stared at him with a shocked expression in the face.

“no way, don’t you see this is a girl’s room?”

“so?”

anni, its just not right.” I said, throwing my towel at him.

Leeteuk caught the towel with his own bare hands and placed the material carefully at the foot of the bed.

“we’re just going to talk.” He said.”I’m pretty harmless for the moment, you see.”

I rolled my eyes and jumped on the bed too. Maybe I should just ignore him and go to sleep.

“let me sleep.” I said, pulling my blanket over me.

Leeteuk also held the sheet over himself at the level of his chest.

“seriously, you’ll sleep with a wet hair?” he smiled. I bit my lip in embarrassment and covered my face with my hands.

“hey.” Leeteuk leaned over and gently pulled my hands away. I kept noticing how tired his face was. Beneath his glasses were dark circles visible under his brown glistening eyes but apart from it, his overall face wasn’t showing any facial wrinkles nor any blemishes. Just overall tiredness. We stared at each other for the moment, with me secretly envying the almost perfection of his features, until he was pursing his lips like a duck.

“I can’t sleep because I’m having arrhythmia.” He confessed, breathing deeply. “you know how much this troubles me. and of course I’m not allowed to drink outside or to smoke because literally I’ll be out of breath.”

“good thing you know that.” I said, toning down.

Leeteuk nodded too.

“so you talk to me.” he said, propping my pillow up. I had no choice but to lie on an inclined position and plunge on to his weird pre-sleeping habits.

“okay, then I guess I have to talk until you sleep.” I yawned.

Leeteuk rested his head on the pillow to my right.

“you won’t be mad at me?”

“no.” I said. “you were having sleep problems. I should be helping you at least.”

“that’s weird.” Leeteuk smiled. “people would choose to sleep over than to be with a restless person.”

“I’m more of a wonderful person than you think.” I stuck my tongue. I sighed and thought of any stories that I could remember.

“can I ask you something?” I looked at leeteuk.

“what?”

“have you ever felt that you met the right person even when you’re still a child?” I blinked. I really had no topics, and this one just bugged into my mind like a flash.

Leeteuk chuckled and bit his lip.

“If I told you that it’s a yes, will you laugh at me?”

“no.” I shook my head. “puppy love exists.”

Leeteuk snuggled his head on his hands.

“I actually found one before ga-in.” he told me. I looked at him in surprise with a mix of amusement. So this guy believes at love in first encounter.

“so what happened?” I asked. This is really interesting.

“its just one day, she has this long wavy hair like yours, big eyes, very intelligent.” He said. “but I don’t have a clear memory of her because after my mother died, my childhood memories in that place died too. I just remembered telling my mother that I wanted to marry the little girl.”

I pulled the blanket up my stomach as leeteuk felt coldness seeping through the windows.

“so after that?” I asked leeteuk. “did you search for her?”

“actually after my mother died, I met ga-in two years after, so I had forgotten her existence.” leeteuk said gently.

“oh.” I felt sorry for the first girl that captured his heart. nonetheless, it’s a mere puppy love, a really young love out of impulse.

Leeteuk switched off the lamp to his right, leaving with an only one lamp to my left glowing in the night.

“is this okay?” he asked me. “I sleep with lights off.”

“that’s fine with me.” I said. I even sleep with no lights at all back in the apartment when there was a time that I forgot to pay our electric bills. And tiffany and kangin were really mad at me for causing it. Wait…

anni, you’re not sleeping here.” I blurted.

“why not?” leeteuk looked at me innocently.

bwo—its because a boy and a girl shouldn’t be sleeping in a bed unless they’re a couple.” I said. good enough? I think I’ve reasoned myself out.

Leeteuk took off his glasses.

“tell me.” he smiled as he placed his glasses at the bedside table. “that project we have, that involves a house right?”

“actually an apartment.” I corrected him. “its my old apartment.”

“okay… and who will stay there for a night?”

I twitched my nose like a pet rabbit waiting for food.

“you and me, because of the project.” I said blankly.

“who again?”

“you and me.” I repeated. I cupped my mouth at the sudden thought.

“see.” Leeteuk said. “only two of us in an apartment. And you didn’t even complain about that when I was assigned as your partner.”

I really didn’t think about that. I was preoccupied with the tasks that I’ve forgotten that I was paired with a male.

“fine.” I mumbled. “you sleep here. But don’t tell anyone because people would think we had…“

“had what?” leeteuk asked.

aish,  nothing.” I said, erasing my thoughts. Leeteuk stared at me and laughed.

booya?”

“as if you have  experience.” He chuckled.

“as if you have experience too.” I dared back.

Leeteuk placed a finger on his lips and winked.

“of course I do. I was wasted for about five years.”

“yuck, —“ I said, slapping his shoulder.

“miss goody-two-shoes.” Leeteuk said. “you only call me that if I really did it.”

“you didn’t?”

“did a couple of things with strangers.” He confessed. “but never really did it. I just literally slept.”

“and you think I’d believe that?” I pinched his arm.

Leeteuk couldn’t help but to laugh at my statement.

“I didn’t know you were so naïve.” He smiled. “I’d only do that with someone I love. I am a limited man, I cant overwork my heart and my physical being. You know that.”

“sorry.” I smiled too. so there was still a conservative attitude with this man.

“so you and ga-in?”

“no.” leeteuk said.

“so technically, you’re still clean?” I asked.

Leeteuk gently tugged my hair.

“what are you thinking of me?” he blurted. “stop that.”

“sorry.” I chuckled. Suddenly I felt relieved that he didn’t do it. although it surprises me why I am thinking about it.

“tell me more stories about your childhood.” Leeteuk interrupted my thinking balloon.

I rubbed my cheeks and thought more about the first few years of my life.

“that piano in your music room, actually reminds me of a teacher I had before.” I said when leeteuk placed his hands under his head.

“really?” he asked.

ne.” I smiled, looking up. “just for a day, I had my piano teacher. She’s a volunteer at the slums. Really close to the kids like me. I was four when she taught me a song.”

I could still even feel the rhythm of the song invading my head.

“you learned a song in a day?” leeteuk was amused.

“of course I didn’t use both hands.” I shrugged. “I used my right hand while she was using her left. And she would really guide me. she’s a very nice volunteer, she made me feel that it was not embarrassing to be with a rich person. She’s rich but she even brought her son with him that time so the son too could volunteer with kids.”

Leeteuk cringe his brows.

“what does he look like?”

“white.” I laughed. “he’s healthy looking but frail at the same time. You know what I mean?”

“no.”

“when my teacher and I were in a middle of a song, her son suddenly complained a chest pain. “ I said. “I couldn’t blame the kid, he really looked like he was in pain. So my teacher ushered her son in front of her and instead of giving him a medicine, she put her hand on him like this.”

I placed the palm of my hand on leeteuk’s chest and he really was surprised with the sudden action.

“why?” I asked.

“its comforting.” He said.

“I didn’t get to see her after that day.” I said, patting his chest. “they said that she disappeared a week after. And its sad because I didn’t get to know her name at least.”

I looked at leeteuk and he was suddenly motioning to close his eyes.

“hey.” I said. “are you sleeping?”

“yes.” He whispered. I cautiously took my hand off his chest but he caught it with his own.

“just let it stay here.” He mumbled. “I remember my mom doing the same to me.”

yah, you’re supposed to go back to your room.” I said, ticking his chest. He just held my hand, ignoring my response.

I bit my lip and watched leeteuk breathing in deep breaths, motioning himself to sleep.

aigoo.” I whispered. This leaves me to nothing but one choice.

I turned off the lamp and lay facing him. I guess I had to be in this position until he feels better. The light of the moon was the only visible ray that reached the room contouring the side of his face.

“goodnight taeng.” Leeteuk whispered.

I closed my eyes too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Twenty years ago….

“pretty miss, you are really keeping up.” The piano teacher smiled at taeyeon. Taeyeon smiled and resumed touching the keys on the little grand piano that the teacher bought exclusively to their town as a gift.

“its easy.” Little taeyeon said. even in her own little mind, the child was already blossoming with heaps of maturity and intelligence.

The piano teacher gracefully guided her with her left hand gently touching the piano keys.

“what song is this?” taeyeon asked at the middle part of the lesson.

“hmm?” the piano teacher hummed. the melody was so beauteous that taeyeon wouldn’t want to replace the song with another.

“I’m going to memorize this so I can play with it even if I grow up.” Taeyeon beamed.

“eomma.”

The piano teacher smiled and ushered her son to move over. Taeyeon noticed the frail looking boy muttering something to her teacher’s ear. She would want to understand, but she was taught of her aunt to have good manners and avoid immersing to other people’s business.

“how’s this?” the piano teacher placed her right hand to his son’s chest. The son immediately closed his eyes and gave out deep breaths.

“better?” the piano teacher asked. Taeyeon looked at the boy smiling with his dimples showing up. It was definitely a good sight for her to see.

“you smile good.” Taeyeon praised him. The little boy was surprised at her sudden remark but acknowledged the notion with a bow. He resumed his sitting position at the edge of the room and continued smiling at taeyeon.

“that’s a really good treasure out there.” Taeyeon smiled too, referring to the boy. If she grew up, she will definitely find and marry him.

“pretty miss.” The piano teacher interrupted her thoughts. “would you mind to get my bag at the room over there? I brought you a gift.”

Taeyeon nodded and headed towards the room behind the piano.

The piano teacher watched taeyeon looking for her bag at a distance and she turned to look at her son.

“teukie, kwenchana?” she asked, almost in a whisper.

“ne, eomma.” Leeteuk smiled at her.

“she’s so talented isn’t she?” leeteuk’s mother gushed.”she could be really great someday.”

Leeteuk nodded too.

“eomma.”

“yes dear?”

“when I grow up.” Leeteuk blushed. “can I marry her?”

“marry her?” leeteuk’s mother laughed. “you’re such a young boy thinking of things like that.”

“I like her, she said I have a good smile.”

“of course you always have a good smile.” Leeteuk’s mother agreed too. “ne, jungsu, you better behave, she’s coming out of the room.”

“ne, eomma.”

Taeyeon returned to the room carrying a black crocodile skinned bag in her hands.

“its heavy.” She said.

“thank you.” The piano teacher said.

Taeyeon rubbed her nose.

“the song by the way.” She butted in as the teacher searched for gift items. “what’s the title?”

The piano teacher took out the candy and placed the item on taeyeon’s hands.

“that song?” she mused. “its my song for my son. The title is Heart and Soul.”

----------------

I wonder why my server's kind of weird nowadays 0_o