CHAPTER 10

Heart and Soul

PARK VILLA

Taeyeon’s POV

“taengoo, be careful when you’re moving okay?” my brother kangin reminded me as I stepped into the front porch of the villa.

ne.” I said back.

I compressed my wounded arm to my stomach when I felt cold wind rushing to my skin. I just underwent ten stitches to my forearm a week ago, when the doctor found out that the laceration reached into my dermis. It was not a good sight, watching your arm being stitched. Even with the presence of anaesthesia, it appeared somewhat painful. Even leeteuk who stood beside me most of my time would cringe his eyebrows at the scene. But he wouldn’t talk. I knew he was afraid but he managed to be there just as so I would have a companion until my siblings came to the hospital too.

When Kangin and tiffany came to my ward at the hospital on the night, leeteuk left and went home.

I haven’t seen him then ever since because the doctor decided not to let me go to school for a week, so my wounded arm would completely heal on itself without too much movement.

I was disappointed that I missed the crucial part of the week before exams but sungmin didn’t hesitate to discuss some topics with me at the villa. And the funny thing is, he and Sunny immediately took off when they found out that they have the same interests. I was even late to find out that they do the same thing when convincing people- the eternal aegyo. So sunny would join our discussions too, with my other bestfriend ryeowook making our snacks.

“it is the wagering of money or some material with an uncertain outcome. What is it?” sungmin asked one Friday evening when I was reviewing myself for the coming exams.

I bit my lip for the moment and I saw sunny coaching me from behind.

“gambling?” I answered.

“correct.” Sungmin smiled. I winked at sunny as she tried to compose herself when sungmin was suspecting her from teaching me the answer.

“gambling.” Sungmin cleared his throat. “are games of chance that requires skill and of course a lot of money. Its one of the sources of corruption to the world today.”

“aww, can’t we just discuss population problem?” I butted in.

Sungmin sighed.

“I’m sorry taengoo, but that area is difficult for me.” he pouted, stretching his feet.

“oh, okay. I guess I just have to study that on my own.”

Sunny’s left hand shot right in the air.

“I’m just thinking, why don’t you ask leeteuk oppa? I’m sure he’ll be a big help.” She said, blowing me a kiss. Sungmin liked the idea too.

“hmm.. why not.” He took out his phone.

“yah.”  I interrupted, scratching my head. “its past 9, maybe he’s sleeping.”

I didn’t know what time leeteuk even sleeps so I’m just guessing that he sleeps early but sungmin laughed at me as if I seemed very innocent.

hyung doesn’t sleep at past 9, even his fans club knows that.” he rolled his eyes.

Oh great, I haven’t been updated with anything leeteuk for awhile, I guess I have to email Jessica or Yoona or Sooyoung later.

“yes?” I heard leeteuk talk through the speaker.

hyung, can you join us here at the villa? Taengoo wants to know something about population problem.” Sungmin snickered as I signaled him to stop doing such.

aigoo, sungmin, you’re really something.”

Sungmin closed his phone and submerged himself in a fit of giggles.

“he said he’s coming in a while.” He blurted, clapping his hands. Sunny joined him too and both made a ridiculous heart sign in front of my face.

“yuck, what’s that?” I laughed, kicking their thighs. “you’re lucky I’m disabled or we could have a pillow fight taking place right now.”

I glanced at sungmin’s notes and tried to immerse myself with the population problem that I wanted to know. Even if I was absent and I missed this topic for the week, I cannot let myself be a damsel in distress especially infront of leeteuk. But sungmin even told me that most of the class had difficulty understanding this. So what more of an absent person like me? I just hope I don’t stress him out.

“wookie oppa! More snacks please!” sunny yelled.

Just then, the sliding wooden door of the living room opened and leeteuk emerged carrying a black velvet notebook in his hand. I smiled at the sight of him wearing only a white v-neck shirt and shorts. It’s the first time he appeared so casual yet still stylish at the same time. Am I really thinking about this? Seven days without him must have produced the effect.

hyung, I bet you had difficulty understanding the topic too.” Sungmin said as leeteuk did an Indian sit beside me at the carpeted floor.

“what about it?” leeteuk asked. I watched him put a pillow between his thighs to rest his elbows from holding his notebook.

“taengoo has difficulty understanding the topic.” Sungmin said.

mwo, you haven’t even discussed it yet.” I defended myself. aigoo, I really don’t like myself being in distress.

Leeteuk looked at me from head to foot and nodded.

“what do you want to know?” he asked me.

“I guess everything.” I shrugged. I must know everything since I am deprived of good grades and I knew that I already missed a week’s pop quizzes due to my accident.

I was thinking of telling leeteuk of my idea beating him at every subjects but his unusual stare to my bandaged arm left me speechless. He saw me staring at it too and he quickly changed the atmosphere by clearing his throat.

“your arm. Is it okay already?” he asked, bending over.

ne, it has completely closed.” I said. is it only me or there’s something really different with him? His voice has completely changed. Although, it was still the same calm voice, there wasn’t any tinge of mockery or sarcasm, but gentleness like an angel speaking through me.

“watermelon, melon, strawberry and chocolate fondue.” Ryeowook broke the silence and placed a plate heaped with fruits at our center. He noticed an additional member to the study group, sitting beside me and he immediately bowed his head as a sign of respect.

“mister park.” He mused. “annyeong.

“mister park?” sungmin laughed. “that’s so formal.”

“my name is kim ryeowook at your service. You can call me wookie.” Ryeowook smiled holding out his hand.

Leeteuk took his hand and gave him a slight shook. I never saw wookie be this giddy before, he must have been amused to see a Park sibling joining the study group. And to top all the entertainment, he even had the courage to seat beside leeteuk.

“can I call you teukie hyung?” ryeowook leaned over to have a better view of leeteuk’s ultra flawless face. “you see, you reminded me of my late brother who was older than me in a year but he died because he was poi-----“

“wookie, stop that.” I raised my hands in embarrassment. if there’s anything such as caste system that exists, I knew leeteuk’s status is way above us. like a glittering shining star above Christmas balls.

“teukie hyung then.” Leeteuk nodded.

Wae? For real? I think I have to slap my face first or immerse myself to a pool of cold water.

“yahoo! Take this, this is yummy.” Ryeowook fed leeteuk with a strawberry dipped in chocolate. “this is dark chocolate, good for the heart.”

aigoo, I don’t believe this.” I huffed, looking at the scene.

“teukie hyung is really nice, I don’t see why taengoo keeps on insulting him at his back.” Ryeowook blinked as leeteuk chewed the fruit quietly in his mouth.

“wookie!” I hissed.

 leeteuk swallowed the fruit and looked at me innocently.

“am I really that bad for you?” he asked.

“we’ll talk about that later, ‘kay?” I smiled through gritted teeth. I could have slapped my bestfriend’s mouth if only leeteuk wasn’t sitting between us.  “wookie, sunny, can you please leave us for the moment?  were in a matter of discussion here, thankyou.”

ne.” sunny and ryeowook stood up.

This one’s a lot better than submerging ourselves to other subjects not in concern.

yah, sungmin, why are you standing?” I asked. “you’re supposed to be joining us so we could have debate on some stuff.”

“I hate population topics, just tell me when you need other topics.” Sungmin winked and headed outside too.

yah!” I called after him.

I knew sungmin wouldn’t return back since he’s been dying to give me and leeteuk a moment together. I really don’t understand him when it comes to this part.

“so, where are we now?” leeteuk asked when the sliding door closed. The atmosphere around is very quiet, spared only by the hoarse respiration sound of this guy who seemed to have his usual difficulty of breathing.

“um..” I searched for sungmin’s notes and pointed to the topics that I want to consider.

“you want to hear my statement of the problem about population?” leeteuk asked.

“good idea.” I said.

Leeteuk opened his notebook too and placed the object at my lap.

“we start with global economic crisis.” He explained, looking at me. aigoo, even the stare is different. Like the leeteuk from the picture albums that I saw in his secret closet.  “we all know that it is felt by every nation, not just in third world countries, but also in first world countries.”

“uh, huh,” I said, trying to erase my thoughts.

“so.” Leeteuk continued. “the statements regarding this problem are impact of population not only on shortage but also to extensive environmental constraints, allocation of resources is scarce plus economic stagnation which makes it even worse.”

I jotted down the following words that I could understand.

“then the main goal to this problem is to identify the Korean government policies and how to alleviate the adverse effects of the overpopulation.” I thought aloud as I wrote down the details.

“you are definitely keeping up.” Leeteuk agreed.

aigoo, I’m just whacking my brains out.” I scratched my head. “but you know, I don’t understand why even if less developed countries and more developed countries have the same mortality rate, population still increases in the third world.”

“ah, that.” leeteuk straightened up his back as I playfully bit the eraser at the tip of my pencil. “is because we don’t have the same birth rate. Birth rate is more rapid at less developed countries. Do you know why?”

“because they have less jobs and they have nothing to do but to make babies?” I laughed.

I thought that I sound ridiculous upon saying the idea but it seemed that leeteuk was smiling at the thought.

“that’s the first thing that really comes to people’s minds.” He said. “but apart from that, more developed countries have strict family planning strategies. They only wanted one or two babies.”

Should I really start reading newspapers from now on? Just where did this guy get too much information?

“you’re so great to know all of these.” I gushed, admiring his discussion. I returned his notebook casually but I forgot that I was using my wounded arm to give his material back.

“ouch, sorry.” I laughed, touching the bandage.

Leeteuk gently placed a pillow on my lap.

“you rest your arm here so you don’t feel tired.” He said as he positioned my arm to the soft cushion. “those stitches will be itchy on the next days to come so don’t even think of touching it.”

“thanks.” I muttered. Come to think of it, if he did undergo multiple surgeries years ago, just what did he feel everytime his scar would heal?

“you seem to really know everything.” I said in awe. I can’t help it, his actions are getting more and more admirable.

“the perks of being sick.” He shrugged, looking at his lap.

“oh, okay…”

Leeteuk fumbled for his pocket and opened a medicinal bottle in front of my eyes.

“why?” he asked, when he noticed that I was staring at him. I blinked my eyes and diverted my attention to the thai made lights above us.

“I always notice you drinking that medicine, what exactly is that?” I asked, looking up.

“beta blocker, my heart has been restless for days.” He said.

“oh.” I retrieved the amber bottle from his hand and gently shook the contents under the illuminator. “looks like you have addiction for it.”

“can’t be helped.” Leeteuk said. “I’m also testing myself too.”

“why?” I questioned.

 “you don’t have to know.”

“what if I want to know?” I stared at his eyes.

“you shouldn’t be.” He stared at me back.

I laughed and immediately broke off his gaze.

“you’re really weird.” I mused, hitting his lap.

I didn’t know why I was feeling this way but even if we do have times arguing like cats and dogs, I have always been comfortable with him around, as if he’s a daily part of my life.

“hey.” I said when he took a piece of melon from the glass bowl. “I have something to tell you.”

“what?”

I cleared my throat and eased my breathing.

“I’ve always caused you troubles since the beginning that I stepped in this place.” I said. “like the collapsing incident, the money incident, breaking into your room. do you still remember that?”

“who would forget that?” leeteuk blinked.

“exactly.” I pointed. “and now the knife incident when I brought you to the slums. And I haven’t said to you yet that I am sorry for all of those.”

“you tell me about it.”

“I’m really sorry.” I blurted, closing my eyes. I wasn’t really used to admitting my mistakes but I guess I’m so fed up of causing him nuisance. “i’m really sorry for everything. I can’t promise you that I won’t do it again if you’re really a magnet for disaster.”

“what?” leeteuk looked at me surprisingly.

“but you know what.” I continued, opening my eyes. “I am so tired of fighting you so I guess I’ll be the one to back out. Can’t we just make a deal? in exchange for my troubles I will be your friend.”

“and what does that benefit me?” leeteuk asked.

“well, first of all, I’m not any normal friend around, I am the best.” I said airily. “and I can always protect you. I really want to, since you look so fragile and just in case you got heart attack I’ll be there to bring you to the hospital.”

“then maybe you should have applied as a bodyguard instead.” Leeteuk said.

aigoo.” I hit his lap again in to which he smiled. “be used to me in telling you this. I bet you’re tired too from fighting me.”

“actually, I’m quite enjoying it.” Leeteuk confessed.

Aigoo

yah, park jungsu, this is a chance of a lifetime. Mark this day, past ten in the evening, kim taeyeon is now officially your friend.”

“I haven’t confirmed yet.” Leeteuk said. “you should be proposing to me.”

yah!” I hit him again.

“I’ll confirm if you stop hitting me.”

“okay fine.” I said, hiding my arm in embarassment. “deal?”

“I guess I have to.” Leeteuk smiled. “deal.”

And we both shook hands.

“but seriously.” I toned down my voice as we broke off. “I’m really sorry. I’ll start this over from now on. I may still be the very interruptive person you know but I’ll make sure that I stay out of causing you trouble.“

“I understand.” Leeteuk nodded.

“you always understand.” I laughed, emphasizing the word. I bit my lip when he stared at me, confused. Did I actually say that infront of him?

“um… you can always call me by my nickname.” I said, changing the topic. “like taengoo, or taeng, or if you really like formality, then taeyeon.”

Leeteuk nodded again.

“okay, taeng.”

“and I can call you anything I want.” I smiled, yawning.

I must have been tired from absorbing too many details for the day and leeteuk even noticed the puffiness forming under my eyes.

“you’re tired, do you want to sleep?”

anni, it’s okay. we still have other topics right?” I poked my head to instant alertness.

“yes, we still have domestic violence and tax evasion.” He said, amused at my actions. “but you tell me if you really want to stop.”

I yawned and quickly rubbed my watery eyes.

“no, you continue.” I suggested.

I can’t stop now because listening to his gentle voice has become very addictive.

araso, two more topics.”

 Leeteuk straightened again his back and ate another batch of melon in front of my sleepy eyes.

“you can close your eyes when you listen.” He said, looking at his notebook. “just sit back and I’ll tell you everything.”

------------------------------

Ryeowook bent over and stared at his bestfriend taeyeon with goggling eyes.

“she’s actually asleep, should we bring her to her room?” he asked leeteuk who was busy scribbling down notes from taeyeon’s diary.

“you can let her sleep here, just give her a blanket and some more pillows.” He said.

“ah, ne.” ryeowook agreed.

“you know what, I can clap and make noises around here and she won’t be able to hear a thing.” Ryewook continued when leeteuk carefully placed taeyeon’s journal beside her. “what did you actually talked about, she seemed so fed up.”

Leeteuk watched taeyeon’s breathing movements like an amused scientist.

“she actually slept just after five minutes of talking about tax.” he confessed, standing up. “I made her notes, just tell her tomorrow morning when she wakes.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARK KYUWON’S ROOM, PARK MANOR 7:45 am

“yes, I believe you wanted to see me?” mister park ushered taeyeon to take her seat.

“its just quick.” Taeyeon said, composing herself. She looked around the room and noticed that mister park’s study area resembled much like leeteuk’s room, Victorian setting with little gargoyles on the sides although the place smells more antique.

“I’m returning my weekly salaries to you.” Taeyeon handed mister park a long white envelope.

Mister park nodded and looked at the contents.

“its still untouched.” He said, surprised. “why?”

“I’m quitting as your agent.” Taeyeon said.”I’m quitting as park jungsu’s observer.”

“why?” mister park asked again. “we started this already, you’re the best candidate, I have never seen my son so transparent ever since you became my agent.”

Taeyeon nodded and composed herself by emanating few deep breaths.

“just a night ago, I became your son’s friend.” She said gently. “and I don’t want him to think that I’m befriending him for money, even if that was my motive from the start. “

“I want to start fresh, and be friends with him for real.” taeyeon continued. She will be laughing at herself later for being so risky and sacrificing a huge deal amount of money just for the title of friendship. But it doesn’t matter to her anymore.

“it’s an additional allowance that you’re going to discard, are you sure of this?” mister park intertwined his hands.

“I’m very sure of it.” taeyeon said.

“I’m actually glad that you’re friends with my son not because of money.” Mister park smiled. “but can you still tell me anything related to him so the transparency can be maintained?”

Taeyeon smiled too.

sunbaenim, I can’t promise that to you.” She said. “he’s your son, you should be the one approaching him when he does something wrong or if you see something wrong with him. But I can assure you that I will protect him from the vices he will do in the future.”

It would be protecting leeteuk without the money. She must be out of her mind for such risk.

“I guess you’reright.” Mister park sighed.

“and I have another plan.”

“I’m planning to pursue him abandon the affidavit he made from not undergoing surgeries.” Taeyeon continued, surprising him. “if heart transplant is the last option, then we will have to think of something to make him undergo the knife again.