CHAPTER 23

Heart and Soul

Park Kyuwon’s room, Park Manor

“what are you trying to talk about?” Park Kyuwon could almost feel his lips trembling at the mention of Heechul giving away his inheritance.

No, he didn’t like the idea at all.

The success of their company depends to both of his sons. And heechul must know how important it is that everything lies to his hands. Everything has been planned from the very beginning; he was destined for business. Fate, after all, has always been twisted. Mister park always knew that he cannot rely fully to leeteuk, especially towards his growing heart condition that is subjected to death.

But seeing and hearing heechul’s words faltering towards his mind, is not acceptable at all.

“father.” heechul sighed. He didn’t want to do this anymore. “you lied to me. you didn’t even tell me about leeteuk’s condition. The man is sick. How could you just let all things happen as if its easy?”

“I did that for the company. And you know how much it’ll benefit you too.”

“benefit to what?” heechul walked towards the end of mister park’s room and absent mindedly slid his hand towards a row of books. He turned to mister park, with a face full of disappointment and disgust. “benefit that I inherit millions while I let someone suffer? Father he’s your son too.”

“leeteuk cannot continue business.” Mister park explained. Everyone knows how degraded his body was. How a single breathing can be of much threat.

Heechul bit his lip.

“how can someone continue business if the father alone does not believe that he can recover?” he questioned, emphasizing the word “father” that almost sent mister park’s spine in shivers. “father, leeteuk’s determined to get well. I can tell it. I can see it in his eyes that he’s determined to undergo surgeries and stuff just to continue your business.”

“heechul.” Mister park inhaled a deep breath, unconsciously brushing his hair. “we just cannot rely to things that we are not certain. What you are thinking is subjective. Please understand me that I’m only doing this for you future.”

“and anticipating your son’s death to continue?”

“leeteuk was not even determined to get well before.” Mister park confessed. It had been instilled to him that leeteuk didn’t want to continue because of the untimely death of his mother and his first love.

“but leeteuk is determined now and we have to give him a chance.” Heechul said.

The second son of Mister Park didn’t even know what goes completely around leeteuk’s mind, but he had fate in him to a full extent of one hundred percent.

“I’m sorry.” Mister park said. “but I’m continuing my plan. You will remain to inherit the business.”

“and if leeteuk gets well?” heechul slammed the row of books shut. “you will just let me be a back up? Throw me again outside to the world where no one knows I’m your son?”

Mister park cannot utter a word that could completely match heechul’s statement.

“see.” Heechul rolled his eyes. “you don’t even know how to give both of us respect. It’s just like were a bunch of robots waiting to be operated.”

“son, please just understand me.”

“understand us first.” Heechul choked. He cannot do this anymore, he doesn’t want to cheat on his brother, he wants to fight with him. “when you know how to value jungsu hyung, that’s the time I will let you have my respect.”

Heechul headed towards the exit and slammed the door shut, leaving his father loss for words.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business office, International Student’s University

Taeyeon’s POV

Back to school again. When leeteuk was admitted to the hospital due to his incident with heechul, he wasn’t able to go to class for two days because he needed resting. Good thing he was able to recover a week after, and he had been more compliant with his food and medicines, a mention to frequent trips to the doctor and a check up on his heart.

I have nothing more to ask for than wishing for his good health to continue.

Unfortunately though, the heart centers I had visited didn’t have a heart compatible with his blood type. Leeteuk for a week had tried to visit some heart centers too. the task was divided properly between us, he went directly to heart centers while I stayed on the villa dialing up some numbers. I didn’t know why he had to personally go to places of sort, but I guess he’s really willing to explain what’s happening on him and why he needed such transplant to exist.

And now we’re back to our usual habit. School. leeteuk had been tasked to head a five member team composed of sungmin, eunhyuk, siwon and me.  quite like destiny because it involved the five of us who knew each other really well. The proposal project was all about planning a business product. So we were situated in one of the cubicles on the business office, thinking of a good concept. Heechul was tasked to head another team and seeing the look on his face, he was really determined to have a friendly competition on leeteuk.

“let’s see who gets the prize.” He laughed, punching leeteuk gently at the back.

Leeteuk rolled his eyes and resumed talking some of his business strategies on us.

I am quite competitive in this stuff too but leeteuk’s appearance really distracted me in some ways I cannot even imagine. The stylish brown hair, dark blue long polo and black slacks really suited him well. He looked like a young manager of a hotel, eager to start a business, with a clip folder dangling to his side.

yah, four eyes.” eunhyuk raised a hand. it was this point of time when we were almost finished brainstorming of ideas and leeteuk had just asked us what we wanted to say.

“four eyes?” leeteuk muttered.

“what’s wrong with four eyes?” eunhyuk grinned. “I have a question, what it the---“

“first of all, you don’ t call your leader such names.” Leeteuk pointed a finger at him. I slumped on the chair and partly hid my face under the table.

This is quite scary.

“continue.” Leeteuk said. eunhyuk cleared his throat and started throwing him with a question.

“good point.” Leeteuk said, upon hearing his query. “mister lee, can you think of anything to answer his question?”

“how about we compare different companies and see their common features?” sungmin answered. I could tell he’s nervous too. I guess we’ve been used to leeteuk’s gentleness that we forgot that a part of him is serious and business minded.

“how about mister choi?” leeteuk took a glance to his clip board and scribbled some notes.

“what mister lee mentioned is quite a great idea.” Siwon said. “if we compare we can see which is the best.”

I nodded in agreement and scribbled some ideas down on my notepad.

Leeteuk must have noticed me writing that he turned to ask me too.

“miss kim.” He said.

Miss kim? Its just like what he called me months ago.

“um…” I placed my pen on the table and made slight puff to my cheeks. “its also better not just to compare but to think of a product that resembles all from the top companies but produce the better version.”

“you mean, pirating?” leeteuk asked me.

“hell no babe.” I blurted. I cupped my mouth when I suddenly realized that we’re in the middle of a business meeting and leeteuk was eyeing me with a raised eyebrow upon my quick statement. Aigoo, its not my fault if calling him in an endearment is a reflex. “I mean, um, since were all about comparing and stuff, why don’t we just upgrade a version of it.”

 I could have really hid my face completely right now since eunhyuk, siwon and sungmin were trying to hide their giggles because of the name I called leeteuk unconsciously.

 “okay.” Leeteuk finished scribbling some words and pointed each to us one by one. “let’s divide by partners, mister choi and miss kim, and the two mister Lees. Let’s do it this way. One will make a comparison of the top brands while the other one will upgrade a product feature.”

Sounds like a good idea.

“I’ll see you all in thirty minutes.” Leeteuk said.

------------------------------

“how’s your team?”

“the best.”

Kim heechul smirked at the sight of leeteuk checking up on his clipboard while the two of them hang out at the library of the business office. The nine leaders were on the same place too, waiting for their team in their following cubicles to be finished working up on their product. The resulting product will be turned over to their leaders while the leaders themselves will present to the council of professors. Leeteuk had been used to this ever since he started his first year of business. And a little bit thanks to his father who gave him the opportunity to strategize on his own.

“my team wants to beat you.” Heechul confessed. He poured himself a cup of coffee as leeteuk invaded a couch to his left. “they said the unbeatable park jungsu should be at least be taken down for once by a kim heechul.”

Leeteuk smiled. “looks like they can sense you as my competition.” He said, crossing his legs. No doubt about it, kim heechul’s training in foreign business schools was superb.

“you should be afraid.”

“I’m more challenged.” Leeteuk said. he suddenly touched his heart and winced.

Heechul looked at him in concern.

yah, are you okay?” he asked, putting down his coffee. Leeteuk raised a palm, signaling him he’ s alright.

“arrhythmia.” He said, rubbing the pained area.

“there are medicines for that right?” heechul’s eyes were so large whenever he’s concern that it appeared almost to pop out from the sockets.

Leeteuk nodded and turned to open his bottled water.

“I’m okay, it happens all the time.” He assured him. “a lot worse than this.”

“people here must be wondering why I’m concerned.” Heechul guffawed, looking around. some leaders were looking at them, probably wondering about their swift closeness.

yah, hyung.”

“hmm?” leeteuk looked up from his clipboard.

hyung, I really like that calling.” Heechul smiled. leeteuk rolled his eyes, and placed a finger to his lips.

“I think father would still continue his plan.” Heechul said gently.

Leeteuk nodded again. he knew it’ll happen, and he had always prepared himself for such plans.

“do you have plans too?”heechul asked.

“I’m determined to get well.” Leeteuk said. “but the possibilities of the surgery and the transplant…”

He knew that operations are in fifty fifty percentages that he didn’t know what would happen next.

“when you get well, there’s no problem.” Heechul rationalized. “but when the worst case scenario happens…”

“you need to take over.”

Heechul looked at him in shock.

“are you sure?” he asked.

“there’s no other way but to let that happen.” Leeteuk said.

“I’m trained very well in this field.” Heechul said. “but taking over such a big business, I don’t know, I’m not used to this. And letting me inherit just seems like agreeing with father’s wish.”

“not really. Because you will not inherit the business alone.” Leeteuk said. “ I’m giving you a business partner.”

Heechul drank his coffee again.

“what do you mean?” he asked, as leeteuk stared curiously to the ground.

“we don’t know what will happen after my surgery.” The eldest son of mister park confessed. “but I have a plan in case something bad happens.”

He felt that it is the right moment to tell heechul what he thinks.

“Inyoung noona will be one of your business partners.” Leeteuk pointed a finger at him. “and another one, which I think will really benefit you, as long as she has to sign the contract before the surgery.”

“taeyeon?” heechul thought aloud.

“yes.” Leeteuk said. “taeyeon is really good, she will be a good business partner.”

“but father would---“

“he wouldn’t approve of it.” leeteuk said. “but I cannot leave taeyeon without giving her a part of me.”

He had a good thinking that taeyeon will be his perfect substitute since taeyeon is always accustomed to hard work.

“you think taeyeon will approve of it?”

“unfortunately.” Leeteuk said. “she will be ballistic.”

He had already imagined taeyeon’s would be reaction when asked if she would take over the business.

“I think father can sense my plan.” Leeteuk continued. “of course he will be satisfied if you take over but he wouldn’t really like the idea of taeyeon and noona getting a share towards the business.”

“then what do we do?” heechul asked.

Leeteuk looked at his brother and smiled.

“if plan B is necessary and must pursue.” He said, crossing his arms. “I just have to marry taeyeon and make her my property.”

------------------------------

Leeteuk compared both of siwon and sungmin’s products.

“who’s idea is this?” he asked, raising the document in front of their eyes.

Taeyeon was happily smiling at the corner. Siwon’s product proposal was primarily her idea and he just let her do the work without asking her too much.

“who’s idea?” leeteuk asked again.

taeyeon wrinkled her brows, it appeared something was wrong.

“that’s my idea.” She blurted from the other end of the table. maybe leeteuk would at least be biased since they are in a relationship.“something wrong?”

Leeteuk pursed his lips and tore the document much to her horror.

yah!” taeyeon shouted.

“I’ve seen this product in Thailand.” Leeteuk placed the torn document to table and sighed. “do another one.”

Siwon looked at taeyeon and bowed in apology.

“but that’s original!” taeyeon said. “I’ve thought of that for almost an hour and I did research on the web.”

“you didn’t research too much.” Leeteuk said back. Taeyeon could feel her heart being stabbed.

“do another research, type a document, and present it to me in thirty minutes.” Leeteuk said.

“but that’s awfully too short.”

“mister lee sungmin, who’s idea this is?” leeteuk ignored her and focused himself to another document.

Sungmin cleared his throat and raised his hand.

“very good.” Leeteuk commended. “the technical parts are really well thought. can you help miss kim, she is in need of assistance.”

Leeteuk crumpled taeyeon’s paper and threw the material to the waste basket, leaving sungmin’s document unmarked and clean.

“I’ll see you in thirty minutes.” He said again.

Siwon looked at taeyeon when leeteuk had left the cubicle.

“are you okay?” he asked, noticing taeyeon’s tears falling to her face.

“it was really original.” she choked, fighting back her emotions. “I didn’t know that it’s the same with the ones in Thailand.”

Eunhyuk rubbed her back and pushed a box of tissue to her front.

“maybe its coincidence that it matches another product.” He said gently, as taeyeon patted some tissue to her face. “but its okay, we still have thirty minutes, we can help you with it.”

“I’ll help you.” Sungmin volunteered.

“I really had no idea that hyung will be that tough.”  Siwon said, watching taeyeon curiously. “even to his girl friend.”

“there’s no girlfriend in business.” Sungmin said, comforting taeyeon. “taengoo, let’s do this, we don’t have much time.”

Taeyeon nodded and blinked her eyes several times. Maybe leeteuk had a personal reason why he wanted to have the proposal renewed.

“okay.” She said. “let’s.”

------------------------------

Leeteuk scanned taeyeon’s document up and down.

“your idea?” he asked her. taeyeon nodded and looked away when leeteuk noticed the puffiness on her lids.

He wrinkled his brows and scanned the document again. taeyeon could feel the nerves of her body tingling with frightening sensation comparable to watching horror movies. It was like the same feeling she felt upon stepping at leeteuk’s room for the first time.

Leeteuk was sitting with his head down at the library that she had no idea what to expect from his face.

All she can hear was his breathing and the sound of his exhalation to his nostrils.

“where are the others?” leeteuk suddenly looked up and referred to the other members.

“at t-the c-cubicle.” Taeyeon said, making her beau almost flinch to the sound of her nervous voice.

Leeteuk nodded and handed the paper to her trembling hands.

“I finished reading. this is really good.” He commended. Taeyeon heaved out a sigh and could feel happiness suddenly creeping her system.

At last, she thought. after five times of repeating the proposal and being rejected.

“I’m ready to present these two products to the council.” Leeteuk told her and she nodded.

“this is really good, this is what I really expect from you.” Leeteuk gazed at her. taeyeon bit her lip and looked away to hide her puffed eyes.

“you cried because of this?” leeteuk asked when he stood up, leveling her. taeyeon shook her head in lie. She cannot expose his weakness to him. She knew how businessminded he is.

“n-no.” was all she said, when leeteuk was suddenly leaning his face towards hers.

“are you sure?” leeteuk asked again. she looked at him in her exposed puffy eyes and he was really taken aback by such appearance that he quickly held taeyeon in his arms.

She was in shock.

“why did you have to act that way?” taeyeon asked, fighting back her tears. Since when she became a cry baby? She was the tough hearted taeyeon. But its as if leeteuk has a magic that could really tear her heart into pieces.

“I’m sorry dear, business is really a no friendly aspect.” Leeteuk rubbed her back as taeyeon submerged her face to his chest. Taeyeon could feel her happy hormones getting back again since leeteuk’s behavior suddenly returned to the leeteuk that she wanted.

This is the leeteuk that she missed, the whole day they were doing the project.

“you have to be tough when it comes to this times.” Leeteuk told her gently. “I’m sorry that I have to be hard on you but I was just training you.”

“training for what?” taeyeon wiped the tear from her eyes.

“for your future bosses.” Leeteuk said. “I just don’t want you coming up to me and complaining about the treatment you will be getting from them. “

“okay.”

“and you have to get used to me because family issues are definitely  way out on this.” he smiled when  taeyeon broke off his hug. Taeyeon understood the statement in an instant that she made a poke to his chest.

yah, its as if I’d marry you.” She blurted.

“oh but I would.” He winked.

-----------------------------

Park Kyuwon’s room, Park Manor

Taeyeon’s POV

Leeteuk had just presented two business proposal products to the council later in the afternoon and the treatment he just gave me the whole day paved off. It appeared that our proposals were of really great importance and the council was really impressed with the products that they decided to let us do something more about it. leeteuk presented the matter really well, as if he knew the products by heart and he was really able to answer questions from other team leaders, sweeping heechul off his feet.

And I realized that he was just being tough because he wanted to see me do the work in my real effort and hard work. After all the things went through, and team winning the first place, the unbeatable Park Jungsu managed to be on top again.

“I’ll beat you next time.” I heard heechul mouthed on him. Heechul won the second place, but it appeared that he was really impressed with his hyung.

So leeteuk with me and his friends went to a nearby restaurant to celebrate, with heechul around of course. This was the point of time where leeteuk introduced heechul as part of his family, and eunhyuk, sungmin and siwon were staring at the two in an unbelievable way. Of course things still have to be kept in secret and talkative eunhyuk cannot mention something to hyoyeon.

I didn’t know what went through mister park’s mind that he called for me at this point of time when leeteuk and I headed back home. leeteuk didn’t know that his father called for me because he immediately excused himself to deal on other important matters before I could say something about it.

“take a seat taengoo.” Mister park ushered.

I took a seat on the chair opposite mister park’s table and looked at the old man in a confused way. Its been a while though, that I have been in his room. when I was an agent, who worked for him because of leeteuk, I frequently made reports to him on this place. But now, it seems that a lot of time had passed already.

“what is it that you want to talk about sir?” I asked.

“taengoo.” Mister park began. I inclined my head more to hear what he wants to say. “I am requesting you something I wish for you to oblige.”

“oblige?” I asked. Mister park nodded and began to exhale out a sigh.

“you probably know about leeteuk’s status in my family business right?” mister park continued.

I nodded. Of course I knew a lot, everything that leeteuk told me about his stand.

“I presume that you also know about heechul replacing jungsu for the inheritance.”

“you get me straight to the point sir.” I said.

Mister park closed his eyes for the moment and let it open again.

“I want you to break up with my son, Jungsu.” he said.

What??

“jungsu is in a grave condition and I don’t want him harmed from anything if he continues the business.” Mister park explained to me. I wrinkled my brows, trying to digest what he said, but I cannot. The break up words seemed floating around my head.

“miss kim, this point of time, the future of my business is nowhere.” Mister park continued. “both of my sons didn’t like the idea of replacing each other at all. Even heechul who first agreed sided on leeteuk immediately, leaving me for nothing. I know that you can understand me.”

“you want me to break up with your son but at the same time you still have plans of letting heechul to inherit your business.” I said. “that’s what I get. But I don’t get why I have to break up. I’m not doing anything. And If heechul gets everything, what’s the point?”

“the point is.” mister park bit his lip. “if I let leeteuk retain his inheritance, I have to make sure that no one harms him before he gets to his surgery and that includes his relationship with you. At this time, I am really more inclined of giving the inheritance to heechul. But leeteuk as my legitimate son has the right to interfere with my policies and he still has the stand to make a decision to pursue what he wants.”

“but I am not doing anything harmful for leeteuk.” I defended myself. I’ve been caring for him all throughout.

“miss kim.” Mister park said. “a relationship is fatal to anyone who has a heart condition. Anything that excites or hurt a person could be dangerous.”

I curled my hands into a fist, trying to control my temper from springing out.

“I am sorry but I am not going to break up with him.” I finalized.

“miss kim, jungsu is si—“

“leeteuk is more fine when I am around.” I cut him off. “you already took everything from him. You just cannot take away what he wants. You are his father, you should understand him more.”

“I’m sorry, but I really cannot take this.” I said, standing up. With a forced manner, I  made a bow and quickly headed for the exit.

-----------------------------

leeteuk’s room, Park Manor

leeteuk’s head almost jerked at the sound of taeyeon slamming the door shut. He was busy scribbling notes on his black velvet journal when his girlfriend, who appeared somewhat furious, immediately headed to the closet. It was his first time seeing her like that, which on some extent, provided him a little tinge of amusement.

“hey, hey.” Leeteuk hurriedly went to his closet too. he found his girl walking in circles around the room, with her hands at her hips.

Taeyeon stopped and rummaged her hands towards his drawer and put out some clothes.

“what are you doing?” leeteuk asked. “taeyeon.”

But Taeyeon didn’t respond and instead put out a mini suitcase available at his rack. She placed the clothes she picked for leeteuk, more of the pastel colors instead of the dark ones and heaved out a sigh.

“what’s wrong?” leeteuk tried to calm her up.

He leaned next to his girlfriend, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“can we just go some place with fresh air?” taeyeon looked at him. “like a resort or something.”

“resort?” leeteuk cringe his brows for such statement.  “what’s the problem, are you alright?”

 “I need fresh air.” She said. “just follow me, will you.”

“fine.” Leeteuk said gently.

“you tell me the score later okay?” he said, motioning towards the intercom. Leeteuk pressed a number relating to the servant’s headquarters. “yes, please tell the driver to prepare my car at the fountain in ten minutes.”

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon sat on one of his chairs and extended both her hands towards leeteuk. She was just so angry at his father that she cannot bear to see or hear about him.

Leeteuk nodded and dialed a number,

“what are you doing?” It was taeyeon’s turn to question his actions.

Leeteuk placed a finger to his lips and listened intently on his phone. taeyeon looked at him in awe at the way he spoke.

“three hour drive. Is it okay with you?” leeteuk put off his phone. “its my place, exclusive.”

“anywhere without distractions.” Taeyeon said, referring to mister park.

Leeteuk nodded again and looked at his suitcase.

“pack more.” He told her. “we’ll be gone in a week.”