CHAPTER 25

Heart and Soul

Park Kyuwon’s room, Park Manor

Park Kyuwon wrinkled his brows at the mention of his agent telling him about the whereabouts of his son, Jungsu. its been almost a week since he left the estate unguarded with kim taeyeon and it troubled him a lot knowing about his son’s condition. The sickness creeping in his son’s heart was enough for him to worry too much. Leeteuk’s stubbornness, after all, must have been the culprit. it tensed him more knowing that the area is secluded, and he didn’t even know where to find it. Park Jungsu  is a real competition when it comes to hiding his territories unknown to him, and it must be because of his constant intrusion to his lifestyle that his son opted to hide areas of importance to him.

“He owned the resort years ago right?” Mister park asked his agent in black suit, who just nodded at the prodding. Mister park sighed and irritatingly threw his documents he was currently holding at the table.

Leeteuk’s intelligence really bothered him at this point of time making him almost regret of sending him to school to develop his skills at the young age of 3.

“it was reported that mister Park Jungsu’s resort was a supposed to be gift to his estranged girlfriend.” The agent nodded.

Mister park nodded and scribbled some notes on his pad.

“make sure to deliver this to the head agent.” he said. “and I want to talk to the manager of the resort, I need my son to be here within twenty four hours.”

“but sir, it is impossible because of the rai---“

“even if takes you seven hours reaching that place I don’t care.” Mister Park blurted.

He really didn’t care. All he care about is his son’s health and the assurance that he is well. He is the successor after all.

The helpless agent didn’t know what to do but obliged at his boss’ statement.

“right away sir.” he said, heading for the door.

---------------------------

Beach area, Park Resort

“teuk.”

“leeteuk…”

“park jungsu!”

“what?” leeteuk was startled upon taeyeon’s sudden mention of his name.

“you’ve been staring at waters for a long time.” Taeyeon snapped. “what are you thinking?”

Leeteuk shrugged and paced his body towards his girlfriend. Taeyeon was keeping herself busy piling up sands at the shore. The sands piled up resembled more of a mountain than a typical castle.

“nothing.” He said. was he really thinking about nothing? But something within him felt that something isn’t right.

Taeyeon stopped piling up sands and approached him nearby.

“yo.” She said, removing her shades. “what’s wrong?”

“I’m just feeling that something isn’t right.” leeteuk confessed, reaching out for her hand.

“what’s not right?”

“I don’t know.” Leeteuk removed his shades too. “we were almost a week out, and I never told my father about it.”

“so you’re thinking that---“

“I think he knew where we are.” He said. “I just feel it.”

Of course his father would freak out finding him out of town and worse, without telling him. But how should he tell him when the primary purpose of going out the beach was because to stay away from his controlling behavior?

“what are you a psychic?” taeyeon interrupted his thoughts.

“no.” leeteuk laughed. “well, its my first time being out without father knowing about this place. You see I secluded this area from his agents because this is a really big property.”

“I don’t t know how to say this. But you are definitely busted.” Taeyeon said.

---------------------------

Seoul community church

Tiffany looked around the church and admired again the stain glasses of doves and birds and the image of the Holy Father together with the other saints. This was her first time invading such place, and the serenity of the area already made her peaceful inside, making her calm and blissful. And what’s more blissful than praying together with someone who felt the same way? Tiffany giggled at the sight of Siwon muttering prayers under his breath.

 

Siwon too, had always loved tiffany’s presence everytime he visits the church. Tiffany would just sit there and watch him kneel and mutter his prayers, but the gesture alone already made him happy. Religion is something that he really wanted to share with others, especially to the love of his life. he was glad that he was able to share insights with her while reading the Bible too.

“what are you praying for?” tiffany asked, when siwon situated himself next to her after praying. Siwon, the ever gentleman, only smiled and held her hands onto his lap.

“praying for my family, for you.” He said. “and for teukie hyung’s recovery too.”

ne, oppa definitely needs your prayers.” Tiffany said. she too, would want leeteuk’s condition to be good too, since leeteuk is an important existence for her sister and she wouldn’t want taeyeon to be sad.

“teukie hyung and taeyeon are not home yet, right?” siwon suddenly asked.

Tiffany nodded and placed her bible towards the side.

“there’s chaos at the estate recently.” She confessed. “Park sunbaenim, didn’t know where oppa and taeyeon unni are.”

“he didn’t ask you?” siwon asked. “I am surprised.”

“he asked us.” tiffany said. “but neither us could tell the place. Imagine my nerve telling him how innocent I am. “

Siwon nodded.

“he believed in you then?”

“well, he has to. I’m telling him the truth anyways.” Tiffany said.

Siwon stretched out his right leg near the other pew.

“uncle is really like his son in many aspects.” He said, gently hitting the wood to the side. “he wouldn’t stop til he get what he wants.”

“anyways.” Tiffany changed the topic. “where are we going after this?”

“I actually…” siwon smiled. “have a surprise for you.”

Tiffany cupped .

omo, what surprise?” she asked excitedly.

Siwon grinned.

“you will be dining with me at the hotel.” he said. “with my parents.”

“parents?” tiffany suddenly looked shocked at the idea.

“you are surprised.”

“but I am not properly dressed!” tiffany hissed. She looked helplessly at her pink floral dress and wedge shoes. Even forgetting her jacket along the way would make her appear a care free girl to siwon’s parents.

aigoo, they will like you.” Siwon assured her. “if I liked you since the first day I saw you. What more them?”

“are you sure?” tiffany looked at him with a puppy eyes. according to Siwon, his parents had always been understanding when it comes to relationship matters. She would hope that the notion would still apply least.

“of course.” Siwon said. “since I promised them that they will be meeting my future wife.”

---------------------------

Dance room, International student’s university

Yoona extended her arms to both sides at the level of her shoulders and made a pivotal move around the dance floor. One hand began to dangle on the side while the other hand moved on top of her head. She can feel classical music gently embracing the good atmosphere of the studio, and dancing alone would be really of benefit for practicing for the upcoming dance contest.

Yoona glided all the way to the dance floor and hummed to the music of Beethoven enveloping the room. Classical music sure makes her feel energetic and calm. Just the sound of the violins and the piano in harmony with one another produces an ecstatic effect. she didn’t know just when did she start loving classical music. Probably because of her love to dancing that all kinds of music just made her want to move more.

Yoona made another pivotal turn and closed her eyes upon the gentle breeze of her movement. She didn’t notice that upon closing her lids, someone was already watching.

Her every move.

“bravo.” Donghae clapped his hands and bowed at the sight of a startled yoona looking at him.

oppa’s cousin.” Yoona said back when donghae closed the door behind him and situated himself next to the music player.

Donghae wrinkled his nose in a gesture that made yoona smile.

“um, you can drop the cousin word and call me donghae oppa instead.” Donghae said.

“what are you doing here anyways?”

“am I suppose to ask you that too?” donghae said back.

Yoona paced towards the music player and turned it off.

“I practice here.” she said, cannot believe that she was divulging information to an acquaintance. Unconsciously, she pulled the clip holding her hair, making her mane dazzle infront of Donghae’s eyes.

“um.” Donghae scratched his head. “I-I practice here too.”

“now.” He continued, looking at the cd player.

Yoona laughed.

“you’re funny.” She said, unaware of donghae’s gape towards her hair.

Donghae shook his head put his hand to the both sides of his hips.

“are you a good dancer?” he changed the topic.

 “of course.” yoona said, rather proudly. “I win every dance contests. Classical, ballet, tap dance, hiphop division, whatever genre you mention.”

“great.” Donghae huffed. Situating himself with a talented girl really would just make his guts lessen.

“how about you?” yoona asked.

“I only do street dancing.”

“oh yeah?” yoona smiled and turned to open her cd bag. “then dance for me.”

“now?”

“yep.” Yoona plugged in a cd that rolled instantly when she closed the lid. “I think you will be great.”

---------------------------

Park Beach Resort

Leeteuk bit his lip at the sight of a brown scrap book appearing before his eyes.

“what’s this?” he asked taeyeon.

“you wouldn’t know if you don’t open.” Taeyeon said.

Leeteuk smiled and opened the miniature book and saw taeyeon’s handwriting all over the place. The first page was a collage picture of taeyeon during her years at the school standing with different kinds of colored uniforms. The same cute button nose, huge eyes and thin lips. taeyeon in the pictures looked like she didn’t change a single bit.

“I made it since I was in middle school.” She added, as leeteuk’s eyes scrolled up and down on the contents.

“you made this poem?”

“yep.” Taeyeon nodded. “It’s a hobby of mine, I think I forgot to tell you.”

eyes like a stone, the face of Adonis brims with smile for the first time.” Leeteuk read aloud. He looked at taeyeon and smiled again. “this is your description of me?”

“just exaggerating, you know.” Taeyeon teased. But deep in her heart he resembled a god.

“baby you have talent with this.” Leeteuk scanned the book and looked for the next topics. “you should write more.”

“maybe when I have free time.” Taeyeon said. “you know, after I get a proper donor.”

“okay.” Leeteuk nodded and continued scanning the poems and pictures. He cannot believe that taeyeon had a knack with writing poems and stories. Even the art decorations were superb, making him admire her potentials more. He knew it, taeyeon has always been a gifted girl.

At the last page of the scrap book, however, he saw a blotched handwritten poem about his heart condition. He stopped at the description of taeyeon writing about his sickness.

“Its so painful for you, huh?” he asked in a low voice .taeyeon nodded and looked at the distance.

“saves enough pain.” She said. “writing stuff about you.”

She didn’t know about leeteuk’s future, the consequences, the chances. Everything looked like it will depend on a chance. And how about her future too? she cannot help but to think of so many possibilities.

“I’ll fight for you.” Leeteuk said. “even if I have to go abroad to have a heart donor or get my surgery there.”

“I know that.” she smiled weakly. “I just don’t like the feeling, you know. Anyways why are we thinking of this, we are on a vacation.”

Taeyeon pouted at her beau and touched the tip of his nose.

“do you know that you are so beautiful?” Leeteuk suddenly said.

“I know right?” taeyeon laughed. “you don’t need to tell me that all the time.”

“just reminding you.”

Taeyeon looked at the scrapbook and nudged her head towards their room situated a few meters away.

“hey.” She said. “maybe we should take pictures. I’ll take your pictures. Souvenir.”

“you want me to get my camera?” leeteuk asked.

“maybe later.” Taeyeon said. “and I want to take good pictures. Don’t be a kill joy.”

“my pictures are always good.” Leeteuk managed to say innocently, so innocent that taeyeon couldn’t help but to laugh her heart out all over the place.

“what?” leeteuk wrinkled his brows.

Taeyeon cupped to stop herself from laughing too hard.

“you’re so cute.” She said. “bragging stuff about yourself.”

“can I not brag if it’s the truth?” leeteuk pinched her tummy.

“mister park.”

Leeteuk and taeyeon both turned around and was surprised to see a familiar looking man in white suit. Leeteuk squinted and knew that his speculations were right.

It was mister Park’s head agent.

“hey.” Leeteuk tried to maintain his calmness by gracefully standing up to level with the agent’s gaze.

“your father.” the man began. “told me to fetch you here.”

---------------------------

Kangnam district

It was ryeowook’s first time out of the estate ever since he worked as the villa’s cook. without sunny of course, since the latter was out with Sungmin at an amusement park. Now, he could see himself wandering around the streets of kangnam, doing nothing but to look out of the area. Kangman district, had always been a nice place to visit because of the bright lights emanating from the stores during the night, the chains of restaurants with lingering smell of spice and meat, and the sound of buses and cars honking to the traffic. Everything just resembled a good old city. Ryeowook had donned himself a fashionable outfit for the day since the salary he had earned was more than enough for him to live.

Ryeowook stopped by a restaurant and watched on its rear side a chef straining a bundle of hot noodles.

the chef looked really happy displaying his skills in public, since the large clear glass separating him from the passersby would enable him to expose his talents.

annyeong.” Ryeowook bowed. The chef bowed too and continued straining the noodles.

Ryeowook clapped his hands and resumed staring at the wonders of the noodles being taken out from the strainer. How the chef delicately transfers the hot noodles with only gloves, he didn’t know. He must have been doing the routine for ages. After all, the Italian restaurant seemed vintage.

Ryeowook was late to notice that somebody was clapping her hands too. he only noticed when the girl accidentally dropped her coins from clapping and she had to get the rolling coin near his side.

Ryeowook stared at the tall girl with a pink bonnet and gray sweats. She looked really amazed at the scene too.

“you too?” ryeowook asked.

“its probably your first time here.” the girl muttered. “I am always here everytime the chef does that.”

“really?” ryeowook unconsciously touched the pocket of his sweater.

ne.” the girl beamed. “my name is soo young.”

“ryewook.” Ryeowook said, accepting her hand. “looks like you’re fond of eating.”

“I am?” soo young touched her cheek. “omo, my actions look that obvious huh?”

“its cute.” Ryeowook smiled, and suddenly questioned himself for complimenting a stranger. Soo young laughed unbeknownst to his behavior.

“I think I have a good metabolism for an explanation.” She said. “are you from kangnam?”

“no.” ryeowook said. “I live at the park estate.”

“park estate??” soo young blurted.

Ryeowook wrinkled his brows. Did he say something wrong?

“I know that place is pretty popular.” He said, knowing how big the estate is. “but you looked really surprised.”

“teukie oppa!” sooyoung snapped her fingers. “teukie oppa lives there right?”

“if you’re talking about the invincible park jungsu, ne.” it was ryeowook’s turn to be surprised. “hyung owns the place.”

“argh, I knew it.” soo young said. she fumbled for her pocket and took out a pink laminated card. “I am the secretary of his fan club. You probably know taengoo unni too, she’s the treasurer.”

Ryeowook snickered at the thought of taeyeon owning a pink card too.

“yeah. Taengoo is my bestfriend.”

aigoo!” sooyoung laughed. “this is such a small world! I love taeyeon unni!”

“me too.” ryeowook chuckled. “its nice knowing you by the way.”

“how about I treat you out, since you’re unni’s bestfriend.” Sooyoung said matter o factly.

Ryeowook blushed and stared at soo young consciously.

“you’d do that?”

“are guys only the ones treating girls out?” she said, reaching for his arm. “I am different.”

---------------------------

“teuk.”

Taeyeon looked at leeteuk with concern in the eyes. leeteuk, who had been silent all through out the drive, was staring blankly at the window sill, only marked by a tinge of confusion  upon the way his eyebrows were slightly curled downwards reaching to the middle area of his forehead. Taeyeon too, had been silent. She didn’t know how to handle such things about mister park’s sudden retrieval of them at the resort.

“baby.” Leeteuk said, under his breath. He began to hold taeyeon’s hand and pierced his eyes towards her.

“I know its not the right moment to say this.” He said. “but…”

“what?” taeyeon wanted to know.

Leeteuk’s grip on her hand further tightened and glanced towards the border of the car that separated them from the driver. Leeteuk returned his gaze to taeyeon.

“miss kim.” He said. “I want to marry you.”

Taeyeon felt as if the world suddenly stopped between them.

“what?” she said, didn’t know what to say too.

“I want to marry you.” Leeteuk continued. “I want to be married to you now.”

“what, now?” taeyeon removed her hand from leeteuk’s grasp and bit her lip. “park jungsu, what are you saying. Don’t tell me this is because of your father?”

Taeyeon crossed her arms and saw leeteuk’s eyes glistening. He seemed like he was in pain.

“teuk.” Taeyeon began. “i can’t even think properly right now and you’re telling me things as if its easy. Tell me, what are you thinking?”

“why are you telling me this?” she said in a low tone, afraid that the driver might hear.

“heenim and I.” leeteuk said. “have thought of a plan so father could not engage his full authority on me succeeding him. And this involves me marrying you.”

Taeyeon looked at him in shock.

“yes, I know, the idea is definitely way out of control.” Leeteuk said. “but taeng, this is the only way that I can give my self to you.”

“teuk, its not easy.” Taeyeon said. “I just cant easily give my hand to you and succumb myself to your wish.”

“taeng, I know  this is we—“

“park jungsu, I will not marry you.” Taeyeon said, firm in her stand. “I will not marry you just because you want to stop your father’s plan.”

“its not just because of that.” leeteuk said. “its also for your future. And for my siblings.”

“what, and let me think that you’re doing this to have your last will and testament?” taeyeon wrinkled her brows. Leeteuk closed his eyes and slumped his body on the car.

“teuk.” Taeyeon said.

“you’re important to me, taeng.”

“but its just telling me that you’re leaving me.” taeyeon said.

Leeteuk held her hand again.

“I am not leaving you.” He said. “I just want to make sure, to have all possibilities.”

“possibilities?” taeyeon looked at him. “teuk, if your plan goes well, suppose I’d marry you, but the possibilities of surgery. It wont make a difference because you are still leaving me.”

Of course leeteuk’s siblings would benefit but the idea of her being widowed is too much.

“teuk, we just cant make a plan like this which would likely to involve chaos in the future.” Taeyeon said.

Leeteuk sighed, closed his eyes and had them opened again when taeyeon firmed a grip on his arm.

“okay.” He said.since she really didn’t want the idea to continue. “fine, I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too.” taeyeon said. “but I just cant make your plan work. Are you mad at me?”

“mad? No.” leeteuk said. he extended his arms and enveloped taeyeon’s body towards his. “I am sorry. I wont do this again. I’m being selfish.”

“you’re not being selfish.” Taeyeon hushed.”you’re just being you, caring for others. I am really sorry babe.”

“I understand.”

Leeteuk nodded and continued patting taeyeon’s back. With a look towards the windows, and a glimpse towards the uncertain future, a tear dropped in his eye.

---------------------------

Park Kyuwon’s room, Park Manor

Leeteuk closed the door behind him and carefully paced towards his father on the study area. The middle aged businessman, who seemed waiting for him for quite a while now, was eyeing him with an expression of disappointment and a hint of dismay. Leeteuk noticed this in an instant, after all, he had been with his father for a long time, and he knew the times where the chairman of the Park steel and oil industries would react everytime dissatisfaction envelops him.

“you have a long explanation to make.” Was Park kyuwon’s immediate reply when leeteuk invaded a space across him.

“I have nothing to explain to you.”

Mister park’s brows wrinkled.

“you were in that resort almost a week.” He managed to say, in a voice that sounded like rising. Leeteuk smirked and crossed his arms.

“why does it concern you?” he asked in a tone of iciness.

“don’t fool around me.” mister park removed his glasses and placed aside the folders he was reading. “we all know definitely that you’re not allowed to go out without telling me. you are my successor and you have a heart condition. Its just not right for you.”

“I can do anything what I want.” Leeteuk said.

“I am your father.”

“its just a name.” leeteuk pierced his eyes. “don’t tell me you fully made your obligations towards us. “

“who are you to tell me that?!” mister park slammed his hands on the table and leaned towards the sitting leeteuk with a furious stare. “you don’t know how much I sacrificed to build this empire. How I almost sweated blood and tears just to have your operations to be successful.”

 “you did that because you were guilty that mother had a heart attack because of your adultery.” leeteuk said sarcastically.

Mister Park slapped his son’s face with his palm.

“you didn’t even know why I did that.” he said, with a fist forming in his right hand. leeteuk’s eyebrows wrinkled and touched the reddened area with his trembling fingers. “you didn’t even know how lonely I am finding out that your mother’s life was in a critical condition that time.”

“are you just plain stupid, father?” leeteuk said. “you know mother was sick that time and all you could think about is yourself! tell me. did you think that spending a night drunk with a woman could heal your hurt? Didn’t you even think how mother would feel that time knowing that you didn’t go home? and when you fought with her when you went home because she was asking where you were, weren’t you even thinking how painful it is for her heart? “

“and do you know how much it hurts me that time seeing you spend time with another woman everytime you take me to the hospital?” leeteuk could still feel the agony lingering to his heart at the moments where his mister park would bring a woman with doctor song to the clinic.

Mister Park shook his head and suddenly pressed the intercom button to his left.

“what are you doing?” leeteuk gaped.

yah, what are you doing!” the park eldest son almost shouted. But too late. Mister park already called for Inyoung and Hyoyeon to come inside the room.

“they need to know now.” Mister park ignored leeteuk touching his heart.

“father.” inyoung entered the room with a curious hyoyeon in tow.

“what’s happening?” hyoyeon asked.

“girls.” Mister park said as leeteuk stood up and faced his sisters.

“do not mention a word or I’ll sue you.” Leeteuk dared his father.

“girls.” Mister park ignored him again. “I have something to tell you.”

“tell us.” hyoyeon said quickly. “it looks like you really have something to say.”

Leeteuk bit his lip and closed his eyes. he didn’t like this at all. The appearance of his sisters innocently staring back at the situation pained him too much.

“I have something to tell you about jungsu’s inheritance.” Mister park mentioned.

Inyoung and hyoyeon remained silent and tried themselves to listen to their father’s upcoming statement.

“jungsu, you see, is 50 percent incapable of succeeding me.” mister park said. “I am in the midst of replacing him with someone I know will be of benefit for the company.”

“benefit, that someone has to come from the family right?”

“well, he is from the family.” Mister park answered Inyoung’s query. “I’d like you to know him.”

Mister Park pressed another button from his intercom and signaled someone to comeover. Leeteuk had sensed that everything was according to the old man’s plan.

Kim heechul entered the area with two body guards firmly gripping his arms. They seemed like carrying him, and heechul appeared forced. His brows were meeting on the center of his forehead, his lips were pursed from the agony of the two guards towing him. He eyed leeteuk with an apologetic stare.

“you old man, I told you I’m not doing this!”heechul shouted when he got near the table. he tried to yank free, but the strong force of two huge men carrying him was too much.

“inyoung, hyoyeon.” Mister park waved his hand towards heechul.

“what’s the meaning of this?” hyoyeon managed to say.

Leeteuk touched his heart and felt an ultimate wringing sensation of pain emanating from every beat.

“please.” He begged mister park. “don’t do this, its not yet time.”

Its not yet time for his sisters to know. The two of the park siblings who were for years innocent about the other family produced a banging sensation to leeteuk’s heart.

Inyoung stared at heechul and knew instantly from the silence that something had taken place.

“is this what I think it is?” she blurted. What’s this? She thought. and why did leeteuk never mentioned a single thing about it?

Mister park smiled and turned his gaze towards heechul.

“yes, yes. heechul right here will be a good replacement for jungsu..” He said, feeling his triumph. “girls, he’s your other brother.”