CHAPTER 15

Heart and Soul

Music Room, Park Manor

Twenty years ago

Leeteuk’s POV

My eomma. Everytime I look at her, I would always have a smile engraved on my face. her long beautiful dark hair would always flow with her everytime she would take me in her arms for embrace. My mother and i… are inseparable. I don’t know how I became a mother’s boy but I wouldn’t replace the title for the world. She was always the one who let me feel so alive and strong even if we were both trapped in a disease. My mother. She is my pillar of strength.

I sat on the piano stool watching my mother play my favorite song. It was her song for me,  because she always thought that both of us are connected not just by the umbilical cord that proved she is my true mother, but because of the heart and the soul that strengthens both of us.

That’s why the first time she played that song, it became an instant hit to my trembling heart.

“eomma.” I was seated on the right side of my mother as she continued touching the piano keys with her graceful hands. “I always listen to that song, can you teach me now how to play it?”

Although I knew how to play the piano, and I somewhat memorized the movements of the keys that were touched everytime the song was played, I would still favor my mother to teach me.

Eomma smiled at me and took out a brown music sheet at her folder.

“now this.” She said, as she show me the music sheet. “is a very old piano piece, so you better take care of this. I’m giving this to you and at the same time, I’ll teach you your favorite song.”

I looked at the music sheet and scanned the notes little by little.

“I didn’t know that it has lyrics.” I said in awe. The words of the song, reminded me of a typical couple serenading each other.

“ne.” eomma nodded. “that song, is supposed to be a song for someone you love.”

“but its your song for me too.”

“well, it can also be a mother’s song for her little boy.” She winked at me. “but someday, I know you won’t be young forever, and I won’t be surprised if you play that song for someone when you grow up.”

I shrugged and cupped my chin.

“you’ll know when I’ll play it.” I said to her.

My mother looked at me in the eyes and planted me a peck on the forehead.

“you try to play first with your right hand.” she said, placing my fingers to the keys. “then I’ll sing with you, would you like that?”

“okay.” I counted one to five in a whisper and started playing the music.

“Heart and soul

I fell in love with you heart and soul

The way a fool would do madly

Because you held me tight

And stole a kiss in the night.”

When the song was over, I was the one clapping my hands.

“eomma, you sing really well.” I said, grinning.

------------------------------------

Taeyeon’s room, Park Villa

Taeyeon blinked her eyes open.

What did she do last night? Well, she remembered herself drying her hair before she slept. It was a usual routine for her anyways, although sometimes she would ask herself again her activities before she sleeps. But her jaw, it seemed she talked a lot because it felt different, with a bit ache on the joints itself. Taeyeon yawned and stretched herself, starting from her hands hitting the bed board all the way to her toes touching the sheets. She fumbled the space of the bed next to her. it was still warm and creased, as if a person had just slept on it. Wait. Taeyeon cringe her brows at the thought. Warm?

She cupped in panic.

Leeteuk.

Park jungsu had slept next to her last night because he was bugging her for his sleeping problems. Taeyeon tried to remember what happened more. She remembered leeteuk asking her a lot of stories. They even talked about some of their childhood memories, as well as some parts of puppy love themselves.  It was her story of a piano teacher and a touch in his heart that made him sleep. And she had no choice but to let him stay. But where is he?

Taeyeon scanned her room, narrowing her eyes, and found leeteuk reading a purple notebook at the chair beside her. he was in his usual cross legged position, a favorite of his everytime he enjoys what he reads.

“morning.” he greeted, not taking his eyes of the material. Taeyeon looked at the notebook once more and realized that it was her own.

yah!” taeyeon sat up. “what are you doing to my diary?”

“um, reading?”

Taeyeon bit her lip and snatched the notebook away.

“don’t read this.” She said in an angry tone. “this is not yours. And this is very private.”

“but I just finished reading it.” he said. there was something in his eyes that looked like he was amused to the material he just read.

aish.” Taeyeon bit her lip in dismay. What a morning for her.

“anyways did you have breakfast?” she asked, changing the topic. She wouldn’t want to get furious at leeteuk again. she did invaded his privacy back then.

Leeteuk shook his head.

“I was up early because I was watching you sleep.” He said, joining her at the bed. “and accidentally found your diary under my pillow so there I was at the chair reading at dawn. Anyways, you can’t hide anything from me now because I learned a lot.”

He smiled and messed up taeyeon’s hair.

yah, what are you doing?” taeyeon quickly ran her fingers through her hair to prevent him from further messing.

“did you know that people have shinier hair in the morning?” he asked.

Taeyeon shook her head.

“what did you see?” she diverted his attention towards the diary she was still holding, curious of what he learned.

Leeteuk shrugged and pursed his lips.

“everything.” He said. “every words written on there, I think I’ve memorized them myself.”

taeyeon sighed and submerged her face to her hands.

“ugh, this is not good.”

“what’s not good?” leeteuk bent over to remove her hands. “that you skipped a semester in college, worked at market and night clubs? Drooled over sleep?”

Taeyeon quickly touched the side of her lips to see if she had a drool mark.

“that’s normal.” Leeteuk said. “everything you wrote there is you.”

“I have nothing to hide.” Taeyeon pouted, rubbing her eyes.

“I have nothing to hide from you too because of what you did.” Leeteuk said. “so were pretty even.”

Taeyeon wrinkled her nose and smiled. this guy really has a lot of guts, she thought.

“I don’t know how you make things so easy.” She said..

“its life.” leeteuk stood up and pulled her with him. “deal with it.”

He placed his left hand on his hip and drew the curtains open with his right.

“ah, chilly morning again.” he said, sighing. Chilly mornings don’t do anything good for him because he knew that his heart would over work just to have a proper blood circulation.

“what time is it?” taeyeon asked, interrupting his thoughts. Leeteuk looked at his cellphone in a reflex.

“seven thirty.”

“ack! We have school!” taeyeon headed towards her cabinet and pulled out a business attire.

“I’m not going to school.”

Taeyeon stopped her hands from rummaging her closet.

“why not?”

“I just don’t feel like it.” he shrugged.

aigoo.” Taeyeon bit her lip. “even if you’re the top of the class you just can’t do things like that.”

Leeteuk paced towards the door leading to outside.

“recitations are only small percentages.” He said. “its not like were having exams.”

He rotated the knob open and found taeyeon’s sister at the doorstep, with a raised fist, looking like she was just about to knock. Leeteuk pushed his glasses above his nose and bowed.

“goodmorning.” He greeted.

oppa?”

“yes?”

“what are you doing at my sister’s room?” tiffany asked, shocked.

Leeteuk looked at his back to check if he forgot to bring anything and resumed facing an astounded Kim sibling in the eyes.

“I slept here.” He said as taeyeon slapped her forehead in panic.

“what, slept??”

“yes.” Leeteuk said blankly. He turned again to taeyeon and waved a hand. “that was a wonderful night, taeng. See you later.”

He winked and made his way out.

 “unni??” tiffany gasped. Taeyeon looked at tiffany and raised both of her palms.

 “its not what you think.” she said, embarrassed.

------------------------------------

Business and Politics classroom

Taeyeon’s POV

“where’s hyung?” sungmin asked me.

I was the only one who went to school because leeteuk suddenly disappeared just when I was about to use the black car that we normally ride. So I guess he really didn’t want to attend class and whatever business he has, I don’t think I am in the proper position to interfere.

“he didn’t want to go to class today.” I huffed, writing the professor’s blackboard notes on my notebook. I don’t believe this, more hard topics just after the exam week. Business and political subjects are not that easy as I imagined them to be.

“really?” sungmin said. “maybe because its after exams.”

I looked at sungmin, confused. I don’t want to think that leeteuk does these kinds of things often.

“he does that usually?”

“I don’t know.” Sungmin shrugged. “hyung can have the schedule that he wants.  Sometimes he’s absent when he’s having a check up or sometimes he just really doesn’t want to attend.”

“I don’t think he’s having a check up today.” I blurted. “because he just did and I know his next check up schedule.”

“wow.” Sungmin looked at me, amazed. “you’re just like a typical girlfriend.”

“I’m not a girlfriend.” I hissed. And this idea somehow gives me the creeps. Like goosepimples rummaging through the skin.

Sungmin smiled and pretended to write notes.

“what’s up with your project anyways?” I asked, changing the topic.

“its great, siwon and I already have a place to work.” He said. “you?”

“ugh, ten unresolved tasks.” I said, pushing a paper at his desk. “leeteuk made this.”

I don’t even know how to start a task when he’s not around. I normally do stuffs myself but I really think that its best if there’s teamwork. Maybe I should talk about it with him later.

“that one is a tough deal.” Sungmin said.

“I know right?” I rolled my eyes. “I didn’t know that he’s such a perfectionist when it comes to projects.”

“says who.” Sungmin smiled. “you should treat yourself a break. You go shopping or whatever to alleviate that stress.”

“hmmm, that’s a brilliant idea.”

“I’m such a sensible guy.” Sungmin praised himself.

-------------------------------------

Leeteuk stirred his car to another lane as he dialed up a contact number on his phone.

“bureau of investigation.” Said a female through a speaker.

Leeteuk placed the speaker phone to his ear.

“yes this is park jungsu.” he said. “I’m looking for mister Chun, is he there?”

He heard the speaker muttering something to her co-worker, asking for mister chun.

“I’m a friend of mister chun.” Leeteuk said. he didn’t want others to think that he’s goofing around.

yes?”

“mister chun.” Leeteuk smiled. “how are you?”

good. Good to hear from you. What’s up?

“I have a new job to offer you.” Leeteuk said.

job? New person to find?

“yes.” Leeteuk stirred the wheel again and looked at his rearview mirror of any cars nearby. Good thing that weekdays usually don’t have many cars parading. “I want you to find a missing person. I don’t know if this one is missing or not. But I need this person’s family history and the whereabouts.”

what’s the name?”

“Kim Minsung.” Leeteuk said. “she has three children that she left in custody to her sister who died of lung cancer three years ago. Will you find her for me?”

Leeteuk can hear a sound of keyboard immediately typing on the receiver.

is this a negotiating business or something?”

“no.” leeteuk chuckled. “her children are friends of mine. I just want to grant a long time wish.”

 “that’s a first that I heard from you.”

“really?” leeteuk said. “its better if I have the results now. I will be waiting at the coffee shop.”

-------------------------------------

Shopping Mall, Seoul.

Siwon placed a plastic on his left arm.

“where do you want to go next?” he asked tiffany.

Tiffany pointed to the make up section on taeyeon’s left.

aigoo, make up?” taeyeon scratched her head. “you have tons of that, you’re not even using it.”

“its popular today.” Tiffany said, ignoring her sister. “oppa, lets go there. Ne?”

“okay.” Siwon smiled.

Taeyeon had no choice but to follow.

yah, siwon, you should refrain from spoiling her or she’ll get what she wants all the time.” She grumbled, keeping up. It was a first for her to witness the couple’s way of going out, and it somehow pissed her off knowing that tiffany really liked asking siwon some favors. Siwon, the ever gentleman he has, would always allow the deal with open arms.

“its okay, I like spoiling her anyways.” Siwon smiled, flashing his deep set of dimples.

Tiffany dragged taeyeon towards the make up section.

unni.” She said. “these are make up samples. Let’s try each one.”

bwo-no way.” Taeyeon covered her face from tiffany trying to put a concealer under her eyes.

aigoo unni.” Tiffany pouted.”don’t you know how beautiful you are when you have make up on? Especially that shiny eyeshadow you put in your eyes when you worked at night clubs? You just looked heavenly.”

“who says I’m ugly?” taeyeon rolled her eyes and smiled.

She looked at her face on the mirror and puffed her cheeks. That same gesture, she remembered herself working at night clubs as a waitress, and she was always advised to wear make up because she looked underage.

unni, you’re twenty four.” Tiffany said. “and you need a boyfriend soon. So better start wearing make up like what you used to do.”

Tiffany placed a concealer under taeyeon’s dark circles.

“boyfriend? I’m so young, I don’t need one that early.” Taeyeon blurted. She could have pinched her sister’s cheek, but all with those endless scoldings and discussions, she’s right. She should at least make herself pretty.

“that moisturizer you put alone just doesn’t help.” Tiffany said. “and unni, start wearing feminine clothes. I’ll treat you because we just had our allowance. Gosh, thank you mister park.”

“I’ll treat you to clothes too, taeyeon.” Siwon joined. Tiffany smiled and kissed her boyfriend on the cheek.

“isn’t he lovely?” she gushed. “anyways unni, after this, we change your clothes, buy you a dress and then we’ll eat, how’s that?”

Taeyeon laughed at her sister’s sudden command over the schedule.

“it looks like I’m under an ambush makeover.” She said.

-------------------------------------

Local Seoul Café

Leeteuk looked at a picture of a curly haired woman with dark circles around her eyes.

“this is Kim Minsung?” he asked.

Mister chun nodded.

“that is the only Kim Minsung we know that has three children whose names are taeyeon, kangin and tiffany.” He said, going through more papers.

“what does she do for a living?” leeteuk asked. He was excited to tell taeyeon all about her mother although he was not sure if it will bring an entirely good thing to her. her mother, really resembled taeyeon especially in the eyes.

“apparently, she has no work.”

“no work?”

“she was arrested. Killed a neighbor for maltreating one of her daughters.” Said Mister chung.

“maltreated?what kind?” leeteuk cringe his brows.

“the neighbor found one of mrs. Kim’s daughters taking a piece of fruit from her garden and she got very mad so she hit her with a stick. The daughter came to her mother Minsung, the mother got furious because the daughter was really bleeding so she killed the neighbor. Apparently Kim Minsung was also found to have a nervous breakdown that time, when her husband left her for another woman so she was really out of control.”

Leeteuk heave out a deep breath. It was just a start of a discovery and yet he’s receiving bad news already. To think that he was excited to tell taeyeon all of this himself.

Now he’s thinking whether just to keep all things a secret and let taeyeon live her life normally like others.

“so, who’s the maltreated daughter?”

“the middle child. Taeyeon.” Mister chun blurted.

“taeyeon?” leeteuk couldn’t believe it.

Mister chun searched for more papers at his folder.

“taeyeon was three that time.” He explained. “maybe for now she wouldn’t remember the details, I wasn’t even sure if she had a therapy after that.”

Mister chun took out a cigarette from his pocket and offered a pack to leeteuk.

“no.” he declined.

“wow, first, granting a wish then next refusal to cigarettes? You’re amusing me.” mister chun smiled.

“where is she now?” leeteuk asked, referring to taeyeon’s mother.

“she’s currently at an asylum.”

Leeteuk inhaled another deep breathing before continuing.

“where?” he asked again.

“just near here, about one hour drive from seoul hospital.” Mister chun smoked out fumes from his cigarette. “remember I told you about the nervous breakdown, after she killed her neighbor, the authorities decided to put her there because her condition was getting worse.”

“I don’t know what to say.” Leeteuk eased a headache from receiving such news. “her children, I suppose they don’t know that this happened?”

“I don’t think they know.” Mister chun said. “because they lived with their aunt and you mentioned that miss taeyeon was only told that her parents were missing due to an accident and they never find them eversince.”

“the aunt fabricated the whole thing to keep the children in custody.” Leeteuk sighed, recalling taeyeon’s diary. To think that taeyeon always mentioned in her journal about seeing her parents and finding them anywhere in the world.

Maybe that’s why she was saving a lot of money too.

“are you sure that you still want to grant a long time wish?” mister chun asked a skeptic leeteuk.

Leeteuk drank his coffee and looked out on the window.

“at least one of them has to know.” He said, thinking of taeyeon.

------------------------------------

Seoul shopping mall

unni!” tiffany shrieked.

Taeyeon came out from the fitting section, wearing a striped long sleeved top, pencil cut skirt and pumps. She had her hair tied in a cute pony tail, her bangs swept up and kept in place by pins.

She almost looked like just another Korean idol ready to invade a shopping center. The salesladies, who got interested of giving her a free make up session really did a good justice to her face.

“wow.” Siwon couldn’t believe his eyes too.

Taeyeon looked at herself on the full length mirror, touching her outfit and rotating around in angles.

“I never been this for a long time!” she mused, amazed at herself. The make up she had, really brought out the glow on her face.

“it was really a long time since you put on make up and wear an appropriate outfit for your age.” Tiffany rolled her eyes and couldn’t help but to smile at her sister’s look.

oppa, what do you think, we’re really goodlooking sisters huh?” tiffany asked siwon.

Siwon nodded.

“yes indeed. And I think this calls for a celebration.” He said, putting out his phone.

“what are you doing?” taeyeon asked, when siwon was busy looking at his contacts list.

“calling teukie hyung.”

bwo—leeteuk?” taeyeon blurted. It was a whole day and she hasn’t seen leeteuk ever since he got out her room at the morning.

ne, teukie hyung.” Siwon said leaving taeyeon in shock. “we didn’t get to see him at class so I think its just right to invite him to a dinner.”

Taeyeon scratched her head.

aigoo, he’ll just tease me.” she mused.

-----------------------------

Leeteuk bit his lip as he drive his way out of the coffee shop.

Kim Minsung, the single parent, was in the asylum for more than twenty years of taeyeon’s life and the latter didn’t even have a clue that their parents were already separated and their aunt just fabricated all of their life events just as so they can live life normally.

He didn’t even know how to break all those news to her. he didn’t even know if she’ll be glad that he granted her long time wish. He didn’t even know if it was good enough that he found her diary by accident, all the while that the consequences will just make her sad.

“siwon.” leeteuk flipped open his phone. “yobuseyo?”

Siwon just invited him to have dinner with his girlfriend.

And taeyeon was with them.

Leeteuk sighed. He didn’t know what to do.

--------------------------

Restaurant

“to taeyeon for being pretty today.” Siwon raised his glass and smiled as he and tiffany ushered taeyeon to have a drink.

bwo--- this is eighty thousand won?” taeyeon gasped at the price tag of the wine.

“this is so expensive, get those liquid back.” She mused, taking their glasses.

aigoo unni.” Tiffany hissed. “oppa will treat us so you don’t have to pay for anything.”

“but this is so expensive!” taeyeon hissed back.

Siwon smiled and retrieved a glass back at his fingers.

“I have teukie hyung just in case I got short of cash.” He winked. he was so fond of the sibling’s arguments like typical sisters fighting over a petty stuff.

Taeyeon stood up and fanned herself.

“whew, can’t believe that we’re doing this.” She said, fixing her skirt. “I’ll go to the restroom for the moment.”

She turned around and saw leeteuk heading towards their direction. Leeteuk, the ever perfect adult being, was wearing an unusual light colored outfit again.

oppa’s here.” Tiffany clapped her hands.

Leeteuk looked at taeyeon from head to foot.

“who’s this?” he asked, pointing to taeyeon.

aish, don’t kid around on me, its me.” taeyeon hissed. Leeteuk smiled and bit his lip.

“why are you standing?” he asked her. he pulled her chair backwards and waved his hand like a prince. “have a sit.”

“I’m going to the restroom.”

“you can do it later.” Leeteuk said. taeyeon rolled her eyes and sat back on the chair.

“wow this is like a double date.” Tiffany gushed as leeteuk took his seat beside taeyeon.

Leeteuk shrugged and prodded taeyeon’s elbows with a fork.

“its been a long time.” Siwon smiled. it was really a long time for leeteuk to dine with a girl beside him and for a very amusing observation, he and taeyeon looked like a typical couple who complimented each other’s looks well. “hyung, I ordered already. We’ll just wait for the food.”

Leeteuk nodded and rested his back comfortably at the soft cushion.

“where have you been?” taeyeon asked him. Leeteuk noticed this as a random question when he was staring at her back.

“why are you asking me?”

unni sounds like a girlfriend.” Tiffany mused.

Taeyeon cleared and placed a glass of wine on her side.

anni, I’m not. Its, just, um… you missed a lot of topics today at the class.” She said, changing the topic. Was there something in or it was just her feeling dehydrated?

“I was outside whole day, doing something.” Leeteuk explained to her.

“doing something that made you skip class?”

“I think that work was more important than a whole day of class.” Leeteuk said, thinking his actions. “and I realized that eversince I got out of your room.”

“got out of her room?” siwon butted in.

Tiffany giggled and cupped when taeyeon was eyeing her ferociously.

“I slept at her room last night.” Leeteuk said blankly.

booya?”

leeteuk took out his wallet and sighed. “I’m out of cash, I think I need to withdraw first. You come with me taeng.”

“why me?” taeyeon bit her lip. Leeteuk smiled and shook his head.

“do you want me to go with tiffany?” he kidded. he pulled out her chair and ushered her out.

“I’ll be back.” Taeyeon told tiffany and siwon.

------------------------------

Leeteuk waited for a couple of seconds until a wad of cash emerged out from the machine.

“is this amount enough?” he asked, showing taeyeon an inch thick of paper money.

“that’s too much!” taeyeon gasped. She looked around and opted leeteuk to quickly stuff his cash on his wallet.

“why so much money anways?” she asked, taking leeteuk’s wallet.

“I’m more comfortable when there’s a lot.” He shrugged.

“there.” Taeyeon placed the wallet on his palm. Leeteuk hid the wallet on his pocket and stared at her again from head to foot. It was the second time that he saw her in a very mature outfit eversince the black dress she wore when she threw his checkbook at the stone fountain the first time they met at the estate.

“you find me pretty huh?” taeyeon smiled, observing him.

Leeteuk chuckled and ushered her to move forward.

“I can’t believe you’re so proud of yourself.” He said.

“it’s the truth anyways.” Taeyeon said, leveling her steps with his. “even siwon says I’m pretty too.”

“he’s right with that.”

“woah.” Taeyeon stopped leeteuk in his tracks and paced infront of him.

“what?”

“you agreed with siwon.” She said.

“I agreed with siwon, yes.” He nodded.

“hah, and you didn’t even tell me that I’m pretty when you arrived at the restaurant.” Taeyeon circled an arm around his and continued with their walk. “aigoo, I’m such a pretty girl, even leeteuk cannot resist looking at me twice.”

She sang songs about herself as leeteuk kept on chuckling with every praises she does.

“hey pretty girl.”

“yup?” taeyeon beamed.

“I’ll be skipping classes again tomorrow.”

Taeyeon pouted at his statement. “why?”

“you’ll skip classes too because you’ll go with me.” he said.

“go where?”

Leeteuk inhaled deep breaths before he continued. Its time he speaks up.

“about your diary.” He said, gently pulling her closer to him as more people passed by. “I found what you were looking for.”

He stopped her from doing another step and pulled her near the stairs.

“you found my parents?” taeyeon asked, shocked.

Leeteuk bit his lip and closed his eyes for a couple of seconds.

“I found your mother.” He said.

 he didn’t know if this was good news to her but taeyeon immediately threw her arms around his neck and submerged him with her embrace.

“my mother, I was looking for her the whole time and you just found her in a snap.” She gushed. “oh my gosh thank you so much.”

“you can let go now.” Leeteuk rubbed the tip of his nose unconsciously. “this is a public area.”

“I don’t care, you found my mom and you deserved this.” She said, tightening her hug. “wow, this is such a dream. I don’t believe this. Thank you , thank you, thank you!”

Leeteuk sighed. He made her happy. Aside from the make over that made her seemed more confident with herself, she was indeed happier. without a doubt the news to her was ecstatic. But she didn’t know yet about the consequences of finding her mother’s situation once she sees her.

“thank you so much, leeteuk.” She said once again.

Leeteuk smiled weakly, placed his arm around her waist with another hand patting her back. He didn’t know how to break the second news.

 All he could think of… was to immediately comfort her.