IX: Unexpected

Choi Minho Must Die

After Taemin’s audition, we got out of the theater immediately and went home together.

“We’re back,” I yelled as I opened the front door of our house. We got inside and took of our school shoes and placed it in the corner.

Taemin grabbed the remote and turned the TV on. Before I sat, I checked the time. It’s already 7PM. I went to the kitchen and there, I saw my mother cooking.

“Umma! What’s for dinner?” I asked while hugging her from the back.

“Ah, Jinri! You’re back. I made kimchi earlier and I’m frying some mandoos now,” she replied.

“Looks delicious!” I said enthusiastically. She smirked at me while she’s continuing her cooking. I released my hug and went around the kitchen.

“Where’s Taemin?” she turned at me and asked.

“He’s at the living room, watching TV,” I replied with a smile. She then smiled back and continued cooking as I got out of the kitchen.

 

~Dinner~

 

Dinner was already served and me, along with Taemin, mother and father, are now eating.

“Yah, Jinri! Since when did you put make-up on your face and fixed your hair like that?” my surprised father asked. “This is the first time I saw you like that ever since you were young!”

“She was noticed by many students earlier,” Taemin butted in and grinned at me.

“Aish, Taemin! Appa, it’s nothing. I just realized that I’m much beautiful when I’m like this,” I jokingly said.

“Aigoo, Jinri. Fix your grades first before you fix yourself. You almost flunked your grades last year,” he scolded me. It’s true, though. I may be good in the field of theater, but I’m not good in Math and Science.

“No, Jinri. Just continue fixing yourself up. You look beautiful,” mother encouraged me. She held my hand and smiled at me. Good thing my father met mother and Taemin last year, or else I’m doomed, I thought.

“Aish,” my father said softly as he continued eating the mandoo. I can’t blame my father. He wanted the best for me, since I’m already graduating high school and I needed to ace the upcoming exam for college.

“Me and noona auditioned for the school’s upcoming musical,” he shared to break the heavy mood my father created.

“That’s good! So how did it go?” my father asked. It seems that he regained his good mood instantly.

“There’s no result yet. They’ll post it next week,” Taemin replied. “I’m sure me and noona will be part of it!” he added.

We all smiled and continued eating while watching a new drama on SBS. Minutes after, we all finished eating and my phone vibrated. I received a text from Krystal.

 

From: Krystal
Message: Let’s meet tomorrow at the café.

 

~The next day~

 

“From what I remember, you’ll be meeting with Minho today, right?” she asked me and I nodded. “Now, if he asks you to date him, say yes. But, ask a condition to him,” she added.

She continued talking and after she’s done talking about the plan, she took a sip of the coffee she ordered. She then placed it on the table. She seemed sad and weak today. It’s unusual to see her like that since I’ve always seen her blissful and strong.

“Are you okay?” I asked her worriedly.

“Ne,” she replied. I’m still not convinced with what she replied. “Sulli, do you, by any chance, have a relationship with Taemin?”

“Ye,” I replied with a smile. I now know why she’s sad.

“Ah,” she said quietly as she turned her head down and fixed her bag. “I’m going no-“

“He’s my brother,” I said just when she was about get off her seat. She was shaken and couldn’t even move. Her facial expression was priceless. I laughed so hard.

“Sulli! You’re his brother? How come his surname is Lee?” she stuttered. I’m still laughing and it took me a few minutes to get back to my normal state again.

“He’s not my biological sibling,” I shared. I then told her the whole story and she became joyful again.

 We both took our last sip on our coffee and proceeded to school together.

 When we reached our classroom, Minho blocked my way and he smiled at me.

“Hey! So, meet me after classes, arasseo?” he insisted. He is pushy, I thought.

“Okay,” I replied while showing him a fake smile. He smiled back and waved his hand at me and proceeded to his seat.

 

~After classes~

 

I went inside the library and proceeded at the last bookshelf. It was quite awkward when I saw him. He was there, looking at the books in the bookshelf. When he spotted me, he smirked at me, grabbed my hand and went to the corner.

He then released my hand and faced me. He walked a little closer to me. We then stared at each other. It was very awkward for me.

“Sulli,” he whispered. “Sulli, I like you.”

I was shocked with what he said, not because he said he liked me, but because he said it directly. I expected he would say something mushy and cheesy first before saying that, but I was wrong.

“I like you, too,” I stuttered quite a bit. I know I was just forcing myself on this, but I can’t believe that I just said that. It’s my first time to say that to a guy. What’s worse is, I said that to a guy I don’t even like.

“Well, would you date me?” he asked in his low-pitched voice. It sounded like he was seducing me but I won’t fall for that.

“Yes,” I answered in a flat tone. I looked away from him; it’s just getting more awkward with him.

I suddenly remembered what Krystal told me earlier. I looked at him again. “But, I have a condition,” I said before he could even talk.

“Anything, baby,” he said while grinning. Did he just say ‘baby?’ Yuck! I thought.

“Tell our relationship in public,” I said. He did not expect this. “I don’t care if someone butts in our relationship. What matters is, you and me,” I added. I can’t believe I’m saying these things to him. Disgusting.

“Arasseo,” he answered quickly and smiled at me. “If that’s what you want, I’ll do it.”

I thought he would disagree and would be shocked on what I said. I was the one being shocked here, not him. I did not expect this would happen.

“Okay. Then, let’s meet tomorrow in front of the gate,” I suggested.

“I’ll just fetch you in your house tomorrow,” he said. What is happening?

“Ah… okay,” I hesitantly said. I gave him my address. What are you doing, Sulli? I thought. “See you, tomorrow,” I said. “Oppa,” I added. I smirked and left him.

When I got out of the library, I ran out of the school and went home directly. I was really confused and frustrated on what I did earlier. Maybe because the plan didn’t go as I thought it would be, that my mind just gone wild.

 

~The next day~

 

I fixed myself up, just like what I’m doing for the past three days. I got out of my room to see Taemin waiting at the living room.

“Taemin, sorry. You go ahead. I need to do something. I might be late in class,” I made an excuse to him. He stood up.

“Arasseo. You’re going with your boyfriend, huh?” he said teasingly. I know he was joking but I got quite guilty and unexpectedly blushed. “I am right.” He laughed. He picked his bag and wore it.

“No, no. That’s not what you think!” I yelled at him, trying to convince him that he got the wrong idea.

“Okay, okay, you don’t have a boyfriend,” he said teasingly. He does not believe me. “I’ll be going now!” He opened the door and left.

I sighed. This is getting more complicated, I thought. I slapped myself lightly numerous times and shook my head. After minutes, I got out of the house and waited for the frog to come.

I can’t believe that I’m doing this, I thought.

Minutes later, a black medium-sized car arrived and stopped in front of the house. A driver went out and opened the backdoor for me. When the driver opened it, I saw Minho sitting there and calling me. I looked from left to right, checking that my parents aren’t around. I quickly entered the car.

“I thought your house is far away from the school, but it’s actually really near,” he chuckled. I just smirked at him.

Minutes later, we arrived at the gate of the school. The driver went out and opened the door for us. Minho got out first and as expected, some of the girls shrieked and called his name. Then, Minho looked at me and told me to get out.

I got out of the car and I saw the girls’ expressions change from blissful to surprise. I smiled at them and my body froze. I saw Krystal arriving and she saw me with Minho. She smirked at me. She then entered the school.

While I was looking from afar, Minho held my hand and the girls got more surprised. They were all shocked. I was also shocked. I looked at him and he looked at me and smiled.

You need to make this convincing, Sulli I thought. I smiled at him, held his hand tighter and leaned my head to his shoulder.

“Minho-oppa, let’s go,” I uttered in a cute manner.