XXVII: Moonlight

Choi Minho Must Die

It was 5PM on Saturday when I decided to stop studying for our final exams next week and get out of the room to freshen my mind. I saw that my umma arrived from the market with Taemin, bringing a lot of plastic bags, full of ingredients. Umma really wanted to make the upcoming dinner a good one. 

 

I went towards them and helped them carry the plastic bags. I placed them near the sink on the kitchen. To my surprise, I saw umma bringing out large basins.

 

“What’s that for, umma?” I asked her. She looked at me pointing at the basins.

 

“For the food,” she said.

 

“I think that’s too much, umma,” I said.

 

“I know. I’m going to pack some for them to bring to their homes,” she said.

 

“Ah,” I said.

 

She really loves cooking and preparing things for the visitors, same with my appa. That’s why we moved here in Seoul, for them to establish a restaurant that will cater to a much bigger market. Their business is going well and much better than before.

 

I helped her in preparing the ingredients. It looked like she had many things in mind. She planned to make kimchi, buldak, bulgogi, clam soup with vegetables, and spicy blue crab stew.

 

“I’ll take care of this. Go prepare yourself now. You don’t want to look bad in front of Minho, later, right?” she teased. We both chuckled as I removed my apron. Afterwards, I went to my room.

 

I opened my wardrobe and planned on what I should wear. After planning, I went to the bathroom and took a bath. I wore a simple white shirt and an Aztec-pattern legging. I let my hair, as it is, straight on top, wavy at the bottom. I put on a light make-up afterwards.

 

It’s already 7PM and I went out of my room. The foods are all on the table already, as well as the plates and utensils. Me, umma, appa and Taemin are all waiting at the sofa when the doorbell rang.

 

“It’s Krystal and her family,” Taemin said as he ran towards the door to open it.

 

“Hi! Come on in,” Taemin greeted Krystal and her family. Taemin guided them to the living area. We greeted them warmly and Taemin introduced us. Krystal introduced her family. I didn’t know that she has an older sister named Jessica.

 

They all sat at the sofa with us. They were already conversing and laughing, while I remained silent, waiting for Minho. After a few minutes, the doorbell rang.

 

“Ah, it’s Minho’s family,” appa said. I got up and went towards the door and opened it. When I opened the door, I saw Minho and his umma. I welcomed them and let them enter the house. I guided them towards the living room.

 

“Mrs. Choi!” umma and appa said in shock. I was puzzled on why she was shocked.

 

“Umma, you know each other?” Minho asked her mother. Her mother nodded.

 

“Ne. Their restaurant is just in front of the art gallery. I always eat lunch there because of their delicious foods,” his umma said.

 

“I don’t think we need introductions anymore,” Minho said lightheartedly. We all smiled.

 

“Now that we’re complete, let’s go to the dining area and eat,” my appa said and grinned. We all agreed.

 

The dinner became a fun and memorable one. It’s been filled with stories about our childhood, stories about the recent dramas and news. I never expected that we would all be close during that night. My parents’ idea turned out to be a fruitful one.

 

The night ended with us all smiling, leaving with new built relationships.

 

 

~

 

 

“Choi Jinri as Penny Pingleton,” the emcee said loudly. A big round of applause greeted me when I walked forward on the stage and bowed. I saw Minho, her umma, Krystal’s family and my parents sitting beside each other, applauding at me.

 

You did great, Sulli, I thought. The musical ended, and so did the problems I encountered for the first semester. It felt like I was applauded for things: for doing a job well done in the musical and for surviving the roller coaster ride.

 

The one that got the standing ovation were Krystal and Taemin for doing an amazing job in portraying their respective roles. They both deserved it.

 

When the curtains closed, we all went backstage and all hugged each other. It indeed was a successful musical. Krystal, Luna, Victoria, Amber, and I hugged each other tightly. After releasing our hugs, I saw Minho holding a bouquet of flowers. He was grinning at me.

 

I quickly ran and hugged him. “Thank you,” I whispered to his ear.

 

 

 

After the musical, my family, along with Minho and Krystal’s went to a restaurant near the bay. We were all filled with joy as we all ate our food.

 

“Let’s go out,” Minho whispered after we finished eating. I nodded. “Excuse us,” he said to the rest.

 

We got off from our seats. He held my hand and we went outside the restaurant. “Where are we going?” I asked him.

 

“Wherever the wind takes us,” he said.

 

We wandered beside the bay, walking slowly while holding our hands. We weren’t talking, just enjoying each other’s company. I leaned my head on his shoulder. After minutes of wandering, we both sat at the gutter of the bay. We watched the waves of the sea and the full moon that shines brightly. The smell of the sea and the sound of the waves—they made this night serene.

 

“Thank you,” he said while I was leaning on his shoulder. I looked at him and he was directly looking at the moon. “Thank you for being there for me, always. Thank you for changing me.”

 

“Thank you, too, for making me a strong person I am now,” I said. I smiled and continued looking at the moon and the stars. “I’ve watched the video.”

 

“Hmm?” he said calmly.

 

“The ‘princess and the frog’ video. You were so sweet,” I said. “I didn’t know that you took some of the photos there.”

 

“Ah,” he said as he chuckled and rubbed his nape. “You were always in my front and you don’t seem to notice me before. You’re with Kai.” He pouted.

 

I chuckled and said, “Aww! You’re so cute!” I said as I pinched his cheek.

 

“Well you, too! You’re so attractive now,” he mocked me. I slapped him slightly on the arm. He laughed hard.

 

He continued mocking me to the point that he can’t stop laughing hard. To stop it, I kissed him on the cheek. It worked. He looked at me with his big eyes. He was startled.

 

At that moment, under the moonlight, he drew his face near mine slowly and kissed me on the lips. Unlike my first kiss, this was far different. It’s not bittersweet, but pure love and passion. He deepened the kiss and I gave in. He held my cheeks as we kissed. As cliché it may sound, in my mind, it felt like fireworks appeared suddenly and a romantic mellow music played.

 

The breeze coming from the sea, the sound of the waves of the sea, and the bright full moon along with the twinkling stars, this is the perfect kiss.

 

And I saw the guy they’re both talking about walking through the corridor smiling and waving his hands to the girls and his friends. Tall, medium complexion, short hair, eyes that resemble to a frog.

 

That’s the guy they’re talking about? Definitely my type.