That Girl

To Husband, From Wife

 

 

Sunggyu drowned in his own thoughts but was snapped when Mrs. Jung called him. “Sunggyu, are you okay?” She asked, apprehensive of the lack attention he gave to her. Sunggyu stared at her for a couple seconds before nodded. “Then, you should go back to your class.”

“Yes, Mrs. Jung.” He talked bluntly and began heading to his classroom.

 

On the way to his destination, he took out the letter where he hid in his pocket and read it again. Again, again and again. Beautiful handwritting. Sweet words. He couldn’t help himself not to have a slightly feeling of ‘happiness’. He had received a lot of letters but this one, he can feel the sincerity radiating from every word written.

 

He fold the letter back and kept it in his pocket. He opened his classroom door and as usual, it was quiet. Yeah, Kim Sunggyu, the smart boy. Of course he would be placed among the smart students who always stuck with their books. So, the class would probably ‘mute’.

He cleared his throat, gaining attention from his classmates. All eyes were on him. “Good morning, everyone. Just now, I met Mrs. Jung and she told me our History Test will be cancelled because she has to settle up with the new transferred student.” He explained in detail and the students began to whisper among themselves.

 

“Hey, Gyu! Do you know if that transferred student is a girl or boy?” The playful Baekhyun asked him, shameless. Everyone made a thumbs down and booed at him. Sunggyu chuckled. “What? I was just asking!”

“Calm down everybody. Our new friend is a girl.”As he said the word of ‘girl’, most of the boys hi-fived with each other and punched the air in joy. While girls were frowning in disappointment. They absolutely were hoping for a guy. Sunggyu shook his head, seeing his friends’ crazy behaviours and walked back to his seat.

 

He pulled the chair and sat comfortably. Then, he remembered something. “Dongwoo!”

Dongwoo  turned his head around and raised his brows. “What?”

“Come here. Sit beside me,” Sunggyu replied while patting the empty desk beside him. Dongwoo gave him a questioning look. Nope. It was more to unbelieavable look.

“I thought you love sitting alone?”

He shrugged and answered, “But not until this moment.” Dongwoo smirked and packed his things up to change a place, beside Sunggyu. He used to sit beside a nerd girl who didn’t care about the surrounding except for books. What a weird person.

 

Dear wife, I listened to you. I just want to know what will happen next. He bit his bottom lips, thinking of when will he received the next letter.

 

“Hyung, stand up!” Dongwoo hissed, slightly made him jumped. He looked around and found out everybody was standing up. Teacher was in front there with… that new student. “Oh, man…” his jaw dropped. Sunggyu gazed at him for a while, then he turned his gaze to the teacher.

 

Why did the hell I even listened to the letter which was sent by an anonymous? He grumbled in his head.

 

“Student, you may sit and stop staring at her. I know she’s pretty.” Mrs. Jung joked which made the new student blushed. They didn’t hear her words and kept their gaze fixed on her. “Okay, dear. Introduce yourself.” She patted her shoulder softly.

The first thing she did was, bowed. “Annyeonghasaeyo. Kang Haenim imnida. Nice to meet you. I’m from Mungyeong.” She finished her introduction with a 90 degrees bow.

 

“Thank you, Haenim. You may sit beside Kim Sung- Eh? Since when did you change your place, Jang Dongwoo?” she asked Dongwoo and crossed her arms on her stomach.

Dongwoo rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “I-I…”

“He said, he needs a tutor in History Subject and I’m glad to be the one.” There came the hero of Dongwoo, Kim Sunggyu. Dongwoo gave him a I-hate-you-hyung look but he ignored him.

 

Mrs. Jung nodded in approval since Sunggyu was her favorite. “You may sit beside Eunji then.” Haenim nodded and bowed a little before heading to her seat. A wide smile plastered on Dongwoo’s face as his mind was planning to flirt with Haenim.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, Jang Dongwoo imnida!” He quickly introduced himself although she didn’t ask to. Haenim smiled at his childish behaviour and bowed to him. “Ah, you’re very polite,” he complimented.

“Kamsa hamida,” she said and her eyes shifted to the guy who was sitting beside Dongwoo.

 

For a moment, her body became numb except for her… heart. Why it was beating very fast like it wanted to explode from its own ribcage?

 

Sunggyu on the other hand started to feel uncomfortable with the long stare from Haenim. He purposely took his bag and grabbed for any random books in it. So that, she will stop staring at him. But then, he recognized something. An unfamiliar piece of paper. Wait, not paper. An envelope. A white envelope.

 

 A letter? He quickly looked around and everybody was concentrating on the lesson. He took that chance to read the new letter he received from his wife.

 

 

Dear husband,

That Kang Haenim is pretty, huh? Do you regret listening to me? I hope you don’t. Sunggyu, don’t fall for her, okay?

 

It’s History lesson now, right? Just don’t fall asleep like you always did. Bear it for an hour. I know you slept late last night. But just don’t fall asleep.

I can’t write any longer because you’re in your class right now. So, goodbye.

 

Lots of love,

Your wife.

 

 

Sunggyu put the letter in his bag and he was deep in his thought. It is my habit sleeping in History class. And how did she knew it? Why she didn’t let me-

 

“Park Chanyeol!” Sunggyu was startled and he set his eyes on his teacher and same goes to the others. “Stand up, now!” He then moved his gaze to his sleepy-head classmate, Chanyeol. Chanyeol rubbed his eyes innocently and stood up like he was innocent. “Now, get out!”

 

Everyone gasped in surprise. Mrs. Jung was a lenient teacher but she’ll turn into a monster if she wasn’t in a good mood. “Uh-oh. Teacher Jung had transformed into a hulk.” Dongwoo muttered slowly.

 

Sunggyu didn’t bothered him. He now understood why she told him not to sleep in the History class. Because Teacher is not in a good mood. He smiled and gazed at Haenim’s back. Why didn’t you let me sit beside her? You afraid I’ll fall for her? Haha. Thanks for saving me, dear wife.