Without My Love Letters

To Husband, From Wife

 

 

He was now standing in front of his locker. Carefully, he opened it and there the thing he was looking for. His beloved Ipod which was given by his mother.

 

“Oh, Kim Sunggyu!”

Hearing his name was called by someone, he turned around. The voice was belong to his History Teacher, Mrs. Jung. He gave her a smile and bowed politely. “Yes, Seonsangnim. May I help you?”

She smiled. “Tell your fellow friends that History Test will be cancelled because I have to settle up with the new transferred student from the countryside.” She explained.

“Ahh. But I’ve read everything last night.” He pouted while rubbing the back of his neck.

The middle-aged teacher softened. “Aigoo. You’re a very hard-working boy, Sunggyu.” She praised him sincerely.

He smiled like an idiot, feeling proud to be praised. “Kamsa hamida, Seonsangnim. Yes, I will tell the rest about the cancellation of History Test.” He bowed and happily headed to the classroom.

 

He opened his classroom door and as usual, it was quiet. Yeah, Kim Sunggyu, the smart boy. Of course he would be placed among the smart students who always stuck with their books. So, the class would probably ‘mute’.

 

He cleared his throat, gaining attention from his classmates. All eyes were on him. “Good morning, everyone. Just now, I met Mrs. Jung. She told me our History Test will be cancelled because she has to settle up with the new transferred student.” He explained in detail and the students began to whisper among themselves.

 

“Hey, Gyu! Do you know that transferred student is a girl or boy?” The playful Baekhyun asked him, shameless. Everyone made a thumbs down and booed at him. Sunggyu chuckled. “What? I was just asking!”

“I don’t know. I forgot to ask Teacher.” Sunggyu shrugged and walked back to his seat.

 

He pulled the chair and sat comfortably. But then, Dongwoo turned around and made his mehrong face out of blue. “Take back your useless notes.” He stuck out his tongue, purposely letting Sunggyu gone mad.

 

Sunggyu simply rolled his eyes and stood up. “Whatever, dino. Stand, Teacher is in front,” he said while looking at the teacher. Wait, he wasn’t looking at the teacher, his eyes were locked on the girl beside his teacher. That new girl.

 

“Student, you may sit and stop staring at her. I know she’s pretty.” Mrs. Jung joked which made her blushed. They didn’t hear her words and kept their gaze fixed on her. “Okay, dear. Introduce yourself.” She patted her shoulder softly.

The first thing she did was, bowed. “Annyeonghasaeyo. Kang Haenim imnida. Nice to meet you. I’m from Mungyeong.” She finished her introduction with a 90 degrees bow.

“Thank you, Haenim. You may sit beside Kim Sunggyu since he is sitting alone.” She pointed towards a hamster-look guy, with a small eyes on the third row. Haenim thanked her and walked to her new seat. She smiled to Sunggyu but he remained emotionless.

 

The learning session began, and Sunggyu tried so hard not to fall asleep. Suddenly, Haenim slipped a piece of small paper under his textbook, startling him. It was a note. He took it and glanced at her, but she pretended to concentrate on the lesson.

 

‘Even if you sleep, I’m sure Teacher Jung won’t recognize it because your eyes are so tiny, Mr. Hamster~ I’m Ms. Butterfly, hope we can be a good friends! ^.^

 

A smile crept on his face that he can’t hold it. He took a random pen from his pencil box and started to write something, replying her small note.

 

<<<<<>>>>> 

 

Haenim tigthen her grasped, “That was how we knew each other.”

“I want it to be like that. I want to receive a small note instead of having Dongwoo sitting beside me,” Sunggyu replied. He sounded very sad.

She turned her head to him and gazed his side facial for a couple seconds. “You don’t understand why I did this.”

 

<<<<<>>>>> 

 

 

The bell rang loudly, telling the students that they may leave. Sunggyu packed his things and bid a goodbye to Dongwoo who was still packing his things up. “Hyung, can you accompany me to meet Teacher Han in the staff room?” Dongwoo asked him while his eyes were busy searching for something in his bag.

Sunggyu shrugged. “Sure, why not.” He simply answered and  tucked his both hands in his pocket. Dongwoo then went to him and both of them walked together to the staff room.

 

- - - - - -

 

 

“Omma, I’m home!” he said, wearily. He was soaking wet as the rain poured heavily on him.

“Oh, sweetie. You’re home? Wait there, don’t open your shoes!” Mrs. Kim hollered from inside. Sunggyu froze on his spot. She then came back and handed him some money. “Buy me a bottle of vinegar and ketchup sauce, sweetie.” She blinked her eyes sweetly.

He narrowed his eyes. “Bwoh?! Omma, I’m freaking wet and cold here. Please at least-”

“Oh, son! You’re strong. A few minutes to the grocery shop wouldn’t hurt, would it?” she was still sweet-talking over him. Being a son who was full of toleration, he gave in.

“Fine.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes and put his bag in front of his house door. Without wasting any time, he began to walk to the grocery shop, lazily.

 

Along the way, he kept frowning and mumbling. He even blamed himself for not bringing any umbrella together with him. “. Now, I’m going to catch a cold. Great.” He hugged his body. It was freezing outside here.

Sunggyu was about to enter the grocery shop but accidentally bumped on someone. The umbrella he was holding in his hand fell down. “Jeoseonghabnida!”  The girl apologized and bent down her body to take it. And when their eyes met…

 

“Haenim-sshi?”

“Sunggyu-sshi?”

 

They both said all in once and smiled sheepishly to each other. Sunggyu looked at her. She looked like she was just done from taking a shower with her school uniform. “What are you doing here, Sunggyu-sshi?” she asked and handed back his umbrella.

 

He gladly took it. “I have to buy some things. How about you?”

 

Haenim bit her bottom lip. “I was walking to go back home when suddenly, it started to pour heavily. And my umbrella, I lend it to a little girl who was waiting for her mother. I don’t want her to get sick.” She shrugged and smiled innocently. That smile was like an arrow, shot exactly towards his heart, making it pounded as fast as a plane. He softened.

 

“Maybe I can walk you home, under a same umbrella if you don’t mind?” He offered. Haenim tilted her head while staring at him with her round eyes.

“Won’t it trouble you?”

He shook. “Nope. So, let me buy those items first, then I send you.”

 

<<<<<>>>>> 

 

 

“Vinegar and ketchup sauce. Just because of your letter, I don’t have that opportunity to share my umbrella with you. And you went back home with Dongwoo instead.” Sunggyu frowned as he remembered Haenim’s letter which told him to leave Dongwoo alone in the classroom and went back home but stopped at the nearby grocery shop.

 

Haenim leaned her head against his shoulder. She knew, he really felt disappointed knowing the exactly things that should happen. “I want to change your future because I can’t change mine.”

 

“But I don’t understand!” He was so impatient although he told her he will wait no matter how long it took. That was simply his natural attitude. Haenim knew him very well.

“I know it’s going to be like this. You're so impatient. Let’s stop the playback and let see our future.” She smiled.