Whats, Ifs and Hows

Triangle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With her Christmas break over, Jessica resumed her teaching duties. She had no classes yet but teacher seminars and lesson preparations are on-going in preparation of the new semester. However, with Jessica and her sister working, Minguk had no one to watch over him. That's why Jessica hired a babysitter.

 

Wendy is a Korean-American studying in Barcelona. She first visited this place when she was ten years old along with her family and ever since then she fell in love with the place.

 

She's currently taking a master's degree in music. She works freelance so she can work at home or in this case in Jessica's home. With her laptop and guitar, she writes music while looking over Minguk. That is actually a very tough job. And she is talking about Minguk, not her actual job. Looking after him proves to be difficult.

 

It's not because he doesn't listen at all. He actually does listen but does other things instead. For example, if you tell him to stop scattering his toys he will, so he goes drawing instead. Wendy's lucky if he doodles on paper, but she's mostly unlucky because Minguk draws on the walls, carpet or couch more often than not.

 

After managing to put him to sleep, Wendy finally got a breather. She went to the living room. She placed her laptop earlier on the table in front of the leather couch. The table is standing on top of a white carpet that now has traces of crayons in different colors.

 

Wendy let out a sigh. "Oh god, I've got a lot to clean."

 

Wendy tidied the house but most of the work was in the living room. Minguk's toys are now neatly stacked and the stains on the walls, couch, and carpet are now gone.

 

Wendy heard the front door opened followed by the sound of footsteps. Yoona appeared in her blue jeans, white long sleeves, sneakers and handbag. She has a paper bag with her and Wendy hoped it was food.

 

"I brought some snacks." Yoona said and Wendy thought of her as an angel right there and then.

 

"Thanks! Minguk kept on asking me to play hide and seek." Wendy hopped her way over to the kitchen counter where Yoona placed the bag and took the food out of it. There were four containers of lasagna and four pieces of bagel. "Yoona, there's only four each. Is it for the Jungs and yours?"

 

"No, not mine. It's yours." Yoona replied. They were speaking in English. Wendy spent most of her time abroad so her Korean skills are that of an elementary level. She can talk to Minguk but can't get into a conversation with a Korean adult. "I'm going to eat outside."

 

"Why? You can have this. I'll make dinner instead." Wendy suggested. She didn't want to pry much. She is getting paid for this job, gets free meals and it's not a stressful working environment.

 

"Don't worry, I'm really heading outside. I just stopped by to make sure you and Minguk eat something." Yoona assured. She didn't bother putting down her bag. It looks like she was ready to go. "Is he asleep?"

 

Wendy nodded. "Yeah but it's the calm before the storm. I'm sure the moment he wakes up he'll say he's hungry."

 

Minguk is a well-behaved child. He doesn't throw a tantrum when he is sleepy but expects he'll be throwing a fit when hungry.

 

"Give him the lasagna first." Yoona said. "If he eats the bagel first but he's still hungry then he won't be able to finish the lasagna. At least if he eats the lasagna first, he'll probably be full once he finishes it so he won't be needing the bagel. Give it to Jessica instead. She likes bread."

 

"Okay, noted." Wendy answered. "You're not staying long?"

 

Yoona nodded. "I have a patient who I have to visit at her home. I have to clean her surgery wound then re-do it. She was supposed to stay in the hospital but she's old and picky. She wanted to stay at home."

 

"Isn't that expensive though?"

 

"Yes," Yoona walked over to the fridge and took out a pitcher of water. She went over to the counter to get the strawberry painted mug which belongs to Jessica and poured herself a drink. "She has the money though so I finally allowed it. Besides she talked to me very gently, just like how my grandmother talks to me. Do you know how rare that is?"

 

"You mean a patient talking to you?"

 

Yoona eyed Wendy incredulously. "No, I mean a patient talking to me calmly without the hysteria."

 

Wendy proceeded to open her share of lasagna. Her bagel sat right beside it. "Well, I guess your professional fee is quite expensive."

 

Yoona opened a drawer where the silverwares are stored and handed Wendy a fork. "I won't comment on that." She chuckled.

 

"That's because it's true." Wendy teased back.

 

Yoona would have laughed harder but realized Minguk is sleeping. She smirked instead. "Well, I'm a Harvard graduate." Her tone sounded like she was joking but there was also a hint of pride. She is a proud Harvard alumnus.

 

Yoona and Wendy have an amicable friendship. In the apartment complex where Yoona lives, Wendy is her next door neighbor. They kicked off pretty well given that they are Koreans who mostly lived overseas. One night while hanging out in Wendy's unit for a night of drinking, Yoona discovered Wendy's composition when she mistakenly the sound system instead of the TV. Wendy had left a disc containing her compositions in the player and it automatically played when Yoona turned it on.

 

With that incident, Yoona sent a song sample to her cousin Yonghwa, who manages a record company, the same company now housing Taeyeon. They liked the sample and asked Wendy to send them more. Eventually that resulted into a contract signing. It's not an exclusive contract but it says that she has to submit songs to KM Entertainment regularly. KM Entertainment has a lot of in-house producers but the artists they handle has grown and so the need for songs and demos are high.

 

Basically Wendy owes Yoona a lot that's why when Yoona talked about her girlfriend looking for a babysitter, Wendy volunteered readily.

 

"You've met Yonghwa, right?" Yoona asked all of the sudden.

 

Wendy nodded. "We've met via video call. He's your cousin, right?"

 

"Yeah. He's in-charge of our family's subsidiary which happens to be an entertainment company." Yoona answered.

 

Wendy didn't bother asking more. She didn't want to pry too much into Yoona's life. Yoona did her a huge favor already. If Yoona wants to share more about her life then she will gladly listen, if not then Wendy will mind her own business. Wendy has a guess of what kind of status in life Yoona belongs to. KM Entertainment, though a subsidiary, is a huge company on its own. It houses famous idol groups, singers, actors and models. They had to change their company name from KM Records to KM Entertainment because they now manage artists from different entertainment fields. To be associated with its President sends Yoona in a higher league much to Wendy's surprise. Not to mention KM Entertainment is a subsidiary of a conglomerate, the 2K Group.

 

Wendy has always thought her neighbor Yoona was this ordinary doctor. Yoona was no way ordinary though. She is a doctor, a lawyer and other things Wendy could not remember. Yoona is skilled and damn intelligent. She is a woman made of qualities a rich heiress mostly possesses.

 

The sound of the front door opening interrupted their talk. Jessica appeared in her black pencil skirt, blue off shoulder blouse, blue heels and black handbag.

 

"Hey, babe." She walked over to Yoona and gave her a peck on the lips. She turned to Wendy. "Hi, Wendy. How was today?" She started the conversation in English yet again.

 

Wendy chewed the lasagna first before answering. "It went well. Minguk was comparatively less active today but he did leave some stain on the walls and carpet."

 

Jessica sighed. "I knew it. Were you able to do your work though? I hope Minguk wasn't much of a bother."

 

Wendy shook her head. "No, Jessica, it's okay. I was able to create a melody so I wrote the lyrics right after. I would still need to add more layers to the song though." She fished out the lasagna container and bagel out of the bag and handed it over to Jessica. "Yoona bought us snacks."

 

Jessica took them and muttered a simple thanks. She stood by the counter, choosing not to sit down despite the ache at the bottom of her feet, and let Yoona engulf her in a back hug instead. "There's only three boxes left. Are you not gonna eat?" She looked at Yoona.

 

Yoona shook her head. "I have to visit Mrs. Martinez and check her surgical wound. Then I have to go back to the hospital because I will be assisting the head neurologist in a surgery."

 

Jessica looked at Yoona with worry. "Is it gonna be another sleepless night for you then?"

 

Yoona nodded. "I guess so. Neurosurgery is time consuming. The brain is the main controller of the body so any mistake no matter how small can affect the patient. That's why it consumes time so that the surgery can proceed well."

 

Jessica smiled dreamily. She couldn't help but swoon at the sight of her girlfriend in her medical mode. It wasn't much but Jessica always liked seeing Yoona in a doctor's gown. Somehow seeing Yoona like that gives her a sort of aura that sends Jessica's heart racing like a teenager. Jessica is a year less than thirty and yet she feels like a freaking teenager. Yoona has that kind of effect on her.

 

"I see." She pouted her lips and Yoona bent down to kiss them. "Just don't forget to eat dinner okay? You wouldn't want to pass out in the middle of the surgery."

 

Yoona chuckled. "Yes, ma'am." She then looked at her watch and frowned. "I guess I better go. See you tomorrow?"

 

Jessica nodded. "See you tomorrow."

 

Giving Jessica a last peck on the cheek, Yoona finally left but not after saying goodbye to Wendy. The two girls were left at the kitchen counter, sitting on the tall stools, as they munch away on their snack. Yes, snack. Jessica still has to cook dinner. They are not on a diet and with Minguk always craving food, the need to have at least five meals a day is important.

 

"By the way Wendy," Jessica momentarily paused eating to talk to Wendy. "You sent songs to KM Entertainment, right? Was there a song that got released already?"

 

Wendy shook her head. "No, not yet. However they will include three of my songs in Kim Taeyeon's next album. She's going to celebrate her twentieth anniversary by releasing an album with twenty songs!"

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow, thoroughly surprised that Taeyeon's name was mentioned. "Wow, that's a huge opportunity for you."

 

"I know!" Wendy agreed readily. "That's why I am so grateful to Yoona for sending my songs to KM Entertainment."

 

"She handed your songs directly to the president, right?"

 

"She did." She ate another spoonful of lasagna and talked after swallowing. "I couldn't believe it when I found out he was her cousin."

 

Jessica agreed by nodding. "She is a Kim. I don't know if you've heard about them but in Korea they are a very influential group that has expanded exponentially over the years."

 

"I know about them." Wendy swallowed another batch of lasagna. "I've read that business magazine you kept in your room. I didn't mean to pry, by the way, Minguk was playing at your vanity table and took it out of the drawer. I was curious so..."

 

Jessica smiled. "That's fine. Next time, however, make sure Minguk doesn't go near it. I wouldn't want him to ruin my cosmetics."

 

Wendy nodded, mentally noting the reminder. "Anyway, I read in the magazine that the Kim Family initially expanded their business when they merged with Kwon Consolidated. The Kims were the more affluent family. They found the opportunity to expand when they found out Kim Taeyeon was dating the Kwon's only heir, Kwon Yul. They arranged their marriage and expanded their business."

 

"Wow. You've read that?" Jessica was in awe. She didn't bother reading the magazine because she knew all about the Kims and the Kwons. She did date both Yul and Yoong and they both had stories to tell.

 

"Yeah." Wendy was totally clueless she was telling this story to the woman who knew them well. "After dominating the Korean market, their conglomerate wanted to expand overseas. Although their products are exported it didn't reach other countries and their revenue was low. And so they wanted to merge with an export company at that time, Hwang Enterprises. This company had contracts with huge Korean companies. Not only do they export their products, they also do the marketing for them."

 

"Yeah, Hwang Enterprises, despite being a medium sized company, made a name for themselves by being the best exporting company." Jessica added, making it sound like she remembered it off the mag although it really was an information Yoong and Tiffany told her.

 

"Exactly but.... Being the best exporting business was just one reason. The other reason the Kims wanted to merge with Hwang Enterprises was because of Tiffany Hwang. After finishing her degree in New York University, she was appointed by her late father as the Vice President of Sales and Marketing. She had a marketing plan for each product they were exporting and each product had a spike in sales." Wendy continued while munching on her bagel. "Tiffany Hwang's brilliance, and the friendship between Yul and her father, ignited the thought of arranging a marriage between their two children."

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow at Wendy's fluent story telling. "So are you interested in business tycoon marriages?"

 

"No, not really. It just made me realize how mighty Yoona's family is and yet despite reading that magazine it doesn't change my perspective of Yoona."

 

"And what is that perspective of yours?"

 

"That she is a great friend and a skillful multi-professional woman." Wendy grinned. "I mean, I didn't see her as the heiress that she should be."

 

Jessica agreed with a smile. "Yeah, Yoona really just oozes with a certain charisma, doesn't she? I don't see her as an heiress as well. For me she looks the best when she comes out in her surgical scrubs after an operation. She looks so dreamy."

 

"She looks the best in that outfit? As in you want to take her clothes off or something?" Wendy teased followed by a dorky laugh.

 

Jessica shot her a glare but Wendy already knew her well to know that glare meant she was spot on. "No, I mean yes, but I wouldn't want to get it on with her when she freaking just finished touching a human brain. If I have to choose, I'll get it on with a Yoona wearing her white doctor's coat."

 

"Best outfit, surgical one. Seductive outfit, white one." She was pertaining to the doctor's gowns. Wendy giggled, and after calming down, chomped up her bagel. "Thank goodness she won't be following the trend."

 

Jessica stopped eating and faced her with confusion. "What trend?"

 

"I mean arranged marriage." Wendy answered after swallowing. "It was never planned but Taeyeon dating an heir to a promising company provided possibilities of expansion. Marrying Yul led to the creation of KM Entertainment, their very first subsidiary. Yoong marrying Tiffany provided a boost in their marketing strategy. Merging with an export company provided better accessibility to more countries for their products. I just thought, you know, given how Yoona is a doctor and lawyer, maybe they would think of marrying her off to some family who have a law firm or hospital."

 

After hearing that, Jessica was rather silent for she was left pondering whatever Wendy just said. It might have just been Wendy babbling her usual self but she had a point. Why were arranged marriages done? It was obviously for self-preservation. You want the best for your family and your company, you want to expand your business and what better way than to permanently partner up with another business, with another family. Arranged marriage eliminates a possible competition and converts them to allies instead.

 

Now that she has thought about it, Yonghwa and Seohyun's marriage, though not arranged just like Yoong and Tiffany, it was certainly like Yul and Taeyeon's, a marriage out of mutual love. But just like how marriage with Yul had a purpose, marriage with Seohyun did too. She was a celebrated accountant, earning a moment of fame when she topped the accountancy exam in the whole country. Every accounting and auditing firm and banks wanted her service but eventually she chose the Korean National Bank, the overall in-charge of every monetary and currency issue from authorizing banks and pawnshops to printing of bills and checking the cycle of the currency around the country. They are like the police of currency.

 

Wendy's point isn't too far fetched. With how talented and skillful Yoona is, the list of possible people her family can think of arranging with her can range from one to many. All of the sudden Jessica felt nervous and insecure. Yoona has always been a league higher than her.

 

Shaking her head, Jessica came to her senses. There is no way in hell she'll be giving or losing Yoona to someone else. The Kim family was a past she was not okay to face but for the sake of being with Yoona, if it means keeping her, then Jessica can go ahead and face Yoong tomorrow and tell him straight that she is not going anywhere away from Yoona.

 

"Jessica." Wendy called and Jessica finally faced her after finding her wits. "Are you okay? I think I lost you there for a second."

 

"I'm fine. I was thinking of some school stuff." Jessica came up with an excuse.

 

"Oh. You and Yoona just can't keep your mind off your work, can you? You should try being like Krystal. She comes home and heads straight to bed. No worries at all."

 

"How I wish I have that carefree attitude but I am on my wits end and the class hasn't formally started yet." Jessica groaned. She checked her phone that rang indicating a message. It was Krystal. "Oh, Krystal is bringing dinner. Sweet. I don't have to cook."

 

There was about half a container left of lasagna and Jessica didn't touch her bagel so she kept the former on the fridge and placed the bagel near the fruit platter. She excused herself from Wendy so she could take a shower. Wendy beamed and embraced her time alone by going to her guitar and laptop and creating layers of melody for her new song.

 

Jessica placed her bag on her bedside drawer. She kicked her high heels off and threw her body down the soft mattress. The moment she closed her eyes her mind replayed the conversation she had with Wendy. Will Yoona follow Yoong and listen when her family demands she marry some rich spoiled brat like Tiffany or a wealthy egotistical guy? She has no idea what gender they will pair with Yoona for she can go both ways. Yoona did say however that her family accepts her orientation so maybe they will take that into consideration and maybe pair her up with a heiress who is into women as well.

 

Grabbing her hair and messing it around in frustration, Jessica kicked her legs in the air while whining like a little girl. "No, Yoona is damn stubborn. It's in the genes of the Kims. If she is decided into something there is no way in hell she'll change her mind."

 

Jessica sat up, trying to reason with herself. "And she decided to be with me. Her family needs to respect that, right?"

 

This insecurity that is gnawing her inside did not just appear today. It has always been there. It was there when she was still hung up on Yoong and envious of Tiffany. It was there whenever she saw the way Taeyeon longed for Yul with her gaze. It was there when she was hesitant to accept her feelings for Yoona because she knew it herself she was someone of a league way above hers. And yet she didn't succumb to her insecurity. No matter how perfect Yoona looked in her eyes, she didn't give in to her insecurities and selfishly embraced her feelings. Yoona chose her and she chose to be with Yoona despite knowing she is someone connected in her past that she wishes to never go back to. She wouldn't mind facing Yoong, Yul or any of the Kims tomorrow as long as Yoona is right beside her.

 

Yoona is the one who often assured and rid her of insecurities. Without Yoona by her side, Jessica feels weak while the Pandora's Box of her insecurities has started to eat her little by little until she's left in a state of paranoia that would not let her rest. Being deeply hurt and broken before has scarred her mental toughness. Alone in Barcelona, had she never met Yoona, she probably would have aborted her child and suffered mental illness like depression for instance. But Yoona's presence as a reliable helper and company has allowed Jessica to get over the monster called loneliness.

 

Without Yoona's touch right now, without her reassurance, Jessica isn't quite sure how she'll go to sleep in peace. Getting up from her bed, Jessica slipped on her white Crocs slip-on, grabbed her bag and went out of her room.

 

Wendy noticed the haste in Jessica's footsteps who was near the doorway already. "Jessica? Are you going somewhere?"

 

Jessica looked back with bated breath. "Y-Yeah. I'll be back later. I probably won't be able to see you off."

 

"That's okay, don't worry. You look like you're in a hurry." Wendy noted. "But be careful driving."

 

"Thanks. And thank you for today, Wendy. I'll see you tomorrow." With that goodbye, Jessica quickly left the house. She boarded her car while panting for air. She really was in a haste.

 

She wore her seatbelt, started the car and drove off their driveway. She is going to the hospital. She doesn't care if Yoona is not yet there or if she is now inside in the operation room. If she needed to wait until Yoona finished her operation then so be it. But she will not be going home without that damn hug.

 

 

****

 

 

Yoona didn't stay that long at Mrs. Martinez's house. She redressed her gauze, did some check-up and made sure to remind the old lady's nurse of the medicines and diet she needs.

 

After that she quickly made her way to the hospital. The main surgeon of the operation she will be assisting called and instructed her to come early because they will have to talk over some details for the surgery. Right after she parked her car, Yoona hurriedly walked to the office of Doctor Javier. She put on her white gown along the way. She was in a hurry to stop to fix her hair or steady her breathing. Fixing herself, she knocked at the door and when she heard his response, she went in.

 

Yoona had an hour to spare before the surgery. Doctor Javier talked to her to confirm once again the flow of the surgery. After going into details, including the smallest ones, she left his room and ever since then she has been roaming around the hospital. She decided to do quick but unannounced rounds on her patients.

 

After going to two patients, she decided to go to her office and change into her surgery outfit. The corridor leading to her office was bustling with people because it leads directly to the emergency room. She saw Ann, the Head Nurse, from a distance roaming around the emergency room, doing some inspections and touch-ups. She smiled when she saw Ann scold a male nurse for whatever reason and the later bowing in apology before rushing to correct his mistake.

 

Turning the door knob and entering her office, Yoona was surprised when she saw the lights were on. She remembered turning it off when she left earlier. She shrugged and proceeded to remove her white coat, hanging it at the coat hanger at the corner of her room. She was about to proceed to the locker room to change her outfit and sanitize her hands when she realized someone was sitting at her desk.

 

It was Jessica and she has already fallen asleep. Her right arm was placed on the table and became the pillow for her face. Yoona bent down beside Jessica, shaking her awake.

 

"Baby?" She called sweetly.

 

Jessica quickly stirred awake, as if she was waiting for Yoona to wake her up. She sat up and her gaze vehemently searched for Yoona. She looked to her left and met Yoona's tender gaze.

 

"Are you okay? I think I startled you. I probably shouldn't have woken you up." Yoona smiled a little, noting the disheveled look Jessica has with a few strands of hair blocking her face. Yoona could swear Jessica's candid look is the sweetest thing ever.

 

"I'm fine. I'm glad you woke me up." Jessica belayed the statement and grasped Yoona's right hand.

 

"By the looks of it, I think you need sleep more than anything else." Yoona said, face contorting out of concern.

 

"You're here now. That's what matters."

 

Yoona noticed the waver on Jessica's voice. She squeezed Jessica's hand. "Are you okay? You look... How do I put it? Unsettled, I guess?"

 

"Nothing. I was just..." Shaking her head, Jessica decided against telling Yoona. "I just missed you."

 

"You just saw me two hours ago." Yoona chuckled.

 

"I know." Jessica looked down, refusing to look Yoona in the eyes. "I just... I just laid on my bed and then my demons came out and tried to take me."

 

Yoona frowned, now obviously worried. "Are you having another panic attack? Anxiety? You're not doing well, are you?"

 

"No, no. Just... Can insecurity kill?" Jessica asked rhetorically but Yoona obviously looked anxious.

 

"Insecurity? Why? Are you feeling insecure of someone?" Yoona's free hand reached for Jessica's face and tenderly cupped it. "Come on, tell me. I don't like you feeling that way because you shouldn't. You deserve the world Jessica, you deserve only the best. So tell me, why are you feeling that way?"

 

Jessica cupped Yoona's face with both her hands. "No one made me feel this way. It's just one of those times when my demons got the best of me. You know how hesitant I was when I was trying to accept the fact that I was in love with you. I didn't want to lose you in case confessing might turn you away. And you know how I think I'm in a different league than you."

 

"You are in a different league than me, I know that." Yoona grinned. "You're in a higher league than I am."

 

"What are you talking about?" Jessica pushed her away, not believing the claim.

 

"That's the truth." Yoona retorted, reaching for Jessica's hand. "I don't know where you get this idea that we are worlds apart and that I am in a different league than you. I'm not. Because if I was in another league, I will not find you. You should set aside your insecurities about me because there is no place I'd rather be but by your side. It doesn't matter if my IQ is high or I have like three professions. At the end of the day I am human and I'm a perfect fit for a human like you."

 

"Other girls are also human, you know." Jessica reasoned.

 

"But they are not Jessica Jung." Yoona beamed.

 

Jessica sighed and wrapped her arms around Yoona. She hugged her tightly and tenderly. It's amazing how Yoona can quickly disperse her worries, her demons, and her insecurities. "I just had a sudden thought. 2K's expansion over the years involved marriages that benefited them. I just... I thought maybe they will arrange you a marriage to, let's say, a daughter of an owner of a huge law firm or hospital."

 

Yoona heaved a sigh before tucking a stray strand of hair behind Jessica's ear. "To be honest, the only arranged marriage in the family is Yoong's. Yonghwa and Aunt Taeyeon's marriages just happened to be a bonus that their other half possess qualities that can help them expand the company. It won't happen to me."

 

Jessica looked at her with uncertainty. "Really? Why?"

 

"Because I am not part of the company. And I will throw a fit. I hate it whenever someone tries to control my life. I am the master of my fate, the captain of my boat, I won't allow anyone to dictate otherwise."

 

"What if they disown you?" Jessica urged deeper.

 

"Then so be it. I was six years old when mom finally allowed dad and his family to meet me. They begged her to let me be part of the family. If they will disown me because they do not approve of you or because I will defy their wishes, it's not my loss. I was fine without them in my life."

 

"Are you sure?" Jessica asked, her tone like of a child asking yet again if she can truly eat the last piece of cake.

 

"I am. I love you, Jessica. A lot." Yoona said.

 

"Thank you, I feel better. In fact I feel great." Jessica finally was able to muster a smile. "I love you too. But don't turn your back on your family, okay? I feel better now so..."

 

Yoona chuckled. "I was really serious about that."

 

"No!" Jessica exclaimed. "Your family matters. I can't possibly wish you leave them."

 

"So are you feeling better now?" Yoona asked cheekily.

 

Jessica nodded profusely. "I feel better- no - I feel great!" Yoona really does wonders to her insecurities. It's like she's the trigger but she's also the one who chased it away.

 

"That's great to know because," Yoona looked at her watch. "I have five minutes left to prepare for my surgery."

 

Jessica gasped. "Oh, crap. Yeah, you did mention you have a surgery tonight. Sorry. I actually expected you were inside the surgery room already."

 

"You thought I was in surgery? And it didn't occur to you that you could have waited for hours before you could see me?" Yoona couldn't believe Jessica would stay in this room waiting and probably sleeping on that back breaking position in order to just talk to her, to alleviate her worries.

 

"I could wait. Anything. I just really needed to see you." Jessica stood up and pulled Yoona back to her feet. "You should go and prepare. I'm fine now."

 

Yoona took a fleeting gaze at Jessica before turning her back and making a run for it. She didn't forget to say goodbye but she went out so quickly that her voice trailed off. Jessica barely heard the word goodbye but she did catch Yoona's I love you.

 

"You have no idea how much I love you too." Jessica muttered. She grabbed her purse and left but not before sending a flying kiss to Yoona's framed photo on her wall - her graduation photo from Harvard.

 

 

*****

 

 

Staying in New York so far has been blissful. Yoong has been here a few times but he never really got to tour the place. His New Yorker wife though found it incredulous when Yoong admitted he never saw the Statue of Liberty up close.

 

They boarded the ferry and Sarang giddily laughed the closer the ferry got to Liberty Island. They were seated at the bow area of the ferry.

 

"I didn't know the statue is not American." Yoong quipped.

 

Tiffany chuckled. "Yeah, my thoughts exactly the first time I was here. It was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and built by Gustave Eiffel, French men, and given to the U.S as a gift."

 

Yoong grinned blithely. "Wow. Did you Google it or something?"

 

Tiffany playfully shoved his shoulder. "I knew it. For your information Mr. Harvard, I am quite smart too."

 

"I know you are." Yoong wriggled his eyebrows. "How about we catch lunch after this?"

 

"Sure. Any restaurant you have in mind?"

 

"I contacted Aunt Boa and she invited us over."

 

"At one of her restaurants?" Tiffany looked excited.

 

Yoong nodded. "Yeah. Then she offered her house. She said we can stay there instead of the hotel. We can save some money."

 

Tiffany laughed. "You, the next CEO of 2K Group, wants to save money?" She found it hilarious given that Yoong isn't exactly a thrifty person. 

 

He's a huge spender and between the both of them Tiffany's more conscious when it comes to spending and budgeting. She was the VP for Sales and Marketing at her father's company then for a reason. She was able to work on a tight budget but provided quality output that gave the company successful results and higher profit.

 

"Hey, I'm just saying. Besides, imagine this: we'll be getting a wonderful dinner from her for the rest of our stay. Isn't that sweet?" Yoong looked excited. He has always admired the way Boa cooked from the taste to the plating to the scent.

 

Boa wasn't able to finish her four year college degree because she shifted to culinary instead when her passion for cooking was ignited when she had to get creative with what to feed Yoona. She was supporting herself and her child without help from anyone. So she bought a cookbook about cheap and easy-to-make meals.

 

Her part-time job in a pizzeria earned her money for rent and expenses, and eventually the experience that she used to apply for a five star restaurant. They got left over vegetables that weren't fresh anymore and couldn't be serviceable the next day. So she bought proteins instead and made food out of the goods she got from the pantry as distributed by their manager. Then she had the money to buy a small gas range with an oven. After that she took baking and pastry lessons. She made bread and pastries at home which she sold to restaurants, cafes and markets and the extra money gave her enough to buy their own apartment. In no time Boa's career in the kitchen eventually gave her the courage to start her own cafe. Then its success spawned a restaurant until evidently her culinary life has expanded to what it is now. More than five stores around the globe and counting.

 

The visit to the Statue of Liberty was quick. Sarang, for some unknown reason, didn't look as thrilled looking at the statue than being at the ferry. Yoong admired it but he wasn't the type of person who will be taking pictures left and right. That was Tiffany's trait and she didn't care when her husband and daughter looked unimpressed at the latter part of their photoshoot.

 

They had lunch at Boa's restaurant. The salmon steak was superb, as Tiffany put it, and the nuts sundae was Sarang's favorite. Boa even served them Japanese wagyu beef seared with torch. Yoong couldn't remember how he ate it because right after it was served at their table, it disappeared before he could process the taste. It was that good.

 

After lunch, Boa hung her apron and personally drove Yoong and his family to her home, the same apartment she first bought after her culinary career had taken off. It was a two story house made of concrete. The outer walls were brown colored bricks that gave the house a nostalgic feeling.

 

Boa pressed a small remote and her garage door opened. She parked the car inside as the garage door closed.

 

Once they entered the house, Boa hung her keys by the kitchen counter where the rest of her keys were. She took off her coat and just threw it on top of her couch.

 

"This house is big, aunt Boa. How do you maintain this all by yourself?" Yoong asked as she put their luggage down.

 

"I don't." Boa replied with a chuckle. "I have a housekeeper and Yoona has encouraged me to get a foster kid. That way I will feel like a mother again. The kid helps at my restaurant and she is bad at studying." She smiles. "It feels good to be able to help her with her homework. Yoona knew how to do her homework and projects. Every time I go into her room to give her snacks and take a peek at her book, I don't understand anything. She was always studying books and lessons beyond her grade."

 

Yoong noticed a tall bookshelf at the corner of the house. It was a U shaped part of the house. The corners were lined with ceiling high bookshelves and at the center of all that is an office table with a swivel chair.

 

"Is this your office, aunt Boa?" He pointed at the spot.

 

She shook her head. "Well, now I use it for my office work. But that spot is originally Yoona's. Look at all these books." She moved closer to the shelves and dragged her finger across the hard and soft bound covers. "Lots of medical, law and business books."

 

"Yeah, there are a lot." Yoong agreed. "Once she returns all her books, this spot will be even more packed."

 

"What books?"

 

"Her books for references."

 

Boa stopped in her tracks. "What kind of reference?"

 

"For example, if I start practicing law I will need to open books or journals every once in a while especially for clients that have challenging cases. I may get confused so I will need to revisit some notes." Yoong, who has been carrying the soundly asleep Sarang, puts her gently down the couch next to Boa's coat.

 

"Oh, that." Boa crossed her arms as her shoulders shrugged. "Yoona didn't bring any book with her. She doesn't need it."

 

Tiffany's eyebrows creased in disbelief. "She must be good at memorizing stuff. I mean law may be easy for her but medicine may be difficult. She is a neurosurgeon too and there are a lot of nerves in the body. Does she not get confused with the tiniest nerves?"

 

Boa chucked. "Yoona memorized the anatomy of the human body. Weren't there visual charts for different systems of the body like the nervous system, cardiovascular system, and many others? She memorized them all. She has a really good memory. Books, charts, numbers, whatever it is, she can easily memorize it."

 

Yoong and Tiffany looked confused and surprised at the same time. Boa can probably not put the actual explanation into words but what her mind and mouth can tell them is actually fascinating enough. It's also mind boggling they are left speechless. Yes, Yoong has always prided himself to be smart but he has to admit that his memory is not as sharp as Yoona's.

 

"I know you guys are confused. She was diagnosed with eidetic memory when she was five." Boa added.

 

"Eidetic memory?" Tiffany gasped.

 

"Like photographic memory?" Yoong's mouth hang agape.

 

Boa chuckled. "Yeah." Then she sighed. "I never finished college. I did try to study for two years but I never really liked it. I was busy with my part time job and raising Yoona. Eventually when she started walking and listening to me, I brought her to the restaurant I work at. I was the bookkeeper. It helped that I had a bookkeeping course while in college. Then when I got promoted, I finally had the luxury of getting a babysitter. That was the time I decided to learn cooking. So the owner, who was also the head chef, sponsored my enrollment to a culinary school for a year. Then he hired me to be in his kitchen and worked my way up. Eventually, I decided to open my own restaurant when Yoona turned five."

 

She sat down on the swivel chair. "Yoona's babysitter told me that she was teaching Yoona numbers and letters. To her surprise, she found Yoona reading her thesis for her finals project. Yoona didn't understand the words but she was able to read them. Then she started schooling. After the first day of school, her homeroom teacher told me that she doesn't need to be in nursery. She recommended Yoona be moved to a higher year. That was also the same recommendation of her first grade, second grade and third grade teachers."

 

Yoong looked surprised yet again. "You mean she skipped four grades when she was five?"

 

"Including nursery, yes." Boa answered. "I asked her third grade teacher to let her stay in class. She was only five and needed to be around people her age." She recalled the memory. "She had a lot of friends. Third graders found it cute and cool that a five year old is studying amongst eight year olds. The teachers recommended Yoona take an IQ test. The results made doctors curious of her and repeatedly asked me to allow them to do a study about her.”

 

“And what did you say?” Yoong asked, interested.

 

“I declined it.” Boa answered. “Thank goodness when Yoona turned six, Jaejoong reached out to me. He and his parents begged me to allow Yoona to be a part of their family. They have been looking for me ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter