I gotta go my own way

Triangle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First month of therapy enabled Yoong to finally feel and move his toes. On the second month he can bend his knee and make circles with his foot. On the third month he can finally circle his hips.

 

Now on his forth month, Yoong can finally stand up. His therapy is thrice a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He was discharged from the hospital already but instead of staying in the house he shared with Tiffany, he temporarily lives in Taeyeon's house. Tiffany is also there as well as Yul. They have decided that in order for Yoong to get better, the three of them need to work together very closely.

 

The three of them also share the same mission- finding Jessica. They are using all of their connections to find the woman. One of Yul's business colleague, an airline owner, helped him ask the Incheon airport about the last flight Jessica took.

 

Unfortunately the government owned establishment cannot disclose that information. They checked the businessman's airline company, a european based airline, if Jessica ever boarded one of their planes.

 

Fortunately they found out that Jessica bought two tickets, one to Berlin and one to London. The bad news is that Jessica never actually boarded either one of the planes.

 

"I've talked to Moon Jaehyuk." Yul told Tiffany and Taeyeon who are both in the veranda having their evening tea. "He has a former apprentice working in the airport. His apprentice agreed to look out for more information about Jessica, to look for that flight she took."

 

Tiffany sat still, lost in her thoughts. She's actually thinking about what will they do if ever they find Jessica. How will they bring her back?  Will she come with them in peace? What if Jessica doesn't want to come back anymore? What if she doesn't want to go back to her miserable life and by miserable meaning a life without Yoong? Tiffany knew that Jessica has no more reason to return. She's quit her job, hidden from Yoong and his family and she's taken her future child with her, a child that could either be Yoong's or Yul's.

 

"And if we find the flight she took," Tiffany lifted the underliner that carried the teacup then hooked a finger around the cup handle for a sip. "how will we bring her back?"

 

Yul and Taeyeon exchanged looks before averting their gaze back to Tiffany. Taeyeon bent her body forward a little before speaking.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"What if Jessica unnie won't come with us?" Tiffany sighed heavily. "I want to keep my promise with Yoong but- I don't know. I feel like Jessica unnie went away for a reason and-"

 

"But this if we don't bring her back then Yoong will be devastated." said Yul plainly though there was a trace of uncertainty even when he donned a poker face. "He's holding on at the fact he will see Jessica again. Isn't that the reason why he accepted the therapy? He won't even talk before but because of this promise he has recovered tremendously."

 

"I know what you mean Yul but Tiffany's right." Taeyeon but her lower lip uneasily. "Jessica certainly chose to leave and I guess it has something to do with Yoong. Maybe she needed a lot of space."

 

"A space for what?"

 

"To forget Yoong." said Tiffany as if damn sure with it. "Because if I were Jessica unnie, if I loved Yoong so much and I realize there is no more turning back, when I have no more reason to stay here, then I'll need to be in a far distance away from him or else-"

 

"Or else?" Taeyeon prodded.

 

Tiffany looked back into the eyes of her in-laws. "Or else I wouldn't bear being far away from him. I might just come the next day, begging for Yoong to take me back once again." She laughed humorlessly. "But wouldn't that be pathetic? Just to be with Yoong I will do the most outrageous thing- beg him."

 

Taeyeon and Yul fell silent. They never really understood Tiffany's feelings for Yoong. If it is true that she loved their son the same way Jessica does, then maybe what Tiffany said made sense.

 

Tiffany leant back against her metal chair, holding her coffee cup without sipping for the second time. She was lost in her thoughts, racking her brain of the possible scenarios regarding Jessica's return.

 

"I'll just go to the kitchen unnie." Tiffany arose from her seat, leaving the cup and going to the kitchen. "Yoong will call for dinner any time soon-"

 

"Tiff?" came a voice upstairs, making Tiffany chuckle.

 

Once Tiffany was upstairs with Yoong's dinner, Yul sat beside Taeyeon, holding her hand tightly and giving it a light squeeze.

 

"Yoong's making a huge progress, don't you think?" He said after a moment of silence.

 

Taeyeon nodded her head, recalling what the therapist has told her. "The therapist said that maybe in one more month Yoong can finally move. He can finally walk."

 

"I heard your mom and dad bought a set of walking stick and walking wheels."

 

"Yes, they did. Dad was really happy with Yoong's progress." Taeyeon sighed heavily. "He said Yoong's situation reminded him when he got his mild ." She remembered those times her father struggled with the pain of stretching his involuntary limbs from the left side of his body.

 

She remembered her dad screaming in pain whenever the therapy took it's toll. At his age, the pain would have been significantly higher especially since he is older but even though Yoong is younger and more vigorous, that doesn't lessen the fact that the process is painful.

 

Whenever they go to Yoong's sessions, Taeyeon will always hear him cry out in pain. Every time that happens, the nail stuck in her heart kept being hammered again and again. Her heart bleeds for her son. No mother would like to see her child in pain. There are two reasons why Taeyeon doesn't cry in front of Yoong. First, ever since Yoong accepted going into therapy in exchange of finding Jessica,  he never once complained about the pain. He endured it beautifully. Second, Taeyeon didn't want to look weak in front of her son. Yoong needs a pillar of support.

 

That pillar which was previously occupied by Jessica needed to be replaced by Yul, Taeyeon and Tiffany combined. In other words, the void Jessica left was tremendous. It cannot be easily replaced.

 

"We need to find her." said Taeyeon after a curtain of silence befell the two of them. "We need to find Jessica."

 

"I know." Yul took a sip of his own coffee. "But to be honest... Don't you think bringing Jessica back will complicate things? What if she decided not to leave Yoong's side anymore? What will happen to Tiffany?"

 

"It's not about that anymore." explained Taeyeon. "She won't stay. If she has the last remaining pride left within herself, she won't stay. She can't insist herself in a place she does not belong."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean," Turning to Yul, Taeyeon's gaze changed into a cold one. "She can't go back to you because you have me and she can't go back to Yoong because he has Tiffany."

 

"But what about Yoong?" Worry was evident in Yul's voice. "You saw him. He was devastated. Do you think he will let her leave again?"

 

"He has to." Taeyeon sounded so serious. "I'm doing this as a favor for our son, Yul. But at the same time I'm thinking of a way not to hurt Tiffany."

 

"Everyone will be hurt with Jessica's return." Yul refuted.

 

"It's better that I be hurt than see my son slowly turn insane, getting paranoid over a woman who ran away with his child after trampling with his heart." Taeyeon was panting heavily after saying that with so much passion.

 

She was definitely angry with Jessica. That woman not only hurt Tiffany, Yul and Yoong, she also made a fool out of everybody including Taeyeon herself.

 

"How are you sure that Yoong's the father-"

 

Taeyeon whipped her head back to Yul, frowning slightly. "Because the selfish part within me cannot imagine that it is yours." She shook her head vehemently. "Not now, not ever."

 

Yul sighed heavily. Pulling the hand he is holding, Yul trapped Taeyeon in a hug that he hope will calm her down. "Here, here. Calm down. Relax."

 

She buried her face at the crook of his neck, trying so hard to hold back her tears. She was feeling emotional lately especially with the condition Yoong has right now. The only thing that alleviate those combined emotions is Yul. He's the only one she needs right now.

 

"I'm really hesitant to find Jessica, Yul." She admitted. "It will be hard to tear her apart from Yoong when they reunite. What about Tiffany? She's a child I deeply care for Yul."

 

"We'll think of a plan." He told her. He has no definite plan as of yet but that can be done later. For now he needed to be beside Taeyeon.

 

 

****

 

 

Tiffany grinned proudly when Yoong managed to finish his dinner. The accident somewhat affected Yoong's appetite. At first he had difficulty chewing because of his swollen jaw then when the swelling lessened he had a hard time swallowing because whenever he swallow huge lumps his lung, that was injured by his broken ribs, contracts involuntary.

 

Actually his lung and rib injury limited his movement so much. The fact that the only part that needed therapy was his lower torso was a relief in itself because despite small movements of his upper torso, Yoong will always be in pain. He was always in pain that why he takes painkillers every six hours. Thankfully after three months, a month prior to him standing again, his lung and rib injury got better. The hole in his lung started closing and the ribs are starting to stick back its proper places. There no longer was a rib protruding and poking his lung.

 

Yoong felt like it has been ages since he was able to breath freely. However the third problem arose when his appetite disappeared. After a month, his fourth month into recovery, he is slowly regaining that appetite back. He has to admit staying for now with his mother which allowed him to taste her wonderful home cooking once again contributed to the fact his big appetite is returning.

 

If there is another thing Yoong is thankful for, it's the unwavering fact Tiffany stayed with him all the time. She was by his side twenty-four seven and Yoong couldn't be anymore grateful. The worst thing could happen most of the time is getting horrible flashbacks of his accident- glass shattering, car upturning, his body breaking, the upturned roof skidding against the pavement, blood flowing and uneven breathing- all which had happened  when Yoong was inside his new Audi that exploded into flames a few moments after Yoong was pulled out of it.

 

No matter how tragic those memories are, the only dream that left him writhing, squirming, and screaming in his sleep was Jessica. All those beautiful memories they shared together transformed into hideous and unpleasant encounters.

 

For example he has a very sweet memory of how Jessica cooked him breakfast one morning, a surprise visit after days of not seeing each other. When Yoong woke up, Jessica had set up a fantastic table topped with centerpiece and delicious breakfast. They made love afterwards. But in his dream, they didn't make love. Jessica has swiped away the table set-up, furiously accusing Yoong of his cowardice, his failure to step up for Jessica and their relationship.

 

Yoong wondered whether those dreams are somewhat true. What if Jessica indeed feel that way? Shaking his head, Yoong disregarded the idea. He didn't want to think negatively. He wanted to believe the thought Jessica is not waiting for him.

 

Yet another promblem surfaced. Yoong desired to be with Jessica but at the same time he cannot allow himself to hurt Tiffany. The girl had been nothing but understanding, stayed beside him despite finding out he cheated on her, nursed him to health and loved him every single day. Yoong had grew fond of Tiffany, grateful with all the things she has done for him.

 

"Next time I'll eat at the dining table, Fany-ah." said Yoong, smiling a bit at her.

 

"Will you be fine? It's a flight of stairs, Yoong." Tiffany gazed at Yoong anxiously.

 

"I'll be fine." Yoong gave a small laugh. "Really, I'll be fine. Didn't the therapist say it's better to practice moving around the house? I can already walk, Fany-ah. Aren't you proud of me? I've improved drastically!"

 

"Of course I'm proud of you, Yoong. I'm just worried about you. You have a difficulty every time you climb or descend the stairs."

 

"Well it's all good. Don't pamper me too much. It's better if I am training myself to be tough, right- that recovering from paralysis isn't exactly a picnic. It's been hard but it's gonna be worth it." And then he flashed her a small smile.

 

Tiffany eventually relented. She was just hesitating because she didn't want Yoong to have any difficulty or feel any pressure. She can wait patiently for his recovery and if he is insisting on pushing himself to a speedy recovery then Tiffany will just as much cheer and support him.

 

"It's Monday tomorrow. Are you ready for your session?" asked Tiffany after putting aside the tray of empty chinawares on top the bedside table.

 

"Of course. I've been looking forward to it. I'm gonna take ten laps at the walking bars this time. I think by the end of the session I can move around without a walking stick anymore."

 

Tiffany laughed a little at his overconfidence. "Really? You don't need the stick anymore?"

 

"Okay maybe I need it a little." Yoong relented with a bashful grin.

 

Tiffany reached out for his face, cupping his right cheek passionately. "I'll just return the dishes back downstairs and then I'll join you to bed. Get some sleep now."

 

"You don't expect me to sleep with full stomach, do you?" His eyebrows formed slants before cheekily waving them.

 

Shaking her head, Tiffany straightened her back. She reached for the tray but before she can even hold it, a sharp tug has managed to pull her down the bed.

 

"Yoong-" She shrieked, feeling a heavy weight pressed on top of her.

 

Yoong let a playful grin. His doe like eyes staring into Tiffany own clear orbs. "You look lovely tonight."

 

"How will I look lovely when I just arrived from work?" She refuted. "I'm drained."

 

Just then Yoong's smile was replaced by a frown. "You're stressing yourself?"

 

"Well not really-"

 

"But you're pregnant, Fany-ah! You cannot stress yourself!"

 

Tiffany was speechless for quite some time. She was rather taken aback by Yoong's statement. Four month after yet it often slip her mind that she is pregnant. It was probably because her mind is either at work or worried sick about Yoong.

 

And now that Yoong said it, Tiffany has never really heard him mention about her pregnancy since he was in the hospital. Did he fear to bring it up? Or did he not just acknowledge the fact?

 

"Hey..." Yoong's voice woke her from her thoughts. "Since we're going to the hospital tomorrow, we should visit a obstetrician. Do you have any idea what the gender is? Is it a boy? A girl? Or maybe it's a set of twins?"

 

Tiffany couldn't helpt but smile a little upon hearing his excited voice. "I don't know the gender yet. Last time Taeyeon unnie and I went to see a doctor it was as small as an apple you know?"

 

Yoong glance down at the bulging four month stomach. His gaze, warm and loving, shifted back to Tiffany. "I'm sorry."

 

Tiffany frowned, not understanding. "What for?"

 

"I was being an ." He admitted. "You've put up with my doucheness far too long. I've never even mentioned the baby."

 

She shooked her head. "It's totally fine. You had lots of things in your mind. I don't want to burden you-"

 

"I'll try to forget Jessica noona." He said.

 

Tiffany's eyes instantly started to water. "W-what?" Never in her wildest dream did she think this will happen. Yoong, the man so crazily in love with Jessica, will try to forget her? Has hell frozen over?

 

"I already know she's not coming back." He continued. "She's no longer part of my life."

 

"Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter