Page 24: Family Reunion

Lucky Star

 

24

“How could I give my forgiveness if in the first place she wasn’t asking for it?”

All of the chosen contestants of Haru Haru singing contest gathered to have their practice. I was with Ushio, practicing our song.

For once, I wanted to forget the issue about my mother and brother. They were so close to me, but revealing my true identity wasn’t easy. I was afraid I could hear rejection again.

“Just a moment” said Ushio, leaving me for a while.

I left alone in the music room (the other contestants were done practicing, it was Ushio and my turn now)

I started to sing the new song I prepared for the competition. Actually, it was Sho who chose this piece for me.

As I began to sing, I didn’t notice the arrival of Ms. Okui.

 

Luckily

 

When I was done singing, I heard her applause.

My eyes got widened.

“Sorry to disturb you, but I came here to apologize.”

“What?”I couldn’t believe what I heard.

I felt nervous when she walked near me. “Actually, I said those things to you because you reminded the wrong things I did” she said.

Pretending, I responded. “What do you mean, ma’am?”

“Your song last time- that was the song I taught to my daughter, the daughter I abandoned.”

I lower my head “Yeah, Kouji told me about it.”

“You’re song reminds me of my mistakes, that’s why I became mean to you, gomen!” she apologized.

I nodded. “I just wondering, why did you abandon her?” I questioned.

She looked at me, and then she turned her eyes away. “It was a very long time” she said. “Maybe she has a family by now… I’m not really sure; I’m too coward, to face her again. I know she hates me, because I’m a bad mother”

“You’re not sure about that, maybe she just wanted to know your reason, why you left her”

“My reason…” She stopped. It seemed that she didn’t want to talk about it.

 

“I want to hear it, please tell me…” I thought, wishing to know what was real.

“I left her because I’m selfish!” she said, and then she remembered what she did.

 

When she saw what happened to my face, she lost her hope. Of course she couldn’t bring me in the talent agency anymore. Added to that was the big amount we spent for the medicines and hospital bill. That was the reason why she was tempted.

For the sake of having a better living, she accepted the marriage proposal of an old friend who brought her in America. It was hard for her to leave, but she did it.

I was sleeping in the hospital, when she bid her goodbye. She was crying while touching my hair. “I promise, I’ll be back and get you!”

 

When she reached America with Kazu-chan, things became smooth. She was already planning to get me, when a tragedy took the life of her new husband. Because of what happened, her life became miserable. Instead of giving what she should get, her in-laws became cruel to her. She was already giving up when she met the owner of TVQ station.

In the train station, a handsome guy (the owner of TVQ) saw her crying.

That simple meeting changed her life forever.

*

“Nee-chan!” Ushio returned with drinks in can.

“Is he your brother?” She asked, looking at Ushio. For a moment she thought she saw his first love (our father) Ushio had physical similarities with him.

 

I answered “Yes, he’s my brother. Ah…” I looked at Ushio “He’s Ms. Okui-Kouji’s mother”

“Yeah, I know her, nice meeting you ma’am!” Ushio bowed.

 

“Maybe I should leave now” she said not wanting to disturb our practice.

“Ah, maam…” I called, “Can you teach me how to sing this piece?” I asked, trying to be with her at this moment.

She smiled, granting my request.

*

 

S.T.ar was busy rehearsing for their coming concert. It said that the winner of Haru Haru singing contest would be their special guess.

 

In Hoshimura residence, Miss Eun hye together with Hitomi and Min ho visited. Mama was so happy to see them. They talked non- stop about food; dress, about me and about Hitomi’s new love life.

Shinji who was also there smirked. “Really, you have suitors?”

“How about you Eun hye?” asked Mama since Miss Eun hye allotted most of her time in work. She responded a smiled, remembering Sho Sakurai.

“Don’t tell me you too, have suitor?” teased Shinji.

Eun hye blushed.

“How about you Min ho, how’s your love life?” asked Mama.

Min ho smiled “Girl firend? Coming soon!”

“By the way Aunt Chisa, when will Uncle back?” asked Hitomi, referring to Mama’s husband (Jun’s father)

 

“Probably, by next month” mama answered.

 

***

 

HARU HARU SINGING CONTEST [SEMI FINAL]

 

 I was popular, not only because of the contest but because I was Jun’s girlfriend.

She’s Jun’s girlfriend. Most of the people know me by that. Of course, I didn’t like it. I want to have my own name.

 

I froze as I stepped on the stage.  I should start singing, but something bothered me.

 

“Let’s go!” said Kouji hurriedly. He wanted to watch my performance live.

Sho looked at Jun “You knew it, right?”

“Not really” Jun answered.

“Hey, what are you talking about?”

 Sho smiled “It’s nothing”

 

Back to the contest,

I held the microphone tightly “Before I sing, I want to take this opportunity to say this” I started. My words took many attentions. “Before I became a manga artist or Jun’s girlfriend as what everybody knows by now… I was a daughter, a daughter who always wanted to please her mother”

 

“Kouji, how’s your search for your sister?” asked Sho on their way to the studio where the contest was executing.

Kouji smiled “I already hired a private detective. By now, I’m sure she will be found”

“Good to hear that” said Sho.

Shortly, they reached the studio.

 

“This song…” I said “I want to dedicate this to my mother. I looked at her direction. I knew she could feel it, that I was her daughter.

“Miho?” my mother whispered

Then I began my song.

 

When I am exhausted, Lucky in my life
You come to me as if in a dream
When I sadly fall asleep, Lucky in my dream
You warmly hold me tight

I always smile like this
Even though the world is difficult
I will never show my tears
Even if you do don’t know my feelings
Even if it is from far away, I am grateful
That I can cherish your smile

 

 

My mother stood up. “Is she really Miho?” he wondered.

Jun’s manager who was beside her questioned. “What’s wrong madam?”

“That girl, her name is Ushio Omori, isn’t it?”

“That’s her pen name, her real name is…”

“Miho, Miho Ueda?”

Jun’s manager nodded “Yes!”

My mother froze. She couldn’t believe, her own daughter was standing in front of her.

“How did Jun meet her?” she inquired.

Jun’s manger blinked her eyes “Well, they met because of a car accident” she narrated. “It was Jun’s fault, so to avoid conflicts; he offered a surgery to fix her face.”

“You mean…”

“Yes, she’s ugly before”

 

When I want to cry, Lucky in my love
You look so cool in my imagination
When I feel depressed, Lucky in my world
You always hold me tight, as if in a dream

I always smile like this
Even though the world is difficult
I will never show my tears
Even if you do don’t know my feelings
Even if it is from far away, I am grateful
That I can cherish your smile

Everything is beautiful, I am so happy
I fill this lonley world with my wishes

I always smile like this
Even though the world is difficult
I will never show my tears
Even if you do don’t know my feelings
Even if it is from far away, I am grateful
That I can cherish your smile

Come one step closer to me

 

Tears fell from my eyes as I finished singing.

*

“Miho!” my mother called, as she followed me in the back stage.

 

She was crying when she ran to me, and hugged me tight. “I’m sorry, I’m really sorry!” she wept.  I could feel how regretful she was, so without realizing it, I began crying. Slowly, I hugged her. This was what I had been craving for, a hug from my mother.

“Mama!” I bit out, finally…

 

Kouji with Sho and Jun arrived.

“Mi-chan…” said Kouji as he saw the two of us. He didn’t understand what was happening, but he could guess what it was. He looked to Sho, and then to Jun to know if they were thinking the same.

“Yes Kouji” said Sho. “Miho is your sister”

*

 

When I noticed their arrival, I smiled on Kouji “Kazu-chan?” I called.

Kouji’s tears sprout, as he realized I was his sister. He immediately ran and hugged me “Nee-chan!”

Finally, we were re-united.

 

Shortly, things went through. I didn’t make it to the final of Haru Haru, but Ushio did. He won the first place.

 

*

“Looks like everybody are asleep” said Kouji the night when we went home.

I stayed for a 2 days with my mother. I, Ushio and Kouji had a vacation with her.

“C’mon Nee-chan, let’s sleep too”

“Okay!” I answered.

Kouji went to his room, as well as I, but I remembered Jun. I badly missed him so I went to his room.

He was on his bed, sleeping like a baby. I smiled as I came closer and kissed his lips “Sweet dreams!” I whispered

“Miho?” He opened his eyes.

“You’re awake?”

Jun rose from lying. “I can’t wait to ask you this” he said.

“Ask what?” I wondered.

“Your relationship with Kouji and Misato, why didn’t you tell me about this?” he whined.

I gasped lowering my eyes. “Gomen!” I apologized. “I didn’t intend to keep this from you”

I wanted to explain myself to Jun, but before I finished my words he smiled to me. He easily understood my side.

“Next time, I won’t allow you to keep any secret” he warned.

I shook my head, and then hugged him. “I miss you”

“I miss you too” he replied.

Then we kissed.

That night belong to us.

****************

 

Last chapter is next!

Thank you very much for staying till the end!