Page 1: Miho and Ushio

Lucky Star

1

            When I was a child many people used to praise me for my cuteness and talent in singing. My mother always took care of me: she combed my hair and bought me beautiful dresses.  My mother wanted me to be a child actress. Her dream was possible since I had beauty and talent in singing but everything changed because of a car accident.

 

Mao Inoue as Miho Ueda                         Masaki Aiba asUshio

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLB0LxcGxRhrPrlA35-zx      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhS37Y7AdwbgPRPhM86nt

 

           “Miho, wake up!” called Ushio, my brother.

I was awoke from my deep sleep when I realized that we finally arrived in Tokyo.

I looked at Ushio.   “Ushio, I’m a bit nervous” I said.

He smiled and tapped my shoulder. “Daijoubu, I’m here. I’ll protect you.”

            Ushio’s words made me feel better.

 

 Being out of school, and having an ugly face like this, I don’t know how to continue living.           

 

My name is Miho Ueda, 23 years old.

I was born in Hiroshima. My grandfather who was my guardian died recently because of tuberculosis. To pay his funeral I left with no choice but to sell our house. Having nothing, Ushio, my half brother told me to live with them. Ushio and I had been close during our childhood.  For 15 years, her mama worked overseas so he used to leave Ushio with us. It was just now that Ushio stayed in Tokyo because of his studies and the sudden return of his mother. 

 

            Ushio’s mom looked at me from head to toe. “You’re Miho?” she asked. 

            “Yes” I answered. “Please to meet you madam.” It was my first time meeting her. I noticed she made face, maybe because of my looks.

            “I heard from Ushio about the accident but I didn’t imagine that it was really devastating.”

            “Mama!” called Ushio stopping her mother. “Miho-nee needs rest, Nee-chan let’s go!”

 

Ushio told me to rest.  I planned to sleep for a while but I can’t.  The accident happened 14 years ago but the memories seemed to be yesterday. That was the worst thing happened to me.  Because of that accident, my face had deformed. As I looked my self in the mirror, my tears were automatically fallen.

 

As I woke up the next day, Ushio’s mom threw me water. “Wake up! You’re not a princess here!”

As I thought Ushio’s mom will be cruel.  She shown kindness only when Ushio was around. I should expect this because I’m the result of his husband’s dishonesty. I know it was awkward to live with her but I didn’t have any choice.

 

After helping in house chores and in the boutique managed by Ushio’s mom I decided to left and look for any publishing company. I saw the Ishida Publishing house. Unknown to many my dream was to be a Manga Artist. The guard had  glance with me I know it’s because of my ugly looks, I just ignored him. 

 

When I asked the receptionist she told me to wait at the waiting area. As I sat down I noticed how big the publishing house was. I took my cell phone that was given to me by Ushio and opened the internet. I searched for Ishida Publishing House learning that it was the most popular company here in Tokyo.  They published best quality of manga and they even had school for aspiring manga artist.  Added to that, the founder of the said publishing was Chisa Ishida, my favorite manga artist: the author of the first and only manga I’ve read,  Momo’s residence.

           

            I felt really nervous so I decided to go in the comfort room, I asked the receptionist about the way.  Upon going I bumped a tall guy with shades. He was so handsome and I know I saw him before.

            “Gomen!” I said.  He didn’t respond instead he took the envelop I fell.  That guy saw my manga.

            “Are you planning to submit this?” he asked.  I nodded then he responded cruelly. “Forget it; you’re just wasting your time.”

 

            After the accident I was immuned from criticism. Everybody criticized me for my looks and for not being graduated in high school, and now somebody criticized me because of my manga.

 

            Despite that I still passed my work but just like what the guy said, I wasted my time.    The manager a half Japanese half Korean named Okuda Eun hye rejected my work.

 

            I’m about to weep but I held on. I decided to go home. I told what happened to Ushio. I knew he will comfort me and I wasn’t wrong.  He gave me uplifting words.

 

            “There are so many companies out there.  Just don’t lose hope and always remember that your brother Ushio is always here for you”

 

            I was comforted. “Arigatou Ushio.”

            Then Ushio showed me his favorite band. We watched some of their MTV’s. It was known as S.T. ar. It was composed of 3 members.  His favorite was Kouji Okui who went in America recently to study English.  The other two were Sho Sakurai and Jun Omori. I was shocked when I saw Jun Omori in TV. “He was the guy who criticized my manga”

 

Ninomiya Kazunari as Kouji Okui

Sho Sakurai as Sho Sakurai

Jun Matsumoto as Jun Omori