Page 12: Because I'm poor (Miho and Eun hye)

Lucky Star

 

“Hitomi let’s go to the amusement park!” said Jun when he was in high school. He found Hitomi busy in drawing.

“Gomen Shin… I made a deadline need to finish my manga before school starts” she answered without even looking at Jun.

Jun frowned as he replied. “Okay… but let me stay here” He sat beside Hitomi, staring at her. Suddenly his phone beeped. There was a text message from Sho asking if he can accompany him to buy CD. “Hitomi, I’ll be back within an hour” he said but Hitomi didn’t bother to respond.

 

Jun was looking at me while I was drawing manga. I noticed his glare so I asked him. “Aren’t you going to the TV station?”

“I have my day off today” he replied.

“Really?!!” I reacted without even looking.

Jun smiled. “Since it’s my day off I’m planning to invite you on a date but I think you’re busy…”

I froze. I turned my head slowly. “Did I just hear the word, date?”

Jun nodded.

In a matter of one minute I packed up my things.

“Aren’t you busy?” asked Jun

“Yes but it’s so rare that you’ll having a day off”

Jun smirked “You really want a date, huh?”

“Of course so where are we going?”

“Actually I want to ask you that, where do you want to go?”

“Let’s see…I wanted to go in Disney Land or Yamaa Park or in Tokyo tower- but it might bother Jun’s privacy. How about in the mountain, camping is a nice idea-but staying in a cold place may tempt us, I don’t want that. So what will be the perfect place?” I thought.

“Have you decided?” asked Jun.

I frowned since I didn’t have any idea.

“How about in Marounouchi, they have delicious food there” Jun suggested.

Upon hearing his suggestion an idea came in my mind. “Right, food, I’m going to prepare food for you!”

“What?”

“Yes, let’s have a dinner house date but for now, let’s go in public market!”

“Public market?”

 

            In able to be not recognize, Jun wore maong pants and white shirt, I wore the same. My t-shirt had a teddy bear on it. I love this since this was a gift from Ushio.

           

“Is this your first time going here?” I asked while we were walking.

“Nope” Jun replied.

“You mean you have been in this place?”

“Yes, for almost 10 years I guess”

“10 years?” I couldn’t believe his word.

“Before my mom got a nice job my father was a vendor here, during that time we’re really poor” Jun revealed.

“You’re poor?” I repeated.

“Yes, we’re penniless”

 

After buying ingredients we headed home then I started cooking. Jun helped me, we prepared Italian food. We also invited Sho in our dinner.

 

The next day, in the school cafeteria I told those things to Min ho. He was happy to see me and Jun doing great; he also gave his comment about their family back ground.

“I didn’t remember being penniless maybe because I was young those days” he said laughing.

We’re in the middle of our conversation when a girl arrived.

“Min ho!” she called. She was really angelic. Her semi brown long hair and eye glasses fit well.

“Who is she?” I asked.

“Ah, she’s an employer in Ishida” Min ho introduced trying to hide from me that she was Hitomi.

“Really, she’s from Ishida” I blasted “Ah, miss my name is Miho Ueda, Min ho’s classmate, nice to meet you”

Hitomi fired an eye on me.

“Hey, why are you here?” asked Min ho.

“I just want to visit my old school” she replied.

“Hey, miss” I interfered “Since you’re from Ishida can I ask your opinion about my manga, mind you my dream is to be a manga artist”

She smirked “Sure”

“Wait for a minute” I left to get the manga in my locker.

            “So she’s Miho” Hitomi bit out.

            Min ho was speechless.

            When I returned I carefully hand my manga to the girl.

            “So, what do you think?” I asked nervously.

            She was holding my manga. “I like your plot” she started “But your illustration and deliberation .”

“Eh?”

“This is like a piece of trash, so ugly like your original face!”

“Hitomi!” called Min Ho stopping her.

 That was the time I realized who was she. She was Jun’s ex girlfriend, a manga goddess. She was criticizing my work. She also knew the incident about my plastic surgery, how it be?

“What’s the problem with that, I’m just telling the truth” she said.

“Hai!” I nodded. Min ho, she’s right.”

“See, Miho accepts my opinion. It’s really true her manga isn’t good and back then she has ugly face” Hitomi insisted.

“What do you mean, Hitomi?” Min ho got confused.

Hitomi grinned “I hear this from Jun’s manager that they paid Miho’s plastic surgery”

“Plastic surgery?” Min ho looked at me. “You mean Miho is…”

“Yes, she’s an ugly girl before”

“Excuse me!” I reacted. I wanted to shout at Hitomi and give her a hurdy slap on her face but I controlled myself. “Thank you for your honest comment, please excuse me, I’m leaving!”

I left without looking back.

I felt dying. I didn’t know if because of her comments or because she was Hitomi. I just headed in the roof top falling on my knees. I put my right palm on my mouth. I was managing not to cry. I didn’t have the right to feel this way because what I heard was purely truth. “Why truth hurts, reality for me is too brutal”

As I turned back from the past I could remember people’s beautiful words.

“Oh, what a pretty young girl”

“She is so angelic”

“You’re lucky for having such daughter”

All used to praised me, but an accident turned everything to black. I lost that face, my mother and younger brother left.

I almost gave up until I found Ohno-sensei. He helped me to realize my other talent and that was drawing. I started to form a dream. I was still unsuccessful but I met Jun who helped me regain my old face.

“Things were starting to be okay but the scar from yesterday is hunting me. I know I’m blessed but why it still hurts, why?”

 

“I found you!” said Min ho after seeing me. “Are you okay?”

I didn’t respond.

“Hitomi went home, I told her to apologize but she hesitates.”

“No, I don’t need her apology”

“Hey Miho, it was the first time I learned about your plastic surgery but it doesn’t matter for me inner beauty is more important, you have it.

I smiled. “Arigatou”

 

After class, Min ho invited me to their house. I had part-time job so I couldn’t come but to show my gratitude I decided to pay a little visit. Min ho was leaving in a mansion with Miss Okuda. It was really elegant.

“I’m nervous” I said.

“Don’t worry, my sister isn’t here yet” Min ho answered.

We stayed at the garden. Min ho asked the maid to prepared strawberry ice cream for us.

I was enjoying his company when the maid returned.

“Young master, there’s a call from your mother”

“For real?” asked Min ho. He then me “For a minute Miho, I’ll just talk to my mother, I’ll demand for additional allowance” the he left.

I continued eating ice cream. I shouldn’t wonder why Min ho took so long, it was his mother, and if I was on his shoe I might spend forever talking to my mom

Suddenly Miss Eun Hye arrived. I stood up upon seeing her.

“Good afternoon, Miss Eun hye!” I greeted.

“Oh, what brought you here?” she asked raising an eye brow.

“Ano…Min ho invites me” I answered.

“I see because you’re a gold digger!”

“No!” I reacted. I wanted to correct her insults but it didn’t make any sense. Miss Eun hye wasn’t listening. She didn’t bother to believe me anyway. “Onesan…”

That word hit her ears.

“Who gave you permission to call me onesan?” She retorted. “I will never accept you in my family…Hitomi is the only woman fitted for Shin, just remember that!”  She warned turning on her heels.

“Miss Eun hye!” I called which made her stopped. “I want to ask why do you hate me but I think I already knew the answer-it because I’m poor, but I won’t give up! I maybe a gold digger, or not good for Jun but one thing is sure- I love him!”

Eun Hye was speechless.

“Don’t worry; I’ll do everything just to prove this love. Thank you because you made me realize this”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

I just smiled.

 

“Miho!” Min ho returned. Eun hye’s presence surprised him “Oneesan…”

“Min ho, thanks for inviting me, I need to go now”

“I understand let me bring you to the gate!”

“Okay”

Eun hye gave sight on us. Tears trickle on her face but she immediately swiped it.

 

“Did she say bad things?” asked Min ho.

“No, actually she made me decide” I answered.

“What do you mean?”

I just smiled then bid my goodbye.

 

In able to prove my love, I end up making a decision.

 

*

Eun hye had a phone call from Hitomi.

“Yes it’s true, he did plastic surgery!”

“Really” That was her only respond.

Hitomi found it weird, she ended the call soon.

Eun hye sat on her bed. She wasn’t on her usual self. Until now she remembered those words: I want to ask why do you hate me but I think I already knew the answer-it because I’m poor, but I won’t give up!

How could she forget the exact words she said before to her mother-in-law?

****

3 more chapters before Jun's mom arrive...but I'm ecxited to include Nino in this story maybe on chapter 18...BTW thank you for reading! Hope to hear comments