Page 13: Arigatou Ushio

Lucky Star

 

I was on the front of TV accidentally watched Jun’s interview. Who could ever tell that a gorgeous man like him was in relation of a girl like me? I knew he chose me over Hitomi but it wasn’t enough. It’s my turn to prove myself.

 

“What’s the meaning of this?” asked Jun. It was 9:00 A.M. when he arrived from work and saw me packed my things.

“I’m leaving!” I replied.

Jun grinned. “Stop kidding, hurry let’s eat breakfast”

“I’m serious, I’m leaving.” My voice was soft trying to convince Jun how serious I was. “I already prepared your breakfast, hope you enjoy it”

“Wait!” Jun grabbed my arm. “Can you explain this? If this is part of a joke, it’s not funny”

“I told you I’m serious” I repeated. “Of course this isn’t a break up. I just want to prove everybody that I’m not a gold digger.” I started to explain. “From now on I’ll be hard working.”

“Why did you decide without even asking me?”

“This time I want to decide on my own!” I answered. “Jun, you’re really a gentleman, I don’t have problem living with you but for a moment I want to be good girl in the sight of your family. I hope you understand”

“No, I don’t understand, why do you need to care about them?!” Jun retorted. The atmosphere became dim.

 

I didn’t have to explain any further. I knew Jun was aware of that.

 “Jun, I love you!”  I said touching his face. “Don’t worry, I’ll be okay.”

He hugged me. “If you promise not to be apart, I’ll let you” he said.

I smiled “Yeah, I promise, I’ll never leave you”

 

If there was somebody who can understand the feeling of being left, it was me. That memory was very vivid. My accident was still fresh so I had the ugly face. I was running after a black car while calling my mother “Mama!”

 

Jun parted from the hug then kissed my forehead “I’ll call you”

 “Me too” I replied.

Before I left I turned to Jun once more “Jun…” I said his name. I stared at him, I was waiting.“I want to hear that from you”

“Take care, Miho!” Jun uttered.

I smiled then walked away. Before I knew it, I was in tears.

*

There was a fine weather when my brother Ushio visited my new apartment. His eyes moved left and right as he observed my place. It was small and made of wood; old storage was the perfect description.

“Nee-chan, are you sure you’re okay to leave here?”

“Of course I am!” I answered confidently. “This is the cheapest apartment I can afford so I’m satisfied.”

“Well, it’s your choice” said Ushio. “By the way, how’s your relation with Omori?”

“His last call was almost a week. He’s busy because of his new movie, but I didn’t fail to send him messages. For sure in any minute he’ll call back.”

“Nice to hear that” Ushio responded. “Speaking of movie, it’s now showing. Let’s watch it”

It had been a long time since I spend spare time with Ushio; it was also my day off so I decided to go with him.

Jun’s movie was block buster. The story was collaboration of action and romance. It was really good; the story, the acting, the editing -all. Only one thing annoyed me, the presence of Jun’s love interest in the story. Of course I tried not to mind it since it was only a drama, until we reached that part:

Jun’s character confessed his love for the girl. It seemed real. The audience were starting to shout as they feel the scene, most especially when the main characters touched their lips.

I stood up and walked out.

“Miho-nee!” Ushio followed me but I didn’t turn back. I walked fast as I could out from the theater till I fell down.

“Miho-nee!!!” Ushio helped me to stand up. He sat me in a bench near us.  “What’s wrong, it’s only a movie”

I didn’t know how to respond and why I felt this way so I bowed my head.

            “Its okay” said Ushio as he held my hands. “I think you’re just missing him”

            “No, I guess I’m really jealous” I admitted. “The way how he said I love you, it so real -that was the exact word I wish to hear from him” Suddenly I felt tears trickling on my face. I didn’t want to but I cried.

            “I love you, nee-chan!” Ushio bit out. “You’re my only sister that’s why I love you!” Ushio repeated as he smiled.

            “Ushio…ariga-!’

            He didn’t wait me to finish, he carried me on his back.

            “Ushio, what are you doing?”

            “We used to do it, don’t we? Let’s go home now!”

           

            True, since the day my mother left, Ushio didn’t let me down. He’s my protector, he’s my friend, and he’s my brother.

 

            “Ushio, why are you doing this?” I asked him, he was carrying me on his back. “I’m the one to blame why you have broken family so why are you doing this?”

            “Don’t think that way, nee-chan, you didn’t do anything” he answered. “I’m your brother so this is my obligation.”

            His answer satisfied me. I laid my head on his back feeling his comfort. It was so warm. “Arigatou, Ushio”

            In Ushio’s mind, there was the memory of our first meeting: He was still a child when his mother left for work. He didn’t want our company so he started crying.

I approached him. “Don’t worry, we’re here for you”

“You’re ugly, I don’t like you!” he replied.

I just smiled giving my hand. “My name is Miho, I’m your sister.”

 

*

            Done with the pictorial, Sho and Jun stayed in the wardrobe.

            “Hey Jun, how’s Miho?” asked Sho.

            Jun was speechless. He wasn’t checking his phone lately so he didn’t have any idea.

            “Don’t tell me, you’re dumping her, are you going back to Hitomi?”

            “No! Of course not!” Jun answered. “I’ll call her…”