Chapter 12

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                 “Hello,” Victoria bowed to the PD, who looked glad to see her. “I’m sorry for me postponing the show for a while. I’ll work hard today.”

                The PD nodded and Victoria bowed again. As soon as his back her, she breathed out and smoothed her clothes.

                Nichkhun walked right up to her, his heart beating so hard he was sure she could hear it. She looked up with a startled expression. Her eyes flickered and she rubbed her arm in awkwardness.

                He opened his mouth to speak, but looked left and right.

                There were a lot of people there, that could possibly hear their conversation.

                “Can we talk, after the recording?” Nichkhun whispered.

                Victoria didn’t answer but nodded her head slightly.

                Nichkhun let out a sigh of relief.

                Throughout the recording, they tried their best to be the lovey-dovey, cute couple they were known for. But every now and then, one person would show awkward movements, that were left unnoticed by the PD, but the other would see it.

                As soon as the recording finished, Nichkhun grabbed Victoria, pulled her into his car, and started the engine. Victoria didn’t say a word.

                The car ride was silent, except for the sound of their breathing. Nichkhun would constantly peer at her, making sure she was okay. Victoria just stared out the window.

-

                Victoria was so lost in thought, that when Nichkhun stopped the car and opened the door for her, she was startled. He helped her out, even though she didn’t need it. He held her hand tightly and led her onto the place he had brought them to.

                They were at the beach, the same one they had came to together months ago. The beach they had runaway to.

                Nichkhun and Victoria walked silently on the sand until their feet reached the water.

                She looked down, as her ankles sunk in the water.

                Victoria looked at Nichkhun, who smiled gently at her.

                Slowly, she looked at their hands, which were clasped together, entwined.

                And then, she looked back at the never-ending ocean in front of her, so beautiful and peaceful.

                “I’m sorry,” Victoria whispered, her hands trembling. “I’m so, so sorry.”

                “Why are you sorry?”

                “I’m sorry because I’m so selfish. I’m sorry because I love you so much.”

                She looked at Nichkhun.

                “Then, I guess I’m sorry, too,” Nichkhun whispered back. “Because I love you so much, as well.”

                Hearing those words from Nichkhun’s mouth, Victoria smiled while crying.

                “I was so stupid," Victoria said softly, still crying. "So haunted from the past, I almost lost you forever. I almost lost a miracle. I almost lost my miracle.”

-

                Nichkhun kissed her, so sudden that he was even surprised with himself. She kissed him back, and when they finally broke apart, he chuckled lightly and murmured to himself.

                “Really, in the end, you’re the only one for me.”