Chapter 24

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               “That was really brave, what you did out there,” Nichkhun commented, affectionately fixing her bangs. Victoria gave a small smile and looked down at her coffee they just ordered. They were in the coffee place they went last time, the day Nichkhun had a special event for her.

                “I just felt so weak compared to you, when it came to our relationship. You’re so confident and you don’t listen to what other people say. But I almost gave in, and I knew I had to not do that.” Victoria took Nichkhun’s hand and played with his fingers.

                “I’m sorry that she was a bit harsh,” Nichkhun clasped onto Victoria’s hand. “I don’t think she meant what she said.”

                “It’s alright. If I was your devoted fan, and you started dating another celebrity, I would’ve put all my anger out on that girl, as well.” Victoria gave Nichkhun’s hand a squeeze, and she smiled.

                “That’s my Victoria,” Nichkhun grinned, patting her cheeks. Victoria squealed as she tried to wiggle out of his hands. He looked down and saw her half-empty coffee cup.

                “You must be hungry.” Nichkhun got up and looked at the counters where breads and pastries were displayed. “What do you want?”

                Victoria gave a big smile. “Anything’s fine.”

                “Alright,” Nichkhun waved at her and stared intently at the counter, lips pouting as he thought of what to buy.

                Victoria affectionately continued to gaze at him, but she was suddenly startled by her phone ringing.

                “Hello?” Victoria answered it right away. “Mom?”

                Nichkhun heard, and he spun around, still paying for the pastries. He randomly pointed all over the place. He mouthed words to her, but she couldn’t tell what he was saying. Instead, she listened as her mother continued.          

                “Mom, what are you doing in Korea?” Victoria gave an exasperated sigh. “You didn’t even tell me you were coming! I would’ve gotten you a gift, or I would-“

                Victoria stopped talking as she listened to her mom.

                “Fine, fine,” Victoria said. “I’ll see you soon, okay? Love you, too.” Victoria closed the phone with a happy snap and she faced Nichkhun.

                “My mom’s just leaving the airport,” Victoria got up and tottered on her heels. “She wants to see us.”

                “Us? As in, me, too?” Nichkhun looked scared for his life.

                Victoria laughed, linking her arm with his, and she split the pastry in half, offering Nichkhun one half.

                “It’s okay. My mom’s not scary or anything. But, it is surprising. If she was visiting us to Korea, she would have told me beforehand.”

                Nichkhun slowly nodded, nibbling his lips.  He abruptly stopped and Victoria looked surprised.

                “What?” Victoria looked confused.

                “Do I look okay?” Nichkhun looked uneasy and he looked down at his outfit. “I mean, is this to your mother’s liking. Do I look too casual?”

                “Goodness,” Victoria laughed. She poked him. “You look fine. Now, can we please get a move along? We should get mom a gift before meeting her.”

                “A gift…right,” Nichkhun linked his arms with Victoria’s again, and lead the way through the street sidewalks.

-

                Victoria looked around, peering behind people and searching every corner of the restaurant. She let out a sigh, and opened her phone in case of any texts or missed calls.

                “Where is she?” Victoria straightened her posture and ran her fingers through her hair. “She’s 30 minutes late!”

                Nichkhun could sense worry in her voice, and patted her hand, although he was concerned, too. He bit his lip and looked at the empty chair across from him. He sipped his glass of water with his other hand, and he squeezed Victoria’s hand tightly.

                “She’s not answering her calls,” Victoria worriedly tapped her phone. “Do you think something happened?”

                “Nothing happened,” Nichkhun assured her, yet he doubted that. “Maybe she got lost with the directions.”

                Victoria sighed. “You’re probably right.  Let’s leave. We should wait outside for mom.”

                Nichkhun and Victoria slowly walked out of the restaurant, and were blasted by the cold air as they left the door. Looking around and shuffling his feet, Nichkhun pointed at her phone.

                “You should call her one more time, in case.”

                Victoria nodded. “I will.”

                Just as she was about to dial her mother’s number, the familiar phone number called her, startling her. Victoria sighed with relief when she realized it was her mother.

                “Mom!” Victoria spoke immediately as she answered it. “Where are you-“

                Victoria quieted, her eyes growing big. She opened , closed it, and opened it again. Shock flashed in her eyes, and her hands were trembling.

                “What’s wrong?” Nichkhun took the phone away from her just as she was about to drop it, and pressed it against his ear. Soundlessly, he listened to what the person on the other line told him. Finally, he hung up and looked at Victoria. Her face was covered by her hands and she was shaking.

                Nichkhun hugged her, but he knew it didn’t help at all.

                “It’s okay,” Nichkhun whispered. “She’ll be okay.”