Chapter 3

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                Nichkhun flung his whole body back in surprise, tipping over the bed, and finally landing on the floor. He winced and rubbed his head, but Victoria still didn’t move from her sleeping position.

                “What were you doing?” she repeated, her eyes narrowed with curiosity, and her head tilted to one side.

                “Nothing,” Nichkhun blurted out. He scratched his neck and looked another direction, as if he was trying to search for something.

                “It was obviously something,” Victoria got up, her legs crossed. She stretched her arms for a bit before returning back to him. “What, was there something on my face?”

                “No!” Nichkhun said hotly. “Just, you looked pretty when you were sleeping…so I was just looking, okay?”

                “Oh, really?” Victoria pondered for a bit. “Was I that pretty?”

                “No,” Nichkhun lied. He pretended to shrug like he could care less. “I’ve seen better looking girls in my life.”

                Victoria picked up her pillow and threw it at Nichkhun.

                “I’m going to sleep,” she whipped around and faced the other direction. It was obvious she was pouting. Nichkhun couldn’t stop smiling.

               “Good night then,” Nichkhun said as he slowly, deliberately, walked out of the room. Just as he flicked the lights off, he could hear her replying before finally shutting the door behind him.

                “…’Night.”

-

                “Hey, are you okay?” Nichkhun rushed to Victoria once she left the stage of Inkigayo.

                “I’m fine,” Victoria brushed him off. “Just a slip.”

                “Are you sure? It looked like it really hurt,” Nichkhun commented, worrying. He could see her limping a bit.

                “I said, I’m fine,” Victoria snapped at him. Her face was flushed. She scowled. “You probably enjoyed seeing me on the floor like that, did you? It was too humiliating for me to even process yet you were probably laughing at me, right? Mocking me?”

                “What are you even talking about?” Nichkhun shot back, his hands clenched. “I was worried about you! Yet you blame me for laughing at you?”

                Even though Nichkhun was angry, he lend out his hand for her to hold, so he could guide her back to her dressing room. She irately refused to take it and walked past him. He paced forward to catch up.

                “I don’t even know what’s wrong with you! I’m trying to help you, can’t you see?” Nichkhun sighed with frustration and tried to hold her arm.

                Victoria stopped and faced him. She grabbed his hand and snatched it off her arm, and dropped it, leaving his hand dangling by his side.

                “I may be physically hurt, but accepting help from you would hurt my pride, as well. So, just back off, will you?”

                Nichkhun angrily stepped back, both hands in tight fists now.

                “Fine.”

                And he spun off, and walked away.