Chapter 5

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               “She’s in her room.”

                Nichkhun slowly stepped in the dorm. He looked around. It was relatively small, no bigger than the 2pm dorm. He felt awkward there, surrounded by the other f(x) members. They looked a bit peeved at him.

                “Where’s her room?” Nichkhun spoke out, uncomfortably rubbing his arm. He looked at Krystal for help. She pointed vaguely at the hallway.

                “It’s that room.”

                Ok-ay, thanks. Which room, again? There are 3 rooms, Krystal.

                Nichkhun shuffled down the hallway, peering into the first room he saw, which was luckily open so he wouldn’t have to open it himself. He didn’t see Victoria. He trudged on to the one across from that room and quietly opened the door, she wasn’t there, either. Biting his lip, Nichkhun made his way to the last door, which was at the very end. Slowly, he opened it and found Victoria there, finally.

                She wasn’t sleeping, yet she didn’t seem like she was awake either. Her eyes were half-closed, like narrow slits. Her hair was spread out on her pillow and her legs stuck straight out. She didn’t seem to have heard or noticed Nichkhun yet. She was so deep in thought.

                “Knock, knock,” Nichkhun quietly said, startling Victoria. She bolted up, her eyes staring at him.

                “What are you doing here?” Victoria scrambled to the corner of her bed, automatically smoothing her hair. Nichkhun noticed she missed a piece of hair that stuck out from one side. Secretly, he was amused. It made her look cute.

                “What are you doing here?” Victoria repeated, and Nichkhun realized he hadn’t replied yet. Clearing his throat, he made his way to her bed until he sat on the end of it.

                “I wanted to apologize,” Nichkhun said. “For being a jerk today during recording.”

                Victoria shook her head.

                “No, I’m sorry,” Victoria looked embarrassed but serious. “I was over-reacting and being dramatic. You have no need to apologize. I’m also sorry for my behavior to you a few days at Inkigayo. Falling down during my performance was humiliating for me and I kind of put my anger out on you. I didn’t realize you were only trying to help me until after. I was mean.”

                “You’re always mean,” Nichkhun said, jokingly. Victoria threatened to throw her pillow at him. He put his hand on the pillow and put it down. “I mean, we’re always mean to each other.”

                Victoria paused for a minute, thinking about it.

                “You know, you’re right,” Victoria murmured. “We always seem to hate each other. Why is that?”

                Suddenly overwhelmed with the awkwardness and emotion in the air, Nichkhun quickly changed the subject.

                “So, were you serious? About leaving the show, I mean?” Nichkhun asked, his hands flexing. He waited, anticipating for her answer.

                “Not really,” Victoria shrugged. “I was just saying that so that the PD-nim can start paying attention to how I feel during the recording.” She saw his relieved look on the side of his face. She continued, stifling a laugh. “But, I kind of do want to leave the show. It’s tiring me and interfering with my schedule.”

                “Are you serious?”

                “Yes.”

                “Fine, then I’ll leave the show, even if you won’t.”

                “Ok-ay. I’d like to see you actually try.”

                “Then it’s a bet. I’ll leave the show. You’ll regret it.”

                “Call the PD right now, then.”

                “Now?”

                “Now.”

                Nichkhun racked his brain for something to say.

                “Never mind, then,” Nichkhun said quickly. “This show boosts my popularity. I think I’ll hold onto it for a bit longer.”               

                “Sometimes, you really are like a little child.”