Chapter 18

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                She sprang up, Nichkhun easily stepping one step back, so he wouldn’t be hit by her head. He smiled widely at her, his face glowing and beaming.

                “Hey.”

                “What are you doing here?” Victoria managed to speak out, her eyes still wide in shock.

                Nichkhun chuckled.

                “That doesn’t matter.”

                “Yes, it does. When did you wake up? Are you even fit enough to be in California right now?” Victoria’s voice only sounded sharp because she was truly worried for Nichkhun.

                “Can we talk about that later?” Nichkhun playfully pleaded, his hair getting in the way of his eyes. Victoria wanted to reach out to brush them off.

                “So, hey.” Nichkhun repeated, his eyes clearly stating that he was awaiting her reaction.

                Victoria soundlessly stepped one step back. Nichkhun noticed that, and a confused expression appeared on his face. Victoria took another step back. He tried to step towards her but she held out her hand to stop him.

                “What’s wrong?” He gave an uncertain smile.  “Didn’t you miss me? Because I missed you.”

                A smile broke out on Victoria’s face. Her heart was beating so fast and the words ‘I love you’ trembled on her lips, threatening to speak.

                “I love you.”

                Victoria called out to him, her eyes wide, cheeks flushed.

                 Without giving Nichkhun a chance to react, she ran to him and hugged him, knocking him off the ground and both of them falling to the ground. She continued to hug him, not letting go. She rested her head on his shoulder, and inhaled the scent she had missed so much.

                Nichkhun hugged her back tightly, his hair brushing against her cheek. She missed his warmth, his strong arms.

                 She grinned as she broke off the hug. She stared at him, her eyes bright.

                “Did you hear? I love you.”

                Nichkhun put his hands on her cheek and smiled.

                “I love you, too.”

-

                “You’re an idiot!” Nichkhun felt Victoria slap his arm. It was a light slap, but he pretended to wince in pain.

                “Ouch, why?” Nichkhun playfully pouted and tried to hug Victoria. They were both in Victoria’s hotel room. The f(x) members had teased Victoria and left her with Nichkhun and went shopping by themselves.

                “Why? You’re asking me why? You got into an accident, a car accident! Do you know how scared I was? I thought you would never wake up! I though you would die-“

                Victoria stopped, and looked out at the balcony.

                “I thought you would die like Jason.”

                Nichkhun’s voice got caught in his throat, and he was speechless. Victoria slid off the bed and walked out onto the balcony, looking out at California. Nichkhun got off, too, and put his hands around her, and gave her a back hug. He sighed, face pressed against her neck.

                “I’m sorry,” Nichkhun hugged her tighter, feeling tears pricking in his eyes. “I’m sorry for being such a stupid boyfriend and hurting you.”

                Victoria turned around and she hugged him back, holding in her tears. There was no need for her to cry, because she was happy just the way things were right now. She leaned back and gave Nichkhun a kiss on the cheek and smiled brightly.

                “It’s okay, because I tend to like dumb boyfriends more than smart boyfriends. I think they’re cuter.” Victoria pressed her hands against his cheek and blinked.

                “I tend to like bossy girlfriends more than sweet, gentle ones too. They’re not necessarily cuter but-“  

                “-Hey!” Victoria interrupted him, her eyes wide in disbelief. Nichkhun laughed, backing away, and quickly sliding the door behind him. Happy and feeling loose, he just beamed back at Victoria as she showed his mock anger.

                “Open this door, right now!”

                “What’s the magic word?” Nichkhun teased.

                Victoria stopped and shyly smiled.

                “Kiss?” Victoria innocently said in her cute, slurred Korean.

                Nichkhun slid open the door and gave a cheesy pose.

                “Correct.”

                And then he kissed her. A short, sweet kiss yet he was so happy, and so was she.